Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Experciences with the Acebeam 21700 battery cell with built in powerbank feature 273

Newbie Posts: 15
Experciences with the Acebeam 21700 battery cell with built in powerbank feature
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Recently I discovered the following flashlight related product; it's a 5100 mAh 21700 Lithium battery cell with a built in micro-USB charging and what makes it really interesting it that it also has a built in powerbank feature which you can use with the supplied cable.

Charging rate is quite slow (5V/1A) but the idea carrying a powerfull flashlight in my pocket that can double as an emergency powerbank for my Phone, camera of other digital products seemed really interesting to me. However I do not particularly like the AceBeam flashlights, now the AceBeam 21700 battery seems quite similair to the 21700 cells of more popular brands like Felix, Olight and Nitecore.

However I do notice that some modern flashlights like for example the Fenix PD36R use USB C for charging or Olight used their propieraty magnet cable and they explicitly say you can only use the supplied battery or their own brand. Now I think these batteries might be interechangable but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using different brands of battery cells in their flashlights. And if so, will all charging methods still work?

Looking forward to any replies,

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,881
Re: Experciences with the Acebeam 21700 battery cell with built in powerbank feature
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Hi Guys,

Recently I discovered the following flashlight related product; it's a 5100 mAh 21700 Lithium battery cell with a built in micro-USB charging and what makes it really interesting it that it also has a built in powerbank feature which you can use with the supplied cable.
(Image removed from quote.)
Charging rate is quite slow (5V/1A) but the idea carrying a powerfull flashlight in my pocket that can double as an emergency powerbank for my Phone, camera of other digital products seemed really interesting to me. However I do not particularly like the AceBeam flashlights, now the AceBeam 21700 battery seems quite similair to the 21700 cells of more popular brands like Felix, Olight and Nitecore.

However I do notice that some modern flashlights like for example the Fenix PD36R use USB C for charging or Olight used their propieraty magnet cable and they explicitly say you can only use the supplied battery or their own brand. Now I think these batteries might be interechangable but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using different brands of battery cells in their flashlights. And if so, will all charging methods still work?

Looking forward to any replies,

That's a nifty product, just don't know how reliable it is in real life.  Personally, I don't own any batteries that has to use proprietary charger.  It's too restrictive for my own taste.

I do use my nitecore rechargable batteries with my Fenix light from time to time, only because I also use nitecore chargers and I figure they seems to know what they are doing.  But generally, I use primary most majority of the time(no charging, less chance for any accident), but when I do, I only use Fenix and nitecore which I've learnt to trust.

Follow us on MTO Unleashed Challenge this month!
Free Magnets! Nessmuk Challenge in Sept
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Full Member Posts: 185
Re: Experciences with the Acebeam 21700 battery cell with built in powerbank feature
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 10:42:05 PM »
Sorry, I not have experience with this battery format (I not have yet bought any 21700 lights) but I recommend that you choose carefully, I know that some batteries are protected and others are not with a notable difference in height.
Not all chargers manage the 21700 protected by their height.
21700 is a good format, I recently bought a powerbank (Poweradd brand) which uses this format.

Do you want to buy a 21700 flashlight or would you buy it just because you like the idea of a "dual use" battery?
If you want to stay on a popular format like 18650 look at Xtar and Nitecore brand chargers (one or two slots version) many models can become powerbanks on a single slot or on both.
Recently Xtar made a specific model (model PB2 (portable battery charger with power bank function) But there are also other models that on a single slot can serve as a powerbank.
Nitecore models that offer this function are the "F" series (models F1, F2, F4), some of which are also used outdoors by hikers and are also suitable for working with solar panels.
Sorry for any bad translation.
Newbie Posts: 15
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses, my idea was to buy a 21700 flashlight because of the high capacity and the model I have in mind (the Fenix PD36R) has also a USB-C port which many older models do not have.

My reasoning was that ofcourse I can bring a seperate powerbank or a seperate charger with powerbank functionality but this means carrying around another device. I rarely use a powerbank so it's more for an emergency, that's why I really liked the concept of a dual use flashlight/emergency powerbank.

In the meantime I think I have found a solution that works even better. Because I read the AceBeam cells are not of bad quality but they do have less protection built in then Fenix cells.

I found this device that is called the Folomov A1 and there is also a Nitecore version called the Nitecore LC10. These magnetic cables with a built-in microchip can both charge and discharge almost any size Li-ion battery. It is actually perfect for my use I think.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:31:13 PM by Gino88 »
Hero Member Posts: 910 Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »
I like that Folomov device...seems like a great idea. I have one of the Olight chargers that is similar, but it doesn't allow it to be used as a powerbank.

I have the Xtar BD2 smart charger and it has the ability to be used as a powerbank. I have used it to charge my Asus tablet before so it puts out pretty good power.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $23.00
PayPal Fees: $1.77
Net Balance: $21.23
Below Goal: $278.77
Site Currency: USD
 7%