Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 18th of July, 2018.

cbl51 · 40 · 1227

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
The 18th of July, 2018.
on: January 25, 2020, 06:32:53 PM
Over the past decade or two, okay maybe a bit more, I've been on a down sizing spiral. In late middle age, I did the first of a really major downsize. Gun collection, knife collection, excess motorcycles, car, power tools, fishing gear, and so on. O had spent the first half of my life collecting, accumulating, gathering, and hoarding all kinds of stuff. In the 70's I was a pepper, halfway convinced that it "was all gonna fall apart." I had enough stuff to arm and field a well equipped platoon.

Then I woke up.

It was like one day looking around at all the stuff I had accumulated, sometimes in spite of the wishes of my better half, and thinking "what the hell am I doing with all this s--t!?"

I had a big sell off and gie away to the kids, grandkids, nephews, nieces, co-workers, and friends. Later, a few years down the road I got rid of more stuff. I felt liberated, like someone had cut off the ball and chain from my ankle. The Chinese have a saying that the more possessions you own, there the possessions own you.

By now I was down almost to the bare minimum. A few SAK's, a couple guns, and one of each of fishing rods of rme and the better half and the granddaughter when she visits in the summer,  and one small tackle box that is about the size of a school lunch box. I still need a pocket knife, more now than ever since I'm doing more fishing that ever before. Being a retired gentleman of leisure, I have more time than ever before, so near every other day I'm someplace on he banks of the San Gabriel river trying to get dinner.

Since the 18th of July, or 2018, I got a nice little executive from Nix. I had never had an executive before, and frankly, I had scorned them. They were almost three times the cost of a classic, were too big to go on a keychain, and I just didn't see it. But after getting one in hand, and using it for there month, then two, then three, the true beauty of it came through to me. It was sort of like the light bulb going on over thread in a flash. An epiphany.  I then understood how General Chuck Yeager walked into the Sierra Nevada's for two weeks with one as his backpacking fishing knife.

Since the 18th of July 2018, the executive has taken over as my pocket knife. No, not a pocket knife in any rotation, but as my sole EDC carry pocket knife to the degree that I no longer even bother with any other pocketknife. I'm done. Finished. I'm cured of the knife nut obsession that has ruled most of my life. It's like being back in my Case peanut days. Discovering a small enough pocket knife that I can drop it in a pocket and forget about it until I need it. But it's a lot more versatile than my old Case peanut that I could no longer handle because of the arthritic old fingers that made dealing with a stiff spring little knife with jerky half stops a dangerous thing for a senior citizen. And unlike my old classic, the main blade of the executive is actually long enough to cut a sandwich in half, or gut a fish right out of the water and into the frying pan.

Its a very weird but liberating feeling to just put my pants on in the morning, and knowing that I have a nice pocket knife in there, and thats it. No more of "Should I carry the stockman today, oh no, no, I'll go with the peanut." Or even wondering what SAK to carry. Its like, I'm done with all that. If I could go back in time, I would never have bought all those knives I did in the 1970's and 89's. I'd have just stuck with Victorinox and maybe I'd have go to the executive sooner than my own blundering around until a generous person gifted me an executive.

I know my presence on Blade Forums has went down, and my presence here will go down, now that I'm sooooo content with the pocket knife in my pocket right now. I notice that when I don't go to the forums, that my 'want's' go way down. No matter if its a gun forum, knife forum, flashlight forum, whatever. I stopped even glancing at knife magazines many many years ago, and that was about the time I started my downsizing. Same with the gum magazines. If I didn't read any gun magazine, I was content with what I already had.

Soooo, I've decided that for me, the Chuck Yeager challenge is going to last the rest of my life.

Chuck Yeager is a brilliant man.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: The 18th of July, 2018.
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 06:50:12 PM
I can understand that big time...it was guns for me! I have gone from 18 down to 3. These 3 are my most favorite. Now I am down to 2 types of ammo to buy.  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 06:51:04 PM
Thank you for sharing the story, now I truly look forward to use the Executive in Minimalist challenge in November.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 07:50:23 PM
It honestly is liberating.  I think after today, spending time out in the woods with a Spyderco and a Spartan, that I'm going to start some giveaways!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:48:00 PM
I really like the Executive. O'l Yeager was really on to something there. It would likely do for me as an EDC knife and an only knife. For fishing or reading a newspaper, it is excellent.

For woods duty, I'd still pair it with a 4" fixed blade--I expect I'd be pretty happy. 

However....I'm not quite ready to give away all the other knives and tools quite yet. One day, I suppose, but not quite yet.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:24:52 PM
Thank you for sharing the story, now I truly look forward to use the Executive in Minimalist challenge in November.

:iagree:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 09:58:52 PM
I really like the Executive. O'l Yeager was really on to something there. It would likely do for me as an EDC knife and an only knife. For fishing or reading a newspaper, it is excellent.

For woods duty, I'd still pair it with a 4" fixed blade--I expect I'd be pretty happy. 

However....I'm not quite ready to give away all the other knives and tools quite yet. One day, I suppose, but not quite yet.

For woods duty I do pair it with my old Buck 102 woodsman. The woodsman's a general use clip blade about 4 inches or so in size. Haven't measured it. But thats only the other 2% of the use the small SAK is not enough for. But if I'm going light, the sheath knife gets left behind sometimes. I'm thinking of just doing the SAK and small machete combo like the guides did on our Costa Rica rain forest trip. They all combined a SAK with a 10 to 12 inch bladed small machete. I do like small machetes, soooo handy.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:48:38 AM

:iagree: When I am not able to go outdoors hiking and camping, then I will start getting rid of everything, which is still a good 15 years away!  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 01:10:05 AM
:iagree: When I am not able to go outdoors hiking and camping, then I will start getting rid of everything, which is still a good 15 years away!  :cheers:

:dwts:

Thats a sad thought... but in a way, it's going to be like changing out your EDC rotation with a different sort of occupation.   

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 01:51:26 AM
:dwts:

Thats a sad thought... but in a way, it's going to be like changing out your EDC rotation with a different sort of occupation.
You think I will go pass 80? That would be cool!  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:58:37 AM
You think I will go pass 80? That would be cool!  :cheers:

I think you'll live forever Rapidray!  You haven't proven me wrong yet.

:cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 02:06:31 AM
I think you'll live forever Rapidray!  You haven't proven me wrong yet.

:cheers:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That is good!  :like: :cheers: :drink:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 08:06:58 AM
That's real insight cbl and a great story. I'm with you Nix that I'm not quite there (yet) but most days I don't need more than a Classic if I'm honest and the Executive covers it in every respect except one. I do like to have a glasses screwdriver. Now that's not to say my glasses are prone to falling apart - they're not - but it's such clever thing in the screwdriver. I really can't understand why Vic haven't done something with their smaller SAKs to add the Pocket Tool Chest small screwdriver tool somehow.  :think:

Maybe one day eh?
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 09:39:07 AM
Yep. Following the lead, I bought an Executive several weeks back and aside from the occasional accompaniment of my Benchmade AFO II, the Executive has been all I need.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 09:59:10 AM
Nix also gave me one :facepalm: the only reason I don't carry it every day is because I have many other fun knives to choose from :D

But it's a great, little large knife :D :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 11:08:34 AM
I can understand that big time...it was guns for me! I have gone from 18 down to 3. These 3 are my most favorite. Now I am down to 2 types of ammo to buy.  :cheers:

I went from 0 to 0. How's that for downsizing? :pok:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 12:16:21 PM
Well thank you guys for all the praise to the Executive and that is enough knife for even cutting a sandwich in half etc.  ... just ordered a black one from Amaz...de as it was down to 29€   :ahhh

The missus will kill me   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 03:13:09 PM by McStitchy »

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 03:11:30 PM
Yep. Following the lead, I bought an Executive several weeks back and aside from the occasional accompaniment of my Benchmade AFO II, the Executive has been all I need.

(Image removed from quote.)

Theres nothing better than food and a SAK. 

To be honest, it's one of the reasons I EDC a SAK, and haven't switched to the Executive (another one being, as you all know, I find files offputting).  I use the knife quite a bit for food (like fruits that actually must be cut open), and I'm careful to use the outer 2/3 of the blade, which doesn't leave me much blade on the Executive. 

When my needs change (for now I want scissors), I think I'm going to switch to the Tourist or the Bantam.  I've strongly considered going to one of the EvoGrip models now, but fiddling with them in the shop, I felt that the added width was too much for me. 

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 03:12:13 PM

Nice Executive meal  :cheers: :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 03:15:35 PM
Well thank you guys for all the praise to the Executive and that is enough knife for even cutting a sandwich in half etc.  ... just ordered a black one from Amaz...de as it was down to 29€   :ahhh

The missus will kill me   :facepalm:
Oh no! Hopefully she won’t notice it  :whistle:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 04:16:38 PM

Oh we still go camping and hiking, but on a more subdued level. As I got to senior citizen status, I discovered many things. Among them, wants great change. I don't low if this is due to age, medial issues, or just plain 'been there, doe that' attitude, or a combination of all three.

I know that when we were doing out very first downsize, my better half, Karen, held up my old well used Kelty backpack and sakes "Are you really going to use this again?"

I really really thought about it, and said no. I'd been backpacking most my life up to my late 40's, and something happened. I just didn't feel the need or want to go lug a pack up and down the trials again. I still love the woods and nature, but just don't feel compelled to go sleep out in them again. When you  get to an age where you crawl out of the sleeping bag, pull on boots while grunting in some boring arthritic pain, then crawling out of the little tent and then crawling over to a tree to help you straiten up, it gets less fun.

These days we go and check into the lodge, go for a hike, sign up for the afternoon horseback tour, then that evening have dinner at the lodge dinning room and then sleep in a real bed. Just easier on old bones. But even if I was still backpacking, looking back on it all, I never used much knife or tool on my trips. I wish I had read Yeager's book years sooner. With my tent/tarp and Pancho and sleeping bag and other gear, you don't really need much along. Most often used function of my SAK when I was still back packing was, slicing open the packages of Mountain House freeze dried dinners. Okay, maybe some gouda cheese and sourdough rolls in the morning. Some occasional cutting of jute twine when rigging a tarp for shelter on a mild weather outing. Heck, a lot of back packers just carry a classic.

Age and time changes a lot of things, especially attitudes. What is important to you in your 30's is less important in your 40's. By your 50's it really isn't important anymore, but maybe has become a habit. By your 60's, you break the habit because you face the fact that you've 'been there, done that," and just don't want to do that anymore. Now Karen and I go out in the woods and find a nice spot for our picnic lunch, have our binoculars and watch wildlife and nature, have a nice time, then walk back and have dinner at one our favorite restaurants. You learn to takeout a bit easier in the senior citizen years. Not because you have to, but because you now want to. The wants change. Bank on it. I used to enjoy shooting a S&W model 66 .357 magnum. Now I shoot a S&W model 63 .22 revolver. I enjoy it more since its less blast and no recoil. Things changed.

Time changes all things, including wants and attitudes.

us Offline getahl

Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 04:22:21 PM
Congratulations at finding your end state. It really takes a lifetime, doesn't it? Executives are great knives.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 05:11:55 PM
Oh no! Hopefully she won’t notice it  :whistle:

When I placed the order I was like...

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 05:27:09 PM

Time changes all things, including wants and attitudes.

That's true Carl !

In my 20s I would always pick the SwissChamp over the Climber, or the Supertool over the PST.

Over the years the experience gathered told me what I really need, and how convenient pocket carry compared to sheath carry can be.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 05:27:45 PM
The one thing that keeps me in the knife rotation is that I still have a great time trying different ones out.  I hiked a decent section of the AT with a Minichamp, and spent a week in the woods with a Climber.  At one time, I was active in a number of forums (Sorry Def!).  Now, I'm here and one other, namely because of the people.  This is a great place!  Granted, I know we're enablers  :rofl: and I've spent way more than I ever would have if I had never found our Forum, but it's sure been fun. I've met some really great people here as well!  I guess that's it more than anything else!  Besides, Mrs R is happier that I spend money here than in cigars :facepalm:Thanks

I agree with you on camping out Carl.  My back, between years of rucking an ALICE pack and even more years of a duty belt that just keeps getting heavier, doesn't appreciate sleeping in the ground anymore.  Lately, I've been on a weight reduction kick, both gear and body wise.  I just don't feel like packing 40 lbs on my back anymore.

I'm going to be doing some GAW's in the coming months.  I have some duplicates that deserve more action than I can give them right now.  Besides, I've been the recipient of a ton of kindness on here.  It's great to share the joy!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 05:28:23 PM
 :rofl: Tell me about it!!
When I placed the order I was like...

Barry

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 05:31:43 PM
Congratulations at finding your end state. It really takes a lifetime, doesn't it? Executives are great knives.

