Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpener Suggestions?

us Offline BadMechanic

Sharpener Suggestions?
on: January 26, 2020, 11:49:32 PM
Im not an expert on blades or the sharpening of such. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on user friendly options.

Im not a heavy blade user, but some of mine are starting to dull. With so many options out there, not sure exactly where to start.

Any help is appreciated.  :tu:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Re: Sharpener Suggestions?
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 11:56:52 PM
I have all kinds of sharpening gadgets and waterstones. But always return to my lansky turnbox for ease of use. I do have a sharpmaker too but prefer the round rods of the lansky to the triangle rods of the sharpmaker.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 01:17:09 AM
Look no further than the Lansky Turnbox. Reasonably priced, will sharpen all but a really dull blade and easy to use.

https://smile.amazon.com/Deluxe-Turnbox-Crock-Stick-Sharpener/dp/B005GSUBPA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Lansky+Turnbox&qid=1580084123&sr=8-4

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:26:44 AM
Ill have to check out Lansky I suppose!

Thanks guys  :cheers:

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 03:33:37 AM
Look no further than the Lansky Turnbox. Reasonably priced, will sharpen all but a really dull blade and easy to use.

https://smile.amazon.com/Deluxe-Turnbox-Crock-Stick-Sharpener/dp/B005GSUBPA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Lansky+Turnbox&qid=1580084123&sr=8-4

Yes,  this one!! 

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 04:13:07 AM
If you have trouble maintaining the proper angle while sharpening, like I do, I would recommend the DMT system with guide aligner or the Lansky system. 

Offline mikekoz

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 10:40:49 AM
If you have trouble maintaining the proper angle while sharpening, like I do, I would recommend the DMT system with guide aligner or the Lansky system.

I am also not an expert at sharpening, but this is what I use on knives that will just not get sharp. I have the Lansky 5 stone system and it works great. you can adjust the angle, and then the system keeps it there at every stroke. There are several Youtube videos that you can watch to give you guidance.  :like:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 11:34:39 AM
Two hands down for Spyderco Sharpmaker,

I think this sharpening 'system' is meant for some of the more popular brands we see nowadays(inclusive 30-40 deg), and one of the easiest systems to use and achieve consistent result.

Besides, you could even lay the stones side-by-side to mimic a flat stone, and the selection of up to 4 different stones(CBN and ultra fine ceramic are optional to buy) are easy to reprofile and even make every blade shaving sharp.

I like Lansky Turnbox too, but the choice of stone is quite limited and combination 40/50 inclusive angles are not as popular as 30/40 on the Sharpmaker.

Sharpening angle for some of the popular brands nowdays(inclusive), AFAIK:
SAK             30-40
Leatherman 32-40
Spyderco     30
Benchmade 30-35
Kershaw      40
Buck            26-32
CRK            40
Case           20-30
Opinel         40

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:21:56 PM
  I've been using the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker for several years on the same ceramic stones. Sharpens most everything save a few specialty items, but I use the ceramic stones freehand.

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 12:27:28 PM
Two hands down for Spyderco Sharpmaker,

I think this sharpening 'system' is meant for some of the more popular brands we see nowadays(inclusive 30-40 deg), and one of the easiest systems to use and achieve consistent result.

Besides, you could even lay the stones side-by-side to mimic a flat stone, and the selection of up to 4 different stones(CBN and ultra fine ceramic are optional to buy) are easy to reprofile and even make every blade shaving sharp.

I like Lansky Turnbox too, but the choice of stone is quite limited and combination 40/50 inclusive angles are not as popular as 30/40 on the Sharpmaker.

Sharpening angle for some of the popular brands nowdays(inclusive), AFAIK:
SAK             30-40
Leatherman 32-40
Spyderco     30
Benchmade 30-35
Kershaw      40
Buck            26-32
CRK            40
Case           20-30
Opinel         40

Happen to know the angle of the Spirit's Chisel, and the curved cutter? Still trying to find a way of sharpening the curved cutter. Might have to make something special for that tool.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 01:56:34 PM
  Couple of interesting sites I found.

The Best Knife Sharpeners on Amazon, According to Hyperenthusiastic Reviewers: http://nymag.com/strategist/article/best-knife-sharpener.html

SAK Home - Maintenance: https://www.sakhome.com/361164051
¬ Outback in Idaho

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 03:48:37 PM
  Happen to know the angle of the Spirit's Chisel, and the curved cutter? Still trying to find a way of sharpening the curved cutter. Might have to make something special for that tool.

Good question, I don't.  But for curved cutter, I just use the old trick of painting the edge black with marker and sharpen it free hand with the ceremic stone.  For the chisel, I would lay the stone lay on the back of the Sharpmaker and again use the marker trick to make sure I get the edge.

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:16 AM
  Sent an inquiry off to Victorinox, so will post their reply if it's anything good.

Think I found a semi-decent way with a Smith's pocket sharpener, after reading many other sites. Either lightly run the rat tail file on its thicker side slowly back and for a few times. Ceramic sharpener, run the flat side along one side, with the part to be sharpened against the other. And pull down on the sharpening side firmly. Seemed to do a decent job. ~ Could not get the exact position one-handed to take a photo.
DSC00004.JPG
* DSC00004.JPG (Filesize: 126.82 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 05:15:04 PM
Also have a look at a standard set of Paper Wheels.

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 04:04:23 PM
  Perplexed by Victorinox's reply for wanting to know the angle of the Cable Cutter on the Chisel...

Good morning, and thank you for reaching out to us about your Swiss Tool. I would like to remind you that all of our Swiss Army Knife products have a Lifetime Warranty against manufacturer’s defects. You can simply send your knife into our headquarters in Monroe, CT to be repaired, sharpened, cleaned, and oiled.
Should it be imperative that you sharpen your tool yourself I would recommend nothing other than our "dual knife sharpener" specifically made to sharpen our multi tools. For your convenience I have provided you with the link to purchase this sharpener from our website: http://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Accessories/Dual-Knife-Sharpener/p/4.3323

In order to complete this process of sending your multi tool in for repair,  please visit our website to submit a repair request. I have provided you with the link below. Fill out all the necessary information with the online form and simply ship your knife to us.
https://service.swissarmy.com/

Please note:  There is a 3-week repair turnaround time for all knives as well as a $5 processing and handling fee per knife.
Should you have any further questions please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Have a wonderful day. 

Not sending a tool in to get cleaned, sharpened, or oiled. Sheesh. :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 04:38:48 PM
  Perplexed by Victorinox's reply for wanting to know the angle of the Cable Cutter on the Chisel...

Not sending a tool in to get cleaned, sharpened, or oiled. Sheesh. :rofl:

But it only costs $5 and 3 weeks gone  :rofl:

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 06:17:38 PM
  Took them a while to get back to me on the chisel angles...
"Both blades are 45° out of the factory  - however they can be ground per customer preference based on use. "
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%