Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber “Grappler” and SOG Sailor’s tool...

Offline DanaAcker

Gerber “Grappler” and SOG Sailor’s tool...
on: April 19, 2022, 05:52:26 PM
Hello friends I haven’t met yet; brand new here. I am an old, gray knifesmith, and while I love forging knives, perhaps an even bigger passion is that which I cannot do with a hammer and fire, namely create precision multi-tools. I’ve actively collected and carried a multi-tool since the days of the first Leatherman. So far I’ve not met a multi-tool I didn’t like, excluding cheap foreign knockoffs, and own more than my wife is comfortable with. When I get internet time I search around for any content multi-tool related. In so doing I stumbled upon a review from this forum from 2010 about the Gerber Grappler, their venture into the locking pliers/vise grip world. Is this tool still made? I cannot find much online about it. And while I don’t need one, I am a junkie, and tool junkies need no rational explanation for their cravings. Also I am a commercial winemaker and distiller. A multi-tool is a must have in that line of work. We brought a young lady on staff who formerly was in the Merchant Marine. She carries a SOG multi-tool with all the bells and whistles, and said tool comes equipped with an integral marlin spike! Anybody know about this tool and where one might find one? I contacted SOG and was simply and abruptly told it’s discontinued, period, goodbye. Any info on these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to hanging out with other junkies.

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber “Grappler” and SOG Sailor’s tool...
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 06:15:37 PM
Hello friends I haven’t met yet; brand new here. I am an old, gray knifesmith, and while I love forging knives, perhaps an even bigger passion is that which I cannot do with a hammer and fire, namely create precision multi-tools. I’ve actively collected and carried a multi-tool since the days of the first Leatherman. So far I’ve not met a multi-tool I didn’t like, excluding cheap foreign knockoffs, and own more than my wife is comfortable with. When I get internet time I search around for any content multi-tool related. In so doing I stumbled upon a review from this forum from 2010 about the Gerber Grappler, their venture into the locking pliers/vise grip world. Is this tool still made? I cannot find much online about it. And while I don’t need one, I am a junkie, and tool junkies need no rational explanation for their cravings. Also I am a commercial winemaker and distiller. A multi-tool is a must have in that line of work. We brought a young lady on staff who formerly was in the Merchant Marine. She carries a SOG multi-tool with all the bells and whistles, and said tool comes equipped with an integral marlin spike! Anybody know about this tool and where one might find one? I contacted SOG and was simply and abruptly told it’s discontinued, period, goodbye. Any info on these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to hanging out with other junkies.

Welcome to :MTO:

Neither the Gerber Grappler nor the SOG West Marine Sailing multi tool are being made anymore. I don't know much about either multi tool, but I am sure there are some active members who can supply more information.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 02:07:22 PM
Hello and welcome aboard.   :cheers:

You could search eBay for said tools  :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 03:12:24 PM
Firstly, welcome to MTo.  This is THE place to be to discuss all things MultiTool.

I have a Gerber Grappler, and much prefer the Leatherman Crunch for a Multitool with locking pliers.  IIRC the adjusting mechanism on the Grappler is rather fiddly.   But if you really want a Grappler, they do turn up on US ebay from time to time.  They were not a commercial success, so there aren't many of them around.

The West Marine Sailing MultiTool with Marlin Spike is another rare tool.  I haven't seen one for sale for quite a while, so you may have difficulty finding one to buy.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 03:23:41 PM
Pretty much what Greg said.  Good luck to you.  Welcome to the forum also. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD