Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The little SAK that can.

cbl51 · 51 · 1814

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
The little SAK that can.
on: January 10, 2020, 06:00:06 PM
Sooo, we just got back from California where we spent the New Years holiday and my birthday at the daughters place. She lives in Mission Viejo, California and I always enjoy the time spent with my granddaughter, Brianna aged 10 now. In the almost two weeks spent in California and two days each ay on the road, my only pocket knife was the little Victorinox executive.

Okay, let me correct that, it was the only pocket knife I carried. In my bag was my old war horse, the Wenger SI that never got used once. In California, we went hiking up in the Cleveland National wilderness area, fishing up at Lake Arrowhead, beach going, and bar hopping, and shooting over in the desert country. The Executive cut bait, trimmed fishing line, did a sight adjustment on a Smith and Wesson revolver so my granddaughter could use it, opened plastic packages, trimmed the end off some cigars that my son-in-law and enjoyed out on the patio after dinner, sharpened a pencil,  trimmed some fat off the beef cubes that were going on the grill for kabobs, and even used the orange peeler for peeling a California orange or two. The orange peeler also works well as a monofilament line cutter.

Here's the thing; I'm an old fart. I've carried knives for most my life. I've carried Buck stockman, Boker pen knife, Buck 309 companion pen pattern, Case peanuts, Opinels, Douk-Douk's, Randall fixed blades. I've carried all kinds of SAK's. Huntsman, tinker, spartan, hiker, bantam, cadet, waiter, fisherman, pioneer/soldier, classic (a personal favorite until July 2018) and others.

BUT...I've never had any pocket knife that took over my pocket like the executive. I loved my Case peanut, but age and arthritis made a small stiff spring half stop pocket knife a pain to handle, not to mention a bit dangerous. The other SAK's all were close, but had to be 'augmented' with another SAK or dedicated knife. But since July of 2018, when I was gifted the executive, it has taken over as my EDC pocket knife to exclude all others. It's a little on the small size, but it works for its intended job just like the Case peanut and Boker 240 pen, but with more capability due to the few tools like the screw driver tip of the orange peeler and the small Philips screw capacity of the nail file tip when a small flat is filed on it. Not to mention the scissors and tweezers.

The two knife blades do all that my old Case peanut did, but with the easy Victorinox springs and smooth pulls, its far easier to deal with, not to mention that the danger of a fumble finger old fart cutting himself is great reduced. The executive gives me a blade that is just long enough to cut a sandwich in half, or a slice of pie. The small blade is the box opener, mail opener, twine cutter, blister package opener, and whatever needing a small sharp blade.

For over 20 years I carried a classic on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath I made for it. That tiny SAK, was a perfect example of how less, can indeed be more. It did 98%  of what I had to do with a pocket knife, and the other pocket knives I carried were more for my knife nut obsession. They had little to do with the real world.

For all my years growing up, I watched my dad get by very well with his little 2 inch bladed Case peanut. If he needed a screw driver or can opener, he had an old P-38 and a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on his keyring. The man was a walking lesson in maximum minimalism. I guess I grew up with a lot of that rubbed off on me, and many things in my life reflect that. Now as an old fart, I finally see the wisdom of his words when he said, "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." My little executive has become my 'peanut', the little pocket knife that is the always present EDC, and seems to do all I need. On the few times I needed a better screw driver or can opener, the P-38 and Victorinox quatro in my wallet did just fine.

Its a strange twist of fate that at this stage of my life, the Victorinox executive has become what my Case peanut once was. It's small and light enough that I can drop it in my pocket and forget about it until I need it. But it has more capacity than my old peanut had.

It's easy to now understand how Chuck Yeager spent two weeks at a time in the Sierra Nevada's with a Executive as his backpacking/fishing knife.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: The little SAK that can.
Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 06:03:03 PM
 :tu: :tu: Right on sir!
Barry

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 06:42:50 PM
Is this the beginning of a Yeager challenge  :whistle:
Nice SAK  :cheers:

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 06:45:05 PM
I LOVE your stories. You should write a book…

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:46:09 PM
cbl51 -

You're not the only old fart here (75 and counting). I've had similar experiences, had/carried about every type/size knife around. Settled in on a Vic Tinker about 25 years ago and never looked back. It is my EDC always, even though I sometimes carry s 3-3.5 inch blade flipper also. It is the Tinker that is my always go to knife. Once you find "your" knife, you will always stick with it.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 07:48:33 PM
I LOVE your stories. You should write a book…

:iagree: :cheers:

us Offline boatman422

Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:26 PM
Thank you for sharing this. It makes me wonder if I should consider replacing a keychain Classic for an Executive (have both).

