Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking of getting into building a new PC system.

Chako · 256 · 11921

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Thinking of getting into building a new PC system.
Reply #180 on: February 15, 2021, 06:34:53 AM
That looks like a very nice computer MPB!
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #181 on: February 15, 2021, 09:57:28 AM
:2tu: cool!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #182 on: March 16, 2021, 07:45:15 PM
Parts from China arrived, so that means upgrade. :mail:

Old PeeCee:

New PC time.  :ahhh :ahhh

What a mess. :facepalm:

Such a cool case to look at. :dd:

I checked, it fits inside the old case. :rofl:

Very happy with it. I didn't need the portability, but I'm in love with it. :tu:
(Aside from the cable "management" process. :facepalm: )

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #183 on: March 16, 2021, 08:28:54 PM
I did a double take once I noticed how big your SAK is.

Nice looking case.  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #184 on: March 18, 2021, 08:59:19 AM
:cheers:
Yeah, it's so small. :dd: it's been pulling at me for months, totally irresistible. I measured it up as it currently is, it takes up less than 5L (1.3 us gal) of volume.

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #185 on: March 22, 2021, 10:55:42 PM
I have just added an armed guard...

20210322_165203A by Chako, on Flickr

20210322_165216A by Chako, on Flickr

20210322_165237A by Chako, on Flickr

The best part, I have him looking at me while I am sitting at the desk.  :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:10:46 AM by Chako »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #186 on: March 23, 2021, 12:34:09 AM
Hey Chako, I had to show the kid your idea and he liked it, since he his system is all black and red I said maybe he should do the same and put a deadpool in, anyway this is what he said,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #187 on: March 23, 2021, 01:01:15 AM
Sasuke Uchiha does a good job supporting graphic cards.  :D

:salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #188 on: March 23, 2021, 08:53:16 AM
I would be creeped out by that guy looking at me. :P

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #189 on: February 21, 2022, 06:28:59 PM
I noticed a spare spot on the computer and thought it was high time I filled it. Seeing as I already have a 1/6 scale soldier sitting on my graphics card for a while now, it was time to find him a friend.

The first guy doing guard duty since March of 2021.
20220221_120906A by Chako, on Flickr

Meet the new guard...a Chinese UN blue helmet.
20220221_120900A by Chako, on Flickr

I was going to get a sniper with a Gillie suite, but figured it would be a nightmare to add all that grass to the suite mesh. This guy is super detailed, even more so than the first one, and I was doubtful if that was at all possible. Both are now standing guard duty over my PC.
20220221_121332A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #190 on: February 22, 2022, 06:06:40 AM
Pretty cool.  They are really detailed. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #191 on: December 19, 2022, 12:53:55 AM
The saga continues. I just replaced my Asus 1660 Super with an Asus KO 3060 Ti. There is nothing wrong with the older card other than it was missing a few new technologies. Noticed the prices are getting lower, and the advances of this newer card over the older one meant it was time to upgrade. Other than that, the computer build which is now 3 years old continues to go strong. Thinking of possibly upgrading my motherboard and  CPU down the road. The MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and AMD Ryzen 5 3600X is starting to get a bit long in the tooth, although there really isn't a great need to upgrade those at the moment.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #192 on: August 05, 2023, 01:06:31 AM
Looks like I am upgrading my computer system again. I was thinking of upgrading to the newer AM5 environment....but I have had a few fun runs in my research. I post this here in case anyone is thinking of upgrading their computer systems from an AM4 to an AM5 ecosystem. My journey thus far has been a bit interesting to say the least.

As mentioned above, I upgraded my GPU around last Christmas time. I wanted something that could do a little more heavy lifting in terms of games from my older Nvidia 1660 Super GPU. To be frank, I haven't noticed much of a difference between the newer Nvidia 3089 Ti to the older card. I am still playing at 1080P, but at least I can activate some of the newer Nivida feature...so that is a good thing.

