Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber multi tools

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Gerber multi tools
on: January 04, 2020, 08:31:23 AM
Chako has done an exceptional job with product information with the Gerber Episode's thread, the Gerber website is helpful (mostly) helpful with what current line of products are still sold and I managed to locate the country of origin (with packaging info to verify) with a sizable amount of Gerber products in the import Gerbers thread, this might help with a consolidated thread with information. 

Also I imagine most know this, another  area to locate Gerber information is in the Gerber multi tool encyclopedia.   

Gerber Military Provisional Tool
Vintage: 1990's.   Not sure when this was discontinued.
Country of origin: USA
Side note:  There was two variations of this unit.  Later model had nail nicks and "speed bumps".

Gerber Multiplier First Production Run
Vintage: 1991 to 1993.  Similar to the MPT, not sure when this unit was discontinued. 
Country of origin:  USA
Side note:  Having bought one one of these a while ago, these came with a leather sheath with a metal clip. 

Gerber Multi Plier 600
Vintage: 1998 and 1999, still in production.
Country of origin:  Originally this was entirely USA made, presently this is made in the United States with global materials.
Side note: Not including the present Saf-t- lock variation, there were two variations of this unit.  One had Torx screws and the other solid flush pins.  Also this was originally to be named multi lock. At one point there was an option of these without replaceable wire cutters, but that is no longer the case presently.

There was also a Fisherman, Cable cutter, "build your own", Woodsman, special MP600, pro scout, sight tool and DET tool.  Only the pro scout, sight tool and DET tool are still currently sold.  Pro scout has an adapter to use u shank jig saw blades, whereas the sight tool and det tool are military oriented tools.

Gerber Multi Plier 400/450 Compact
Vintage: 1999, still in production.   MP 450 has been discontinued, but I lack substantial evidence to prove when.  Speculating in 2016/2017.
Country of origin: Similar to the MP600, this was once entirely USA made, the current variations are made in USA of global materials.
Side note:  There was a cork screw and advertiser variation.  When these were discontinued I am not certain.

Gerber MP 650 Evolution
Vintage: 2002.  Unknown when discontinued
Country of origin:  USA, however this may or may not have been made in USA of global components. 
Note:  This was the only Gerber multi tool to have several plier head configurations Unlike MP600, MP400/450, MP650 did not have sliding jaws and as such couldn't be folded away. 

Gerber Multi-Lite
Vintage: 1998 and discontinued during the 2000's.
Country of origin: USA.
Side note:  Ultica Kutmaster has a slightly similar design to this, Utica MiniMaster 11-3536CP.  However the Multi Lite had a light emitting diode and the lids came in different colors. There was even a version with a corkscrew as well.

Gerber Keystyle
Vintage: Early to mid 2000's.  There is very little information on this tool.
Country of origin: Unknown.  Speculative answer is USA, but no information is marked on the tool or any tool packaging I've seen.

Side note:  This tool has a "Swiss army" shape and while the knife, Phillips and slotted driver lock, the scissors do not.  Tweezers were also included in this unit.  In 2019, I made a Gerber Keystyle thread showing the different model numbers, colors and other information.

Gerber Recoil
Vintage: 2003, unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: Portland Oregon USA

Side note: This multi tool is spring loaded and unlike later models, these springs are under "considerable" amount of force and have a button to unlock/lock this unit. To use 1/4 inch screwdriver drivers, the Gerber 22-49445 adapter is needed.  Worth noting the adapter has been discontinued some time ago.

Gerber Diesel
Vintage: 2005, still in production.
Country of origin:  Speculating this unit may have been made in USA of global materials from 2005 and remains to the case at the time of this post.
Side note: Icons are stamped on the handles, different pivots and this requires the Gerber 22-49445 adapter to use 1/4 inch screwdriver bits. 

Gerber Free Hand
Vintage: 2006, unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: China. Check out the Gerber Imports thread as I uncovered a Youtube "unboxing" video showing the packaging information.
Side note:  All outside accessible tools.

Gerber Flik
Vintage: 2007, unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: China.
Side note: This had Sliding jaws.

Gerber Flik Fisherman
Vintage: 2009

Gerber MP 800 Legend
Vintage: 2000, still in production.
Country of origin:  May have originally been entirely USA made, presently made in USA with global materials. 
Side note:  This is  multi tool uses the butterfly design, has carbide replaceable teeth and thumb thuds on the knife as well with the scissors.

Gerber MP 700
Vintage:2001/2002, uncertain when discontinued.
Country of origin:  Originally USA made, later versions were more than likely made in USA of global materials potentially. 

Side note:  Having bought a new in clam shell MP700's, turns out the model number was 48251 and the paper product sheet mentions patent numbers 6088860 and 5946752.  Turns out the sheath was sewn in Mexico, while the paper reads made in USA or Mexico with the tool made in USA.  Full sku number was 13658 48251.  This was the smaller version of the MP700, still had carbide wire replaceable inserts, but this had a locking set of tweezers.  This unit did not have a u shank jig saw adapter.

Gerber Grappler
Vintage: 2010, unknown when discontinued
Country of origin:  China.
Side note:  Gerber's only locking pliers multi tool.

Gerber Steady
Vintage: 2012, unknown when discontinued.
Side note:   Introduced for the photographic market. 

Gerber Myth Archery Tool
Vintage: 2013 to 2014.  Unknown discontinuation date.
Country of origin: China
Side note:  This has an adjustable wrench instead of pliers and was intended as the name implies to the archery industry.

Gerber Eclipse
Vintage: 2003.  Unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: Taiwan. 
Side note:  This is a key chain multi tool that has scissors instead of pliers.

Gerber Solstice
Vintage: 2004, unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: Speculative of this being made in China, but perhaps this was also made in Taiwan? 

Gerber Shortcut and Clutch
Vintage: 2005-2009.
Side note:  Keychain multi tools.

Gerber Splice and Vice
Vintage: 2009, still in production.
Side note:  Splice is scissors based, whereas the vise is pliers based.

Gerber Curve
Vintage:  2009, still in production.
Sidenote: Key chain tool with carabiner.  This unit does not have pliers.

Gerber Nautilus
Vintage: 2000's, albeit Chako has mentioned this might have been made in 2003/2004.  Not sure when this was discontinued.
Country of origin:  Made in USA of global materials. 
Side note:  Has a nautical shape, led light, scissors, knife and Phillips screwdriver.  Apparently this design was supposed to have pliers.

Gerber Dime/Travel
Vintage: 2012, still in production. Gerber Travel has been discontinued, albeit the date is unknown.
Side note:  This is another key chain multi tool. This does have pliers however, along with a package opener.

Gerber Suspension
Vintage: 2005, still in production.
Side note:  All tools have a locking mechanism.

Gerber Suspension NXT
Vintage:2005, still in production.
Side note:  Has a pocket clip.

Gerber Method

Gerber Ripstop

Gerber Evo

Gerber Resolve

Gerber Crux
Vintage: 2007,unknown when discontinued.

Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-tool
Vintage: 2007, discontinued.

Gerber Tread
Side note:  This unit had a built in LED light in handle.

Gerber Strata
Vintage:  2010.
Country of origin: Unknown, but I am speculating China potentially.
Side note: Had replaceable inserts and there was a  Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack variation.

Gerber Octane
Vintage: 2010, unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin:  Unless I can find packaging information, I hesitate to say I definitively know.  However this likely was designed and engineered in Oregon, while being manufactured in China.

Gerber Crucial
Vintage: 2009 with the green and blue versions still in production.
Side note:  Has both a carabiner clip and pocket clip.

Gerber Crucial F.A.S.T.
Vintage: 2011, unknown when discontinued.
Side note:  Has a spring assisted knife.

Gerber Radius
Vintage: 2007,  unknown when discontinued.
Country of origin: Without packaging information,I can only hazard a guess this was probably made in China also. 

Gerber Fit
Vintage: 2011 and has been discontinued.
Side note: Has a flashlight and 1/4" inch driver along with some other components.

Gerber Balance

Gerber Bull Rush
Vintage: 2013, unknown when this was discontinued.
Side note: Has G-10 handles

Gerber MP1
Vintage: 2013-2019.  After contacting the company directly last year, the information a Gerber representative from  told me this was discontinued sometime in 2019.  Not sure the MP1, the MP1 Maintenance and the AR version as well. 
Country of origin:  Made in the United States with global materials.  I'd like to note at the time of this post the USA made with global materials Gerber multi tools, according to the packaging do have domestic components. 

Side note: There is some variance between the MP1, Maintenance Pro and military version.  MP1 has G-10 handles, whereas as the MP Pro "composite" handles.  In addition, the MP pro has a gut hook knife and cotter pin tool.  As for the Military tool, this has  dental pick carbon scraper, a carbon scraper, trigger assembly pin punch, sight adjustment tool, dis-assembly pin punch. 

Gerber Cable Dawg
Vintage:  2011, still in production.
Side note:  This is a specialized tool meant for the military tech in regards to  satellite, fiber optics, and IT cable systems.  This isn't a small tool by any means.

Gerber Ground breaker.
Country of origin:  Unknown, potentially made in China.
Side note:  This was made primarily for electrical work.

Gerber eFECT
Vintage: 2011 and at the time of this posting, still in production.
Country of origin:  Based on Gerber's own site, this is built in USA of global materials.  Perhaps this has some USA components? 
Side note: Created for the military.

Gerber Center Drive
Vintage:2016/2017, still in production.
Country of origin: Made in USA and based on the packaging, not with global materials.
Side note:  Based on what I've read this is Gerber's first entirely USA made multi tool in several years if not longer.  Additionally this is sliding jaws, dedicated outside accessible 1/4" driver and knife.  This unit has carbide replaceable inserts.

Gerber Center Drive Plus
Vintage: 2019, still in production.
Country of origin:  Similar to the Gerber Center Drive, this unit is also made in USA entirely.  Worth noting, there is a USA made leather sheath that either comes with the unit or you can buy this separately. 
Side note:  This unit has a pair of scissors and similar to the Gerber Center Drive, has a sizable locking mechanism.   

Sometime in 2020, this article from Fresh Air Junkie claims in February 2020 Gerber will release a series name Armbar and Lock down multi tools.   In 2019, I created a thread about the Gerber Armbar and Lockdown multi tools, as there i a video that accompanies this article.

On Gerber's on site here is some rudimentary product information about the Armbar Drive 30-001585 and Armbar Cork model number 30-001579.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Gerber multi tools
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:59:54 PM

Gerber Multi-Lite
Vintage: 1998 and discontinued during the 2000's.
Side note:  Ultica Kutmaster has a slightly similar design to this, Utica MiniMaster 11-3536CP.  However the Multi Lite had a light emitting diode and the lids came in different colors. There was even a version with a corkscrew as well.

Thanks for that useful info CC  :tu:

I can add a bit more detail about Gerber Multi-Lite variants:

All genuine Multi-Lites I've seen had a dim amber LED in the lid (even with a new battery)

I have seen three different coloured Lids:

Black  (most common)
Green (somewhat less common)
Purple/Pink (very rare)

Tool variations seemed to be mostly either Serrated Blade, Corkscrew, or a replaceable (wood) Saw blade

Some came with (very small) tweezers, toothpick and screwdriver stored in a compartment in the lid

There was a nice leather sheath available with the tool or as a separate accessory

Most came in a box, but they were also sold in a clamshell.

There was a special "Ride, Snowboards" version with a snowboard toolset (rare)

They did release a "First Production Run" (FPR) version (very rare)

There were also a few no-name and "Jeep" branded copies, some had very small fold-out pliers, and some had red LEDs in the lid
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:12:30 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Offline mikekoz

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 01:11:01 PM
  I thought the NXT was a new tool which was just released , maybe in 2018?? 

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 02:20:29 PM
Nice job compiling all the Gerber info. CC!, but I'll have to agree with Mike. It is also my understanding that the Suspension NXT was released in 2018, alongside with the Truss, as an improved versions of the OG Suspension; the NXT more as an urban EDC tool. Both are made in China; the Truss is clipless, a bit larger, has a saw, and separate pe and se blades.
Just my 2cents.
 :tu:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:12:09 PM
EDIT:  In case anyone is interested, I have archived the first page of this thread so this information will ideally be available long in the future.  Here is a link to the archived copy.   Including the https and //, the name of this archive is  forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83646.0.html

Thank you to Mikekoz, Juan El Boriuca and Gregorzedobe for all the information they've provided.  My thoughts were the Suspension NXT and Truss were made during the same time period as most the Suspension line of multi tools.  Most of the information on these tools I've gathered is primarily thanks to Chako's research, with some product and other information I've gathered on my own.

Also I am not sure if I can modify the post, I forgot the Gerber MP600 Trail Blazer.  Perhaps this information might not be accurate, yet this is the only multi tool I've ever seen that has a horse hoof apparatus. 

Never knew that the Multi Lite in some figuration came with Leather case, let alone a first production run or "Ride surf" surf boarding version. 

So I'd like to add more information about the Gerber 22-49445  tool kit set. 

Gerber 22-49445 tool kit/
Vintage:  Unknown and this is unknown when this was discontinued.  Speculative answer being 2003 as that is when the Gerber Recoil 500 was produced and potentially discontinued Gerber  22-41534 included this kit.At the time of the posting, I say potentially discontinued knife, as the Gerber customer service agent said this was, yet this is still on their site, albeit out of stock. 

Side note:  This adapter works with the Gerber  Flik, Freehand, Diesel, Radius, Method, Tred Crux, Suspension, Recoil and Nautilus.  Not to be confused with Gerber 45200, as the appearance is significantly different.

Opinion:  While I want to stress this is a opinion, since this Gerber 22-49445 has been discontinued, the only solution I've found to acquire is to buy a Gerber 22-41534.  Gerber 22-41534 Hinderer rescue is made in Taiwan and I've only seen this factory sealed with a price range of $71 to $95 on Gerber's site. 

Gerber 45200 tool kit for MP400, 600 and 800
Vintage: My best estimate would be 1998 or 1999 potentially.  Still in production.
Country of origin:  At one point this set had a USA made nylon sheath and was USA made.  Here is my evidence supporting this claim.  For several years, perhaps more this now been made in China.

Side note:  This adapter will work with the entire Gerber MP600 series, MP650, MP700, MP800 as well as the Gerber Multi Lite. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 11:58:21 PM by CarbideCruzer »

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 07:52:49 PM

Side note:  This adapter will work with the entire Gerber MP600 series, MP650, MP700, MP800 as well as the Gerber Multi Lite.
[/quote]

And most multi tools with 1/8" square shank phillips or bit adapter driver.  :multi: :D

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 08:04:58 PM
While I've experimented with the Gerber 45200 adapter with several other multi tools,  this is interesting that you mention that information.  Haven't taken a caliper to the actual thickness of  Gerber MP400, 600 or 800 Phillips driver or the bottom of the adapter, so I do imagine there is some flexibility with capability. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%