Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Armbar Owners Club

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Armbar Owners Club
Reply #180 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:08 AM
Thanks for that great, objective review, Poncho; as I read through, looks like you nailed it with both good and not-so-good of it. Looking at your pictures, could it be possible to add a clip to the skeletonized side? It would be tip-up carry, but otherwise good. Oooh, and it looks so good in orange! :like:
 :tu: :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #181 on: January 18, 2021, 03:11:04 AM
Or attaching a clip to the spine, maybe?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #182 on: January 18, 2021, 03:45:55 AM
I do :like: the Orange 8)

I was looking at the Skeletool and Skeletool KB clips and those would be possible clips for the bit driver side that might work :think: They might be slender enough to be out of the way of the bit driver and still work well as a clip :tu: I don't have a donor for either at the moment or I would try them :cheers:

The spine clip would be nice but I am not sure how to attach it easily though :dunno: :cheers:

fi Offline temo

Reply #183 on: January 21, 2021, 11:17:07 AM
Join as well.

So as written not swiss quality tool. But different solution, light for pocket carry. Knife and driver are fast to deploy. As well bottle opener / prybar. Those are important features if going to use pocket tool often. And main reasons got one and join the club.

I have had many gerbers those have not been happy with. This I am quite sure already will get lot of pocket time and usage. Other is MP400 I like.

Scissors are more difficult to deploy. As there are no lock (well dont need in scissor usage) you have to play a bit to get scissors to use position. In MP400 with lock you can just turn and turn. With this have to turn then hold and turn to use position.

But even so if hammer / cap lifter / prybar, driver and blade as primary tools, set is good. And still have scissors can be used. And awl.

I have carried super tinker quite lot. Tools are quite similar. Pioneer X I could see option as well. Yes higher quality. So mainly reason I now carry this are new ideas and concept. With primary tools this is quite usable one handed. Opening blade one handed with tool this small is not very fluent (i have big hands). But doable. Again what to do most with EDC is carry. And there small size is a huge plus.

Lets see how it feels after longer period of usage. Now feeling positive. At least going to give a good change to be long time partner.

Lähetetty minun ASUS_X00TD laitteesta Tapatalkilla

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #184 on: January 21, 2021, 06:44:20 PM
Great write up, temo :tu: :like:

I hope that the Armbar works out well for you :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #185 on: January 22, 2021, 12:17:48 AM
Looks like they are coming out with some new ones.

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/search-results-page?searchterm=armbar

fi Offline temo

Reply #186 on: January 22, 2021, 01:11:12 AM
Ty Poncho and Steve.

Yes seems slim coming. Cut with knife and scissors, drive with knife and driver. So bit smaller and smaller tool set. Im okay with size of current. And like to click hammer / opener :) But sure two main tools with slim set can be good.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #187 on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:28 AM
Looks like they are coming out with some new ones.

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/search-results-page?searchterm=armbar

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow .... squarely in competition with Victorinox - on their website "You won’t find rounded smooth plastic or thin dainty blades on this tool. Large tool tabs and indications get you to the right tool the first time with a thumb, not a finger nail"

I'm not sure what I think of these... At first glance, I'd pass them up... but I'm intrigued by the Slim version.... of only that it eliminates tools that otherwise require a backspring. 

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #188 on: January 22, 2021, 03:18:28 AM
Wow .... squarely in competition with Victorinox - on their website "You won’t find rounded smooth plastic or thin dainty blades on this tool. Large tool tabs and indications get you to the right tool the first time with a thumb, not a finger nail"

I'm not sure what I think of these... At first glance, I'd pass them up... but I'm intrigued by the Slim version.... of only that it eliminates tools that otherwise require a backspring.

If only their deeds, design and execution would live up to those big words. Unfortunately all you get are big words, and a tool that can’t live up to them  ::)

They don’t like backsprings, apparently they have no clue how to get them to work right  >:D

fi Offline temo

Reply #189 on: January 22, 2021, 12:16:43 PM
Agree with back spring. Gerber often uses plate frame like in armbar and there is no spring action to tools. Very small if not at all tension in close and open position. So best to design tools for that. Maybe would require polished steel to fluently slide even tension would be there. Anyway vic is mastered that so well better if others do different design. And find they own way.

fi Offline temo

Reply #190 on: January 22, 2021, 01:33:21 PM
Saved ultimate bottle opening test till friday. Opener is short so it will turn edge of the cap up. Did two lifts to remove a cap. As result get a bottle open, cap bended. Looks slim has longer cap lifter so could work in one lift. This has short as turns in to hammer. I would call this cap bender / remover rather then lifter. Does the work needed, removes cap from a bottle making doable to drink liquid in bottle.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #191 on: January 22, 2021, 07:26:21 PM
Saved ultimate bottle opening test till friday. Opener is short so it will turn edge of the cap up. Did two lifts to remove a cap. As result get a bottle open, cap bended. Looks slim has longer cap lifter so could work in one lift. This has short as turns in to hammer. I would call this cap bender / remover rather then lifter. Does the work needed, removes cap from a bottle making doable to drink liquid in bottle.(Image removed from quote.)

Nice Schlenkerla

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #192 on: February 13, 2021, 04:02:35 AM
Love the look of the black and tan one :drool: :like:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #193 on: February 26, 2021, 04:26:41 PM
Nice, but I prefer my T4!
Enjoy!

fi Offline temo

Reply #194 on: February 26, 2021, 05:08:35 PM
Seems over month carry now. Not perfect but like it. Size and toolset is just so good. Super tinker quite close but this is some change. No use for "hammer" yet but sure report if get some. Some getting use to with scissors. But managed with small tasks had so far.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #195 on: April 01, 2021, 06:03:12 PM
I picked one of these up Yesterday and only learned of its existence a few days ago,I have learned in the last year that as long as I stay off of these forums I waste a lot less money than otherwise! :whistle:

I really only bought mine for the Driver Arm and had little interest in any of the other tools.

I LOVE the Centerdrive but of course they are a huge tool and not too pocketable so this seemed like a natural buy for me given how useful a Driver is in my EDC life.

On that basis I think I will get along just fine with the Armbar and despite the obvious improvement that it locking would make I dont really see that as a deal breaker for me either as I am easily able to use the driver while remaining focused on it not closing at the same time. Further if the smaller tool now shipping does the same thing I am afraid that the smaller mass of the tool would give much less solid grip for the driver in use?

I almost never use scissors on a tool unless cutting double stick tape,Velcro or Wire Ties and interesting enough this tool seems to be OK for each of these uses to me in the short time that I tested mine for the use I plan for it.
I can not easily cut a deployed wire tie to open a bundle as it just hurts to apply that much pressure but I can easily cut the unused end of them where I can get the ties deeper into the blades of the scissors for it to be effortless really.
The same is true for me with all of the tiny scissors on MTs that I can think of really which is why I rarely use the scissors on a tool in the first place and instead use diagonal cutters or medical scissors which make short work of the things they are made for.

The Hammer is just bizarre to me,I NEVER need a Cap Lifter but did try t on some,paint cans and it works really well and I will not use the Awl unless an emergency I imagine.

This brings me to the Knife Blade which is another tool that I almost NEVER use in an MT,I always carry another knife and always prefer to use that to do knife things if I have it with me.
What is interesting and compelling to me though about the Armbar in relation to the knife though is that it is really the first MT Knife that I can remember that I think I would use in the end!
Everything about the knife from the blade/handle ratio,one handed opening and overall shape actually feels right in my hand enough to suggest that if not carrying anything else but this Armbar that this could be an actual solution for me to carry a much smaller and lighter tool and tool/knife combo than I choose to carry now?!
There is something about it that just feels right in my hand as the 1st MT that has a really usable knife to me.

Gerber has always appealed to me with the design of their tools and this one is no exception.
I truly wish they had fit and finished it to a level beyond what they did along the lines of what everyone has mentioned and researched but at the same time I think I can live with it the way it is and see how it goes.
I did the same with the Pinchys and with the same kind of reservations and still would be fine Today if I had to use just a Pinchy alone for the rest of my days!

Again the Driver is really the game changer to me just like in the CD and with that perspective I really like the tool and intend to see if it works for me EDC.

As long as I can find a decent way to carry mine?
The lack of any means of carry is simply a stupid oversight that can not be justified to me?

Notice that on the pics of the new versions they seem to have solved that problem by adding a 10 cent split ring!

I wonder how long it took designers to come up with that? :twak:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #196 on: May 09, 2021, 01:10:19 PM
Has anyone tried to loosen the pivot on the blade?  Is there a “right way” to do this?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #197 on: May 14, 2021, 05:28:04 PM
I haven't tried but one side may be fixed and the other turns :think: of course I have no idea if that is true or which side is which :shrug:

I haven't carried mine lately but it does sit on my computer desk and occasionally used :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #198 on: May 17, 2021, 03:35:38 AM
I made a feeble attempt at twisting the pivot "screw" with pliers... the pliers just slipped off...

The blade is too stiff for me to want to carry it .... unless it loosens after weeks of fidgeting.   :dunno:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #199 on: May 18, 2021, 07:10:49 PM
EB, it looks like the MP/Centerdrive pivot screws; did you tried lightly heating it up first to break the threadlock's bond first? Get loki's wrenches, an angled snap ring pliers, or get/make a notched flat blade screwdriver or bit. My tool shown as a n example. Hope it helps.
20210518_130706_copy_1600x2133.jpg
* 20210518_130706_copy_1600x2133.jpg (Filesize: 75.67 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #200 on: June 12, 2021, 01:51:47 PM
Found a used Armbar Drive online… Hopefully it arrives soon… :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #201 on: June 12, 2021, 02:05:14 PM
EB, it looks like the MP/Centerdrive pivot screws; did you tried lightly heating it up first to break the threadlock's bond first? Get loki's wrenches, an angled snap ring pliers, or get/make a notched flat blade screwdriver or bit. My tool shown as a n example. Hope it helps.

Oh my- when I tell you that I have to skill with this sort of thing...

If I can't get it done with a Gerber MP600, I can't do it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #202 on: June 27, 2021, 12:54:00 PM
A sort of update.

I did get in 2 Nite Ize HipClips. However, I took a closer look at the Armbar Drive and noticed 2 things. One, both are slightly different colours. Two, the HipClip is a bit wide for the Armbar Drive because there is a serious lack of real-estate to attach a pocket clip to it in the first place.

So now I have a pair of HipClip waiting for a tool and an application to put them to good use. I am sure something will come up, and for now, they are relegated into the collection. I recently noticed Canadian Tire selling the Armbar Cork. I had to pick one of those up. Hopefully I will not forget I bought one later and get another duplicate...albeit, the two Drives are of slightly different colours...so it wasn't a waste. I have not EDCed it either because of this. I would hate to buy a third to use.  :rofl:

20210627_063723A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_063758A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_064022A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_064132A by Chako, on Flickr
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #203 on: June 27, 2021, 03:39:15 PM
A sort of update.

I did get in 2 Nite Ize HipClips. However, I took a closer look at the Armbar Drive and noticed 2 things. One, both are slightly different colours. Two, the HipClip is a bit wide for the Armbar Drive because there is a serious lack of real-estate to attach a pocket clip to it in the first place.

So now I have a pair of HipClip waiting for a tool and an application to put them to good use. I am sure something will come up, and for now, they are relegated into the collection. I recently noticed Canadian Tire selling the Armbar Cork. I had to pick one of those up. Hopefully I will not forget I bought one later and get another duplicate...albeit, the two Drives are of slightly different colours...so it wasn't a waste. I have not EDCed it either because of this. I would hate to buy a third to use.  :rofl:

20210627_063723A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_063758A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_064022A by Chako, on Flickr

20210627_064132A by Chako, on Flickr

Interesting how the texturing on the Cork and Drive are different too. 

I have the Slim Cut - which has a keyring built in. 

us Offline Adam5

Reply #204 on: June 27, 2021, 06:01:48 PM
Let me add to the chorus that the Armbar Drive could have been, but definitely is not, a great pocket MT  :bnghd:

I will be using it in September during the SAK-alike challenge. Hopefully I will find that its positives outweigh its flaws.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #205 on: June 27, 2021, 06:14:36 PM
Let me add to the chorus that the Armbar Drive could have been, but definitely is not, a great pocket MT  :bnghd:

I will be using it in September during the SAK-alike challenge. Hopefully I will find that its positives outweigh its flaws.

Me too.  My thought is that the one-hand opening blade in this size (about the same as a 91mm SAK) will offer some advantages. 

I opted for the Cut instead of the Cork because I don't open wine bottles all that often - and I use bits even less, I would think that a lever arm is a distinct advantage over the many MT corkscrews without one. Some reviews out there point toward a useful tip - the corkscrew is relatively short, so you have to pull the cork in two stages.  Screw it in halfway so the lever arm engages, and pull.  then screw it in the rest of the way to where the lever arm engages and pull again.  Two pulls should get the job done. 

us Offline johnnyvol

Reply #206 on: August 03, 2021, 09:41:52 PM
I've had one of these for a couple of weeks now and I'm really starting to like it.  It's a good size for pocket carry, not too heavy and the blade is a beast.  Don't ask why, but I had to use it to pry the center caps off the front wheels of my truck and the blade was all I had at the time.  Not even a nick.  Just a couple of passes on the DC4 and sharp as before.

I did do one thing to help out with the lack of "snap" on the tools.  I took the tool apart and bent the back spring down to give it more resistance and put it all back together.  There is an audible pop when the tools engage now.  It's still no SAK but it takes a little effort to disengage now.

I'd post a photo but something about this forum software has me stymied.  Maybe I have to have more posts to upload pics?

EDIT:  Photo added but I have no clue how, lol.

spring.jpg
* spring.jpg (Filesize: 124.79 KB)
Don't complain and never explain.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #207 on: August 04, 2021, 12:34:50 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  and good job on adding some tension to your Armbar :tu: :like:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #208 on: August 04, 2021, 01:21:29 AM
I'm starting to like the Armbar a lot more, and the locking mechanism a lot less.   :ahhh

Does anyone else have an issue with disengaging the lock?  I have to switch hands and depress the liner lock with my fingertip just to get it to unlock.  My thumb can't get close enough to the tang where the lock meets it, so the liner lock doesn't back down from the blade (because pressing the middle of the lock all the way down results in the business end of the lock still sticking up against the tang).  So I have to switch hands and get the tip of my index finger right up to the top of the liner lock and press it in,

I have small hands to begin with so I should easily be able to do this with my thumb, and can do so with all my other liner locking blades.   :dunno:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #209 on: August 04, 2021, 02:24:04 AM
Been eyeing one of these, for a while now,  now that johnnyvol has posted a make-do solution to the tool tension, I might just have to pick one up

Just a question for the slim owners, is the bit holder tension the same as the standard armbar?
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD