Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

High Resolution Scans of Leatherman Parts, with Scale

us Offline WrenchHeadFox

High Resolution Scans of Leatherman Parts, with Scale
on: February 07, 2020, 01:13:16 AM
I've been interested in customizing my Crunch. The locking pliers are indispensable, but the other tools are fairly lacking on this guy. I originally set out to create a "metalworking assistant" but I believe my idea has morphed to be a "prototyping assistant." Additionally, I want my Crunch to have no knife, so I am less likely to have it confiscated.

Anyway, something I've really wanted but been unable to find is high resolution scans of tools off various models of Leatherman, to help gauge compatibility with what I have and to better inform my decisions when purchasing spare parts. So, without further ado, the thing I wished I had had, delivered to you! Since I only have a Supertool 300, a Wingman, and a Crunch (and I have hopes to use parts from a Supertool 300 EOD), I am only going to be showing parts from the ST300 and Crunch. Still, this should be a good start for some folks, and if I end up taking the wingman apart (do love those scissors), then I'll update this post then. The graph paper grid is .5cm x .5cm; the ruler ought to be obvious. Apologies for the orientation of them all not being the same... but like I said... it's a start!

Additional imgur link with images for redundancy: https://imgur.com/gallery/2M97C8k

Hope this helps someone & happy modding.
Crunch.jpg
* Crunch.jpg (Filesize: 70.65 KB)
SuperTool 300.jpg
* SuperTool 300.jpg (Filesize: 75.13 KB)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:20:28 AM by WrenchHeadFox »

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Re: High Resolution Scans of Leatherman Parts, with Scale
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 05:12:24 PM
I will be following this thread closely and am very interested in your progress. :popcorn:

Offline portsample

Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 06:21:41 PM
Interesting. I've just returned a Crunch (jaws snapped off) and will be picking up another model to replace it with. Ideally looking for something with metal mechanical/electrical application and less sawing wood and butchering design. I find the ones with the jigsaw blade adapters attractive, however these are not available on very many models. Hopefully we'll get a scan of one of these, perhaps from a MT300 EOD. Any thoughts on adding one of these to your "Super-Crunch"?

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 07:24:04 PM
Very cool :tu:

I think I may be one of the few who likes the toolset on the Crunch. It is great for electrical and plumbing repairs. Phillips head is excellent, knife is great for cutting through tough rubber and plastic where a straight edge doesn't work well, the file is good quality and I've used it several times to file down a burr on copper pipes for soldering, the flat head is decent. The only thing I miss on it is an awl and I've considered several times of forming one out of the small screwdriver but always chicken out in the end. Looking forward though to seeing what you come up with :salute:

us Offline WrenchHeadFox

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 08:28:17 PM
Interesting. I've just returned a Crunch (jaws snapped off) and will be picking up another model to replace it with. Ideally looking for something with metal mechanical/electrical application and less sawing wood and butchering design. I find the ones with the jigsaw blade adapters attractive, however these are not available on very many models. Hopefully we'll get a scan of one of these, perhaps from a MT300 EOD. Any thoughts on adding one of these to your "Super-Crunch"?

Getting some sort of blade exchanger on here is a top priority for me. I'm struggling to justify the cost of an ST300 EOD just for the part, however. I am now thinking I will make my own blade exchanger from scratch. I may use a very different design than what LM does for their exchangers, but I'm still thinking about it before doing anything else to my tool. The ST300 blade exchanger should have a profile very similar to the ST300 file scanned above.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%