Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who's buying the 'big' ones?

cbl51 · 86 · 3319

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Who's buying the 'big' ones?
on: January 12, 2020, 06:43:54 PM
Okay, I've been a SAK fan and user for 50 years now, and as a lover of the little Swiss wonder, I've come to some conclusions from a lot of years of observation. And a question or two.

Ya know when you'reb an enthusiast of something, that you take special notice of any others doing as you do? like all the years I rode BMW motorcycles, I noticed and waved to other BMW riders. When I was driving my 1966 VW bug long after they stopped bringing them not the U.S., we bug drivers honked at each other. We even had bug club. When somebody in public takes out a SAK to do something, I notice.

In all the years I've been a loyal Sakkist, I've seen maybe two people with a champ, or other of the 'big' SAK's. Overwhelmingly, the SAK's I see in public, like the young lady at Walmart changing a watch band, the older couple at Home Depot getting a few bags of mulch for the garden and the pallet wasn't unwrapped from the shrink wrap and the man used was looked like a classic on his keychain to cut away the plastic sheeting from the load of mulch. Or the young lady at a restaurant who used a beat up recruit to cut a roll in half. Or the guy on the rifle range using an old tinker to adjust the scope he was sighting in. And the ton or two of classics that seem to be on a lot of key rings out there that were either gifts or giveaways with some sort of advertising logo on them. And beat up old classics seem to be the SAK I see in used old pocket knives in "Antique" stores.

I've seen a ton of SAK's being used, but with just two exceptions, they have all been the one and two layer SAK's. Recruits, tinkers, spartans, a few old alox pioneers, So, my question is, I find myself wondering who is buying the champs and other models with enough tools to rebuild the Titanic? I mean, aside from the enthusiast, like us on this forum who are the Cult Of The SAK, is the average Joe going into a sporting goods store or big box store going to buy a large and expensive SAK?

Is the average SAK buyer some person who just realizes a pocket knife is a handy thing to have but doesn't want to spend a lot of money or have something too big.? A letter opener, package opener, a bottle opener handy at hand.

Back in Maryland before we moved to Texas, I knew a young lady who was manager of a Chesapeake Knife and Tool store. they sold all kinds of knives, SAK's to Al Mar to customs. We got on the subject of sales and what sold the most. I can remember to this day Joanne telling me that SAK's were number one because of the recognition of the red handles with the silver cross. It was a shop in a Mall, and people would come in a browse, and everyday there were multiple instances of someone saying "Oh look, Swiss Army Knives" and looking over the whole rotating display. When a SAK was sold, it was almost always a one or two layer SAK. Granted that this was the Bethesda and Potomac area of Maryland and was a bit on the upper end of things, where people drive Mercedes and Cadillacs. So money wasn't an issue, and the wealthy hunted and fished and went on vacations.

I can only wonder if the SAK world is somewhat like the gun world, where a lot of guns go to sales to the mega collectors of the realm. The guys with gun rooms of 40 and 50 guns that they never use, just sit there for the pride of ownership. So a lot of the big many layer SAK's go to the obsessed fans, the SAK collectors?

Who really carries and uses them? The SAK's of many layers?
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Who's buying the 'big' ones?
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 07:04:22 PM
I wave to all motor cyclists, but the guys on BMW GS's get a fist pump, too.   :D

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 07:05:13 PM
I have a Swiss Champ and only one reason stops me from carrying it. I need real pliers. The weight and size is no issue, my daily carry consists of a Surge, Rev and Sidekick. A lightweight in comparison.

But with my constant need for a fullsized pair of pliers, they wouldnt cut it. Still love using it any chance I get, though.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:10 PM
I would think that „Regular Joe“ buys a SAK for convenience, something to open packages and letters, cut plastic wrap or open the occasional beer bottle. They don‘t need more than a Spartan, and they also don‘t want anything bulky in their pocket.
They will never try to figure out how to carry a Champ just for the joy of carrying it, and that is ok.

It is great to see everyday people recognizing and using SAKs, and are happy to see and use one  :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 07:41:34 PM
 :iagree:. I was a 66 Beetle pilot, as well as a 71 Westy navigator for years and we always waved at other air cooled comrades!  I now drive a 2012 Beetle and have never received a wave back.  Times change... :facepalm:
With the exception of a kid at Scout Camp with a Swisschamp, the only SAKs I encounter are Spartans and Classics.
Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 07:56:25 PM
:iagree:. I was a 66 Beetle pilot, as well as a 71 Westy navigator for years and we always waved at other air cooled comrades!  I now drive a 2012 Beetle and have never received a wave back.  Times change... :facepalm:
With the exception of a kid at Scout Camp with a Swisschamp, the only SAKs I encounter are Spartans and Classics.

