Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Hideout/Holdout/Stealth Carry SAK

nate j · 22 · 1404

Poll

What SAK is best for low profile carry?

Classic
Alox Bantam
Money Clip
Other

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Best Hideout/Holdout/Stealth Carry SAK
on: January 29, 2020, 06:08:22 AM
Inspired by the "Hideout SAK in a Nursing Home" thread, and with no intent to advocate that anyone carry a knife where they are legally prohibited from doing so, what SAK is best for low profile hideout/holdout/stealth carry?

Classic - The Classic and its 58mm brethren are the shortest of the SAKs, and the alox Classic is also one of the thinnest.  Plus, the Classic is arguably the cheapest and easiest to replace if it has to be ditched or gets confiscated.

Alox Bantam - While longer and wider than the Classic, the alox Bantam remains one of the thinnest SAKs.  I carry one in my wallet, and only a metal detector or thorough search of the wallet would reveal its presence.

Money Clip - This is the SAK that hides in plain sight.  Use it for its intended function, and only the most astute observer or inquisitive inspector will realize that it is also a knife.

Something else?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Best Hideout/Holdout/Stealth Carry SAK
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 07:04:11 AM
Put a Swisscard in your wallet :D

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 02:18:54 PM
Something else?
Maybe, the smooth Alox Secretary. Even thinner and lighter than the Alox Bantam model.

us Offline boatman422

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 04:00:34 PM
Red cellidor Classic. Even if found, it is not likely to raise any alarm bells. It's that ubiquitous 'little red knife' anyhow.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 05:22:52 PM
Did Vic ever make an SD variant of the 58mm Companion? As it is super-slim and light.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 06:05:29 PM
I have perhaps the best option: a red smooth alox classic in my wallet.  Incredibly thin and small, and recognizable.
alox classic - 1.jpg
* alox classic - 1.jpg (Filesize: 297.64 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 07:19:09 PM
Another vote for the Alox Bantam.  I love those things!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:34:47 AM
I'd go with the humble classic for only one reason, my better half, Karen.

When we flew down to Key West for a cousins reunion some years ago, Karen, her sister Romeli, and our son John, didn't want check baggage. So I flew down sans any kind of knife. We go through security, and Karen walks right through with no problems. Same for Romeli and John. Me, oh no. They take out of line, and practically shake me upside down by my ankles and give me a third degree. Takes me a while to get through security.

We get to Key West and get some sandwiches and go out on the beach. I'm trying to open one of those plastic Mao packs and fingers are slippery from suntan lotion. Karen sees me have a bit of a problem says "Here, use my knife." and hands me her little classic. I look at her and ask where the hell did that come from. She says it was in her  makes kit with the lip sticks, compact, and 'stuff' the women folk carry. It went through the security at Dulles airport. So the rest of our Key West vacation I have the classic in my pocket.

Going home, I hand it to Karen and she sticks it in her makeup stuff and walks right through security without a second look form the TSA storm troopers. Me, I get a first class shakedown again. Karen says its my beard. Makes me look like Bin Laden. Every time we fly someplace, I mail a SAK ahead, but Karen walks right through with her little classic. Out of maybe 10 flights, she's lost maybe one or two classics. Me, I get a major shakedown. I think the smooth shape of the classic gets lost in the clutter of the female make up stuff in her bag. The bag goes through the X-ray machine, and nobody says anything, and Karen just picks up her bag the other side of the walk through metal detector thing and goes on down the concourse.

Going into a social security office or other government offices with a no knives or guns sign on the door, I take a classic and put in the zipper part of my wallet and the wallet goes through in the plastic tray with my car keys, change, Fenix E01 flashlight, Bic lighter, Cross pen, little bottle of hand sanitizer and belt buckle. They never catch it. I put a lot clutter on top of the wallet. I learned that from my better half.

Classic, the under the radar pocket knife.

A thin alox knife like a secretary or excelsior could work well. But I'd miss the scissors and screw driver. If it gets sized, I can get another classic at Walmart for 11.95. Heck, I can't even buy a lunch for Karen and I for that!!!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 07:14:39 AM
I can’t beat that story above this post. But I would vote for a Rambler. You can take out the toothpick and stick a firefly ferro rod instead and you are covered for the most part.

us Offline Frailer

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:40:31 PM
I typically opt for the Classic in these situations.  Attached to my keyring, it hasn't attracted unwanted attention yet.

But I will admit to having successfully slipped a Compact through security at the US Capitol on one occasion.  I had a bunch of giveaway pens in the bottom of my backpack, which sufficiently camouflaged the knife I didn't want to pitch into a trash can.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 08:12:55 PM
The now discontinued Victorinox Tomo knife. Same toolset as the Classic SD, completely unassuming design - in size, shape, colors. 

If I had to smuggle something in to my nursing home, this would go right in my Altoids tin next to my golf pencil and my ear plugs.  I would get it in mint green.

Offline JK

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:16 PM
The alox bantam fits inside the coin pocket of my wallet. And the wallet I have is fairly thin and small (only has space for four credit cards, just folds once).

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 08:47:49 PM
A nameless model like the Pocket Pal or Princess was available with thin steel scales. These knives are 3mm thick, making them the thinnest knives Victorinox has ever made! The Pocket Pal with Alox scales has 4mm, the secretary is much larger at 84mm but still only 5mm thick.

steel color: the nameless 3mm
red: Pocket Pal
silver: Secretary

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 12:31:18 AM
Anyone know if the Alox scales on the Alox Classic would "mask" the blade and scissors from showing up on the xray machines?

If not, then the Tomo all the way for the old folks home. It looks like a USB thumb drive or pack of gum at a quick glance.

As for me, when I am forced to travel I carry a swisscard. If the dopes at the TSA actually discover it I just toss out the blade and continue on my way (only happened once in maybe 4-5 trips).

<shrug> I've been carrying a pocket knife on me daily since I was 10 and other than a brief knifeless stint in basic training where the NCOs take pleasure in going through all of your personal effects I have always had some sort of cutting device on me.

Currently I skirt my hospital's policy by using a "bladeless" Jetsetter that has the package opener rather than the blade.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

il Offline Shalom

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 06:09:06 AM
Currently I skirt my hospital's policy by using a "bladeless" Jetsetter that has the package opener rather than the blade.

Package opener ?  I thought the jetsetter (formerly "bladeless") has the small Phillips  / cap lifter combo tool .
Have a picture or link ?
Thanx

il Offline Shalom

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 06:40:10 AM
Package opener ?  I thought the jetsetter (formerly "bladeless") has the small Phillips  / cap lifter combo tool .
Have a picture or link ?
Thanx
Never mind, my bad. It's in the wiki .
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Jetsetter+Series
Apple 8GB  (scroll down and ye shall find)
Sorry

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 07:27:00 AM
I gonna give it to classic too, the alox bantam maybe a better size for use but still it is more noticeable than a classic.

Offline JK

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 02:58:53 PM
I gonna give it to classic too, the alox bantam maybe a better size for use but still it is more noticeable than a classic.

Compared to alox compact yes. I think cellidor classic vs alox bantam is down to how you store / carry them.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 03:46:59 PM
I would vote for a Rambler. You can take out the toothpick and stick a firefly ferro rod instead and you are covered for the most part.

That is the direction I took, just won a pair of Ramblers on evilbay, each about half the price of a new Classic. I have Fireflys but for 91mm+ so I will try and see if they fit in a Rambler. Either way fire starting is not much of a suburban EDC issue (but great idea none the less!).

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 04:17:29 PM

And it doesn't have the scissors. I've got too used to having the small scissors and SD tip nail file on my little SAK, and I've got have them. Just too darn handy to not have. I'd rather have the handicap of the smaller blade than give up the scissors and SD nail file.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 05:29:08 PM
And it doesn't have the scissors. I've got too used to having the small scissors and SD tip nail file on my little SAK, and I've got have them. Just too darn handy to not have. I'd rather have the handicap of the smaller blade than give up the scissors and SD nail file.

Yup, the Scissors are the #1 tool I use on my keychain knife. If I need a blade I usually have a bigger SAK to use.

Never mind, my bad. It's in the wiki .
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Jetsetter+Series
Apple 8GB  (scroll down and ye shall find)
Sorry

That's the one! I love this lil thing, but I am still on the lookout for the Jetsetter 2 that is also on that page. The orange knife in the top photo.

If anyone has one of these and is willing to part with it I'd love to make an offer on it.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 05:45:12 PM
A nameless model like the Pocket Pal or Princess was available with thin steel scales. These knives are 3mm thick, making them the thinnest knives Victorinox has ever made! The Pocket Pal with Alox scales has 4mm, the secretary is much larger at 84mm but still only 5mm thick.

steel color: the nameless 3mm
red: Pocket Pal
silver: Secretary

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I would carry a Secretary if they could make it just as thin, with scissors on the back... and I would move on with life without ever needing another EDC. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%