Though to your point, this may be redundant if one always carries a full size (84/91/93mm) SAK as well...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 09:13:41 PM

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 10:08:40 PM
If only the Executive had the combo tool from the Minichamp...
R

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 11:24:31 PM
Thank you for sharing this. It makes me wonder if I should consider replacing a keychain Classic for an Executive (have both).

Though to your point, this may be redundant if one always carries a full size (84/91/93mm) SAK as well...

To me thats the point of the executive; I don't want to, or need a full size SAK. For my life in mostly suburban America, I don't see the use for much knife or SAK. With no Indians on the war path coming over the hill, or the need to fight off Chinese paratroopers while yelling "Wolverines!" or playing Jeremiah Johnson, I certainly don't need a Bowie knife. My backpacking days are long over,  and as a senior citizen I know my wife and I are not going to see real wilderness again. Last time we were at Yellowstone, we watched Old Faithful from the second flor deck of the Yellowstone lodge with cocktails in hand. And even with backpacking, not much knife or tool is needed. Colin Fletcher, the old established backpacking guru actually went backpacking with a classic. When asked, he said since he had all his shelter and clothing on his back, he didn't need much knife. And then, I watched my dad with a Case peanut do everything, including fishing, camping, traveling by car, hiking, what ever.

I think re-reading Chuck Yeager's book, "Press On" was an inspiration. Reading his blog and other interviews with him was a re-visit to the guys of my dad's generation. They all carried what they called a "Pen knife" which was any small 3 inch closed size pocket knife. They weren't obsessed knife nuts or collectors, just guys who lived through a great depression and a World War and then went about the business of raising a family in post war America.

I think sometimes a hobby can cross ov er to obsession to the point where it clouds judgment. I find the small 74mm SAK to be a great EDC pocket knife. Over all the years I've had the classic before this, I've come to love the scissors. The executive scissors are even better. And its because of the scissors I got a bit sentimental over the executive. I never could have saved the life of that Texas spiny lizard that was tangled up in the plastic mesh last summer without the scissors.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:46:02 PM by cbl51 »

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 11:49:24 PM
I am tying to follow your lead. Haha

I have been carrying this lately... Cadet in my main front right pocket and Ambassador in my watch pocket, for the scissors.

I have an Executive ordered, to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 12:09:13 AM

I have been carrying this lately... Cadet in my main front right pocket and Ambassador in my watch pocket, for the scissors.

(Image removed from quote.)

Excellent duo of SAK's!! :tu:

The cadet has always been a favored one of mine for the flat compactness of it. And it's surprising to me how much small Phillips screw duty they will do with a tiny bit of filing of a flat on the tip of the nail file. In the past year and a half with the executive, I've dealt with a lot of small Phillips screws just fine. If they ever added a scissors to the cadet, it very well could get me to defect from the executive.  :think:

Or maybe not. I do like the choice of two knife blades in different sizes.

us Offline Doc

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:11 AM
You guys inspire me.  That’s why I’m here, and you don’t disappoint.
That’s gonna leave a mark.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 12:50:19 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

A nice duo to be carrying!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 01:39:04 AM
It might be a good year for another Yeager Challenge.  Like Carl says, it's amazing how little blade you actually need.  I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail with a Minichamp and only fell short when a saw was needed.  I'm really getting into the ultralight end of things as my back, after almost 20 years supporting a 20+ pound duty belt (and an Army rucksack prior to that) is becoming pretty vocal about weight.  I use the smaller Classic blade on my Executive more than any other tool on it.  I like my bigger knives and mt's, but it sure fun fixing things with the small SAKs!
Barry

00 Offline Mad Scientist

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 01:43:10 AM
What a great read! I like your style, sir.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 01:49:33 AM
Sooo, we just got back from California where we spent the New Years holiday and my birthday at the daughters place. She lives in Mission Viejo, California and I always enjoy the time spent with my granddaughter, Brianna aged 10 now. In the almost two weeks spent in California and two days each ay on the road, my only pocket knife was the little Victorinox executive.