I drove the bug from March of 1966, to December of 1990. It was in very good condition, engine overhauls at 210,000 miles, no rust, no accidents. In 1990, I sold it to a collector for enough to buy a new 1990 Toyota pickup. That Toyota carried me a very long way with zero problems.

But I still sometimes really miss that old bug. They had character that the new flawless stuff can't match. But then, I still shoot and fanatically stay with revolvers. Yes, sadly times do indeed change, not for the better.

Edit to add, yeah, the spartans and classic seem to be the most prolific SAK's. We already know that Victoriox is the biggest, most productive knife company on earth, and the make more classics every year than Buck makes 110 folding hunters in a decade. I can Only wonder how many classics, and spartans and tinkers they make and ship every year. It must be mind boggling. I know that I've been to Germany, France, Italy, Vietnam, Libya, and the U.K., and Victorinox is the only knife I saw in ALL the places Ive ever  been.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:03:38 PM by cbl51 »

de Online ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 08:14:12 PM
So in 1990 you got debugged?

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 08:23:35 PM
So in 1990 you got debugged?

Yeah, and I've regretted it many times since!!!!!

They were very special little cars.

de Online ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 08:34:42 PM
That was some years before I got my driving licence. Never got bugged.

A small number of bugs is still running, even today. Sometimes I see one here.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 08:56:27 PM
I am not a collector of the big ones. I am not a fan of the SwissChamp as it feels wrong in my hands for its size. Now the 111mm’s I have no problems. Because of all the challenges I do, it just doesn’t get carried to offen. Now when I go back to work for 3 months, it will get back on the belt. The SC’s are going to be modified to thinner models. My SOS will be kept and put away for my grandson.

de Online ulzhan

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 09:30:25 PM
My regular Go-To SAK is a Swisschamp XLT. Don't regret it.

A co-worker of me uses a CT 33 for EDC.

There are more multilayered SAKs out there than you think.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:09 PM
My regular Go-To SAK is a Swisschamp XLT. Don't regret it.

A co-worker of me uses a CT 33 for EDC.

There are more multilayered SAKs out there than you think.
The XLT is great!  :hatsoff:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:31 PM
In terms of "big" 111mms are largely outdoor and work knives for me, though occasionally, I just toss them into a pocket for EDC. To me, the SwissChamp is a bit bulky, along with the CyberTool, both of which largely aren't carried, but kept handy for around-the-house type stuff, and supplementing what I have in actual tools. It's part of the reason I plan to do the STACK challenge this year, so that they can get some EDC use.

I find it a bit spooky how the Pioneer is becoming a favorite. I've had a Pioneer since I was a preteen (Great-Granddad's 1970s OC), but only when Vic sent me a new one as they chose not to repair a beat-up OC (1980s, busted awl, bent blade) I had, did I decide to carry it a lot more. Oh, and all three see use. The damaged OC is my work beater, the heirloom formal, and the silver one, EDC.  But seriously, I don't EDC anything thicker or fatter than an Outdoorsman. It would be perfect if Vic gave us something like it, but traded the fish scaler for a file.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 01:09:51 AM
Only big one I've seen carried was a Hercules, by a prepper i know.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 01:25:52 AM
I am a big fan of the 130's,  especially the saw.
R

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 02:17:09 AM
I would submit that people gift the Swisschamps, but they buy the 2-3 layer SAKs to use.

My Champion and Champ are both gifts, and two friends that I can think of off the cuff both got them as gifts too.  It seems to be a show of generosity to get the more elaborate ones. 

Meanwhile, most people that EDC a SAK, I would guess, chose a smaller perhaps more economical one to use day to day.

These two groups aren't necessarily exclusive - perhaps similar the trend with firearms that was alluded to - where an individual either has none, or they have several. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 02:29:28 AM
I would submit that people gift the Swisschamps, but they buy the 2-3 layer SAKs to use.

My Champion and Champ are both gifts, and two friends that I can think of off the cuff both got them as gifts too.  It seems to be a show of generosity to get the more elaborate ones. 

Meanwhile, most people that EDC a SAK, I would guess, chose a smaller perhaps more economical one to use day to day.

These two groups aren't necessarily exclusive - perhaps similar the trend with firearms that was alluded to - where an individual either has none, or they have several. 

I have similar experience :cheers: , I received a Swisschamp as a generous gift many years ago, and that started me down the road.  I would think most folks gift those "big ones" like Swisschamp, workchamp and the thinner onee, like Spartan or Tinker away, while real users will buy 3-5 layers according to their needs.

us Offline boatman422

Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 03:12:33 AM
It's interesting, as I'm sure a lot of 'Joe Regulars' would not think of buying a used SAK on eBay (and saving a lot of money in the process).

