Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Armbar Owners Club 4006

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,009
Re: Gerber Armbar Owners Club
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2020, 11:26:07 AM »
Hey Charles, your observation and fix is great.  :tu: I do the same on my full-size kitchen Scissors. I bend the blades into a slight curve so they bite a little better and and a quick run on a belt sander, even worn scissors cut tissue paper all the way along the edge.  :salute:
No Life Club Posts: 1,310
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2020, 03:58:21 PM »
So, after rigorous testing, the Ruike scissors no longer cut in one snip. They still cut better than before by far, but once they loosened up enough so the backspring had pressure to open the scissors reliably, they no longer cut paracord reliably. Still better than before.

The Gerber style still cut paracord. I just cut a 2 foot section into 1/4" long bits, over and over and over again, and except for a sore thumb they worked great. I'm going to try this on some actual Gerber scissors next.

Also, I found the perfect Gerber pocket knife, which is not made by Gerber. I'm waiting on its sister to arrive, and then I'll post more information.

Charles.
No Life Club Posts: 1,541
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
So, after rigorous testing, the Ruike scissors no longer cut in one snip. They still cut better than before by far, but once they loosened up enough so the backspring had pressure to open the scissors reliably, they no longer cut paracord reliably. Still better than before.

The Gerber style still cut paracord. I just cut a 2 foot section into 1/4" long bits, over and over and over again, and except for a sore thumb they worked great. I'm going to try this on some actual Gerber scissors next.

Also, I found the perfect Gerber pocket knife, which is not made by Gerber. I'm waiting on its sister to arrive, and then I'll post more information.

Charles.

:shrug:

:D :D
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
Okay, okay. There are two different versions of these little tools. One is labeled Bibury, the other PowerDelux. Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HNVJTB/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4DBFXN

These use Gerber tools. Any tool from a Suspension, NXT, MP400, MP600, etc fits.

The tool is a little shorter than a Wenger SAK, measuring at 75mm. It's about the same thickness as a 4 layer Wenger The scissors are slightly better than any of the scissors in my suspensions or MP400s. Yes. Better. The blade is shorter than the blade in an NXT, though an NXT blade will fit if you remove the lanyard ring and replace it with a bushing. (It contacts the ring). The blade is tanto, but does not have the forward edge profiled or sharpened. So it's not useful for stabbing. It is however quite sharp, goes through receipt paper easily.  The quality of all the implements is damn good. Not quite Gerber quality on the machining of tips and edges, but still very high. For instance, the can opener blade isn't as sharp or as large, and the screwdriver tip isn't as well defined as on the NXT. But the NXT part will swap right in if you have a broken or a spare. The phillips driver actually slots deeply into more screws than the Suspension's driver does, and fits securely in more screws around my house. The Suspension's 2.5D driver is thicker and more robust, but it doesn't fit half the screws in my house. 

Basically, any tool you'd want to mod into this is mostly feasible. Any of the suspension or NXT inner tools fit (basically anything except the blade or saw). Any of the short MP600 tools fit. Longer MP600 tools, such as the file, will have to be cut shorter to fit.
The tool uses medium thickness washers. Going to the thin washers looks like it will fit a whole additional tool in there. It's a modder's dream, to be honest. I've always loved the MP600 locking tools, and had the thought of cutting and modifiying a handle to be a little pocket knife. This tool does that, with style and class. I talk about modding it, which is my thing, but the tools that come in it are perfectly adequate as they are. The blade is sharp, the scissors cut better than my MP600 or NXT, (even before my tweaking) the file files, the screwdriver screws. The only bad point is the line cutter on mine was so dull it couldn't cut anything. But 10 minutes with a diamond file fixed that.

I am waiting on the version above with the saw. The line cutter isn't really a useful tool for me, but even a short saw is useful. Especially since I tend to use it on plastic more than anything else.

I really need to reiterate, if you like the tools in the Suspension, you'll love this. It takes all those tools and puts it in a very compact, tiny, USEFUL tool that fits in your coin pocket. The back is even perfectly flat, and perfectly sized for a Nite Ize clip to stick on.

Charles.
No Life Club Posts: 4,661
« Reply #154 on: May 31, 2020, 04:07:49 AM »
Interesting. Are all tools on it locking? In that case it would be better than the Armbar  :facepalm:
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
Yes, all the tools lock, just like the Suspension, NXT, and MP600. It's my new favorite EDC. It's so tiny, but so useful. I'm going to buy a slew of them for stocking stuffers for my friends and family and work team. And of course, I'm going to buy a couple to keep stock and a couple to mod :)

Charles.
Sr. Member Posts: 279
« Reply #156 on: June 01, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »
Ooh, can I join now?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 04:49:52 PM by charlie fox »

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
« Reply #157 on: June 01, 2020, 11:43:24 PM »
I just picked up a Gerber Fit. I really like this thing! It's a rather large pocket knife with an LED flashlight (which runs on a triple-a battery thankfully), and it has a locking bit driver, a blade, and scissors. Plus two micro drivers and tweezers. Dunno why it didn't catch on, other than perhaps the bulk, but I like it. I think a nite ize clip will make it rather perfect.

Charles.
Sr. Member Posts: 475
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2020, 03:25:20 AM »

Okay, okay. There are two different versions of these little tools. One is labeled Bibury, the other PowerDelux. Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HNVJTB/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z4DBFXN

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice find Charles! .7 inches deep is a bit much for my pocket. Can you offer an opinion on how easy it would be to drop a layer or two to slim it down? And maybe a picture of the backspacing.

:cheers:
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2020, 07:08:26 AM »
To make it thinner, you'd have to cut the plastic back and shorten the pivots. That doesn't really seem doable without a milling machine. This tool is a hair thicker than a 3-layer Wenger SAK, if you don't count the pivot screw heads. It's not as wide or as long as a Wenger SAK though. It's really a lot smaller than you think. I've attached some comparison photos with a Wenger and Victorinox SAK.

Charles.
Sr. Member Posts: 475
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »
Thanks Charles. Appreciate it.
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2020, 12:08:49 AM »
Why is the price of the Armbar going up?   :think:

it's gone from $31 to $41 on Amazon, and almost as much on the Gerber site,   ???
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,792 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »
I found one locally.

IMG_8937A by Chako, on Flickr

IMG_8940A by Chako, on Flickr

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,792 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2020, 07:33:10 PM »
Not a big fan of this tool to be honest. No locking other than the knife (liner lock works great here). The scissors has this little nub that should have been expanded for ease and comfort of use. My thumb started feeling the pressure of that minuscule curved piece of metal that interfaces with you. My copy appears to cut ok...but the puny little spring is more than useless as my copy appears to be somewhat tight and does't do a good job of springing the two scissor blades apart. I do like the driver however, and the awl is cute and I suppose effective. The bottle opener on the end appears to have the best tactility of the whole tool set. I still cannot phantom why the other tools do not lock, or even snap into place. It is like working with a wet spaghetti noddle.I tried using the driver and it functions good...but wants to always rotate on you simply because there is no snap or locking mechanism. At least you can angle the handle whichever degree you want to get some effective torque I guess.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
No Life Club Posts: 4,661
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2020, 05:17:06 AM »
Thanks for your observations, they basically mirror my thoughts. I guess the no-snap on those tools is really intended. I guess I will never understand the thought process behind this decision  :dunno:
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »
Thanks for your observations, they basically mirror my thoughts. I guess the no-snap on those tools is really intended. I guess I will never understand the thought process behind this decision  :dunno:

Yep, not having bought the tool (yet) but looking at pictures and videos I'd say without a doubt that the no-snap was intentional.... Like the Bassett Trim Trio that I have finally identified after all these years. 

Now, why they made that decision, I couldn't say.  They've clearly stated that they intend the Armbar to be a backup to a folder.  With the Centerdrive being so popular, my guess is they are trying hard not to cannibalize the rest of their product line. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $272.00
PayPal Fees: $14.75
Net Balance: $257.25
Below Goal: $42.75
Site Currency: USD
86%