Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

March SWISSTOOL Madness

Douglas · 1225 · 31142

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Re: March SWISSTOOL Madness
Reply #1170 on: April 01, 2020, 06:12:43 AM
 :like:
Great write up.   Bet the Spirit WILL be the pliar based multitool of choice if you do have a need for an MT.  :pok: :pok:

Thanks for being a part of this great Challenge.  I look forward to seeing all those new Spirit and Swisstool badges.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1171 on: April 01, 2020, 07:10:16 AM
Day 30

First and forthmost, thank you to Douglas for this challenge and congratulations to those whom have finished.  I have owned the Swisstool for a long time, yet never did I really put it on person and carry it on a daily basis.  This challenge provides that perfect opportunity to do it, so thank you!

After a month of carrying the Swisstool, mostly in pocket or thru the ranger band.  It reminds me awfully lot about a challenge I did earlier, the ST300.  Maybe because they weight felt really similar.  But personally, I favor the Swisstool a lot more than the ST300, since all the tool implements are so easily accessible all from the outside.  I think what I used most through out the challenge is the knife, small flathead, phillips and the scissors.  It is afterall one of the first plier-based MTs Vic brought out and they could be borrowing ideas from all their 91mm products, I constantly felt this tool is just a much bigger brother to my 91mm.  My only small con with this tool is I could feel a tiny bit of sharp corners from the saw and the file whenever I am using the screwdrivers, but then it could be just me nit picking.

Midway thru the challenge, I read a post regarding the binding of pliers of the new Leatherman Free P4, and I think it probably affects every owner(including me) one way or another.  A firm 'hand shake' on the P4 pliers and it could cause binding to the pliers.  I can't help but to try it on Swisstool and Spirit, but the same problem didn't seem to haunt Vic products.  I don't have all the production knowledge as Aimlesswanderer and to know why that's happening to LM, but it's pretty amazing Victorinox get it right from the start 20 some years ago.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1172 on: April 01, 2020, 07:15:27 AM
Bonus pic:
Spirit of sunset
(Image removed from quote.)

And one more from 2016 Spirit Challenge:

Beautiful and pretty creative!  :like:

Swiss Fuzz Day 30 - Fin!

It's the last day and look who decided to turn up...

Ain't that the same chicken love bird that abandoned you last year in annual challenge?  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1173 on: April 01, 2020, 07:23:13 AM
:hatsoff:  Day 30 -  :multi:
Last day to report before moving into Buck110 mode.

This is the first I actually utilized my Spirit for actual use.  I always looked at it as a piece of ART. and was afraid it was to delicate for my needs.  Well I was so wrong!

It is tough, it is elegant, it pretty, and it is tough. 

I selected my Spirit model because I have been impressed with Victorinox serrated blades. And it did not disappoint.  Yet there were times a spear point would have been handy, I learned to use the AWL or edge of the chisel.

I have enjoyed the Spirit’s companionship, and hardiness, BUT, I do think I spent as much time polishing it as using.

I do wish a model was available with the A spear point serrated blade like the one on the Spartan/Weekender.

My final picture for the challenge-

On that note, it might be an interesting project to look into, turning a spear point blade into a serrated spear point.

The Swisstool and Spirit are still by far my favorite MTs and I find it impressive just how "right" Vic got it with these tools.  They have stood the test of time with minimal changes in the design and are still just as relevent today as when fist introduced.  Having joined MTO and been through several challenges over the past three years there are a few things in other brands that I think Vic could incorperate into their design.  I would love to see a OHO main blade, bit holder (maybe along the lines of what SOG did on the Powerplay), wider opening pliars, larger wire cutting area, wire crimpng tool, Spirit chisel on all models, Swisstool Scissors an all models, and maybe a diamond file. One last thing and this goes for all Vic tools, STOP polishing the drivers so much, an unpollished driver grips better.  Although I would like to see a Swisstool veriant with these features, it does not deminish my LOVE of the tools just as the are.  As we would say in Texas, VICTORNOX ya' done GOOD!
Now Mods any chance we might see Swisstool and Spirt Collector badges pop up anytime soon? :pok: :pok:
That's really well said, and if anything, even just an OHO blade on Spirit would make it the perfect MT for me.

Vic blade steel is just like a good woman and another thing they got right.  One just needs to know how to take care of it, a little gentle stroking goes a long way.  :whistle:
Brother, you sure about this?  :rofl:

March 31 (more bonus material):

Finished up a few extra masks. Swisstool helped with sniping and cutting again. Hope to do a few more tomorrow, then drop 'em off at the hospital. For these, I tried to imagine what would go with Fuzzy's special pajamas and bunny slippers.

Great job for a great cause! :hatsoff:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #1174 on: April 01, 2020, 08:59:03 AM
Many thanks, Douglas, for setting this up - I must confess that I hadn’t used the Spirit much before, but I am impressed with the Plus ratchet set and I will be carrying it in my work edc once we’re all out of lockdown of course! Like Sos24, I do miss the magnifier, so a SAK with magnifier will remain part of my standard pocket kit, especially my InvesTigator which has my most used tool set. Looking forward to joining those of you who will be doing the Stack challenge with Comis this month! Cheers all! :cheers: And thank you again Douglas! :hatsoff:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1175 on: April 01, 2020, 09:32:24 AM
Many thanks, Douglas, for setting this up - I must confess that I hadn’t used the Spirit much before, but I am impressed with the Plus ratchet set and I will be carrying it in my work edc once we’re all out of lockdown of course! Like Sos24, I do miss the magnifier, so a SAK with magnifier will remain part of my standard pocket kit, especially my InvesTigator which has my most used tool set. Looking forward to joining those of you who will be doing the Stack challenge with Comis this month! Cheers all! :cheers: And thank you again Douglas! :hatsoff:

The Spirit did the hand-off earlier

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1176 on: April 01, 2020, 01:57:41 PM
Badges awarded    :cheers:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #1177 on: April 01, 2020, 01:58:57 PM

Heck, I forgot to apply for one!  :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1178 on: April 01, 2020, 03:13:33 PM

Thanks Steve!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #1179 on: April 01, 2020, 03:53:19 PM
Thanks Steve.  I Liked the Swiss Tool. But I've concluded that I don't like it as much as the Spirit that I've carried every day for the last couple of years.  I'm happy to be switching back. I just feel that I didn't gain anything for the size and weight difference and the Spirit seems a little more refined. I'll see you awl in the April challenges. :climber:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #1180 on: April 01, 2020, 04:01:56 PM
Heck, I forgot to apply for one!  :)

Aye, same here...  :ahhh

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1181 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:18 PM
Great challenge with great uses and photos! Was fun to follow along!  :like:

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #1182 on: April 01, 2020, 06:38:05 PM
Many thanks, Steve! :cheers:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #1183 on: April 01, 2020, 06:49:28 PM
Hey, I got a badgie!  :cheers:

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #1184 on: April 01, 2020, 06:56:23 PM
Waiting my badge, but no rush.

Only Tools Matters

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #1185 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:12 PM
Thanks for the badge!  :salute:

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #1186 on: April 01, 2020, 07:36:20 PM
Cheers Steve  :cheers:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1187 on: April 01, 2020, 07:44:43 PM
Thanks Steve!  Thanks again for a great challenge Douglas, and everyone who participated for a great time!
Barry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #1188 on: April 01, 2020, 07:54:50 PM
Badges awarded   :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1189 on: April 01, 2020, 08:40:51 PM
Thanks, Steve!   :clap:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #1190 on: April 01, 2020, 08:47:26 PM
just for the bonus : day 31!

Used the spirit to free up that nice Convoy S2+ that came in the mail today !

==> it is cool !
Spirit_Madness_Day31-20200401.jpg
* Spirit_Madness_Day31-20200401.jpg (Filesize: 66.72 KB)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:56:16 PM by m47mu74nt »
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1191 on: April 01, 2020, 08:49:51 PM
Very nice!!!
Barry

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1192 on: April 01, 2020, 09:09:52 PM
Thanks, Steve. 

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1193 on: April 01, 2020, 09:10:43 PM
just for the bonus : day 31!

Used the spirit to free up that nice Convoy S2+ that came in the mail today !

==> it is cool !

Nice new light that could make a nice carry combo.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1194 on: April 01, 2020, 10:16:41 PM
Spirit and Yeoman combo!  The best of both worlds.  I love my Swisstool, but it does weigh a bit compared to the Spirit.  Still, it's a fantastic Multitool.
Barry

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #1195 on: April 02, 2020, 12:14:55 AM
Great to see SO MANY new, well earned Badges.  Seems both tools were well received and no one has found any significant faults with them.  This in my opinion has been a resounding success and is a testiment to the quality and engineering of Victorinox.  Everyone keeps thanking me but you should all be thanking yourselves.  It was your willingness, your time and your devotion that made this work.  I just through the idea out there,  YOU ALL MADE IT A SUCCESS! 
So CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU EVERYONE.  :cheers:  I had a great time.  :cheers:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1196 on: April 02, 2020, 01:12:11 AM
Spirit and Yeoman combo!  The best of both worlds.  I love my Swisstool, but it does weigh a bit compared to the Spirit.  Still, it's a fantastic Multitool.

If I was going to carry both a SAK and a MT then that would be my most likely combo.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #1197 on: April 03, 2020, 05:35:14 AM
:popcorn:  What's next?
Good work, Nix! :hatsoff:  Sos24- can’t wait to see the finished article! Comis and Douglas - thanks for the lesson on files, I always learn things on these threads! That Brad looks great, Comis, I can see why you couldn’t wait! :like:

Well I finished today.  It is another dog leash, but this one is for Fisher.

It is a multifunctional hands-free leash.  The crown sinnet make it feel almost like a bungee.

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #1198 on: April 03, 2020, 07:27:09 AM
Wow!!
Beautiful work and fast too.  Impressive  :salute: :tu: :salute:
Dr.  McCoy

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1199 on: April 03, 2020, 07:30:21 AM
Well I finished today.  It is another dog leash, but this one is for Fisher.
It is a multifunctional hands-free leash.  The crown sinnet make it feel almost like a bungee.

Awesome work, and thank you for coming back to the thread to show it!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD