Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Upcoming rebrand & quality improvements ahead (One to watch for 2021)

Megan · 23 · 3767

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?

Today I had a great chat with SOG founder Spencer Fraser, and members of his team. Spencer is retiring and we wished him the best on behalf of the fine folks here at MTO.

But what's going on with SOG? We all know that SOG has produced some really interesting designs over the years. Their compound leverage tech for multitools is effective too. But as you can see through the threads on our forum, the quality has not always been up to par. My conversation with SOG leads me to believe that they're listening. They're changing up what they're doing and they'll be moving away from lower end retailers like Wal-Mart, and Amazon, meaning they won't be catering to that price point market.

I was happy to hear that they've been reading threads here on our forum. They heard how annoyed MTO members were with the giant flashy SOG logos on all of their products, and the concerns over material and workmanship.

They're currently in the middle of a re-brand and they say they're going back to their founding roots. They're moving away from “SOG” and going back to “Studies and Observations Group”.

Their newest multitool was designed prior to the changes and re-brand. I will admit that I am not sure it will be one of my favourites, however I am really into their new knife line up. They feel very good in the hand, and the quality to me matches the clever design.

I'll be posting more about the knives when I have a moment later, but I wanted to share something with you ahead of time. I had an opportunity to see where Studies and Observations Group is headed for 2021 and I am pumped. It looks like for the first time in a long while, we might have a unique plier-based multi tool. I viewed some early designs which I wasn't permitted to take photos of, or describe. But I will say that we have something to look forward to in 2021. And I think SOG will be one to watch. SOG has always been good to us at MTO, and our fingers are crossed that their new multis are what we're hoping for!
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Always wondered what SOG means... Looking forward to what they have in store for next year... :popcorn:

se Offline RF52

:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
I didn’t know what SOG meant either - nice to know!  :like: :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

I don‘t own any SOGs yet, but what you are describing sounds interesting. Will be watching!  :popcorn:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Well thank goodness for this news! Hopefully itll be a solid feeling, beefy tool. Enough flimsy and flashy already.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline cody6268

I sure hope we start seeing some Seki-made blades (and tools) again. The Tomcat is one heck of a blade, but those are a bit hard to get, even harder if you don't want one that's a trainwreck and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

My main SOG users are old--MicroToolclip from the 1990s (which is typical Seki quality, and rivals, if not surpasses, my SAKs--same with its big brother) and an early  Pocket Power Plier I've modified slightly by swapping the PE blade for an SE (for a long time, it had PE and SE blades, with no file).  Speaking of files, I sure hope we see a rather aggressive one.

Usually, we hear of the opposite. Once well respected companies that basically just produce low-end garbage. Look at the junk being produced by Smith and Wesson/BTI/Taylor (who bought Schrade's trademarks in 2004) and Acme (Camillus/Clauss). Instead, they're making a move back to what they got started with--quality blades.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I hope they move away from assisted opening in their knives... especially the ones with the XR lock, love my Terminus XR. The new Flash/Aegis look really great but for me, assisted is a deal breaker.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

england Offline Kev D

Its great to hear they are getting back to their roots.  Their build quality has seemed a little flimsy the last year or two so hopefully they return with some quality tools.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 :iagree: and glad to hear about this from SOG ( I am still gonna write it instead of the other older name they are gonna be going by again and do realize it would have been quicker to write it out now instead :facepalm: :D )

Great write up, Megan and awesome you got to meet the founder :o :like:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Happy retirement Spencer Fraser  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Hope to see some quality multitools  :popcorn:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

Offline mikekoz

Would love to see them move more of their manufacturing back to the US!  :salute: :tu:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
   Would love to see them move more of their manufacturing back to the US!  :salute: :tu:

Where ever they decide to manufacture, I just want the quality to get to where it needs to be. USA made stuff is cool, but I have several folders made with great materials that are solid and they were made in China.

I think SOG just let their quiver get too full. They had SO MANY different models. I think they should focus on a handful of models, execute them well instead of releasing so many new models every year. SOG got a ton of press the last few years at SHOT bc of the sheer amount of new models. Then we got them in hand and realized it was all smurfe. That one year the Batons came out was ridiculous - so many new SOG multis that year.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
I am super excited. I've long felt that SOG's designs and concepts were cleverer than the competition, but i'm always let down by the execution. Very interested in this rebrand :woohoo:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline mikekoz

Funny thing about SOG to me is, I like most of their current designs better than the older ones. I could never get into the covers over the tools. However, the newer tools seems to have been made out of inferior and lighter steel. The older ones feel like they would hold up a lot better. I have no way of actually proving that, but after you handle so many multitools, one can sometimes get an idea of how well one is made, even before using it. :dunno:

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
I have always been a SOG fan(atic!). I have a Tomcat and numerous other folders, as well as several fixed blades. I have always gone high end so I haven't experienced the problems noted. My latest are the Seal XR and the new PowerAccess Deluxe. Love em, love em, love em.

T

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
It will be interesting to see what the rebrand brings us  :like:

us Offline gregpost

If they're going to make multitools they have to invest in the tools. The knives have always been decent or great it's the tools that are seriously lacking. To go from using a Victorinox or Leatherman to a SOG, I definitely feel like I'm using something inferior, which is a shame because they have interesting ideas and formats.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
I recall around 1986, SOG was a top-notch, tactical knife-company with real, innovative designs.  One need only look at the Tomcat, Tigershark, and Trident to understand this.  Somewhere, along-the-way, they became a parody of themselves.  But had a few high-lights along the way, with some of their "multis".  Especially, the Paladin 6510 PT-525 collaboration for dedicated telephone/IT work.  People still want to purchase mine.  I would advise SOG that; this is still an 'untapped' market, and a potential gold mine.  I'm for them returning to their 'roots', and would rather purchase a more expensive quality-item.   
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline NetsNJ

Talk is cheap.  Let's wait and see.

(Says the sucker who still buys sog mts because he has an my disease)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%