Well let me preface this by saying the whole upgrade thing was driven by my need for more storage. I was perusing Amazon.ca and noticed that NVMe gen 4 drives are a lot cheaper than they were back in 2020. At the time, I was able to get a 500Gig one for my operating system...which so far has been ok. My main issue is that I tend to play PC games on STEAM. At the time, I was only able to buy a 500Gb SSD drive for my main game storage. I do have a 4Tb HD for images, etc. At the time, I didn't know much about NVMe, it was fairly new, and the prices were high. Faster than SSD and faster than the old HD rotating platter drives as well. Howeve, I have found that modern AAA game titles eat up 500Gb like  there is no tomorrow. This means I am constantly having to uninstall games for newer one. They are still on my STEAM, I just can't play but a few larger game titles at the same time. I lived with this limitation for a couple of years now, and it is getting old. As I mentioned, I saw recently that NVMe drives are a lot cheaper, and now they are gen 4 as opposed to my gen 3. I bought a Corsair gen 4 2Tb NVMe drive off of Amazon, thinking I can swap it for the 500Gb one I currently have...see...my MSI B450 Tomahawk Max only featured the one NVMe drive slot. I did a quick change only to remember that this smaller XPG one I already had was for my OS. I recalled that the STEAM games are on a 2.5" SSD drive installed inside my computer. Ah...so much for good intentions and a forgetful mind. Anyhow, that did not fix my issue, and I now have a nicer drive in its box waiting to be used...which kicked off this round of upgrading.

So the first thing I do is research everything I can. I even go as far as to stalk online forums to glean useful bits of information. First order of the day is to find out the differences between AM4 and AM5. It didn't take me long to find out that DDR5 is the only memory that AM5 uses. So much for being able to use my current DDR4 RAM modules. I also found out that AM5 processor are different to the older AM4 processors. The pins are now on the motherboard as opposed to being on the CPU. So far, I know I will need new memory and a new CPU. I already knew I was going to get a new motherboard...but what fun THAT was...foreshadowing insert here.

I then look at what can my current system do, and quickly found out that a Ryzen 7 5800x3D was the top cpu for AM4. It is very fast, and cost 430 Canadian. It would not solve my current storage issues. Besides, I don't feel that sinking that much money into a CPU on a dead end of the line system was worth it. So far, AM5 or bust!

I then looked into AMD's 3D gamer oriented CPUs. I quickly found out there is a lot of misinformation, rabid fans, and whatnot out there. It took a lot of reading and researching to find out what is what, and as far as I can tell, the extra level 2 cache that the 3D chips really helps CPU intensive games a lot. However, at the cost of general computing. You get nothing for nothing, and I found out that all of the 3D Ryzen chips are not as good at multitasking as the regular Ryzen CPUs. Ok...still a little confuse on what is what, and I haven't decided on what CPU I will land on just yet. Thus far, it might appear to be between a Ryzen 7 7800x3D, and a Ryzen 9 7900X. I am tending towards the Ryzen 9 as it has more cores, better at daily computer task, not that much slower than the 7800x3D, and it is right now cheaper than the 3D chip by 30 dollars locally. Still up in the air on what CPU I am going with at the moment though. I haven't purchased on as of yet. By the way, when AMD used an "x" on the end of the chipset, that means it is a bit faster than the regular non x variant out of the box.

Early in my research, I came across several references that you can use a cpu cooler from an AM4 system on the newer AM5 system...so I didn't think anything of it...that is until I noticed during the fun of looking at motherboards. I noticed that the AM5 system has a back metal plate. Sure enough, when I looked into my liquid cooling set up, I would have to purchase an AM5 mounting bracket. I just ordered that today off of Amazon. That was a got cha for me that blind sided me despite all of my research.

Now onto motherboards...and what a mess it is.For the AM5 family, there are no less than 4 motherboard chipsets to contend with. There is the lowest end B650, the higher b650E (e = extreme...I kid you not). Then there is the higher x670, and the top end x670E motherboards. This is what through me for a loop. After a ton of reading and trying to comprehend, the big difference is support the NVMe gen 5 drives and GPU x16 slot(s).  From what I know, the biggest baddest and stupidly expensive GPUs are only gen 4 thus far. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think there are a few gen 5 NVMe drives out right now, but they are very expensive. So to my thinking, any support for Gen 5 is supposedly to future proof yourself. Ok...that I can understand. Now this is what got me. It is up to the manufacturer to support what they want on their chipsets. So you can have a lower chipset such as the B models having support for a single gen 5 NVMe drive. The B650 boards mostly do not support gen 5 anything. The extreme variants tend to give you more support for the most part. At this point in time, not sure if gen 5 is important. But that could change in a couple of years.

What surprised me more is the price of AM5 motherboards. Everytime I saw a nicely priced motherboard, it tended to be for Intel. After much digging, I found that DDR5 is more expensive to implement along with gen 5 drive and GPU stuff. Most of the higher end boards tend to give you top end 8 layer motherboards that is a requirement to isolate signals for these faster things. So the price of AM5 motherboards are steeper compared to Intel at the moment.

I also noticed that most of these boards now offer 2-8 pin CPU power. I looked at my Thermaltake 750W power supply and only found it supports 1-8 pin power plug (2-4s as the older format was a single 4 pin). Now we are up to 16 pins...wow. I tore the internet apart trying to find out information on this, and it was confusing. I eventually ended up buying a newer power supply that supports this newer motherboard powering norm. This should come in tomorrow...my first computer part for this new build. I did eventually find, after reading some motherboard manuals via PDF that you only need the 1 to power your system...unless you plan on overclocking or you get one of the higher end more power hungry cpus. General consensus is you can get away with 1-8pin, but if you have both, use them as it ensures more even power distribution. I found this out only after buying the new power supply...but at least the new one is covered in terms of having more cable options, and it is an 850W supply...so a nice upgrade to what I currently have, despite my thinking I wouldn't have to upgrade it in the first place.

I wanted something a bit different, and thought a white build might be different enough. This limited my motherboard choices which I think is a good thing as there are too many options that span the 4 chipset variants. The prices are confusing as well, as sometimes, the b650 boards were more expensive than the x670 boards. If you want to go down a rabbit hole, try researching a new AM5 motherboard. I ended up buying an Asrock x760E Steel Legend. I could not find this board on Amazon.ca, so I ended up buying off of Newegg.ca. Just waiting for it to grace my door whenever it comes in.

The will be my first Asrock motherboard. I found out that Asus is having some major issues with their Bios. Folks having booting issues, etc. This is not just with Asus, as a lot of early adopters were having the same issues. I am hoping by now that there are fixes implemented. My online research hasn't found much more recent online complaining. Also, there was an issue with EXPO enabled overclocking of memory damaging cpu and motherboards...as in heating enough to start a fire. New Bios roll outs have neutered AMD EXPO settings from what others have mentioned. As far as I know, maybe this is not an issue anymore and they fixed it. As I don't overclock, I hope this will not be an issue with my build.

After buying the Asrock X670E Steel Legend, I noticed that the motherboard sound only has a mic in, a line out, and an optical. Ummm...how do you hook up a 5.1 system? Once again I researched and a whole lot of confusion once again. I eventually decided to read the PDF instruction manual and I am good. It appears you have to plug one of your cables into the front sound port of your case. A bit odd, but it should work. This after I started looking at sound cards. I was thinking...do I need to buy one in this day and age? Glad I found out the answer before buying a new sound card.

So far, I have the motherboard and power supply figured out and bought. Now researching memory modules and CPU...but I think I might have the CPU figured out at the moment. Now I just have to look at the QVI list to make sure the memory I buy will work with the motherboard. I find it interesting that you can get insane memory on the AM5 as DDR 5 support up so 128Gb of RAM. I thought I was doing well with 8-8Gb RAM modules. I am thinking 2-32Gb modules even though 32Gb is overkill for the most part.