Okay, let me correct that, it was the only pocket knife I carried. In my bag was my old war horse, the Wenger SI that never got used once. In California, we went hiking up in the Cleveland National wilderness area, fishing up at Lake Arrowhead, beach going, and bar hopping, and shooting over in the desert country. The Executive cut bait, trimmed fishing line, did a sight adjustment on a Smith and Wesson revolver so my granddaughter could use it, opened plastic packages, trimmed the end off some cigars that my son-in-law and enjoyed out on the patio after dinner, sharpened a pencil,  trimmed some fat off the beef cubes that were going on the grill for kabobs, and even used the orange peeler for peeling a California orange or two. The orange peeler also works well as a monofilament line cutter.

Here's the thing; I'm an old fart. I've carried knives for most my life. I've carried Buck stockman, Boker pen knife, Buck 309 companion pen pattern, Case peanuts, Opinels, Douk-Douk's, Randall fixed blades. I've carried all kinds of SAK's. Huntsman, tinker, spartan, hiker, bantam, cadet, waiter, fisherman, pioneer/soldier, classic (a personal favorite until July 2018) and others.

BUT...I've never had any pocket knife that took over my pocket like the executive. I loved my Case peanut, but age and arthritis made a small stiff spring half stop pocket knife a pain to handle, not to mention a bit dangerous. The other SAK's all were close, but had to be 'augmented' with another SAK or dedicated knife. But since July of 2018, when I was gifted the executive, it has taken over as my EDC pocket knife to exclude all others. It's a little on the small size, but it works for its intended job just like the Case peanut and Boker 240 pen, but with more capability due to the few tools like the screw driver tip of the orange peeler and the small Philips screw capacity of the nail file tip when a small flat is filed on it. Not to mention the scissors and tweezers.

The two knife blades do all that my old Case peanut did, but with the easy Victorinox springs and smooth pulls, its far easier to deal with, not to mention that the danger of a fumble finger old fart cutting himself is great reduced. The executive gives me a blade that is just long enough to cut a sandwich in half, or a slice of pie. The small blade is the box opener, mail opener, twine cutter, blister package opener, and whatever needing a small sharp blade.

For over 20 years I carried a classic on my keyring in a leather pouch sheath I made for it. That tiny SAK, was a perfect example of how less, can indeed be more. It did 98%  of what I had to do with a pocket knife, and the other pocket knives I carried were more for my knife nut obsession. They had little to do with the real world.

For all my years growing up, I watched my dad get by very well with his little 2 inch bladed Case peanut. If he needed a screw driver or can opener, he had an old P-38 and a Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on his keyring. The man was a walking lesson in maximum minimalism. I guess I grew up with a lot of that rubbed off on me, and many things in my life reflect that. Now as an old fart, I finally see the wisdom of his words when he said, "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp." My little executive has become my 'peanut', the little pocket knife that is the always present EDC, and seems to do all I need. On the few times I needed a better screw driver or can opener, the P-38 and Victorinox quatro in my wallet did just fine.

Its a strange twist of fate that at this stage of my life, the Victorinox executive has become what my Case peanut once was. It's small and light enough that I can drop it in my pocket and forget about it until I need it. But it has more capacity than my old peanut had.

It's easy to now understand how Chuck Yeager spent two weeks at a time in the Sierra Nevada's with a Executive as his backpacking/fishing knife.

Nice narrative.   :like:

I like the Executive... particularly the small size but also having 2 blades, and the scissors.  I like the form factor of a 2-blade pen knife reminiscent of the ones by Case or Buck, but even more thin (like the stainless steel ones that they made decades ago in Europe).      What I don't like... as usual... is the file.   :dwts:   

there's something to be said about experience... it really seems, the more experience you have, the fewer tools, implements, and equipment you carry.

I think when I'm experienced, I'll carry a Bantam.  But for now, I tell myself I need scissors.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 01:58:18 AM
It might be a good year for another Yeager Challenge.  Like Carl says, it's amazing how little blade you actually need.  I hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail with a Minichamp and only fell short when a saw was needed.  I'm really getting into the ultralight end of things as my back, after almost 20 years supporting a 20+ pound duty belt (and an Army rucksack prior to that) is becoming pretty vocal about weight.  I use the smaller Classic blade on my Executive more than any other tool on it.  I like my bigger knives and mt's, but it sure fun fixing things with the small SAKs!

Thats the same boat I found myself in many years ago. After about age 30, my army injuries made me goto ultra light back packing. Just couldn't deal with a pack more than 25 pounds if I left the opiates at home. :o

My only knife/tool was my bantam or cadet. It was enough for a back packing trip. Enough blade to open packages of dry food, bagels, wax coated Gouda cheese and a baguette. If you have 2 inches of blade and a scissors your pretty well equipped. My old man was pretty right  when he said 'it doesn't have to be big, just sharp.'

My most used  blade on my executive is the classic size pen blade.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 02:02:05 AM

:popcorn: I don't think an Executive is in the cards for me this year but I'd like to watch. 

I'd left the Executive off the list on the poll here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83526.0.html thinking that it would make the list of options too long.  While I read a lot about people that hike the AT with a Vic Classic or a Gerber Dime, that hasn't played out on the poll.  A lot of folks carry larger plier-based MTs these days. 

We're doing a minimal SAK challenge this year, but it really is an interesting "challenge" to get things done with a small SAK while avoiding the unnecessary "opened my granola bar with my fixed blade" posts... not that those aren't fun... maybe just a bit of a stretch. 

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 02:03:48 AM
Nice narrative.   :like:

I like the Executive... particularly the small size but also having 2 blades, and the scissors.  I like the form factor of a 2-blade pen knife reminiscent of the ones by Case or Buck, but even more thin (like the stainless steel ones that they made decades ago in Europe).      What I don't like... as usual... is the file.   :dwts:   

there's something to be said about experience... it really seems, the more experience you have, the fewer tools, implements, and equipment you carry.

I think when I'm experienced, I'll carry a Bantam.  But for now, I tell myself I need scissors.

No, no. Look at me, this is serious. You need scissors. Scissors are sooooo handy. You can't save a Texas spiny lizard without them!

us Online FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 02:06:04 AM
other pocket knives I carried were more for my knife nut obsession. They had little to do with the real world.
I totally understand that.  :tu:
Nice story cb!
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 02:09:00 AM
No, no. Look at me, this is serious. You need scissors. Scissors are sooooo handy. You can't save a Texas spiny lizard without them!

:rofl:  :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I sometimes find myself thinking I need to carry a Swisschamp just in case I need to save a sea turtle. 
promo-sea-turtle-straw copy.jpg
* promo-sea-turtle-straw copy.jpg (Filesize: 34.38 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 03:00:54 AM
I agree!   :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 03:04:18 AM
:rofl:  :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

I sometimes find myself thinking I need to carry a Swisschamp just in case I need to save a sea turtle.
:facepalm:
What happened?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 04:22:28 AM
I agree with much said above. Scissors are very important to have.

I’m thinking of having someone add a pair of scissors to the Cadet!!

Cadet X

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 04:36:35 AM
I agree with much said above. Scissors are very important to have.

I’m thinking of having someone add a pair of scissors to the Cadet!!

Cadet X

HEY! OVER HERE,

if you find someone to do that, let me know. I'll take two of them!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 04:57:47 AM
I was going to pack a Spartan for the Minimalist Challenge, but I think I'm going to do it with the Executive instead! :tu:
Barry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 09:44:54 AM
I've been packing 74mm SAKS as my EDC for pretty much the last year.

The Executive is pretty much my favourite, despite it carrying a surplus of tools. In my old job at Hamleys,it wouldn't have copped, on a daily basis I needed a variety of screwdrivers, and had used pretty much every tools a Swisschamp has to offer(yes,even the fish scale,as an impromptu fork).

My new job is office based. It's a paper free environment, and there is no need for a tool wielding handy guy. The Executive drops into the pocket,is unobtrusive, has a long pointy thing,scissors, a file and more than enough blade for lunch time. The surprising thing is,even on the weekends,where I will carry a bigger SAK or my Spirit, I get fidgety if I don't have an Executive!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 02:06:58 PM
The Executive looks darn handy and has a nice form factor  :think:

Thank you cbl51 for a very nice read  :hatsoff:
... and yet another enabling  :facepalm:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 02:08:29 PM