Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is this Scientist authentic?

us Offline jph_777

Is this Scientist authentic?
on: March 08, 2020, 09:58:58 PM
The threads concerning fake SAKs have been interesting, and made me realize how vulnerable a lot of us are (me) in buying SAKs online, such as the big auction site.  I bought this Scientist on the site last year for what seemed like a reasonable price.  Is there a way to tell if it is authentic?  What about if it is a mod?  If I pulled the scales off, I would be able to tell if it was a mod, but I don't want to do that if it is authentic, as it will harm it value-wise.  Hmmmmm.  I would appreciate any comments from anyone more knowledgeable than I am.  Here are some photos of it.  You can click on these photos to see a larger size photo.
IMG_4848.jpg
* IMG_4848.jpg (Filesize: 291.35 KB)
IMG_4849.jpg
* IMG_4849.jpg (Filesize: 320.99 KB)

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Re: Is this Scientist authentic?
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 10:15:43 PM
This is authentic  :tu: Enjoy four find!  :hatsoff:

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:38 PM
I’d say it’s just a very clean, original Scientist.  :like:

Any old, dry oil present? Is the snap ‘soft’ like some NOS gets from gummy oil? How’s the blade wiggle? Amateur modders (myself included) often get the tightness wrong after peening.

Take a loupe and inspect the edge where the Cellidor and outer scales meet. Are there gaps? Are there any knocks or scratches that don’t line up across both, as you’d expect with an original old SAK?
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline jph_777

Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:46:59 PM
Thanks for the replies so far ddogu and Max.  Max, regarding dry oil, I don't remember, as I always clean and lube any new knife right away.  The snap is excellent on all the tools.  No blade wiggle.  No gaps between the outer liners and the Cellidor scales.  No knocks or scratches that are significant.  I guess I got pretty lucky!

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:17:35 PM
Enjoy! I’ll have to make my own...  :whistle:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 04:47:50 PM
I don’t see any details that suggest a fake. I’d have to have the knife in hand or very very detailed pics to spot any tells of a good build/mod.

Odds are that it’s real. Since the parts look clean, I don’t see how any modder could make money by building fake scientists. Mint donors required for s build aren’t cheap. So I suggest you don’t worry about it and enjoy the knife you have.

For anybody who wants to guarantee a real one, the only ones to buy are MIB with the correct label. They’re still available and not really that rare IMO. I don’t own one and haven’t built any and have no plans to do either.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline jph_777

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 07:05:21 PM
Thanks Kamakiri.  I agree that it would be tough to mod a new looking one and make money at the price I paid.  I was actually thinking of modding one when I ran across this one for sale.  A quick calculation showed me that I'd be better off buying this one than doing a mod with mint donors, even if it was going to be a user.  (Once I got it, however, I decided not to use it as I saw other scientists going for a lot more money... still trying to figure that one out.)

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 02:28:00 AM
Looks completely legit to me too, jph.  I have four of these and can't spot any irregularities.  Yours looks to be one of the later productions as it has the straight pin scales. 

Congrats on your find!

Edit to add a link to the Scientist Club thread, which you should now definitely join!        :)

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,77658.0.html

Edit to my edit: I see you're already a member with this very knife!  Double congrats!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:46:40 AM by Myron »

us Offline jph_777

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 06:38:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Myron.   :salute:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 01:39:54 AM
I don’t see any details that suggest a fake. I’d have to have the knife in hand or very very detailed pics to spot any tells of a good build/mod.

:iagree:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD