Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Brochures for Collectors/Knife Enthusiasts

00 Offline elsinox

New Brochures for Collectors/Knife Enthusiasts
on: February 08, 2020, 11:20:21 AM
Sorry to have to pull your link, but it is in violation of our forum policies on advertising. :salute:
As this is a privately owned and members funded forum we can't allow you to advertise for free here.
We have members here paying for the privilege to advertise and allowing you to do so for free wouldn't be fair to them.
If you have any more questions or would like arrange options for advertising, please  contact Grant Lamontagne, the site owner via email.
Nice to have you with us and you can enjoy the forum and take part in the discussions, but don't advertise anymore until you've made arrangements to do so with the forum owner. :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:28:23 PM by Aloha »

ru Offline Nick4

Re: New Brochures for Collectors/Knife Enthusiasts
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:42:25 AM
Welcome to the MTO, elsinox!

May I ask, your name is Elsi Nox (as on your Web-Site) or Ulli? (Because you posted a picture of the Victorinox Tang Stamps made by Ulli.)

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:48:03 AM
Welcome to the MTO, elsinox!

May I ask, your name is Elsi Nox (as on your Web-Site) or Ulli? (Because you posted a picture of the Victorinox Tang Stamps made by Ulli.)

Thanks

Those brochures were developed in collaboration with Ulli.

ru Offline Nick4

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:54:02 AM
Those brochures were developed in collaboration with Ulli.

Thank you very much for the information, elsinox!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 12:25:47 PM
I just want to address this particular thread for anyone wondering.

Elsinox contacted me and told me that he wanted to sell his brochure here, but that he had no intentions of supporting this community.

There are a lot of levels of wrong here...

1- Servers are not free.  Neither is the content that brings people to a forum, so why should I give access to this forum for free so that someone else can make a buck?

2- A forum is about the free exchange of information and this person wants to sell their information to forum members, through the forum that is free

3- As the world's greatest repository of Swiss Army Knives (outside of a certain basement in Ibach anyway), there is a very good chance that much, if not all of the information in this brochure is sourced from this forum or SAKWiki- which, by the way, are free.

So, what this particular individual wants to do is charge each and every one of you for information that you all provided, and have available free already.

And somehow, I am being made out to be the bad guy.  I am the unreasonable guy, just out to take advantage of him.   :think:

I have come up with a solution- we should take up a collection, buy ONE copy of his fancy brochure, scan and post the whole thing here and see how he feels about that, since he thinks everyone here absolutely needs his info.  Maybe then he will understand the annoyance I feel when people try to take advantage of the community we have all built here.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline Yanossauro

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:34 PM
I can't agree with you more! You are the good guy here, actually, the hero. Keep up the good work, and count me in on that collection!

I just want to address this particular thread for anyone wondering.

Elsinox contacted me and told me that he wanted to sell his brochure here, but that he had no intentions of supporting this community.

There are a lot of levels of wrong here...

1- Servers are not free.  Neither is the content that brings people to a forum, so why should I give access to this forum for free so that someone else can make a buck?

2- A forum is about the free exchange of information and this person wants to sell their information to forum members, through the forum that is free

3- As the world's greatest repository of Swiss Army Knives (outside of a certain basement in Ibach anyway), there is a very good chance that much, if not all of the information in this brochure is sourced from this forum or SAKWiki- which, by the way, are free.

So, what this particular individual wants to do is charge each and every one of you for information that you all provided, and have available free already.

And somehow, I am being made out to be the bad guy.  I am the unreasonable guy, just out to take advantage of him.   :think:

I have come up with a solution- we should take up a collection, buy ONE copy of his fancy brochure, scan and post the whole thing here and see how he feels about that, since he thinks everyone here absolutely needs his info.  Maybe then he will understand the annoyance I feel when people try to take advantage of the community we have all built here.

Def
Victorinox lover.
Sharpening enthusiast.
With a thing fo Spartans.

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 03:55:44 PM
I feel misunderstood here. I just didn`t know that I cant sell things here for free. I just thought that the multitools for sale part is free of charge. And I see people posting links manytimes, make people aware of news, new products, new books. Thats all. I totally respect your point. I mean its your forum, your rules. And I never said that I don`t respect that, or I have no intension to support this community. If I had known, I would not have done that. And after you closed my post, I never tried again to sell things here.
I never said that you are the "bad guy", and I`m also not mad about you. But its also my choice if I would like to pay for advertisment here or not, and that should also be respected. And if I dont do that, its nothing personal against you or against this community. And I see no reason here to make me the "bad guy" or tell people my product is not good.

So I`m really sorry about my opening post and about my former intentions. Hope everythings alright now - for me at least it is. I know now what I can or should do here and what not.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 04:26:58 PM
Well goodbye then if you've no confidence on your product.

Lähetetty minun PCT-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:10:12 PM
So I`m really sorry about my opening post and about my former intentions. Hope everythings alright now - for me at least it is. I know now what I can or should do here and what not.

Apology accepted, and please allow me to apologize if I misunderstood you at any point.  I am used to people arguing with me about their "right" to sell things here without giving back to this community, and when you did not respond to my email I assumed that, like many others, you simply couldn't be bothered with us.

People sell their own things, privately owned things here free.  It is a service that we offer for members, and it is intended for individuals to build collections by buying, selling or trading tools and gear that they have personally owned, bought and used.

What you are offering doesn't fall into that category as you have produced a product with the intent to sell.  For that, you would require a Fabricator membership, which is a paid membership.

As I said in the email, I am happy to work with you, but unfortunately we cannot just allow people to promote themselves and/or their products without doing something to help this community grow.

And no, that doesn't always involve money.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:40:04 PM
So here's the thing.  We are happy to have new members.  We love when new members share information on MTO freely and the generosity at which they do.  SAKWIKI is a great example of that.  The time and enormous amount of energy and dedication that it takes to keep up with the SAKWIKI is something most cannot fathom.  I wont say more than that.  Shout out to HUNTSMAN  :hatsoff:.  Shout out to all who have shared freely and all those unsung heroes who provide information to the SAKWIKI, new and old members who have taken on this behemoth of SAK wealth for all to use freely.  Shout out to all who painstakingly edit and loose sleep over it.  It a free resource to all.  Imagine that in this day and age.

Ok sorry, got off on a tangent.     

I saw this thread and I took it upon myself to edit it.  I am a relatively new moderator.  I am a longtime member.  I am active and am one of the top 20 posters.  Why I edited this post was simply because you came here and posted for sale your wares.  Most dont read the do's and don'ts of MTO.  I get that people come and with no ill will post.  I sent you in the right direction to chat with Grant about your item/s for sale.  Yes we allow links  and such BUT those don't benefit the member directly.  Our sales and trade threads actually ask members to contribute when a deal is done.  I'm not sure how many members actually do. 

If you take a look at the right of the page you'll see a operational fund break down.  Grant in no way is looking to profit.  He has likely had sleepless nights due to the money it takes to run this place and the shortfalls some months have.  I can only imagine the deficits over time he's funded.  He is one of the most generous people I don't actually know  ;).  I'm not sure what it costs to partner with Grant but I am sure the benefits of a captive enthusiastic audience is worth it.   I edited your post simply because I thought MTO deserved to be treated like any other site that allows/provides people an outlet to sell.  Even more simply, we ( MTO ) deserves to benefit financially when someone wants to sell their items here on MTO. 

WHY?

What you don't see is the TIME behind the scenes it takes to run this site.  The man/woman hours people spend FREELY so this place is available at no cost.  I have been blessed to be asked to be a moderator and now I can see some behind the scenes things.  Its amazing the generosity that goes on.  Then when I look thru the pages and pages of threads and see the generosity of our members, I am humbled yet again.  No one is saying you cannot sell here.  We are asking that you please partner with Grant which is an outlet to sell in the first place.  Make sense?   

I've personally seen people use the SAKWIKI's info and pics to sell their items on the big auction sites.  I know that member TopGear24 has had his pictures used without permission for an advertisement.  Just imagine, no MTO, no SAKWIKI.  Where would one go to get such a captive audience?  Again, Grant has provided us this outlet, I'm sure at great expense both time and financially.  I am certain he has not asked for 51/49 split of the proceeds.  You say you only wanted what you have spent for these materials back so that you are not out of pocket.  Let me say again, what about the expense it takes to keep MTO up?  Why should MTO not have a crumb?     

Just so everyone knows, I am speaking only for myself as a member of MTO.  Yes I have a peak behind the curtain as a moderator but I have always felt those who come here to self promote for whatever reason is just wrong.  I have the ability to now curtail some of it and so I did.

I do hope this made sense.  Welcome to MTO and I do hope you stay and enjoy.

EDIT:  Grant answered.  I am a slow typer.             

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline elsinox

Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 06:37:06 PM
Thank you both for the responds.

I think I understand things better now. One mainreason I printed booklets is exactly the things that happened to pictures and content from sawkiki and online auctions to many members; stolen, used in a different way, so on. Thats the way I want to keep it analog. And thats expensive, so not possible to share it free to everybody, at least not for me. I did not produce it to earn money out of it. I wanted to promote it here that members and users can buy it 15-20% cheaper than the way I put them on auction sites. So profit for users, not for me. But yes of course, MTO should not do that for free. I just thought it is that way or hoped it is. And yes, I didn`t read the terms of this forum carefully. So indeed thats my fault.

And my content is much different from sakwiki, what I respect and use a lot. And I tried to help Sakwiki with content and fotos, but just much too complicated for me - what is not a critic to sakwiki, but to my knowledge of editing.

As long as my content is only available in german, I don`t think it makes sense to partner with MTO at the moment.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 06:49:36 PM
 :salute: Please feel free to engage and become part of this great community.  Thank you for coming back to clarify and to express yourself. 

MTO is a great bunch is people from all over and I believe we all benefit from one another.   :cheers:
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Storm

Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 12:48:02 AM
Must  say it's  been a surprise  and a pleasure to see both sides respectfully present their side of events .
It's (sadly) not something we see enough of online  these days .
 :hatsoff: to all concerned , long may it continue 
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are "

00 Offline jnoxyd

Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 01:51:02 PM
Welcome to the forum, Elsinox!  I am glad that you have joined our community of collectors and I hope that you will participate in the discussions on the forum (especially in Vintage SAK owners Club).  I bought some great old SAKs from you some years ago and I’m sure that your collection and knowledge are great.  I really hope that you will someday provide interesting information you have that is not available on SAKWIKI yet and it will be posted there with the help of such wonderful enthusiasts as Huntsman, Mechanical and many others, and of course with the mention of your name.  By the way, I am glad to hear that Ulli took part in the creation of your brochures.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%