Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Things that others own, that you don't

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Things that others own, that you don't
on: February 12, 2020, 08:54:59 PM
I started thinking about this earlier for some reason...

I think it's fair to say that we tool carriers think differently to most people. We carry stuff that many others wouldn't, be that pliers, a light, or even some form of cutting tool. But what about the other way round? Is there stuff that most people own that you decided not to?

Here's a few from me

Dishwasher:
I am the dishwasher, and hand wash everything in the sink. I've never even used a dishwasher.

Television:
I got rid of mine in 2007, and don't miss it in the slightest. I went away for a few days last year, and there was a tele in the room. I did watch a little, wondering if it would make me want one again, but it just convinced me that getting rid was the right thing to do after all.

Car:
Can't drive for health reasons.

Bathroom scales:
Never owned any. I know I'm carrying about 10 kilos more than I should, but never felt the urge to have a needle or display mock me for it.

Others include, landline phone (use mobile only), Ipad or tablet (I use phone or laptop), toaster (had one, binned it), and shower (bath only here).

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Things that others own, that you don't
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:00:34 PM
Same as you when it comes to the television and dishwasher AW.  The rest will come in time :)
Barry

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:18:32 PM
This must be heresy! :D No dishwashers? It was once the very first thing I bought in a new empty apartment - before beds, couches or anything else. If I had it my ways we would have two dishwashers - so one wouldn't have to take out clean ones before putting in dirty ones...

I did go without TV for many years, and I still don't watch much. It is a devious time snatcher so I'm with Aimless there.

I don't use a smartphone which makes me look like a dinosaur these days. And somewhat in the same spirit I make it a point to just check email once or a few times per day - or not at all if I'm busy. (I just think it is very annoying to get in the zone and having a good flow and then something peeps or disturbs. Totally messes up my focus and productivity).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 11:00:25 PM
A few things I’m pleased I don’t have:

- Facebook account
- Golf clubs
- My family car stickers
- False teeth
- Selfie stick
- Drone

I guess you can tell as much about someone for what they don’t have as opposed to what they have?  :dunno:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:11:28 AM
I can't imagine only taking a bath and never a shower, I shower and never take a bath, maybe once in the last 20 years, how do you get the shampoo out of your hair? What century is this , I don't understand  :think:  :rofl:

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:47:45 AM
Things that others own that I don't:

Money
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:54:07 AM
Things I do not own:

A boat
A good mattress
A pair of shoes

I wear boots year round...or if Im camping, flip flops.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 07:19:33 AM
Firstly, this thread makes me like you guys more  :rofl:  :salute:

Just a disclaimer, I'm a confirmed bachelor, so rolling stones and all that  :facepalm:

Furniture - I believe a bed, a sleeper couch and three bar stools don't count  :whistle:

Dishwasher - never even considered it.

TV - I've never bought a TV because I refuse to buy a TV license, but I do use a PC/internet/media player like a TV.  I believe that fact that everything is watched on my schedule makes it different from traditional TV

A few things I’m pleased I don’t have:

- Facebook account
- Golf clubs
- My family car stickers
- False teeth
- Selfie stick
- Drone

I guess you can tell as much about someone for what they don’t have as opposed to what they have?  :dunno:

I just need to, and badly want to.....close my faceballs profile, and I'll be with you  :cheers:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 08:18:53 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn’t poking fun at aimless, just can’t figure out how you would rinse shampoo off without a shower head, I wouldn’t want to dunk my clean hair in the man soup I just cooked up, and the bathtub spigot is too low, so was just curious  ???

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:56 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn%u2019t poking fun at aimless, just can%u2019t figure out how you would rinse shampoo off without a shower head, I wouldn%u2019t want to dunk my clean hair in the man soup I just cooked up, and the bathtub spigot is too low, so was just curious  ???
Lots of baths here have a (weak!) shower head line connected to the bath 'spigot'. You turn on the tap, and turn a knob, and the water (hopefully) comes out the showerhead, rather than the spigot. Useless tiny flow for showering, but it suffices for rinsing. :D

-Sent from my Nokia using the mobile MTO website.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 10:12:56 AM
Smartphone. Hope to never have to own one, I loathe the things.
A house. Always been in an apartment since I left home as a teenager.
TV. Never had, never will.
Truck, 4X4 or crossover. I live in the city and drive on highways, there's simply no reason for them here.
A wage. I'm unemployed right now.
Dishwasher. Expense and kitchen space which we can't begin to afford.
A garden. See above, I would love one though.
A Shed. Would kill for a shed!
Garage. Ditto above!

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:06 AM
Just to be clear, I wasn’t poking fun at aimless, just can’t figure out how you would rinse shampoo off without a shower head, I wouldn’t want to dunk my clean hair in the man soup I just cooked up, and the bathtub spigot is too low, so was just curious  ???

When I was a kid and we only had a bath back in the UK, we used to have very large plastic cups which we would fill then pour over our heads to rinse the suds out.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:55 AM
Lots of baths here have a (weak!) shower head line connected to the bath 'spigot'. You turn on the tap, and turn a knob, and the water (hopefully) comes out the showerhead, rather than the spigot. Useless tiny flow for showering, but it suffices for rinsing. :D

-Sent from my Nokia using the mobile MTO website.

When I was a kid and we only had a bath back in the UK, we used to have very large plastic cups which we would fill then pour over our heads to rinse the suds out.

Gotcha, for some reason, I was picturing a giant ladle :rofl: Nothing beats a nice hot shower tho, too bad not everyone can experience it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 11:22:29 AM
Gotcha, for some reason, I was picturing a giant ladle :rofl:
No, that's what we Irish use.

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 11:28:06 AM
... just can’t figure out how you would rinse shampoo off without a shower head, I wouldn’t want to dunk my clean hair in the man soup I just cooked up, and the bathtub spigot is too low, so was just curious  ???
You wash your hair before anything else.  :tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 11:44:59 AM
No, that's what we Irish use.

We do ?

Show us pics of this ladle Pabs
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 11:45:11 AM
I can't imagine only taking a bath and never a shower, I shower and never take a bath, maybe once in the last 20 years, how do you get the shampoo out of your hair? What century is this , I don't understand  :think:  :rofl:
Bath = making human soup  :facepalm:

You wash your hair before anything else.  :tu:

Like THAT helps  :facepalm:

:rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 12:01:14 PM
We do ?

Show us pics of this ladle Pabs
Well, the posh boy down the road said he used a ladle. :shrug:
We didn't have such fancy things (wooden spoons only) so we had to make do with a pot.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 12:16:36 PM
Well, the posh boy down the road said he used a ladle. :shrug:
We didn't have such fancy things (wooden spoons only) so we had to make do with a pot.
(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah that's more like it
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 01:46:52 PM
Ok, if there ever was a thread designed to make me feel excluded...it is this one.  :facepalm:  :D

Just joking. I have been rather blessed in life, and the only thing I do not have is a cottage or camp. Never wanted one of those mind you. With that said, my first car was bought in my 30s as I couldn't afford one of those until then. So If I was younger, I might have added a car to this list.

As for that dishwasher, I couldn't live without it. I absolutely hate washing dishes by hand. On the subject of bathing/showering. I am a shower enthusiast. I never liked bathing in a bathtub...even though that is exactly what my house has. It is a shower/bathtub combo. If I had my way, I would excise the bathtub and install a dedicated shower. I just haven't seen the need to do so yet.  :think:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 03:01:23 PM
I would excise the bathtub and install a dedicated shower. I just haven't seen the need to do so yet.  :think:
Do it!  :pok:
 :rofl:
I'm taller than average, between all my rented accommodations through the years, this is only the second one where the shower head is not lower than my head  :facepalm:

Locally most people shower simply because baths generally speaking  use much more water, and we're almost out.....

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:11 PM
I still have a good foot above me to the shower head.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 03:15:48 PM
Threads like these are interesting.  The fact that we all come from such different regions and background makes it more so. 

Just from the thread title I'll have to think.  Facelessbook I wouldn't consider since I was thinking more along the lines of "possessions"  :dunno:.  I don't have FB. 

:think: gonna have to think on this. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 03:31:47 PM

I have a jug. However, despite having long hair, I don't use shampoo. I stopped using shampoo a couple of years ago, and finally stopped getting sores on my scalp which have plagued me for years. My hair is better for it too. I tend to just water rinse, but occasionally use chamomile tea. If my hair gets really grotty, I "shampoo" with a raw egg, then rinse with room temperature water. NEVER use warm or hot water when washing your hair with egg, as you end up with "omelette head" and then you do need shampoo!

I always have a bottle of clarifying shampoo here (Vosene), but it gets used more on my shaving brush, than it does on my head.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:38:23 PM by AimlessWanderer »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 03:34:36 PM
Oh, and I have to agree with Facebook too. I don't use any stalker media (aka social media, but from what I've seen, it isn't very social)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 03:47:16 PM
I don't see this as a necessity but many have air-conditioning which I don't have.  I don't own the newest phone, mine is a hand me down iphone5.  This may not count tho as its still a smartish phone. 

I've never thought about this before.  I feel very fortunate and rarely look at others stuff.  Sounds strange as I'm here on MTO which I love looking at your stuff  :rofl:.  We live a pretty simplistic life.  I buy nearly all my clothing at resale shops, except undergarments ( socks, t shirts, etc ).  All household items are from previous purchases.  2010 vehicle. 

I dont have a retirement account, 401K, pension, etc.  I've never had enough money to fund one. 

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:02:04 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:19 PM
I don't own the newest phone, mine is a hand me down iphone5.  This may not count tho as its still a smartish phone. 
It has more computing power than the moon landing rocket computers. :P
(A phone charger also has more computing power, but I digress)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: February 13, 2020, 04:00:08 PM
Well all be darned!!!  LOOK AT ME  :cheers:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #28 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:25 PM
No car, haven't driven since 08 because of medical, and the wife being from city(philly) never learned to drive, then can her medical, but our older son got his car and soon our younger son will be getting his car, will be great to have some type of transportation,,
No dishwasher, we had one at our old apartment but never used it, so the one we have now is older then me, the wife, lol..
No computer, we used to have two, the Mrs had hers and I had my laptop, but they got old and hers crashed, the kid does have a comp, but that’s his for gaming and school,
I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think of any,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 13, 2020, 06:13:16 PM

I dont have a retirement account, 401K, pension, etc.  I've never had enough money to fund one. 

As someone without a large pension or savings but still having an element of state funded stuff (thanks you taxes) and some work mandated pension stuff, do you mind if I ask, what are you going to do when you're having to slow down on the work front due to age?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%