Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's Talk About The Signal

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Let's Talk About The Signal
on: February 10, 2020, 06:29:14 PM
I've been debating getting a Signal in Aqua to EDC as it has a fairly decent toolset. Those who own a Signal, what do you like and dislike about it, and would you EDC it? Discuss!
Last of the V8 Interceptors

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Let's Talk About The Signal
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:52:23 PM
This pass December was my sons birthday and he looked at a lot of tools, in the end he went with the Signal and is always talking positive things about it. Even yesterday when we had the grandsons birthday, he was praising it. He is the outdoor type and is always using it outdoors.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:55:55 AM
It is a cool edc tool.
Have a read here on my final thoughts after a 30 challenge.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,69091.msg1387813.html#msg1387813

Pete

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 03:14:49 AM
I really wish that they would have put a fold out replaceable ferro rod on there, similar to the punch on the MUT. That little thing on there now is basically worthless. Especially in cold and wet weather when you lose your fine motor skills.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 07:40:50 AM
  It's a good light-weight backup tool, but not as well thought out in two areas in my opinion: awl & missing full length file.

While it is slim enough to carry without much of a footprint, am not overly fond of the wide awl. Something more pointy for sewing into thick material would of been preferable to me. I'm an awl person, ever since having to repair boots out on the fire line.

Although I've not used the teeny ferrocerium striker yet, I would suggest using the can opener as the striker. Saw blade on mine, green with BO topo map is not sharp enough to be a decent scraper. You can stuff part of a waxed cotton ball under the finger-file for extra fire starting power, in case you was to get stuck or stranded on a hike or something.

Signal does lacks a serious file. That diamond dusted one is more of a gimmick, and read that it's to be used as a make-shift sharpener. Am sure Leatherman could of put a full length file on the other side of the saw, even if kept the other for knife sharpening . I'm so used to using the thumb to slide out a tool, and the Signal feels like there should be a file there instead of the wedged-down nothingness. :think:

Would of EDC'd the Signal if it had a full length, or so, file on board. Would of not gotten the Spirit X if it had that one missing tool. :D  Signal is nice, and does not take up a lot of room, and is slimmer than the other tools.
IMG_E5579.JPG
* IMG_E5579.JPG (Filesize: 202.17 KB)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:08:13 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:44:19 AM
  It's a good light-weight backup tool, but not as well thought out in two areas in my opinion: awl & missing full length file.

While it is slim enough to carry without much of a footprint, am not overly fond of the wide awl. Something more pointy for sewing into thick material would of been preferable to me. I'm an awl person, ever since having to repair boots out on the fire line.

Although I've not used the teeny ferrocerium striker yet, I would suggest using the can opener as the striker. Saw blade on mine, green with BO topo map is not sharp enough to be a decent scraper. You can stuff part of a waxed cotton ball under the finger-file for extra fire starting power, in case you was to get stuck or stranded on a hike or something.

Signal does lacks a serious file. That diamond dusted one is more of a gimmick, and read that it's to be used as a make-shift sharpener. Am sure Leatherman could of put a full length file on the other side of the saw, even if kept the other for knife sharpening . I'm so used to using the thumb to slide out a tool, and the Signal feels like there should be a file there instead of the wedged-down nothingness. :think:

Would of EDC'd the Signal if it had a full length, or so, file on board. Would of not gotten the Spirit X if it had that one missing tool. :D  Signal is nice, and does not take up a lot of room, and is slimmer than the other tools.

Love the colour!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 02:17:22 PM

Nice review and like your saying on the Signal.  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 01:54:03 AM
I spent a couple days poring over the Signal...  I thought it looks like a good backup pliers based MT if I would have one in the outdoors (which I wouldn't).  Its a good collection of tools I don't want to carry, or dont need to carry on my person when I'm in the outdoors. 

One of our friends on MTo pointed out that it doesn't really make sense for me to get a new tool that I will keep in my bag, so I didn't get one.

But heres what I liked about it:

- I like the look, for an outdoor MT
- I don't carry a serrated blade, but it could come in handy if it's the only one I have
- pliers, would be my only pair in the woods
- I definitely use a can opener in the woods, and dont need it in my pocket all the time - and I like the claw style.
- the ferro rod isnt great, but its a backup, the LM engineers admit that its softer so it is easy to use the one time you really need it. 
- I could use the saw on this one, rather than one of the SAKs that I actually happen to keep in my pack anyway (For just 4-5 years now, I pocket the Soldier in the woods, and pack something with a saw)

Just my thoughts... it looks like a good backup tool.  But in truth, backup tools arent worth it for me. 

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:03:55 AM
Ive contemplated getting a signal. I really thought it over but for the same price, I could get a Surge. I need a hefty tool more than an outdoorsy type.

But my Surge is good in both regards.  :whistle:

Id still like one, if I can find a used one.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 02:11:15 AM
The saw and Wave file are interchangeable. I prefer a file on a MT and replaced my saw with one. Ordered it from Loki and it was a straight drop in.

Pete
IMGP2936.JPG
* IMGP2936.JPG (Filesize: 146.45 KB)
IMGP2939.JPG
* IMGP2939.JPG (Filesize: 139.01 KB)

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 03:41:46 AM
Nice mod  :cheers:

Offline stugumby

Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 08:51:15 PM
the signal is a skeletool on steroids, designed for the minimalist outdoorsy types. has great pliers with replaceable cutters, good blade but in combo edge and the saw. 1 bit driver, can opener and an awl. it is usefull in a office/work environment, bit bigger than skeletool, and the small impact hammer surface can be handy. Tried mine as pocket clip carry for 2 weeks, bit bulky an for everything except the pliers i was always using a victorinox climber/explorer. the whislte and file are gimmicky. So if you like the skeletool thens its its big brother, like the wave and its less tools all around, for more money. If one could buy the carbide glass breaker bit that comes with the rescue skeletool it could make a passable emergency workers tool, especially with the hammer end. Kind of depends on what your individual needs are.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:40 AM
Being a devil advocate, I would not recommend Signal for any EDC task or folks even getting one for multitool use.  It started off advertised as a 'outdoor' tool(or even survival tool if I remembered correctly), which at the same price, folks could have gotten many quality items for outdoor purpose instead of this tool:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83526.msg2071034.html#msg2071034

Here was my initial review of the tool:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62841.0.html

Btw, the hammer end for tent stake?  One miss, you are in a world of hurt, and it showed how ill thought out this tool was. ::)

For EDC, there are just so many great LM or Victorinox MTs to choose from(Spirit, Wave+, Rebar, Crunch, ST), and I really do fail to see why this tool still command such high price besides being a novelty item.  Don't get me wrong, of more than 3 dozens LM tools I own, use and collect, I love most majority of them.  But Signal is that exception.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 04:08:50 PM
The Signal it's nor for me at all!
Limited on daily use tools.
Bulky
Expensive paid $100 for mine

I found other tools like the Rebar to be more useful for me.
Yo can buy a brand new Rebar for $40 in Ebay
I only wish they come with a pocket clip for it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-REBAR-Stainless-Steel-Multi-Tool-with-Leather-Sheath-B-91/293384739453?hash=item444f17da7d:g:tPcAAOSwCgNbq3i-
Enjoy!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 04:28:59 PM
The Signal is a neat tool.  I dont use the saw often enough so the Skeletool is a better option for me.  You are not going to pound in certain things with the hammer but its pretty nice to have.  I would say for me the Signal is not enough tool as compared to others and too much as compared to my Skele. 

Its a must however for the collection tho  :salute:.
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 11:48:34 AM
I only collect them but not use them  :hatsoff:
SIGNAL-1.jpg
* SIGNAL-1.jpg (Filesize: 104.52 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 03:20:16 PM
I only collect them but not use them  :hatsoff:
Thats ok, collecting them is fun!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 04:05:53 PM
I had quite a few pass thru my hands.  I should have kept a couple.  I did keep the green rei one which is very cool in person. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 07:06:25 AM
I did keep the green Rei one which is very cool in person.

That is the best looking one of them all!!!
IMGP4215.JPG
* IMGP4215.JPG (Filesize: 69.68 KB)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 07:14:26 AM

That's indeed is a cool looking color theme(wish they bring this to other major models of their lineup), congrats to Ivo for having this on collection too!

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: February 20, 2020, 03:17:40 PM
 :iagree: That would be the one I would pick out! That topo makes the whole tool!  :like: :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 20, 2020, 08:45:29 PM

:iagree:  The Topo looks cool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD