Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thinking of getting into building a new PC system.

Chako · 256 · 11746

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Thinking of getting into building a new PC system.
Reply #60 on: February 13, 2020, 01:30:14 PM
Lol. I thought I may not need a Wifi adapter, but came to the conclusion that I may not want a blue Cat5 cable climbing my walls among other things. I bought a Wifi 6 adapter that should hopefully be backwards compatible to my slower AC1200 router. This means I may be tempted to upgrade the router down the road to a Wifi 6 one.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: February 13, 2020, 02:01:45 PM
Just purchased  Windows 10 Pro with USB drive online. This way, I do not have to worry about my first PC running Win 10 Home and trying to share that with the new PC...if I can. I was strongly tempted to buy the one with the CD Rom, but this new computer will not have a CD Rom. I guess I could have used the portable drive I bought for work...but the USB drive should prove to be better and more convenient. Now THAT should be the last piece...I hope.  :think:

The Home and Pro versions are the same price. Might as well go up a version for the added security.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #62 on: February 13, 2020, 02:05:42 PM
:tu:
Can you buy windows secondhand? :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: February 13, 2020, 03:21:49 PM
I doubt it. My current Win 10 was a free upgrade from my Win 8 operating system. I had issues with updating Win 10 in the past. My new OS should be here next Wednesday.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #64 on: February 14, 2020, 04:39:26 AM
I have a copy on USB myself :cheers: Apparently Win10 is so big now it won't go onto a regular DVD (well the version I got anyways :shrug::facepalm: :rofl:

The copy I have is from a couple updates ago and when I had to reinstall recently after an ssd failure, I had to update quite a bit to get back to where I was before the crash :ahhh I of course was installing it on my same computer so I had the same register # :salute:

Good luck with the whole build and install :cheers:

:popcorn:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: February 14, 2020, 05:44:42 AM
Mid next week should see all but the network card arrive.

I am no longer with Photobucket. I was on a paid account, but they saw fit to downgrade me to a non paying account with ads and all. They emailed me to get me back on board. However, they have offered me a new 5 dollar for 3 months subscription which bounces back to full price after the aloted time. Oddly enough, they failed to inform me the details of this new subscription, or how much the regular subscription is, let alone how much space is now allocated. Not sure why Photobucket changed things on me, but what they did removed any shred of trust I had in the service. I think I should find another photo host for forum posting.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 01:56:26 AM
Ok, today, two packages awaited my return home. I now have the M.2 NVME drive, my Win 10 Pro OS, and the WiFi 6 PCIe adapter card. Just waiting for the wireless keyboard and the CPU cooler, and those should come in next Tuesday.

The M.2 drive is hilariously small. I looked at the connection point on the motherboard...but never really clued into the small form-factor until I had the drive in my hands. Down the road will be a WiFi 6 router to grace this PC card.

The CPU cooler is holding me up...and that is too bad in a way. This Monday is Family Day, meaning I get an extra long weekend. This Monday would have been the perfect day to do the build.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 02:49:47 AM
I'm always about 3 years behind when I build computers for myself. I'm really interested in how that M.2 drive works for you. 

:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 07:44:31 PM
Same here.

Here is a re-list of the parts.

1. AMD Ryzen 3600x CPU
2. MSI Tomahawk Max B450 motherboard
3. Thermaltake P3 computer case
4. Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W RGB power supply
5. ADATA XPG M.2 NVME 500Gb RGB
6. ADATA XPG D60G 2x8Gb DDR4 3200MHz RGB modules
7. Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb SATA 2.5"
8. Seagate Barracuda 4Tb 3.5" HD
9. DeepCool Castle 360 V.2 RGB AIO CPU cooler
10. TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 PCIe adaptor card
11. Dierya 60% wireless RGB keyboard
12. Windows 10 Pro USB edition
13. Razer Chroma hardtop Firefly mouse mat
14. VESA fixed wall mount

What I may need in the future:
1. A WiFi 6 router. The TP- Link AX3000 router looks good so far
2. Might be time to replace my 24" HP monitor with something larger and curved

Still waiting on the keyboard and CPU cooler.

This time around I tried to get as many glowing parts as I could. I plan on wall hanging the computer if I can. There is an LED strip on the back edge of the motherboard. The power supply will have its own lighted fan not controlled by the motherboard software. The RAM and M.2 drive will glow controlled by the motherboard. The CPU controller will have 3 120mm lighted fans controlled by the motherboard. Once built...this computer will put on a nice light show.