I'd imagine a lot is read into the various Amazon reviews regarding functionality, application, etc. before a decision is reached. Gotta wonder how many people are buying for the price point and not the dimensions / weight.

us Offline getahl

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 03:45:46 AM
 I've had larger, but prefer two layered SAKs. Even the Camper, which is very slightly thicker than a Tinker is a bit much. But, my primary carry these days is on my keychain, so my input may be moot.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:55 AM
I suspect the number of SAKs produced and sold drops off significantly when moving from 1-2 layers up to 3-4 layers, and really precipitously beyond 4 layers.  I believe the reasons for this are:
  • Few people really use or would use all the tools on a 5+ layer knife regularly.
  • Few people want to carry a tool that large & heavy.
  • A lot of folks recognize the value of a decent quality pocket knife for $20 - $35, but balk at paying $60+.

Personally, my Swisschamp makes a handy glovebox tool, but I don't think I would want anything over about 4 layers to actually carry around daily.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:41 AM
 :iagree:. For most of the people I've been around when packing my Swisschamp, their reaction is surprised at its size.  I don't think it's all that large, but I'm a SAK fan.  My wife thinks it's way too big, in spite of the tools you gain.  Then again, she's carried the same red Classic SD on her keychain since 1978, along with a Husky multi screwdriver.
Barry

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 05:48:07 AM

You hit the nail on the head there EB - At least for a friend of mine.

He was planning a 3-4 day backpacking trip. His lovely Mum, clearly coming from a generosity and being prepared standpoint, bought him a SwissChamp for the trip.

My friend however said, "There's no way I am carrying that monster for three days" - So I offered him a Huntsman on loan - Which served him perfectly
When he came back he said he'd keep the Huntsman (and now caries it every day) and gave me the SC.
Not a bad swap I thought - Second hand (even to me - eBay!) Huntsman for brand new SC !!

For me I must have scissors for an EDC - For decades I carried a Huntsman - But these days I have trimmed down - But I still get my scissors and still manage to keep it to two layers - No - Not a Classic (or Executive) - Too small for me - The Compact !!!  Love it!!!   :tu:

Although I do love my SC and use one around the house a bit and carry it at weekends sometimes :salute:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 07:23:56 AM

For me I must have scissors for an EDC - For decades I carried a Huntsman - But these days I have trimmed down - But I still get my scissors and still manage to keep it to two layers - No - Not a Classic (or Executive) - Too small for me - The Compact !!!  Love it!!!   :tu:

So that means you now will change your username from Huntsman to Compactor?  :whistle:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 07:52:14 AM
Yes I think I should  :pok:

This false identity I have been living under for some time, has been concerning me greatly

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 08:35:40 AM

This false identity I have been living under for some time, has been concerning me greatly
It's not a false identity as long as you have that terrifying spider as your profile picture. :D :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 08:54:52 AM

So that means you now will change your username from Huntsman to Compactor?  :whistle:
:rofl:

Wait, are we witnessing a McCompact coming into being? :D :pok:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 11:07:27 AM
I wave to all motor cyclists, but the guys on BMW GS's get a fist pump, too.   :D

+10000000000000000000  :D :D :D

00 Online Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2020, 12:28:48 PM
So, what kind of diagnosis would apply if you think a SwissChamp has too  few implements and you mod one to add some?  :angel:

(Look up CyberChamp in case you don't know what I'm talking about.  :D)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: January 13, 2020, 04:09:35 PM
When I rode full time as my only transportation ( Honda CBR ) I waved to everyone however cruisers rarely if ever waved back :(.  It didn't keep me from waving tho  :salute:

Nice post nate j  :iagree:.  I see a lot of pocket clips around my parts.  I wonder if age demographic ( laws aside ) play a part as well?  I realize laws are a big part of knife carry so I was trying to think otherwise.  As to the "big ones"?  Seems we hit this topic every so often so to my way of thinking age is relevant. 

As we age we see need as being different.  Our younger selves buy more on the want basis ( generalizing ).  Stuffed pockets with every doodad to take on scenarios imagined or actual.   Mors said "The more you know the less you carry".  While in theory I can relate, scenarios dictate more of my philosophy. 

Those who carry only a SAK and particularly the 58s, 74s or Wengers of similar size alway intrigue me.  Mind you, this means no other tools at your disposal :pok:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 04:52:07 PM
:iagree:. For most of the people I've been around when packing my Swisschamp, their reaction is surprised at its size.  I don't think it's all that large, but I'm a SAK fan.  My wife thinks it's way too big, in spite of the tools you gain.  Then again, she's carried the same red Classic SD on her keychain since 1978, along with a Husky multi screwdriver.

The women do so love the classic. I had totally ignored the classic as a kind of keychain joke, until my better half turned me on to what can really be done with a classic.  Only after watching her abuse and torture a classic for a few months, did I go get one and do my own 'experiment'. What you folks call a challenge.

I have a theory that the women folk, unhampered by male ego and attitude, just use what works for them. I know I've learned a great deal by watching my... literally... better half.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD
18%