Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I do not want a perfect multi-tool. 1380

Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,758 Born to multitask.
I do not want a perfect multi-tool.
« on: January 19, 2020, 05:33:54 PM »
I own many multi-tools, more than I will ever need. Different sizes, toolsets, materials, quality. And many different brands, not only the big four.

I have carried many around, mainly the Rebar, but quite a few others as well. And I like many of them. Is any one of them perfect?
No, they are not perfect. But at the same time, they are.

The Rebar is an excellent tool, and my edc. I added scissors and a package opener, and now it is even better. I am actually looking for another one, just because it is great. It is tough, reliable, comfortable, and it looks great. I love it.

I carried the Spirit for the 30 Day Spirit Challenge. It needs no praise; it is a well-known and loved tool. It is tough, reliable, comfortable, and it looks great. I love it.

I have also carried the Surge, the Charge, the Core, the Wave, the Gerber MP400, the Roxon Storm, the NexTool Flagship, the Ganzo 302, and others. They are tough, reliable, comfortable, and they look great. I love them.
Sure, some are tougher than others, or more comfortable, etc. Some are heavier, some are bulkier, some do not have as good a warranty, or lack certain tools, but it is alright.

I like variety. I like the different designs companies are coming up with. I like the different finishes, the toolsets, the sheath options, the locking mechanisms. I like multi-tools. It may take a few seconds to deploy a Rebar of MP400 Phillips, but then again, I like the fidget factor. I like having the tool in my hands. Every time I deploy the Storm's scissors, I smile. Whenever I fit the bit adapter on my Ganzo, I smile.

Being as diverse as they are, there will never be a multi-tool that is perfect. There is just no way that everyone will agree. Even then, does it matter? Probably not. Not to me, not now anyway. I am perfectly happy to carry any good multi-tool. And if a perfect one gets made, will it be much different than the Charge, Wave, MP400, Storm, or Spirit? Probably not. I still get by just fine with any one of those, with no complaints. Plus, I get to use many different multi-tools, each perfect in its own way.

And it's not like I am ever under-equipped. I can still cut a strap, drive screws, fit a bracket, saw a branch, remove staples, bend steel wire, open a package. As long as the tool is not a cheap, poorly made piece of junk, everything is fine. I know that I will get through my day and not have to worry about which multi-tool I happen to have that day. Because whatever I happen to carry, it will be perfect.
No Life Club Posts: 4,306
Re: I do not want a perfect multi-tool.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
:iagree:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,917 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 06:57:52 PM »
Good post RP  :cheers:

I love my Spirit and MP400  and use the Spirit every day at work. I don't have much experience with LM tools and would really like to try the Rebar or Wave to see how they compare. However different they all are, fun is the common factor.  :tu:

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf
No Life Club Posts: 1,734
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 07:06:11 PM »
 :hatsoff: :cheers:

Nice post RP!

I agree with you.  I too, do not want a perfect multi-tool. 

In fact, my Gerber MP600 is the perfect imperfect multitool for my bag, which I leave in my car.  It has everything I might need, and don't otherwise have with me. 
No Life Club Posts: 1,544
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
I do think it is possible that somewhere in the future there might emerge the perfect multi-tool for me for a given scenario. It won't be perfect for all or for all things, but maybe for what I need for the most. Other ones might get closer to perfect for other people and other tasks. In general things keep improving - often by specializing.

I think high-end multi-tools will be about 25-40% less weigh within the next 5-8 years, and with more and sturdier functionality to boot. That can only be good? We live in interesting times.  :cheers:

"If only simple wasn't so hard" - me
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).
No Life Club Posts: 4,632
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
I go back and forth.  In some ways, I would love my perfect multitool and in other ways I like variety.

Right now, I am enjoying the variety aspect and changing different tools and knives based on planned day and mode.

That being said there is some comfort in that perfect combo that you just know meets your needs and you don’t even have to think about it.  Even then that combo may have to change based on certain factors.  Which is why there really isn’t a perfect multitool.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,490
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »
 :iagree:  :cheers:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 08:45:59 PM »
I had the perfect multitool until I met you guys.   :cheers:

Can you remember the days when you got a new free cell phone every two years?  Every two years, you picked which special feature you wanted.- external caller ID, one-touch silent mode, extra phonebook spaces... a camera?!?!

What would you rather have - the ability to choose a new flip phone each day, or one smart phone for the rest of your life?
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,917 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:51:32 PM »
If I'm honest with myself, a Spirit and a Classic is all I need but like everyone here variety, is the spice of life!

I couldn't ditch my MP400, SRM7010, Bund knife, Minigriptilian, SI, Farmer, woodsman or BuSchroder - I'm just attached to them!

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 10:54:39 PM »
If I'm honest with myself, a Spirit and a Classic is all I need but like everyone here variety, is the spice of life!

I couldn't ditch my MP400, SRM7010, Bund knife, Minigriptilian, SI, Farmer, woodsman or BuSchroder - I'm just attached to them!
:iagree: 110%
I think a MT and a SAK would cover 95% of all our needs, but variety is the spice of life!  :cheers:
No Life Club Posts: 2,647
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 11:36:22 PM »
Even if I had the perfect multi I'd still rotate it with less perfect stuff  :)

Prone to daydreaming.
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 60,909
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »
 :iagree: with everyone here :cheers: I have a few that I rotate through, some are carried more than others. I enjoy the differences of each one that I do carry and that is what makes it fun  :tu:

Great thread, RP :like:
No Life Club Posts: 2,314
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
I keep changing my mind over what I actually want! Oh and that's before you get to situation specific multitools....

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,983
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 02:20:36 AM »
If there was a perfect multitool, the multitool world would be stagnant and boring... But then again, the industry is already in that state...

If there was a perfect multitool, we wouldn’t see all those lovely mods in the forums...

Personally, I like the Spirit very much... But like the rest, I rotate my carries. Just to make things exciting... A rebar with added scissors, an MP600 with added wood saw... notice the patttern, yes? Tool density... But some times I go for bladeless or even a simpler one like the PST or SOG PPP...

SAK wise, the modded Jedi Mini Tool Chest stays permanent on my keychain... As for the bigger ones, really just rotate between Jalox, Jalox Jr and a modded Voyageur...
No Life Club Posts: 1,786
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
Went back to a SAK,  joined here, started carrying a folder and SAK. Then the other day added a PST back on the belt. After specifically saying "I don't want to carry a pliers based MT anymore". I like them all! :woohoo:

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 05:16:04 AM »
Went back to a SAK,  joined here, started carrying a folder and SAK. Then the other day added a PST back on the belt. After specifically saying "I don't want to carry a pliers based MT anymore". I like them all! :woohoo:
:rofl:
Oh boy, do I know that feeling!  :cheers:
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »

I carried the same SAK for 10 years.  (and carried only a SAK for about 13 years)

Joined MTo

Planning to try out and review the Gerber Armbar this spring... and of course for a fair test, it has to be the only thing I carry.

MTo made me do it

:facepalm:
No Life Club Posts: 1,786
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 02:01:09 AM »
Haha! MTO the rabbit hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Jr. Member Posts: 64
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 02:52:31 AM »
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
In fact, my Gerber MP600 is the perfect imperfect multitool for my bag

Nicely put. My point exactly.  :cheers:
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
I think high-end multi-tools will be about 25-40% less weigh within the next 5-8 years, and with more and sturdier functionality to boot.

Hopefully weight goes down and materials improve. It would be nice to see more LM models with 154CM blades, like the Surge, Rebar etc. And for other manufacturers to moveaway from 3cr13mov etc and go with better steels.
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:09 PM »
:iagree: with everyone here :cheers: I have a few that I rotate through, some are carried more than others. I enjoy the differences of each one that I do carry and that is what makes it fun  :tu:

Great thread, RP :like:

Nicely summed up.  :hatsoff:I wanted to say that, but wrote a novel in the process.  :rofl: :facepalm:
Hero Member Posts: 552
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 08:01:05 PM »
I do:

Pliers like a Leatherman, one hand knife and scissors for outside tools, useful array of other tools for EDC, pocketable with a robust and reliable clip. I'd also like it to be very rust resistant and blue if possible.

Basically if Leatherman made improvements to the Wingman format they'd have the perfect edc carry for me.

I would still be interested in other designs just to see what people come up with because I like ingenuity but I think really useful innovations rarely come along.
Full Member Posts: 159
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
Looking at the knife world in general its amazing how many ways one can find to put a handle on a blade. Then the copy cat syndrome, ever notice how all new cars have a similar design, just minor differences. multi tools same way, Leatherman used old juice parts to make the b2 and c2 and the 2 bladed congress knifes. Gerber has had how many built on more or less the suspension platform. Now they have a mini version of the center drives best features coming out in the Arm Bar. throw in some fanatical fan base ocd and we wonder why our toy drawer is so full? Damn multi tools are worse than beanie babies/stamps and coins put together? Gotta have this to do that but this has a corkscrew/awl, but this has replaceable cutters etc. its just a fun collecting/using hobby/obsession.
Full Member Posts: 126
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
It's important to use and appreciate what you have.  Too many people are obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses and the quest for ownership is never going to give them true happiness.  Better to have a decent tool and use it well than have a collectors case full of tools and never use them.
No Life Club Posts: 4,306
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2020, 08:49:09 PM »
But its also fun to get a new shiny(or BO) tool to play with

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 4,313
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 04:35:21 AM »
I have probably two dozen multitools and four dozen SAKs. But, the more I use my tools; I have found my SwissTool is pretty much perfect for the work that I do; but I still love my Rebar equally. The plain base-model SwissTool. It has big enough spear-point PE and sheepsfoot SE blades.  Pliers that are plenty strong, and grip very well. Cutters that shear hard wire easily.  Most of the drivers I need on a regular basis; including medium and large drivers that pry anything needed. Being made by Victorinox, it's got the good can opener. The wood saw is good for when I need that (as it is on SAKs), the file is the most aggressive in my arsenal, and the metal saw teeth on the third edge cut most non-hardened steel quickly.  More reason why it is issued to far more troops than the MP600. It's that good.
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »
I have probably two dozen multitools and four dozen SAKs. But, the more I use my tools; I have found my SwissTool is pretty much perfect for the work that I do; but I still love my Rebar equally. The plain base-model SwissTool. It has big enough spear-point PE and sheepsfoot SE blades.  Pliers that are plenty strong, and grip very well. Cutters that shear hard wire easily.  Most of the drivers I need on a regular basis; including medium and large drivers that pry anything needed. Being made by Victorinox, it's got the good can opener. The wood saw is good for when I need that (as it is on SAKs), the file is the most aggressive in my arsenal, and the metal saw teeth on the third edge cut most non-hardened steel quickly.  More reason why it is issued to far more troops than the MP600. It's that good.

I didnt know that.   :salute: :tu:
No Life Club Posts: 2,956
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2020, 09:28:47 PM »
I've thought about trying others but I keep reverting back to the Spirit and I got nothing.

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $103.52
PayPal Fees: $6.31
Net Balance: $97.21
Below Goal: $202.79
Site Currency: USD