Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One Man Army - Show your Soldiers 28056

No Life Club Posts: 1,478
Re: One Man Army - Show your Soldiers
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2020, 04:43:34 PM »
As always, great article Myron. Thanks for sharing!

Nice collections Myron and philodemus  :like: :tu:

Great article Myron!  :tu:

Thank you, gents!
Sr. Member Posts: 353
« Reply #481 on: March 29, 2020, 09:55:42 PM »
Philodemus, your collection is just so superb.  That South African NSN has been on my list forever.  And I have never seen the Canadian collector edition.  Must be super rare.  Very nice.

Myron
Thanks!  :hatsoff:

I have only ever seen one other example of the Canadian edition Soldier. I have no idea how many of them were made.
Sr. Member Posts: 285
« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
I have only the modern one so far...

Just Bananas Posts: 73,912
« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Nice pics Chidling  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
No Life Club Posts: 1,037
« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »
 :iagree: :tu:

All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,537
« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2020, 11:29:54 PM »
 :like: :like:

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 1,907
« Reply #486 on: August 01, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
In 20 years from now, people will be searching for these modern Soldiers as a BYSAK.  It's all about perspective.  :tu:
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2020, 04:14:57 PM »
Exactly, and wishing for a time machine

Barry
Full Member Posts: 100
« Reply #488 on: August 06, 2020, 03:39:51 AM »
 :) Thank you for the link and research!!!

Fellow Knights and Soldier SAK collectors,

I just published an article on my blog highlighting my experience collecting the Model 1961.  If you'd like to read it, it can be found here:  http://www.roverhaven.com/the-rover-haven-blog

Enjoy!

Myron

Teaser pic:

(Image removed from quote.)

Phil ~  Awls Well That Ends Well :)
« Reply #489 on: August 06, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
In 20 years from now, people will be searching for these modern Soldiers as a BYSAK.  It's all about perspective.  :tu:

I lack three SAKs to have every year of issue from 1962 to 2019, and all of them are harder-to-find Model 2008's.  If they are scarce now, imagine 20 years from now. 

And speaking of the Model 2008, I can't wait to see what supersedes it.  I wonder if the venerable can opener will finally sunset.
« Reply #490 on: August 06, 2020, 07:26:38 PM »
I lack three SAKs to have every year of issue from 1962 to 2019, and all of them are harder-to-find Model 2008's.  If they are scarce now, imagine 20 years from now. 

And speaking of the Model 2008, I can't wait to see what supersedes it.  I wonder if the venerable can opener will finally sunset.

That will be interesting.  It's fascinating as to the amount of thought, or lack thereof, that's put into the Soldier model.  For the last two major iterations, it's been a riff on the Outdoors model of the time.  I've heard that the Soldier model isn't actually issued to everyone any more... that some get other models. 

I wonder if they're going to base it on a SwissTool.... or if they will change the backspring mechanism to make the OHO easier.  I doubt the latter, somehow. 

When does a SAK become not-a-SAK?
Hero Member Posts: 517
« Reply #491 on: August 06, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »

When does a SAK become not-a-SAK?

I think that’s an excellent question.

Some days ago I was “sorting” (my euphemism for “fondling”) my knives, and I came across my sole 111mm knife, a Hunter I purchased in the late 80s. While it’s a good knife that always did whatever was required of it, and there is no doubt that it is indeed a SAK, there is something intangible that just doesn’t sit right with me.  And I don’t know why.

I’ve given this question much more thought than it deserves, yet I remain both firm in my conviction and completely mystified as to why I feel this way. I have no significant issue with the 108mm models, so I don’t think the size alone is the problem. Maybe it’s the asymmetry?

I suppose it’s a very good thing we don’t all like the same things; otherwise finding those special SAKs from bygone days would be even harder than it already is.

Edited to add: I think I might have had an epiphany. I got “into” SAKs around 1985. I think perhaps if it doesn’t look like a SAK that was around at that time it isn’t a “real” SAK to me. Maybe.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:58:00 PM by Frailer »
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2020, 10:32:54 PM »
I think that’s an excellent question.

Some days ago I was “sorting” (my euphemism for “fondling”) my knives, and I came across my sole 111mm knife, a Hunter I purchased in the late 80s. While it’s a good knife that always did whatever was required of it, and there is no doubt that it is indeed a SAK, there is something intangible that just doesn’t sit right with me.  And I don’t know why.

I’ve given this question much more thought than it deserves, yet I remain both firm in my conviction and completely mystified as to why I feel this way. I have no significant issue with the 108mm models, so I don’t think the size alone is the problem. Maybe it’s the asymmetry?

I suppose it’s a very good thing we don’t all like the same things; otherwise finding those special SAKs from bygone days would be even harder than it already is.

Edited to add: I think I might have had an epiphany. I got “into” SAKs around 1985. I think perhaps if it doesn’t look like a SAK that was around at that time it isn’t a “real” SAK to me. Maybe.

I too have given this more thought than it deserves.  (I also think that it deserves its own thread) I have to say, your criteria of symmetry is a good one. 

If I ask you to define "chair"... I guarantee that you'd have some trouble....  Four legs?  My chair right now has one leg and 5 feet.  Square slab to sit on?  Mine is triangular.  Has a back support to it?  Mine is an ergo-chair that has support in the front when I lean forward.  We can go on an on.....  But wait.....  three legs and no back but you can sit on it?  "Not a chair - a stool!" I say.  Long flat rectangle with four legs and no back that you are sitting on?  "Get off the table, I tell you!"

Plato called this "The Theory of Forms".  In our somewhat collective imagination we have an idealized "form" of a SAK.  We can't quite describe it but we know it when we see it.  In this idea, we may have certain attributes -  red, symmetrical, nonlocking, slipjoints, tools on back AND front..... or can it be locking, but must have a slipjoint anyway?  The symmetry gets just one outlier in the 111mm shape - or does it??  Is a thumb stud going too far?  If it doesn't have the patented dual-sided spring mechanism that Elsener invented, is it a SAK?   Are the Alox models a SAK then?

In our collective imaginations, we have an "ideal" SAK, and we do have differnet ideals.  In my mind, I can't imagine what "improvement" could be made on a SAK Soldier that would still allow it to be called a SAK.  My only thought is to swap out the saw with one or two tools designed for use with other Swiss Army weapons or equipment.  This would make it less useful for civilians but more of a "Soldier" tool. 
Newbie Posts: 12
« Reply #493 on: August 07, 2020, 08:39:12 AM »
Mine. 8)

« Reply #494 on: August 07, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
 :like: :cheers:

« Reply #495 on: August 07, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
 :iagree: :like: :tu:

« Reply #496 on: August 07, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
 :iagree:

Barry
New User Posts: 4
« Reply #497 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »

Have these been discontinued?
Another question I thought I'd ask here, does the German version of the newer soldier have the date stamp?
« Reply #498 on: August 12, 2020, 06:08:15 PM »
Nope and nope.  The Model 2008 is current issue and has been from 2008.  In my experience the hardest to find is 2008 itself and 2012.  The rest are fairly easy.  I usually look for the current year issue around the end of the year.

The equivalent GAK has never had the year of issue on its shank. 

Myron
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »
Thanks to an amazing forum member, I am now the happy owner of a Mod 1908 Elsener from 1936.  I had been looking for one for a long time, since it's my father's birth year. 

Newbie Posts: 12
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2020, 03:37:32 PM »
A hell of a relic.  :like:
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »
 :iagree: :like: :tu:

« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2020, 02:36:16 AM »
Thanks guys!  I used it for dinner tonight and it was amazing.  :)

« Reply #503 on: August 16, 2020, 04:43:24 PM »
That just looks  :drool: :drool: :drool:

« Reply #504 on: August 16, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
That just looks  :drool: :drool: :drool:

healthy!  it looks so much more healthy than what I've been eating.   :facepalm:
Hero Member Posts: 517
« Reply #505 on: August 26, 2020, 04:33:21 AM »
I apologize in advance, but my MTO search skills are lacking. I seem to recall somebody mentioning a supply of NIB Soldiers from 1993 and 1996 (I think) appearing in the Victorinox factory store.

In any case, I recently purchased what I believe to be one of these (from 93), and I’m quite pleased. I normally try to purchase Soldiers that appear to have been issued, but as this is impossible to ascertain in knives from this era, I’m pleased to have a shiny new one to complete my little collection of what I consider to be the major variations in the model.

My question is: does anyone have any additional information on this particular group of NOS knives?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
October Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: $109.46
PayPal Fees: $6.30
Net Balance: $103.16
Below Goal: $196.84
Site Currency: USD
34%