Yeah, a lifetime of accumulated experiences of life. Of course I'm a slow learner, so it took me a bit longer. I wish Had paid more attention to my dad, as he was a master of the whole minimalism thing. He seemed to just know what he needed and what he didn't need. I guess by the time I was growing up in the 1950's, dad was in his early 40's. I used to watch him with that little Case peanut and do all he needed to do with a pocket knife. If he needed a screw driver, he'd just used the Sear's 4-way keychain screw driver on his keyring. If he needed a can opener, he's have his old P-38 in his wallet. If he needed a gun, he had that old Colt Woodsman that he'd had from before the war. He was a wizard with it, marksmanship  wise.

When I was a kid, I used to wonder why all those old guys carried a small pen knife. It was typical of them, that they'd have this little two blade pocket knife the size of a Victorinox secretary or Wenger patriot. Now, as an old guy, I know why.

I think life is layered on and it takes a lifetime for some of us to figure it out. Not being the brightest bulb in the chandelier, I think it took me a bit longer than some others.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 05:55:22 PM
My back, between years of rucking an ALICE pack and even more years of a duty belt that just keeps getting heavier, doesn't appreciate sleeping in the ground anymore.  Lately, I've been on a weight reduction kick, both gear and body wise.

I'm in my sixties now and occasionally I still have to wear my duty belt. In the 40+ years of duty I have gained weight and my duty belt did so too. The belt is loaded with: pistol, spare mag, pepper spray, flashlight, handcuffs, pouch for plastic gloves, baton, multi-tool and key holder. The radio, telephone, booklet, pens, CPR mask and knife-resistant gloves, wallet and lip care are in pockets and pouches. Next year a tourniquet will be handed out. Not to mention the Taser gun that will come...

When my wife and I are on vacation we sleep in nice hotels with fine restaurants. But I still buy a SAK so now and then...  :facepalm:
These little knives are so cute!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 06:13:37 PM
The one thing that keeps me in the knife rotation is that I still have a great time trying different ones out.  I hiked a decent section of the AT with a Minichamp, and spent a week in the woods with a Climber.  At one time, I was active in a number of forums (Sorry Def!).  Now, I'm here and one other, namely because of the people.  This is a great place!  Granted, I know we're enablers  :rofl: and I've spent way more than I ever would have if I had never found our Forum, but it's sure been fun. I've met some really great people here as well!  I guess that's it more than anything else!  Besides, Mrs R is happier that I spend money here than in cigars :facepalm:Thanks

I agree with you on camping out Carl.  My back, between years of rucking an ALICE pack and even more years of a duty belt that just keeps getting heavier, doesn't appreciate sleeping in the ground anymore.  Lately, I've been on a weight reduction kick, both gear and body wise.  I just don't feel like packing 40 lbs on my back anymore.

I'm going to be doing some GAW's in the coming months.  I have some duplicates that deserve more action than I can give them right now.  Besides, I've been the recipient of a ton of kindness on here.  It's great to share the joy!

Weight reduction, thats where I got started on my road to miniaturization. As I got older, the old army injury to my right foot got worse, and a 40 pound pack just didn't make it. I went the ultra light backpacking route. Counting every ounce, cutting the paper tags off tea bags, cutting the toothbrush handle shorter, mini Bic instead of regular size Bic lighter. Going from a 4 inch fixed bade to a Vic tinker, to a Vic cadet, to a Vic pocket pal.

I went down by degrees. When I took my Vic tinker, I made it a point keep it in the pack for "emergency" and tried to just use the little Vic secretary or pocket pal. Just to see what I really could get away with. I even expereimtned with the classic, after reading the second version of Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker" where he talks about it. To my huge surprise, the classic handled it all. I was hammock camping in warm weather, and the classic cut rope, jute twine, and cut the wax castoff the gouda cheese off with efficiency. The sardines were a pull tab, so no can opener needed. The classic cut around the  circumference of the sough dough rolls enough to pull them apart and make gouda cheese sandwiches. Its was easy to see how Yeager got by with an executive in the Sierra Nevada mountains for two weeks at a time. By the very essence of back packing, you already have everything you need in your pack, so wood chopping and skinning large creatures is not needed. With no Russian paratroopers to combat while yelling 'Wolverines", its a peaceful trip. Although I still carried a small North American Arms mini revolver on the AT instead of my S&W .38 revolver. In April of 1988, I really believe that little gun saved my life.

By going that direction by degrees, it was an easier transition than just ditching the Randall 14 and going with a Vic classic. By degrees is way easier than cold turkey. We have to get that weight down as we get older.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 01:15:06 AM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20