Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photon MicroLight

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Photon MicroLight
on: January 08, 2020, 04:47:03 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a few Photon Microlights for zipper pulls. I am currently using one of my "free" Olight i3EOS on my new Carhartt jacket, but they have the tendency to unscrew just sitting in a pocket, so I'm sure I'll be missing the LED and battery soon enough.  These are lighter, smaller, but not really cheaper. They are made in the States, however.

How long do the coin cells last in these? Water resistance?  Looking at Photon's website, they seem to spec out quite well, and have a bunch of accessories, but I'm expecting actual use, not lab tests.

https://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-micro-light-ii-led-keychain-flashlight/

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Photon MicroLight
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:43:15 PM
Hey, Cody.

I think it really depends on how you use them.  I do notice the brightness do 'drop' from a fresh battery quickly, as this light is not regulated like other AAA flashlights.  And here is a CPF runtime chart to confirm that:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?122326-Photon-Freedom-Microlight-Runtime

I own a few of them, haven't really use them much in rain or wet situation, personally I would guess it may withstand mild rain, but I doubt it is waterproof.  If they are used only for zipper pull and occasional use, I bet they will serve you quite well.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 04:19:04 PM
I have the Photon X.  Its rode on my vehicle keys now for a good long while.  I took it off for a brief moment but its back.  I had some early issued with it coming apart so I initially added rubber band to keep it closed.  The rubber band disintegrated ( it was there a few years ) and I've not had that issue since.  Not sure why the light came apart or why its now not an issue  :dunno:.  I don't put the keys in my pocket, they hang from a biner on my pants. 

I love the light.  Its been used more than I ever thought it would.  I think I bought it in 2013 and other than the issue that seemed to resolve itself  :dunno: its been flawless. 

I've changed the batteries a few times and should mention I've actually had the light accidently activated so who knows for how long.  I guess being on my keys it could have been pressed in any number of ways. 

I know there are other lights that fall into this category but I do like my Photon X.

My light has strobe and can go from a high to very low mode.     
IMG_0145.jpg
* IMG_0145.jpg (Filesize: 183.14 KB)
IMG_0146.jpg
* IMG_0146.jpg (Filesize: 156.1 KB)
IMG_0147.jpg
* IMG_0147.jpg (Filesize: 206.7 KB)
IMG_0148.jpg
* IMG_0148.jpg (Filesize: 176.14 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 02:38:21 AM
It might be worth looking at some fauxtons if you are after cheap zipper pull lights.  Budget for some replacement batteries as they often come with batteries that are low on charge.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:46 AM
If you like your Olight, you might consider the new i1R 2 EOS.  About half the size of the i3E, rechargeable and the head doesn't detach, so nothing to lose.
- Steve

us Offline cody6268

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 12:19:25 AM
If you like your Olight, you might consider the new i1R 2 EOS.  About half the size of the i3E, rechargeable and the head doesn't detach, so nothing to lose.

I've been looking at that one for a while. I may swap the i3EOS out with it because I've had the i1R (original) on my keys for over a year now, and it hasn't fell apart.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%