Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interchangeable Wenger/Victorinox tools?

Offline James Downey

Interchangeable Wenger/Victorinox tools?
on: December 26, 2019, 09:01:21 PM
When customizing, how much modification is needed to switch tools between old Wenger and Victorinox models? More specifically, I am wondering about adding 1-2 Wenger Tools to an 84mm Victorinox or maybe even adding to a 74mm Executive to give an extra layer of tools.

Offline James Downey

Re: Interchangeable Wenger/Victorinox tools?
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 09:08:47 PM
Even more specifically, are the pivot holes larger on Wenger comparable models, smaller, or the same? I'd prefer to avoid the (SAKmodder?) bushing technique used to take 91mm scissors to the smaller 84mm size. If Wenger 85mm is similar to Victorinox 84mm and altering isn't too time consuming, then I think Wenger makes some really unique tools.

Apologies to the purists out there...I tend to be in that stream, and likely will be for my outdoors SAK, but I'm just exploring my options for useful city carry tools and Wenger has some neat options. However, the Victorinox profile is my preference.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 09:55:29 PM
For interchangeability it depends on the tools you’re looking to swap.  Figuring out which springs work is the hardest part.  The wenger pivots are 2.5mm which are the same as 91mm Vic stuff and 84mm Vic is 2.25mm.  You mentioned scissors in your post, there is a tutorial on doing that here.  You need a recruit blade spring and an old thick blade to cutoff and reshape for the other end.

Offline James Downey

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 04:49:56 AM
For interchangeability it depends on the tools you’re looking to swap.  Figuring out which springs work is the hardest part.  The wenger pivots are 2.5mm which are the same as 91mm Vic stuff and 84mm Vic is 2.25mm.  You mentioned scissors in your post, there is a tutorial on doing that here.  You need a recruit blade spring and an old thick blade to cutoff and reshape for the other end.

Thanks for the help on pivot size. I guess that's what I wanted to know. Not planning a scissors transfer or any of the more complicated tools. Just looking for something unique but simple to round out a 3rd layer on a 74mm I'm working on and just getting info for future modding. Given how expensive some of the discontinued models are, I'd prefer building on someone else's knowledge before defacing a classic and potentially ruining tools for the sake of experimentation.

us Offline Simyo

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 06:16:06 AM
Best advice, is to build a handful of models to learn and use the dream build as the carrot on a stick.  That way you get through some of the challenges and issues while you learn.  Feel free to ask for assistance here in the forum or shoot me a dm I’ll help where I can.

au Offline Jspiggle

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 09:55:39 PM
They are harder to find but tools from 65mm wengers (https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-Keychain-All-Knives.html) will fit easier in a 74mm. Both have 2mm pivots and both are designed thinner to fit in the “double floating spring” style frames.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%