Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New for 2020 - PowerAccess Assist MT 1668

Marketing Maven Administrator No Life Club Posts: 1,214 Does your head look like a watermelon?
New for 2020 - PowerAccess Assist MT
« on: January 23, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
The Power Access Assist MT was on display at the 2020 SHOT Show. It features 21 tools, assisted opening blades, compound leverage and more. It come in the stone washed finish or black oxide.

SOG's 2020 multitool offering is coming in slightly before the re-brand. We firmly believe in the Compound Leverage mechanism featured in this tool, as used previously- but we are still hoping to see more finessing.

Grant really enjoys the previous version of this tool, and we're looking forward to getting our hands on this one for review and testing. I am going to hold my opinion on the tool until we try it out. But here are some photos we took at the show!

Price: $100 USD

Black Oxide:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:33:25 PM by Megan »

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

No Life Club Posts: 2,344
Re: New for 2020 - PowerAccess Assist MT
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 03:50:15 PM »
What is the steel on those? The stonewash on a MT would make me worry about rust. Heck I sometimes get light surface rust on my Charge, used in dirty and wet environments and not cleaned fully. The real world of the multitool.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Marketing Maven Administrator No Life Club Posts: 1,214 Does your head look like a watermelon?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
What is the steel on those? The stonewash on a MT would make me worry about rust. Heck I sometimes get light surface rust on my Charge, used in dirty and wet environments and not cleaned fully. The real world of the multitool.

Sorry about that!
The steel is 5cr15MoV

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,618
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
Interesting to have assisted knife on MT, just hope it is an easy one hand closing for the blade.

Just saw a Protech and Arcform collab new auto knife on YT, the highlight is the smooth easy closing.

Join Daredevil, Giant and Poker Face Challenge in 2021 and get Free magnets!
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Just Bananas Posts: 74,069
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 04:47:33 PM »
Looks good  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
No Life Club Posts: 4,575
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »
Cool looking tool :like: Looking forward to see some reviews :popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,625
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
 :iagree: :like:
No Life Club Posts: 1,978 Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
I like this better than the original PowerAccess. At least you can get the big tools open one handedly. I just remain skeptical of SOG's stuff when it looks basically the same as what they have been offering lately.

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks
Jr. Member Posts: 66
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »
Interesting to have assisted knife on MT, just hope it is an easy one hand closing for the blade.

Just saw a Protech and Arcform collab new auto knife on YT, the highlight is the smooth easy closing.
It looks kinda like the locktab of the Leatherman free p4 which is easy close one handed. Should at least be easier than their older powerassist

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,252
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 09:36:35 PM »
The fine screwdriver is interesting. They’ve squeezed a lot into the tool and styling looks neat.  :like:
But the thumb stud on the saw will snag when cutting.  ???
I originally was a fan of the geared pliers (have the PP, PPP and PowerAssist), until I realized how it limits the opening of the jaws. Still undecided whether this trade-off justifies the increased gripping power.  :dunno:
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,134 Born to multitask.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
It looks really nice. I like the clean, plain handles.

It looks a little thick.
The long tools look a little short.
The rescue hook seems to protrude too much.
The thumb-studs are in slicing/cutting paths. Especially for the saw, which is already short.

As nice as it looks, I think I'll wait for 2021. :pok:
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,252
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
...and someone needs to tell me where the index mark is for the angle guide on the gear guard.  :dunno:

And please tell me I’m not mad, and that there’s nothing that folds inside those outer scale ‘pockets’, that they’re just styling? (Adding thickness)  :dunno:

Mmm, the more I look at the pics, the more I’m wondering about this MT...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:08:56 PM by Max Stone »
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,134 Born to multitask.
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 11:26:26 PM »
And please tell me I’m not mad, and that there’s nothing that folds inside those outer scale ‘pockets’, that they’re just styling? (Adding thickness)  :dunno:

Do they house the assist mechanism? :think:
Newbie Posts: 13
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 04:16:39 AM »
Is it just the knives that are assisted, or are the saw and hook also assisted?
No Life Club Posts: 1,978 Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 04:44:47 PM »
Do they house the assist mechanism? :think:

Wow, I didn't realize that the implements aren't even in those channels! Lame. Added thickness just for an assist mechanism does not seem like a good trade. Plus, the thumb studs are extra long to clear the channels. Goofy

And another thing! A plain edge, a serrated, and a strap cutter is triple redundant and a waste of space. Do either a PE or CE and strap cutter, then you have room for scissors or a file. But SOG makes pretty bad scissors and smooth files so maybe that's why they have so many blades. Where is Picard?

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:52:51 PM by rdub934 »

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 09:24:12 PM »
Is it just the knives that are assisted, or are the saw and hook also assisted?

I believe it’s two assisted blades and the two tools you’ve mentioned are also assisted. We’ll get one, and Grant is looking forward to reviewing it. He really enjoyed its predecessor.

-Megan
Send me a message.

Global Moderator Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here... Posts: 49,059
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:43 PM »
I like that SOG offers BO as an option on these !
Global Moderator Just Bananas Posts: 61,625
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 12:04:48 PM »
The BO does look nice :dd: I am looking forward to seeing these in person sometime as well :like:
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 24,490
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
The BO is nice looking. I was wondering more about the wrench and bits as I am currently looking at those items.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $190.80
PayPal Fees: $12.28
Net Balance: $178.52
Below Goal: $121.48
Site Currency: USD
60%