Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fieldmaster - the most useless SAK?

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
on: January 16, 2020, 11:41:16 PM
Fellow knights,

In view of the upcoming Fieldmaster challenge, I feel it is my holy duty as a Swiss Army Knight to point out how utterly pointless the Fieldmaster is. The Huntsman pairs a saw with a corkscrew. It is rather easy to picture a romantic camping scenario where these two tools might come in handy. But who in their right mind would ever pair a saw with a Philips screwdriver?

Cheers,

Blasphemous Simon

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Fieldmaster - the most useless SAK?
Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:47:19 PM
Sounds like you need to join the February challenge!   :SAKnight:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 11:50:21 PM
Scenario: you are changing out a light switch for a larger box, say a single to a double. The straight driver removes the plate, the Phillips is used to remove the box, the saw gets used to open the hole. Cap lifter gets used to open a beer after a job well done. Viola! Fieldmaster to the rescue!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 11:51:18 PM
I like the way you think, Nix  :rofl: :cheers:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 11:52:30 PM
Scenario: you are changing out a light switch for a larger box, say a single to a double. The straight driver removes the plate, the Phillips is used to remove the box, the saw gets used to open the hole. Cap lifter gets used to open a beer after a job well done. Viola! Fieldmaster to the rescue!

Touché!  ;)

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 11:55:48 PM
Erroneous!
I have spent many seconds learning to open a corked bottle of wine with my FIeldmaster for just such an occasion! Also, to justify the need of not needing SAK with a corkscrew! But I still have and want more :rofl: :cheers:
Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 12:02:43 AM
Use the saw to cut an appropriate size stick, then use said stick to push the cork into the bottle, yes you can, yes I have, I'll have to demonstrate it during the challenge, I'll admit it does take some force, especially if the bottle is hydro locked with too much wine  :hatsoff:

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 12:08:12 AM
What I learned (think I explained this some where’s else) is: small blade cuts into cork, push the can opener into the cut, twist the cork loose to break the bond. Once the cork is 1/4 way out it wants to split. Rotate Fieldmaster perpendicular with bottle and pinch the cork between thumb and pointer and start to rotate cork out!

Cutting a stick is much easier......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 12:16:41 AM
The Phillips will also loosen and tighten wire connectors on see we itch or outlet.
Definitely an American tool, who corks their BEER?   If opened you drink it. 
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 12:27:30 AM
What I learned (think I explained this some where’s else) is: small blade cuts into cork, push the can opener into the cut, twist the cork loose to break the bond. Once the cork is 1/4 way out it wants to split. Rotate Fieldmaster perpendicular with bottle and pinch the cork between thumb and pointer and start to rotate cork out!

Cutting a stick is much easier......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But your method, requires nothing more than a Recruit  :hatsoff:
That's the beauty of a SAK, they give us the tools, the rest is imagination  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 12:36:53 AM
That's the beauty of a SAK, they give us the tools, the rest is imagination  :cheers:

Amen!  :like:

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 12:44:01 AM
:think: :facepalm:
Agreed, Ive had more fun EDCing a SAK than any other MT or folder that I've owned/own. :cheers:

nz Offline Storm

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 12:45:10 AM
Preach it brother Greg  :iagree:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:53:01 AM
 :rofl: Me too!
I like the way you think, Nix  :rofl: :cheers:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 12:54:22 AM
Only in the SAK Kingdom!! :rofl: :facepalm:
Barry

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 01:05:56 AM
Use the saw to cut an appropriate size stick, then use said stick to push the cork into the bottle, yes you can, yes I have, I'll have to demonstrate it during the challenge, I'll admit it does take some force, especially if the bottle is hydro locked with too much wine  :hatsoff:

So you end up with the cork in the bottle? Splendid. Now you just have to add some ice cubes to your drink. Fieldmaster saved the day!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:08:59 AM
 :rofl: :rofl:
Barry

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 01:21:05 AM
Thats to funny :rofl:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 01:26:02 AM
Most campgrounds I have been to prohibit glass bottles and I have never seen a cork in a now glass bottle of wine, so in that case the corkscrew would just be a reminder of the good wine we were not allowed to have. (Although in truth my wife and I would be enjoying some good canned craft beer)

However, the battery compartment on my battery operated fan requires a phillips and I would hate for the romance to be spoiled because we were sweating and the fan batteries couldn’t be replaced.  Also, the screws on my gun holster require a phillips and I have been known to come across some not so friendly wildlife while camping.  I never did need to shoot one, but if the need did arise I would hate to have a holster malfunction keep me from protecting my wife, especially if a phillips could have prevented it.

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 01:33:44 AM
Simon
Trust me, when the situation calls for shoving the Cork into the bottle, forget ice cubes or glasses, you're drinking it right out of the bottle, adds a whole new level of romance passing the bottle  :rofl:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 01:46:57 AM

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 02:12:59 AM
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 04:52:36 PM
To me, it's probably the exact opposite. Not a tool on the Fieldmaster that I don't use on a regular basis. Even the hook, which for some jobs, fills in for pliers (pulling pins on equipment, yanking chains that get stuck in latch yokes on gates).  To me, it's both the ultimate EDC and handyman knife. Corkscrew--I've took knots out with it, and used it to carry the mini driver, but well, never as intended. I always say, some day, at some fancy restaurant, a waiter's corkscrew is gonna break or get lost, and I'll have the only other corkscrew (on my SAK) in the restaurant. Fish scaler--too short for any fish I've caught.  And besides, the SD tip of the can opener can't get to recessed screws--but the backside one can.  At present, my old Fieldmaster needs some work, and I'm carrying an Artisan Vic rebuilt for me. It's pretty old (1960s, I think). The Phillips has the file on the side, which is good for nails, and aggressive enough to clean electrical contacts.

And, if I ever need a corkscrew, there's always my Waiter or Alpineer (seriously, a great side carry with a backside Phillips SAK--thin and lightweight if you've got a slide-lock version).

us Offline boatman422

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 05:28:26 PM
Saw works well on plastic and other materials as well...

Backside Phillips can be used as a light duty punch (in a pinch).

Just thinking of typical ‘handyman’ tasks that might employ the FM’s unique toolset.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 06:38:51 PM

Sounds like you need to join the February challenge!   :SAKnight:
That indeed is the Spirit!  It is far to easy to stay within our comfort zone, true knights always rise up to challenge. :SAKnight:

Amen to that too!  :like:

Simon
Trust me, when the situation calls for shoving the Cork into the bottle, forget ice cubes or glasses, you're drinking it right out of the bottle, adds a whole new level of romance passing the bottle  :rofl:

I like the way you think, Greg!  :rofl:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 06:51:45 PM
That indeed is the Spirit!  It is far to easy to stay within our comfort zone, true knights always rise up to challenge. :SAKnight:

Nice try, but true to form, the Fieldmaster is one of the few current 91 mm SAKs I don't possess. Models without scissors or models with a saw seem to attract me less...

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 07:32:56 PM
I don't own a Field Master either, but not for any particular reason.  However, I think Simon's original blaspheme misses the point.  I can easily picture a scenario on a camping trip where a Phillips head screwdriver could come in handy (fixing/disassembling my Coleman propane stove, for example), BUT, my thing is I hate hate hate the backside Phillips.  I guess if you really need one and it's all you've got you'd be glad you had it.  But otherwise, give me a Yeoman with inline Phillips and corkscrew every time.  I'll bring a Farmer or a modern 111 mm Soldier for my sawing needs along as well.   

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 08:17:26 PM
I don't own a Field Master either, but not for any particular reason.  However, I think Simon's original blaspheme misses the point.  I can easily picture a scenario on a camping trip where a Phillips head screwdriver could come in handy (fixing/disassembling my Coleman propane stove, for example), BUT, my thing is I hate hate hate the backside Phillips.  I guess if you really need one and it's all you've got you'd be glad you had it.  But otherwise, give me a Yeoman with inline Phillips and corkscrew every time.  I'll bring a Farmer or a modern 111 mm Soldier for my sawing needs along as well.

Whatever floats your boat, Myron.  :) The fact remains: the Fieldmaster is pointless  :tu:

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 08:27:32 PM
... come to think of it: the Hiker is even more pointless. Saw and Philips, but does not even bring scissors to sweeten the deal. The king is dead, long live the king?

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 08:38:40 PM
Whatever floats your boat, Myron.  :) The fact remains: the Fieldmaster is pointless  :tu:

Haha!  It's funny how we all have these lines drawn in the SAK sand.  I am in agreement with you, Simon, that scissors are a must, so if I'm carrying a Pioneer or Cadet you can bet there'll be a Yeoman or Compact nearby.  And joining the backside Phillips on my own personal list of useless SAK implements would be the small knife blade. 

The King is dead. Long live the King!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD