Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG consensus

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
SOG consensus
on: November 08, 2019, 09:02:35 PM
Hello all. Not really been posting much the last few years. So, HI again! Anyways, I used to be all aboard the SOG train, but after the shift to lower quality designs and end products, I'm wondering where we are with SOG these days. I still like my PowerLock and SwitchPlier (in my pack right now) but...

PowerAccess - Some cool features like the outside accessible tools and the 1/4" bit driver built into the base of the plier-head. But the tool is not as well put together as the PPP, has uncomfortable handles, and the implements on one handle tend to fold up under use (faulty lock).
PowerAccess Delux - SOG cashing in on the only winning design they've had recently? Haven't held one, but I assume it's the same as little bro but bigger.
PowerPint and PowerLitre - I've read some not-so-good reviews on these.
The Sync and Baton lines  :facepalm:.
The PowerPlay and PowerGrab - whatever happened to these guys?
Reactor - I liked it, but even I admit it is low quality, especially compared to a Skeletool or Octane. Overall, most seemed to hate it.
The new Crosscut thing - the Crosscut 2.0 was bad and this guy doesn't even have compound leverage as a selling point.

And it looks like for 2020 SOG is offering BO versions of their recent releases and a "traveler" version of the Sync 1. Do we have any hope for SOG at this point? They don't seem interested in raising their level in the multitool game. Just putting out low quality tools that meet a certain price point.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SOG consensus
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 09:25:02 PM
Sadly appears that their MTs are past their sell by. Love my old PPP which is better made than a PST and just as compact, but it’s the only one I carry (others are Paratool, Power Plier and Power Assist...which is just a fiddle-toy)  :facepalm:

GLBM should chime in on this topic...definitely MTo resident expert on SOG MTs.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:16:36 PM
I have a real love/hate relationship with Sog.  Some very cool designs, but piss poor QA and execution.

I still buy them as tools I enjoy playing with, but don't use any seriously.  Gerber and LM are just more reliable.

Even on the PowerLock, ostensibly a quality Sog, the blades still hit the inside of the handle channel.  It's inexcusable. 

Paratool and PocketPowerPlier are good tools though.  Compact, well built, useful. 

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 09:23:20 PM
I have many SOGs at this point. Only my PowerLock, SwitchPlier, and TAC-Auto knife ever see any carry time anymore. I just wish they could axe all the newer lines: Sync, Batons, Access's, Litre/Pint, Play, etc... and give us an upgraded/updated fullsize Toolclip. Put some G10 scales on that baby and make the blade a D2 flipper. SOG really doesn't have a true heavy-duty multitool. The PowerLock has heavy-duty pliers, and they are great, but the rest of the tool loadout is a joke. Especially when compared to Surge/Supertool or the CenterDrive. The PowerAccess's only really made improvements in the accessibility of the tools. Otherwise, they still feel flimsy.

Just wish they would stop dancing around the obvious solution. With the releases the last several years, SOG are firmly in last place in the MT game.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 12:34:12 AM
No faith in the brand whatsoever. Sorry.  :-\ 

I've tried them several times in the past. Loved the Toolclip, but sold that a while back. Loved my modded PT-510 too, but that got nicked. Everything else has left me wanting.

I've found gripes with every single manufacturer at some point, but always praised the elements of the tools which impressed me, be that in terms of design or quality or manufacture. I ain't seeing anything to praise from SOG. Overpriced, poor quality, poor ergonomics, some real clangers in terms of designs, and I think most of them are damn ugly too. I think the only "modern" tool of theirs I bought was the second Switchplier. I have handled some of their other tools though, and wouldn't trust any of them when the chips were down. They do have a few nice ideas every now and again, but they don't survive the journey to production.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 04:39:21 PM
Just got a Reactor (price dropped low enough and I have a disease), and it really encapsulates my feelings about SOG.  Overall, the design is mostly great.  Good weight, mine has no play or flex or rattling, comfortable, useful.  But the lock on the assisted blade has such poor freaking design.  Using the screwdriver unlocks it.  Using the pliers unlocks it.  Taking it out of your pocket unlocks it. I don't think the blade will come shooting out, there is some real resistance, but what is even the point of the lock if it was so poorly thought out.  This could have been a great tool, but they didn't even try to think of a lock that made sense.   

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 12:47:10 AM
I still snap up the older SOG multitools when I find them. I see their new stuff at Academy and it's meh.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:14:44 PM
I had the PowerLock briefly, but sent it back for a refund. One of the tool covers had missing black oxide in places like it was not degreased before it was coated. But I did really like the tool and still plan on buying a stainless one.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 06:10:48 AM
I looked at their new 2020 line-up, and see nothing that I'd want to buy.  The SEAL XR is about the only thing that interests me in a mild way.  Sorry.
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 11:17:53 PM
I think we need to look at their rebrand and new products for 2021...they seem to have realized that they’ve lost their way over the last few years. We’ll have to wait and see...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83794.0.html
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 10:53:29 AM
I think we need to look at their rebrand and new products for 2021...they seem to have realized that they’ve lost their way over the last few years. We’ll have to wait and see...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83794.0.html

I agree with Max on this, it's not like SOG never came up with good products, so they should be capable to pick themselves up and make a good return.

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 04:43:46 PM
I had the PowerLock briefly, but sent it back for a refund. One of the tool covers had missing black oxide in places like it was not degreased before it was coated. But I did really like the tool and still plan on buying a stainless one.

Update: So I picked up a new silver PowerLock to replace the BO one. This thing is flawless. Zero issues with fit and finish. In fact the QC is equal to, or better than any of my Leathermans.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%