Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stocking stuffer SAK's.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Stocking stuffer SAK's.
on: February 07, 2020, 05:04:45 PM
Everybody loves Christmas, right?

Bah, humbug!

I hate trying to figure out what to get the person who has everything. It was always a pain. But sometimes ideas happen. I am only thinking of Christmas now because of cousin Scott, who's visiting us from out of state.

Scott is one of those people who was the strait A student, Dean's list, entry level genius at whatever he did. But he wasn't a pocket knife guy. In high school he'd have three pens, two pencils and a slide rule, but no pocket knife. There didn't have calculators back then so people used slide rules for complicated stuff that was beyond us mortals who took shop classes because we knew we were going to be tradesmen. Yeah, Scott was an egghead. A geek. Kind of like the guy Sheldon

Now make no mistake, we,  love Scott. He's funny, really really smart, but for the whole life that I've known him, he's been the "Hey Carl, can I borrow your knife?" guy. No matter opening boxes, cutting a string, opening a plastic wrapper of something, mail, whatever. Jus like cousin Bob, cousin Barbara, brother-in-law Roy, and other family members.

Sooo, one Christmas many many years ago, I decided to change that. The great experiment. I bought out Walmart's entire supply of Victorinox classic's. Over a dozen of them, and used them as 'stocking stuffer's' for the non knife packing family members. I chose the classic for a few reasons. It was soooooo small that it could go on a keyring so there would not be an excuse of it being left behind because it was forgotten, or it fell out of the pocket, or it was too big or heavy to carry. And I figured that the scissors and SD tip pf the nail file would make it more versatility and there for desirable to carry.

It worked. This morning cousin Scott went on our walk with us and afterward to the little coffee shop that has great shade grown Costa Rican coffee and cinnamon buns made on sight to kill for. Sitting down in the sun outside I saw Scott reach into his pocket and comes out with his keyring with his little classic on it, and proceeds to neatly slice off the plastic wrapping on the cinnamon bun. The earth trembled on its axis, and we were amazed. Boy genius Scott has a knife, and he had it sharp.

I made some comment about how he still had it after almost 20 years, but he corrected me. It wasn't the same one that he got that Christmas morning so long ago. He confessed that it got taken by the TSA  so he went and bought another one because he missed it. He'd got used to having the little knife and scissors and after a little while missed them enough to go buy his own little SAK. He also confessed that the SD tip on the nail file is used often.

I guess I'll take whatever small victories life gives me. Even geeky bother-in-law Roy is still carrying his little classic on his keyring, and a Fenix E01 as well.

I guess a little keychain size SAK is better than no SAK at all.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Stocking stuffer SAK's.
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:31:01 PM
And that's how it's done!

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:21:20 PM
Slide rule...oh yeah!

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 06:32:49 PM
It's really a victory! Congrats!

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

fi Online Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:22:11 PM
Awesome, its good to see someone was happy to ise little SAK. It doesnt allways need to be big model to make people happy.

And slide rules is cool to use

Only Tools Matters

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 08:44:01 PM
Like the ruler side on the slide!  :cheers: :tu:

nz Offline Storm

Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 09:03:16 PM
Well done that man , you are indeed doing the good work spreading the gospel of the red shield  :hatsoff:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 10:55:21 PM

Guess I'll add to the Classic and sliderule theme. Although I prefer the nail file to have the nail cleaner tip over the SD version.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 11:13:53 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Guess I'll add to the Classic and sliderule theme. Although I prefer the nail file to have the nail cleaner tip over the SD version.
Nice Classic.  :like: :cheers:
Your Nighthawk slide rule is a lot nicer than my Casio watch slide rule.  :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 11:26:50 PM
Nice Classic.  :like: :cheers:
Your Nighthawk slide rule is a lot nicer than my Casio watch slide rule.  :tu:

Yeah, I especially like the cut file on the Classic, it works much better in general and can do more stuff. Do you have any pictures of the Casio, a lot of the ones that show up from a quick google search look quite fine to me

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 11:39:34 PM
Here is the Casio and with my Russian KL1 made by a Russian watch company in 68??
Sorry so dark
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:51:00 PM by Rapidray »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 05:58:49 AM
Well done that man , you are indeed doing the good work spreading the gospel of the red shield  :hatsoff:

I've often thought of the classic as the Giddeon's Bible of pocket knives. I actually can't guess how many of them I've given away to people I see in need of a pocket knife.

There used to be a lady that showed up at the Westminster Maryland gun show that had big boxes of SAK's. They were TSA confiscations. They were all in very good to likened condition, and carried more than used. A lot of them had the original factory edge still on the blade. A classic was like 5 dollars for one, 4 dollars for 2, and if you bought 3 or more it was like 3 dollars each. I always bought some fro her. Then I'd keep on extra in my watch pocket and when someone needed a knife, I'd gift them a classic, in return for a coin.

I've given away a heck of a lot lf classics in my time. Kind of like the Lone Ranger and a silver bullet. Only a small SAK is a lot more useful. :D
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

nz Offline Storm

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 06:49:12 AM
Of course it is, you're saving them from a knifeless existance. Truly a saving if the day act, even if they are yet to encounter the particular day or days in question
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD