Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bladeless Leatherman: what are the possibilities? 1036

Newbie Posts: 13
Bladeless Leatherman: what are the possibilities?
« on: February 10, 2020, 05:20:45 AM »
I think I may be receiving a warranty credit from Leatherman for a broken Crunch that I sent back to them last week.

Reviewing their current products, I am disappointed that they do not build more multi-tools without blades. What are the options for buying a tool with a blade, and then replacing the blade with a tool of my preference? What would be the source(s) for such additions be? Thanks in advance.
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,958
Re: Bladeless Leatherman: what are the possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:26:40 AM »
Welcome to MTO.  Yes depending on the tool there are many options for a blameless MT.  I believe LM does make a bladeless Rebar? 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 06:38:05 AM »
Welcome to MTO.  Yes depending on the tool there are many options for a blameless MT.  I believe LM does make a bladeless Rebar?
Yes! You are totally correct!
However, I am disappointed that they do not make MORE multi-tools without blades.
Is it possible to swap out blades on standard LM tools with non-cutting edge appliances?
Thanks for your insight.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 08:12:56 AM by portsample »
No Life Club Posts: 4,830
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
Yes that is possible. Some LM are easier to mod than others though. The Rebar is a great platform for modding in my opinion, as is the PST II. 
Here is an idea for a drop-in blade using the Wave: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83609.0.html

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
The Wave and Surge would be good candidates for blameless models.  The great thing about modding is your imagination.  Good luck and please post up pic if and when you do decide to mod.

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
What is the source for the added "blades"? Any one selling just the parts, or do I need to find a donor LM?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64314.msg2080030.html#msg2080030

He's our resident parts supplier.  Be patient as he may not get back to quickly but he well get back to you.  You'll need 5 posts to private message him as well.  Happy modding. 

Esse Quam Videri
No Life Club Posts: 1,718 my best friends a dog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
Welcome to the :MTO:

Other than the blade less Rebar and Fuse you'll be taking a fun journey down the modding path.

Here's a link to my P2 I modified the the blade into something less pointy, I'm happy with it :tu:

"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A
Newbie Posts: 21
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »
I recently removed the blade from my Crunch (I live in NYC and it's just not worth the potential hassle/loss of my tool considering this is part of my EDC). For now I have replaced the knife with a modified washer the take up the space the knife left in the tool stack. 

I'm hoping to put in a T-shank blade exchanger from a Supertool 300 EOD, but so far all I have done is take some tools from a regular supertool 300 and compared them to the profile of the tools from a Crunch. They're different, but I feel confident it should be doable with just a little grinding done to the tools to make them fit in the Crunch. 

Here's a topic I posted with scans of parts from both, for comparison:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83920.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 11:54:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It is not that I am anti-blade, or work for TSA: I carry a stainless Spyderco for cutting. I was hoping to find a LM with tools in the space where a blade would be. Perhaps a marlin spike. Perhaps a screwdriver with a bigger or smaller than stock bit. Maybe a blade exchanger like the Surge. Checked around on Etsy and no one is selling custom parts.
No Life Club Posts: 1,359
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 02:19:53 AM »
Look at this link.  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58768.msg1071366.html#msg1071366

I did a mod with a PST and PST II. You can get the wrenches to take the older models apart from Loki_mobile, the same inmate that supplies parts.

With the PST II I removed the blade and added an awl from a PST and the tool worked perfectly for a camp the kids went on. The PST I modded, I replaced the blade with a SOG saw. That mod needed a little bit of metal removed from the saw to make it fit. Both tool are still working well and no issued with the law.

Cheers, Pete

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 04:39:34 AM »
I am leaning towards the bladeless Rebar. While I can hear the Multitool 300 calling me, at 9.6 ounces it seems a little big for EDC. I have a Gerber Multitool that I really like, but at 7.3 oz, I find myself reluctant to drop it in my pocket. Rebar is 6.7oz.

I was hoping that Leatherman had a tool geared more for mechanical/electrical users rather than sawing/cutting people. I was going to say, "Looking for the type of multitool that Klein might make if they made one"...but then I googled "Klein" and "multitool" and voila! There it is. Only the Klein tool appears to be all blades and scant mech/elec. Picture of the Klein multitool is below. So much for that.

I'll probably sleep on this and order the bladeless Rebar tomorrow. Further thoughts?

Update: Just found this electrician's review of the MT300
http://bestmultitoolkit.com/guides/best-electrician-multi-tool-rated-based-customer-reviews/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:14:13 AM by portsample »
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »
Okay, finally-finally settled on two units. I am now the owner of a Rebar and a Supertool 300. I initially ordered the ST300 based on recommendations of tradesmen and how appropriate the features of this device are on the job site. Received a slightly used one via Ebay and fell in love with it. One solid unit. But man-oh-man is it heavy. Back to Ebay for one of this unit's little brother, the Rebar. Received it, and am impressed. The Rebar is a great off-duty, non-job site tool. I plan on making the Rebar my EDC when I am not on a job-site, and the ST300 when I am. One confession: I did my warranty return for an EOD ST300. I was infatuated with the removable T-blade, and the C4 pick. I was thinking that the latter might make a serviceable marlin spike, however the stem it threads on to is not designed for lateral stress and may not take the force used to work loose knots. The EOD is currently on Ebay for $85.

Finally, one aspect of the Rebar that I did not like is the spring closure. Mod for that in a separate post with an appropriate subject line.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:11:58 AM by portsample »
Newbie Posts: 6 Nerd and proud of it.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »
What was the issue with the ST300 EOD t-shank exchanger. I ask because it is a tool i am trying to source for my own "ultimate knifeless" multi-tool.
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2020, 06:21:15 AM »
No issue. I was just interested in selling the ST300 EOD and not having it's carcass around, so I elected to not strip the part out. That said, if a T-shank adapter became available for either the ST300, or the Rebar, I would definitely consider picking one up for each. The Rebar has become my daily carry due to it's lightweight and size.
Hero Member Posts: 872
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 08:37:49 PM »
I've tried many variations on bladeless tools, it would take too much time to find all of them. For stock though...there is only one The Leatherman Style PS.

The knifeless rebar is NOT bladeless, as it will not get though security with a saw in it.
No Life Club Posts: 2,162
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »
I am leaning towards the bladeless Rebar. While I can hear the Multitool 300 calling me, at 9.6 ounces it seems a little big for EDC. I have a Gerber Multitool that I really like, but at 7.3 oz, I find myself reluctant to drop it in my pocket. Rebar is 6.7oz.

I was hoping that Leatherman had a tool geared more for mechanical/electrical users rather than sawing/cutting people. I was going to say, "Looking for the type of multitool that Klein might make if they made one"...but then I googled "Klein" and "multitool" and voila! There it is. Only the Klein tool appears to be all blades and scant mech/elec. Picture of the Klein multitool is below. So much for that.

I'll probably sleep on this and order the bladeless Rebar tomorrow. Further thoughts?

Update: Just found this electrician's review of the MT300
http://bestmultitoolkit.com/guides/best-electrician-multi-tool-rated-based-customer-reviews/

This is what you need?  :P

Hero Member Posts: 995
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »
Nice one, Sam! :drool: :drool:  :drool:
 :tu:
Hero Member Posts: 502 MAJ/APA
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »
 :iagree: :tu:

LM: ALX/SLV/TTI, Blast, Core, Crunch, Flair, C2/CS4/KF4/PRO/S2/SC2/SX/XE6, Kick, Leap, Micra, Mini, MUT, OHT, P4, PS4, PST 1/2, Pulse, Rebar, Sideclip, Signal, Skele CX/RX, ST 200/300/EOD/M, Surge, Tread, Wave

GER: Balance, BearST, Cable Dawg, Center Drive/+, Crucial, Diesel, Dime, Fit, Flick, Grappler, Groundbreaker, MP1/400/600/650/700/800, MPT, Radius, Recoil, Steady

SOG: Paratool, Power Assist/Duo/Grab/Lock/Play/Plier, PPP, PT 510/525/540, Reactor, Switchplier 1/2

SAK: Autotool, SwissTool/RS/RT/XBS
Just Bananas Posts: 73,671
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »
Nice work  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $103.52
PayPal Fees: $6.31
Net Balance: $97.21