:salute:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:53:51 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:47 PM
Got the last parts in. The DeepCool Castle 360 V2 looks cool  The dierya keyboard is nicer in person than any photo can give it justice.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 08:40:00 PM
That's a nice setup  :cheers:  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:03 AM
Thanks. Started the build today. I have most everything installed minus the cabling. That will have to wait for another day.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: February 18, 2020, 05:54:35 AM
 :worthless:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: February 18, 2020, 06:23:38 AM
No longer using Photobucket. Just created a Flickr account.

Here is the back of the Thermaltake P3 case open and showing the two hidden drive bays.

IMG_8204small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Here is the tiny M.2 NVME drive installed.

IMG_8207small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Here is the MSI Tomahawk B450 Max motherboard with M.2 drive installed.

IMG_8206small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

The DeepCool Castle AIO cooler came in today.

IMG_8213small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Here we have the two rear drives installed. A Seagate Barracuda 4Tb drive along with a Samsung 500Gb SSD.

IMG_8216small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

A pair of XPG DDR4 8Gb 3200MHz modules.

IMG_8208small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Got the motherboard installed onto the rear panel. Also installed the Ryzen 3600X CPU.

IMG_8217small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

IMG_8218small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Installed the rear expansion support, the power supply, and the CPU cooler. I installed the feet to make building the computer easier. My plan is to eventually remove them and hang the whole unit off of a VESA mount. I bought a fixed one good for 68 pounds.The power supply hangs there via 2 brackets.

IMG_8219small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

IMG_8222small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

Here is the graphics card installed, a 1660 Super. I could have used a bracket included with the kit along with an extension cable to move the graphics card to the front facing forward...but I also want to install a network card. Doing that would have involved buying more extension cables for the PCIe x 1 slots...if they make them.

IMG_8223small by Daniel Sauve, on Flickr

That is where I stopped the build for today.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 06:39:50 AM by Chako »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: February 18, 2020, 01:03:29 PM
Looking awesome :ahhh great list of parts as well :o  :like:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 01:55:14 PM
...for a moment there I thought I was looking under the bonnet of a Ferrari  8)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 02:56:11 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: February 19, 2020, 02:33:45 AM
I must say, things are looking good so far. I did not get the chance to plug and wire everything in yet. I was examining my old post dating back to 2013 in regards to my current computer and came across a posting where I was drooling over a Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition case...this one

https://www.newegg.ca/black-black-white-thermaltake-level-10-gt-snow-edition-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811133192

I had forgotten about that...but it just highlighted to me how I like the odd looking cases. Probably why I fell in love with the Thermaltake P3.

https://www.thermaltake.com/core-p3-tempered-glass-red-edition.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: February 21, 2020, 03:08:31 AM
Had a bit of time tonight so I started to wire everything in. Had to stop when it came to the RGB stuff as I need to study the instructions more that came with the DeepCool water cooler. I do know the Tomahawk Max has 2 RGB headers on the motherboard. I need to figure out the best placement for all the wires. With that said, I have most of everything else now wired in.

An RGB GPU support bracket came in today along with a PCIex4 adapter that will accept another M.2 NVME drive. The bracket did not come to the minimum of 35 dollars to qualify for free shipping. The same vendor had a cute little adapter card that would allow me a second drive using my free expansion slot. Factoring the removal of the shipping cost, this adapter only cost me 10 dollars. Down the road, I might add another drive to the system.

Here is most of the wiring. I also added the tempered glass supports on each corner of the case.

IMG_8226A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8227A by Chako, on Flickr

A close up look of that support bracket. I am certain I didn't need it...but I couldn't resist the chance to throw more RGB onto the build. I do have under it, that WiFi 6 card that will also give me Bluetooth. There is a magnetic based antennae that attaches to the WiFi card that I attached at the top of the unit for these photos.

IMG_8228A by Chako, on Flickr

I think the design on the support bracket compliments the graphic card.

IMG_8229A by Chako, on Flickr

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: February 21, 2020, 11:56:30 PM
Looking great so far  8) :like:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: February 22, 2020, 01:06:14 AM
I can't wait to see if everything will be operational. Going to do the final wiring tomorrow morning.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: February 22, 2020, 07:20:55 AM
Ok...after looking very closely at the RGB set up on the DeepCool cooler and the GPU bracket, and what is offered on the motherboard, I have come to the conclusion that I neglected the whole RGB issue. From what I can see and tell, RGB on computers are a mess. I assumed that everything was a standard, but I couldn't be further from the truth. I figured that if the item was MSI Mystic Light compatible, that all was good. I was wrong. Apparently, the two RGB hookups on the MSI Tomahawk Max motherboard are 12V 4 pin RGB hookups designed for light strips. The Set up that came with the DeepCool cooler is 3 pin Corsair type addressable RGB. The GPU bracket is another type of 3 pin addressable RGB set up. Now, the DeepCool comes with an adapter that allows me to get power via a SATA connector, and comes with a small inline remote to control the RGB. Disappointed that I won't be able to control everything via the MSI software. I will have to go this route because the other two adapters are for the two types of 3 pin addressable RGB headers. My board only supports the 12V non-addressable RGB 4 pin setup. :facepalm:

Looks like I won;t be able to power the GPU bracket because it is a different 3 pin setup from that used on the CPU cooler.

Looks like there are too many holes for the unwary to fall into when it comes to RGB stuff. I am tempted to remove that GPU bracket as my reason to get it was to add more lighted components to the build. Looks like I will have to use the built in remote to control the DeepCool RGB system. So much for keeping things simple.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: February 22, 2020, 02:20:17 PM
 :oops: :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #83 on: February 22, 2020, 02:26:57 PM
At least the computer will be just as fast without RGB. :think: Right? .... right?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: February 22, 2020, 03:28:15 PM
Not sure, I do believe red is always faster.  :rofl:

The good news, no sparks, bangs, and puffs of smoke when first turned on.

Just installed Win10 on the computer, but have run into a bit of an issue. I know I should have brought my portable DVD player from work. I am right now downloading the TP Link WiFi 6 drivers onto a USB stick and will attempt to transfer said drivers to the new computer. Right now, I do now have any internet and that is causing me a bit of an issue.  :D

Also noted, the RGB on the CPU Cooler is not operating right now. Not sure if I wired that in wrong, or what is going on. Will look into that after I get the OS up and running.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: February 22, 2020, 05:14:06 PM
I am rusty as all get out. I could only see the one drive, and not the others. I went online and quickly found out that I had to get into disk manager and initialize them. That was a 2 minute stumper that got fixed right quick.  :facepalm:

Win 10 installed with no issues after installing the Wifi drivers via USB, and I finally figured out why I wasn't getting any RGB on the CPU cooler. I rechecked all of my connections, and sure enough, one of the RGB fan connectors was sitting on only 2 of the 3 pins. That one had me going around in circles for a good half hour, thinking that the remote was defective. Now it works.

Those XPG Dimms and M.2 drive sure are pretty.

IMG_8230A by Chako, on Flickr

You can see the graphics cards has a line of RGB goodness. I was surprised it actually shifts colours much like the two XPG items. The power supply also has a bit of RGB, and that is controlled via a rear button that scrolls through all the different settings. I have this one going rainbow colour shifts so that it has the same general vibe as the other gear.

IMG_8232A by Chako, on Flickr

Finally got the DeepCool running RGB wise. A bit disappointed that it won't sync with the motherboard software, but I also have this going on colour shifts so everything sort of makes a general theme. Overall, looking good.

IMG_8234A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8236A by Chako, on Flickr

Now all that is left to do is continue adding software to this build...which will necessitate getting that blueray DVD portable drive from work. I might  have to keep it here for future DVD installs, and stuff. I thought I might get away without one, but I still have important software that comes that way such as my Office suite (I hate office 365 that we use at work), and Corel PhotoPaint 2020 copy,  After that, I will have to install the back plate, the front tempered glass panel, and install the VESA wall mount.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: February 22, 2020, 05:23:55 PM
I am so happy at the moment. Despite a few hiccups towards the end, it went fairly smooth. The hardest part of this build was figuring out the RGB landscape. I spent a few hours trying to figure out where to put the fan power module, RGB module, and the attached inline control module. Trying to make all that cabling look ok was a challenge.

I might also add that figuring out the + and - on the front panel hookups was an issue on the P3 case. MSI gave excellent instructions on where to hook up the power button, reset button, HD lights, etc. However, Thermaltake failed somewhat in not clearly marking which was the positive and negative on some of the connectors. This was made all the more difficult when Thermaltake decided to use the same wire colour for both. Some connectors were properly marked...and others, was a guess. I did ok as I only had to do this once...but it did take more time then I was used to  in past builds.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:29:00 PM by Chako »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: February 25, 2020, 03:07:03 PM
Looks great! Hope this system runs smoothly for years to come :salute: :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:00 PM
I hope so. At least I was able to upgrade Win 10 with no issues unlike my older system.

Still trying to figure out where on the wall it will go.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #89 on: February 26, 2020, 08:52:06 AM
dunno how it is for you, but I love the hell out of the speed off my NVMe drive...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%