Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Free P2 for the bin..

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Free P2 for the bin..
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 09:46:56 PM
That grey sheaths tells me the tool you're carrying is a lot of problems vs the Wave that guy pooped on.  The tool looks to have broke in an area that had zero to do with mods.  LM seriously needs to take a look.  Totally unacceptable.   :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Olives666

Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 10:04:31 PM
That grey sheaths tells me the tool you're carrying is a lot of problems vs the Wave that guy pooped on.  The tool looks to have broke in an area that had zero to do with mods.  LM seriously needs to take a look.  Totally unacceptable.   :facepalm:

Yeah. Absolutely nothing to do with changing the blade and modifying the package opener.
So easy for them to say no, with no hesitation without even looking at it or wanting to see pics.

Definitely won’t touch a free again, shame cos I was going to buy a P4.
Might save up for a TTI.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 04, 2020, 10:10:15 PM

:iagree:

In fact, I really think you should send a pic of the break to Leatherman directly, see what they say.

ltginfo@leatherman.com

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: May 04, 2020, 10:13:28 PM
TTI plus...
A tested design with a new pliers head...

It does sound more reasonable compared to a just as pricey free now.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #34 on: May 04, 2020, 10:18:53 PM
TTI plus...
A tested design with a new pliers head...

It does sound more reasonable compared to a just as pricey free now.

Does the scales slide about a bit on yours? Mine did, it used to drove me crazy.  :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: May 05, 2020, 06:53:29 AM
Does the scales slide about a bit on yours? Mine did, it used to drove me crazy.  :ahhh
Not on my OG TTI.
My Charge AL does have a metal slab on the scale that slides around some.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: May 05, 2020, 11:02:26 AM
Yeah. Absolutely nothing to do with changing the blade and modifying the package opener.
So easy for them to say no, with no hesitation without even looking at it or wanting to see pics.

Definitely won’t touch a free again, shame cos I was going to buy a P4.
Might save up for a TTI.

Sadly IIRC you're not the first guy Whitby have given short shrift too.  :-\  Yes, technically you've invalidated your warranty, but Leatherman USA seem to care far less about that than their UK distributors do.  I might be tempted to send them an email to the effect of "I know it's out of warranty, but I  thought you should know about this weakness anyway...".  See what they say.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: May 05, 2020, 03:24:34 PM
 :tu:.  LM has got to want to see this tool.  They have to.  Their engineers were so stoked about this tool.  Alex came on to invite us to some other chat room about this tool.  We rarely if ever ( could be wrong ) heard from them but he was so stoked.  I want to believe they want to hear how this tool failed in that area.  Forget the mods.  I understand warranty is warranty.  Forget getting a new tool.  This tool failed.  Take a look and figure out why. 

Leatherman  :pok:.  When I see that grey sheath I don't want to  :facepalm:.  While it wasn't my cuppa tea it cannot be a turd so early like this.  This was supposed to be some new technology that was going to revolutionize the industry. 

Rant off. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #38 on: May 05, 2020, 03:53:47 PM
Sadly IIRC you're not the first guy Whitby have given short shrift too.  :-\  Yes, technically you've invalidated your warranty, but Leatherman USA seem to care far less about that than their UK distributors do.  I might be tempted to send them an email to the effect of "I know it's out of warranty, but I  thought you should know about this weakness anyway...".  See what they say.

Do not tell them. Hopefully more tools will fail in the same spot, and they'll start dealing with the backlash, and address all the issues, not only with the tool, but the direction they went with this tool.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 03:56:05 PM
Whats chaps my hide is what I perceived as arrogance from those touting this wonder of a tool from LM.  Their marketing was not well done IMO either. 

I keep hearing "When I see the grey sheath......"   :twak:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Olives666

Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 05:00:25 PM
 :think: Yeah, it’s not a great advert for Leatherman preferring their older tools to their new innovations. Older models that are still going strong to this day. With better Q&C, finish and looks,IMO.
Unfortunately most of the good ones are no longer made and parts not available anymore. So if you do unfortunately break it and claim on Leatherman’s 25 year warranty, depending on the model you will receive a new ‘FREE’ Toy to play with.

nl Offline nitram

Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 07:57:00 PM
My PST has been used hard since the nineties and is still going strong, on the other hand my third P2 is on it's way. Maybe this replacement will actually be ok?  :facepalm:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: May 05, 2020, 08:09:32 PM
:tu: .  LM has got to want to see this tool.  They have to.  Their engineers were so stoked about this tool.  Alex came on to invite us to some other chat room about this tool.  We rarely if ever ( could be wrong ) heard from them but he was so stoked.  I want to believe they want to hear how this tool failed in that area.  Forget the mods.  I understand warranty is warranty.  Forget getting a new tool.  This tool failed.  Take a look and figure out why. 

Leatherman  :pok: .  When I see that grey sheath I don't want to  :facepalm: .  While it wasn't my cuppa tea it cannot be a turd so early like this.  This was supposed to be some new technology that was going to revolutionize the industry. 

Rant off.
THIS!!!!  :iagree:

They don't like it up 'em!

nl Offline nitram

Reply #43 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:40 PM
My PST has been used hard since the nineties and is still going strong, on the other hand my third P2 is on it's way. Maybe this replacement will actually be ok?  :facepalm:

Yeah, never mind that. On this one the tools are very loose, they partially flop out when opening and closing the pliers. Good thing there isn’t anything sharp tipped there.  :twak:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #44 on: May 07, 2020, 10:37:15 PM
Yeah, never mind that. On this one the tools are very loose, they partially flop out when opening and closing the pliers. Good thing there isn’t anything sharp tipped there.  :twak:
Amazing. :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #45 on: May 08, 2020, 12:24:37 PM
Well, they say you get what you pay for. That's a Leatherman Free, right?...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 08, 2020, 02:01:16 PM
I’m normally quite outspoken on MT’s and SAK’s
But I have to admit the new “”FREE”” series has left me speechless.
Talk about fall from grace.....

@ Leatherman  - you’d better buck your ideas up. Your customers are not fools.

The respect you once held is slowly turning to sniggers...incase you hadn’t noticed

Appalling contempt in my view.
LM’s are one of the most expensive MTs here in the UK - but their latest releases simply don't match their premium price tag anymore.

I checked the price of a P4 ....£170!!
My god, £170 quid!!

I know this was the P2, but the bigger version is what caught my eye....but I have absolutely no intention of buying either.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%