So there you have it. My usual research to death, and sometimes get blind sided by things you don't think to look up. I am trying to eliminate that build where you have everything and something rears its ugly head and prevents you from continuing...looking at you CPU water cooling AM5 bracket.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #193 on: August 05, 2023, 01:15:30 AM
Forgot to mention I upgraded my motherboard recently. I was using a SteelSeries Apex 3 TKL motherboard. My main issue, there is a small Caps lock indicator but I could not see it activated because it was hiding behind one of the keys. I decided to buy an Epomaker TH80 Pro mechanical keyboard with Gateron Yellow Pro linear switches. I absolutely love how this keyboard sounds and feels. My only issue, I tend to do a lot of gaming in a dark room...and I miss seeing the key labels shine through on the RGB. I think down the road, I just might buy some shine through keycaps to fix this issue.

20230729_171525A by Chako, on Flickr

20230729_171544A by Chako, on Flickr

20230729_171610A by Chako, on Flickr

20230729_171653A by Chako, on Flickr

20230729_171832A by Chako, on Flickr

20230729_171838A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #194 on: August 05, 2023, 10:41:25 PM
Just checked with the QVL list for the motherboard and decide to get G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 2x16Gb DDR5 RAM modules. These have a rating of 6000 CL30-40-40-96. My first time going with G.Skill anything. Should be interesting. Just waiting on the motherboard to arrive, the CPU cooler adaptor, and the memory. I am thinking I might buy the cpu locally...and still struggling with the CPU options. The Ryzen 7 7800x3D is 30 dollars more expensive, but really boost some games due to the massive amount of cache onboard. The higher level Ryzen  9 7900X has more cores and is 3 dollars cheaper, but runs hotter overall, is better at productivity stuff. Pros and Cons all around. This one is giving me a headache at the moment. I figure I should have this last piece of the puzzle figured out by next paycheck. Hopefully everything will come together before August ends.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #195 on: August 05, 2023, 11:45:55 PM
Just got in the new power supply. Thankfully it is the right model. I had to call Amazon.ca as I originally wanted a white PSU but found out later that night that the white was only 600W and not this one that I was eyeing. That and I wanted something with twin 8 pin CPU cables.

20230805_164257A by Chako, on Flickr

First time I bought a power supply that came with a jumper tool to test it out before building your system.

20230805_164453A by Chako, on Flickr

Opening the box.

20230805_164512A by Chako, on Flickr

It comes with a cheesy sticker sheet.

20230805_164524A by Chako, on Flickr

The manual appears nice.

20230805_164606A by Chako, on Flickr

20230805_164633A by Chako, on Flickr

20230805_164648A by Chako, on Flickr

Digging further.

20230805_164717A by Chako, on Flickr

The back of the psu with all of the modular hookups.

20230805_164835A by Chako, on Flickr

The side.

20230805_164846A by Chako, on Flickr

The back with a smart fan control button and one for the built in RGB.

20230805_164857A by Chako, on Flickr

The glowy fan part.

20230805_164910A by Chako, on Flickr

A lot of cables come with this unit.

20230805_165003A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #196 on: August 05, 2023, 11:53:02 PM
I also got the Thermalright red AMD secure frame for the Ryzen AM5 series. This replaces the spring loaded version that some on motherboards. The nice thing about this is it will protect your CPU from thermal past leaking down the sides and contaminating the low pards of the AM5 cpu.

20230805_165003A by Chako, on Flickr

20230805_165107A by Chako, on Flickr

It comes with some Thermalright paste.

20230805_165122A by Chako, on Flickr

Instructions, the thermal paste, the bracket, some screws, and a tool to remove the spring loaded bracket and install this one comes in the box.

20230805_165154A by Chako, on Flickr

AM5 Ryzen processors are weirdly shaped. Here is a closer look at the bracket.

20230805_165208A by Chako, on Flickr

20230805_165216A by Chako, on Flickr

A video about the product.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #197 on: August 06, 2023, 04:53:53 AM
Nice bit of upgrading :woohoo: I built a system last year and went the Ryzen path for my processor :cheers: I used one of the ones with the built in grap[hics until I found the exact GPU that I wanted :salute: still haven't gotten a GPU as I don't game as much these days :whistle: :facepalm: :rofl: but I am happy with the new system and learned many of the things you have learnt with new systems as well :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #198 on: August 06, 2023, 03:15:15 PM
There is always a lot to learn.  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #199 on: August 06, 2023, 04:18:45 PM
So much new comes out yearly that it is hard to keep up if you are only doing it as a hobby :ahhh

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #200 on: August 06, 2023, 09:29:43 PM
For the processor, if budget allows, the 7900X3D?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #201 on: August 08, 2023, 10:55:15 PM
Paired with my 3060ti...and I only play at 1080P...overkill. That and you have to approach this sensibly. You can spend a lot of money and not really get that much of a performance boost. There is a lot to think about...

Still not sure. It would appear they are all good at games including the lowly Ryzen 5 6600. What I have read however, is that the non X parts run a lot cooler for a little les performance. I am eyeing the 7900, 7900x, and the 7800x3D at the moment, but I might go lower as I really don't see much difference for the increased cost. Hard to get past all the fluff. Hard to get real world benchmarks for a comparison. A lot of benchmarks are made with a 4090, etc...lol. If I could afford one of these, I would just guy the biggest and baddest...but I am far too sensible for that.

Currently waiting on delivery of the motherboard today.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #202 on: August 09, 2023, 12:57:59 AM
The motherboard finally arrived having waited from 9:30 am when the computer told me it was out for delivery up to 5:40 pm when it arrived.

20230808_175603A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_175718A by Chako, on Flickr

This is going to be my first not completely black motherboard. I find it ironic that this Asrock Steel Legend is sporting a winter camo pattern, and my current motherboard is an MSI B450 Max Tomahawk. Looks like the military theme shall continue...

First opening of the box.

20230808_175845A by Chako, on Flickr

I have never seen this before. Usually, the motherboards I get come in a cardboard box inside a anti-static plastic bag. This one some in the bag, but it is also zip tied to a foam tray.

20230808_175945A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_180031A by Chako, on Flickr

I think the Steel Legend logo lights up as well at the edges of this heatsink with RGB lights.

20230808_180040A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_180053A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_180106A by Chako, on Flickr

The back I/O plate has a lot of stuff here.

20230808_180321A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_181301A by Chako, on Flickr

Under this heatsink is support for a gen 5 NVMe.

20230808_180429A by Chako, on Flickr

The heatsinks look like they are getting bigger on the AM5 platform.

20230808_180504A by Chako, on Flickr

Under the motherboard tray is a divider that contains a few essential items, and a few not so essential items as well.

20230808_180613A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_180729A by Chako, on Flickr

An honest to goodness real manual in paper format. I cannot tell you how during my research, most of the manuals are not digital. Call me old school but I still prefer a paper copy.

20230808_180908A by Chako, on Flickr

A post card is also included. I guess this is a cheap way to advertize but I haven't seen or used one of these in decade or more.

20230808_180923A by Chako, on Flickr

20230808_180937A by Chako, on Flickr

Included are 3 NVMe drive screws, and a small riser for possibly another drive. This board supports 1 gen 5 and 3 gen 4 drives.

20230808_181011A by Chako, on Flickr

Included is this key cap.

20230808_181046A by Chako, on Flickr

Also included is a neat GPU support bracket, a WiFi antennae, 2 cable organizers, and 1 or 2 SATA cables.

20230808_181130A by Chako, on Flickr

That is the quick tour of the Asrock X670E Steel Legend motherboard. I ordered the memory from Newegg, and that should start to ship my way soon. All I now need is the CPU, and that is a tough one. I am trying to find the sweet spot between price and performance, and the AM5 CPUs are confusing enough. Do I go with the X3d chipset. Do I go for the non X variants because they would be a lot cheaper to run over its lifetime as they consume less electricity. Would I notice a big different between different models when using them with a 3060 Ti. So many questions. I will have to make a choice soon.

Thanks Millhouse for the suggestion.  :hatsoff:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #203 on: August 09, 2023, 01:54:17 PM
CPU thoughts.

Complicated it would appear. I am going to post my findings and general thoughts as I try to wrap my head around this.

1. There are 2 lines of AM5 CPUs, as with every AMD release. You get the X and the non X version. The X version is always the first to be released as it is always the more expensive and faster version. However, this time, the X versions are running supper hot with greater power requirements, and cooling.

2. There are 3 levels of AMD CPUs based on number of cores and threads, There is the entry level Ryzen 5, the middle Ryzen 7, and the higher end Ryzen 9. This is important when looking at productivity. However, it is the opposite for gaming where the lower end chips tend to do very well. In fact, there is not much difference between the Ryzen 5 6700(x), the Ryzen 7 7700(x), and the Ryzen 9 7900(x) in terms for gaming. Any differences are largely not noticeable in real life. This is because games traditionally tend to prefer a single core over multiple cores. This is changing, but even low end AMD CPUs have 6 cores which is more than enough for modern gaming. More cores are an advantage to productivity stuff though.

3. AMD now has a higher cache X3d lineup for gamers. Currently there are 4 in this family, with one being for the older AM4 platform.

4. Currently, pricing is a mess. There are sales going on right now, but in general, you can expect a 100 dollar increase between the lineup from X to X models...and the same for non X to non X models. There is quite often, not much difference between the X and non X version of the processor...which muddies the selection process, at least for me. The X3D parts command a premium...and I am left wondering why. More on this later.

5. Currently as of today on Newegg.ca here are the price listings.

Ryzen 5 7600 $299
Ryzen 5 7600x $319
Ryzen 7 7700 $399
Ryzen 7 7700x $439
Ryzen 7 7800x3d $579
Ryzen 9 7900 $499
Ryzen 9 7900x $549
Ryzen 9 7900x3d $ 709
Ryzen 9 7950x $769
Ryzen 9 7950x3d $889

Ok with all of that out of the way, it simply isn't just buying the most expensive part you can afford and be done with it. Because I use my computer for mostly gaming and with a bit of productivity, things appear to be a bit confusing. The Ryzen 5 3600X at the time of purchase was the best bang for your buck back in 2020. I will have to figure out the same here, albeit a bit more complicated.

From my perspective, I have 2 routes. I can go with the X series and deal with a lot of heat, albeit less than the Intel CPUs pump out. Or I can go the ecological route and go for a non X CPU which runs a lot cooler and runs about 3 to 5 % slower. I doubt I could see the difference of a 3 to 5 % difference...and I definitely like the idea of running a more efficient and cooler chip Not only do I save on the running cost for the lifetime of the CPU, but I also like to hear quieter fans for the most part. I can get all of this for only a slight decrease in performance...sign me up.  Thus far, I have just eliminated all of the "Performance X chips" from my list.

I am not all that sold on the x3D CPUs also. I know they are getting great gaming scores...but only on certain titles, and only on those that require a lot of fast L3 Cache access. You pay for this performance as well, and to be honest, and I am looking at real world performance here, and not numbers on some graph, I seriously doubt I would notice the difference either. I am only playing on 1080p with a 3060Ti. So long as my games aren't lagging, I could care less about playing with higher frame rates as I won't see the difference. It isn't like I am a professional gamer playing eSports. My eyes aren't that good, and my reflexes aren't that good either. Besides, I currently don't see any issues with my current rig which comprised a Ryzen 5 3600X with the 3060Ti. All of my games are running beautifully. The reason why I am upgrading is to get more NVMe drives as I bought a nice 2Tb Corsair gen 4 drive, and my current MSI B450 Tomahawk max only supports the 1 drive, and I am looking to get away from the 2.5" slower SSD drives this time around.

So I think I can safely remove the x3D chips from my list. The price to performance is something I am not needing right now.

Which leads me to the non X and non x3d CPUs. This is where the tough decision is going to happen. I can save a lot of money and go with the lower end Ryzen 5 7600 ($299) pay midway for a Ryzen 7 7700 ($399), or a little more for the Ryzen 9 7900 ($499). Seeing that all are very similar when it comes to games, anyone of these will do. With productivity, the higher the chip, the faster it is for those applications for the most part. I just have to figure out if a 200 price increase is worth it for the 9 over the 5. Currently I have a Ryzen 5 and thought going up to a 7 or a 9 might be a good thing just because in my mind, that would be a meaningful upgrade to what I already have...and this is where I clash with my sensible and practical side. For games, they are all good, and any of these will be a big upgrade to my current processor. Yes, the struggle is real, and I haven't made a decision yet. When it comes to CPUs it is never a question of can I afford it...but more a question of what would better meet my needs. You can throw a lot of good money after bad. I just have to decide if the 7 or 9 is better than the 5.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 02:33:44 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #204 on: August 09, 2023, 05:32:27 PM
Whew..that was a tough one. I ended up ordering a Ryzen 7 7700. Middle of the road compromise seeing that this chip beats out the 9 7900 in some games because that cpu is divided into 2-6 core chiplets. Games mostly like smaller core counts, and the 7700 has 8 on only one chiplete...if that makes sense.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #205 on: August 09, 2023, 07:20:03 PM
Looks like a great motherboard  :cheers:  :like:

I think that you made a good choice in the processor as well :tu:

M.2 is probably my favorite new tech that has came out of the last several years but I don't know the difference between the different generations  :dunno: :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #206 on: August 10, 2023, 01:22:12 AM
Likewise. All I know is that each generation gets faster.  :D

Got another hiccup. I received my memory modules today and was very happy at how they looked. I just broke the seal on the box, slid out the interior clamshell type plastic sleeve to get a nice look at them. Then I looked at the box and  :think:...oops.

It only said it supported Intel with no AMD EXPO support. I rechecked the web site that I got the information that told me this would work. I then got a sneaky notion, and decided to do something I should have done, and that is to visit G.Skill. They have a supported RAM page where you type in your motherboard and it tells you wish RAM to buy. Sure enough, this RAM was not on G.Skills support list for my motherboard...and I was positive I checked the QVL list a couple of times. I guess that web site led me astray and I must have crossed my eyes while looking at the long QVL. Long story short, I had to call Newegg.ca and they gave me a return number. I just sent them back tonight, and once they receive them, i will get a refund.

I made triple sure this time that I followed the RAM list from G.Skill for my motherboard and bought another set of modules from Newegg. These will support AMD EXPO and are a bit faster than the other set for around the same price., This is a DDR5 6000 2x16gb kit with CL30-38-38-96 timings. Unfortunately, for my motherboard, no white/black memory modules appear to be correct. So much for those nice colour co-ordinating RAM modules. These new ones are black with RGB.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:50:21 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #207 on: August 10, 2023, 09:39:31 PM
Here is the memory I had to send back to Newegg due to getting the wrong RAM modules. These are for the Intel system and did not show up on the very small list of G.Skill RAM modules that tested good for the Asrock X670E Steel Legend motherboard. The new RAM modules will look like these but unfortunately will be all black instead of this black and silver colour way.

The dead giveway that I noticed only after breaking the seal to get a closer look at the memory modules is that Intel XMP Ready on the front box.  No AMD EXPO Ready markings .

20230809_143410A by Chako, on Flickr

20230809_143426A by Chako, on Flickr

So this is where I made my mistake...but I did learn from my mistake. The codes on memory modules usually tell you what you are getting. However, I only learned afterwards that the last 5 digits are very important. A code of TZ5RS denotes intel DDR5 RAM, and a code of TZ5NR is for those that work with AMD. Every manufacturer has their own code system...but if you are looking for G.Skill RAM, this is an important quick ID to separate them based on CPU manufacturer. Technically, its all DDR5 and should run on all systems, but RAM stability is highly impacted by your motherboard and it is safer to go with something tried and tested. I did hear that AMD AM5 systems are a bit finacky on its DDR5 modules. I hope the new ones will work perfectly. The newer modules are a tad faster with a CL30-38-38-96 rating.

20230809_143455A by Chako, on Flickr

I really liked the 2 tone of these RAM modules. It was not meant to be.

20230809_143551A by Chako, on Flickr

20230809_143609A by Chako, on Flickr

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #208 on: August 10, 2023, 10:01:04 PM
Today was an exciting day...I got my CPU in. It is interesting that the non X variants come with cooling but the X versions do not. I can see why seeing that the X variants run hot and these default coolers might not do the job. I won't be using this as I am still waiting for a AM5 kit for the Deepcool Castle 360 RGB All in One (AIO) water cooler setup.

20230810_150525A by Chako, on Flickr

20230810_150555A by Chako, on Flickr

Front of the box shows the processor through a little window.

20230810_150612A by Chako, on Flickr

20230810_150629A by Chako, on Flickr

Opening the box, you are greeted with 2 boxes. One has the CPU inside along with a little sticker, and the other contains the AMD Wraith cooler. It looks well made.

20230810_150822A by Chako, on Flickr

The included Wraith Prism cooler comes with 2 cables. One is an RGB 4 pin, and the other is a USB cable. I guess if you hook up the RGB you can only control the fan colours. The USB also controls the AMD logo and fan ring...as well as the fan RGB...or so I read online.

20230810_151016A by Chako, on Flickr

The bottom of the cooler comes already pre-pasted with these little dots.

20230810_151050A by Chako, on Flickr

I guess Cooler master makes the cooler. It does look like it would be ok if that is all you have. Some of the other air coolers dwarf this one and look a bit ridiculous. Better to go water cooling in my opinion.

20230810_151117A by Chako, on Flickr

As for the processor, here it is in its protective packaging. Sticker included.

20230810_151310A by Chako, on Flickr

For the AM5 Ryzen 7000 series, the motherboard now has the pins as opposed to the CPU.

20230810_151323A by Chako, on Flickr

And that is about it. Thus far, I have the power supply, the motherboard, the CPU retention plate to replace the spring loaded one that comes with all AMD specific motherboards, and the CPU. Had the memory, resent it and am waiting on the new modules to come in. Still waiting on the Deepcool Castle AM5 upgraded mounting kit so that I can use the water cooler on the new platform, and a few RGB cables that I have been curious for years...such as the motherboard power cable and those for the GPU.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #209 on: August 11, 2023, 07:19:56 PM
That was fast. Just got the right memory modules in.

20230811_130824A by Chako, on Flickr

Slightly faster timings...still wish these had that black and silver look though.

20230811_130837A by Chako, on Flickr

20230811_130948A by Chako, on Flickr

20230811_131003A by Chako, on Flickr

So far, everything i ordered off of Newegg has come in quick. Rather surprised that this is the first time I bought stuff off of them.

with that said, I do have a few items from Amazon.ca that will postpone this build until I get them in.

1. Deepcool Castle 360 AM5 adaptor kit. I was toying with buying a new 360 AIO cooler as I could get a new one in before this adaptor kit comes in. But I do like my current cooler.

2. XPG Prime RGB motherboard power cable and graphic card power cable.

3. If I was going to buy a new cpu cooler, I would have wanted something with a screen that gives system information. Well I found this add on screen that plugs into a USB 2 port that will do the job. Better yet, you can double tape it to your existing cooler, or they give a separate bracket that allows you to put it somewhere else. I hope to use the bracket.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0C1DC9XB3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 07:38:49 PM by Chako »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68