Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Collectors - help me date this Elinox Picnicker / campingmesser!

us Offline boatman422

Hello fellow SAK-nuts!

I recently picked up this fine example of an Elinox Campingmesser (“Picknicker”). Serrations are intact, and it does not appear to have been abused. The knife has a very unusual toolset that I have grown quite fond of.

The pruning blade and serrated main blade work great together. When paired with a Classic for scissors, I feel well-equipped indeed.

I created this topic as I’m having a tough time dating this particular knife. Initially, I though 1968 – 1973 based on a few things:

•   Year of transition for shackle to keyring
•   Polished Elionox tools (they are clearly the squared off Elinox tools, but shiny)
•   Sharp wire-stripping edge on cap lifter
•   PAT on can opener
•   5-turn grooved corkscrew
•   New hidden awl

For me all of these point towards an early 1970s date, especially the polished tools, (edit: see reply below) but what is odd is the angled-tooth saw. From what I have read, this is an early-to-mid 60’s design, usually found with a shackle not a keyring.

Feast on these pics and let me know if you have a better idea. You guys are the best.
IMG_6396.jpg
* IMG_6396.jpg (Filesize: 170.62 KB)
IMG_6395.jpg
* IMG_6395.jpg (Filesize: 182.11 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:50:47 PM by boatman422 »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
I'd say early 1960s, say 1963-1964. Two big things to look at:

- Asymmetric teeth on the saw
- Large Elinox stamp on the main blade

The key ring attachment is a red herring for dating Elinox knives. While the Victoria line may not have started using it until 1968+, I suspect cellidor Elinox knives started using it as early as 1963. We know from the 1957 catalog that alox Elinox knives had the key ring attachment, so it shouldn't be super weird that it shows up for cellidor knives in the early 1960s. Not consistently though - there is still quite a bit of bail usage on the Elinox line through the 1960s as well.

As far as polish goes, the main blades started getting full polish around 1961 for Elinox knives, so any small-awl Elinox will have polished blades and unpolished other tools (openers, awl, fine screwdriver, scissors). So this knife having polished blades is to be expected. These tools on your knife are bright, but appear to have very sharp edges indicating that they are not polished.

us Offline boatman422

I'd say early 1960s, say 1963-1964. Two big things to look at:

- Asymmetric teeth on the saw
- Large Elinox stamp on the main blade

The key ring attachment is a red herring for dating Elinox knives. While the Victoria line may not have started using it until 1968+, I suspect cellidor Elinox knives started using it as early as 1963. We know from the 1957 catalog that alox Elinox knives had the key ring attachment, so it shouldn't be super weird that it shows up for cellidor knives in the early 1960s. Not consistently though - there is still quite a bit of bail usage on the Elinox line through the 1960s as well.

As far as polish goes, the main blades started getting full polish around 1961 for Elinox knives, so any small-awl Elinox will have polished blades and unpolished other tools (openers, awl, fine screwdriver, scissors). So this knife having polished blades is to be expected. These tools on your knife are bright, but appear to have very sharp edges indicating that they are not polished.

Thank you for the great information, JB. This is truly enlightening.

You are, of course, correct on the tools. I've taken a few shots - the edges are quite sharp and squared off per your observation.

Apologies on my misuse of nomenclature re: "polished" Elinox tools. Hopefully this thread can be useful to later users who wish to set a date for their own specimens.

Also really insightful on the keyring. There is not a lot of information out there regarding the Elinox line in general, so this was extremely useful.
IMG_6398.jpg
* IMG_6398.jpg (Filesize: 167.54 KB)
IMG_6399.jpg
* IMG_6399.jpg (Filesize: 187.65 KB)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:57:14 PM by boatman422 »

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Great score  :like: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!