Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Modular Hip Bag 2 (pic heavy)

de Offline Thehunt

Who does not know it, the fanny pack.
I prefer backpacks for EDC as I´m prone to get trouble with my shoulder when using sling bags. The uneven load gets me.

But sometimes even a small backpack is too big. A reasonable hip bag/fammy pack can be the solution.
And this is where the Modular Hip Bag 2 from Tasmanian Tiger comes into play. With its nominal 5 liters, it's just right to accommodate a basic EDC.

The hard facts (in proper metric system):
- 700 den Cordura
- 35 x 16 x 6 cm
- 245 grams
- 5 liters

This is what the MHB looks like.
First thing I noticed is the secured buckle.

Accidental release or unnoticed pilfering is impossible here, since in addition to the two wings, you also have to lift a nose to release the buckle.
Almost as secure as the PacSafe bags, but lighter (and cheaper). Sure, if a thief gets practical, meaning he simply cuts the belt, then the buckle helps you nothing, but in the crowd (when Corona is over) it gives peace of mind.
Likewise, the three quality zippers are from YKK. Robust and easy to grip.

If desired, you can remove the strap completely and clip the body of the bag to a backpack, battle belt, plate carrier or similar.

On the lid compartment is one row of Lasercut Molle, I mounted a TT Tool Pouch, inside is a Leatherman SuperTool 300.
Also in the picture, the belly-side zipper pocket, equipped with spare FFP2, part of our EDC´s more the better part of a year now...

On the front, there is a bellowed pocket closed with Velcro, which is equipped with the Tasmanian Tiger First Aid Mini, RATS Tourniquet and Wet Wipes. Behind the bellowed pocket is another zippered compartment, this is where my wet wipes are stored.

Elastic loops are sewn to the lid itself, slim Zebra Pens and Fisher PacePens, pencils, or something similar will fit, as the loops are a bit on the smaller side.

And that brings us to the main compartment, which also has elastic loops, but they are slightly larger.

Here's a closer view:

We'll get to the contents in a moment, first a look at the empty compartment:

Here we see Hook-n-Loop Molle, very practical and as the name implies, modular expandable.

About the content:
Who packs well, has more from life. This is also the case here.

From the first aid kit with Israeli bandage and RATS on to the 1 liter Platypus to the SuperTool with Cobra Knipex, Fenix flashlight including glass breaker on the pen (by the way, the sillcockkey is in use with my wife right now, she moves with her office) to the folding backpack for spontaneous shopping, it all fits.

There is some room left still, keys and odds and ends could be additionally accommodated.
For me, however, this is optimal and not too heavy.

While we are at it ...
How do you look with fanny pack actually, can you do that?
Is that possible?
Are the 90s calling?

Who cares....

If push comes to shove: I just draw my mask, then no one sees when I stick out my tongue....

As always, if you have any questions, just ask!

And Happy Easter!
M

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Modular Hip Bag 2 (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:09:25 PM
Great review and looks like a nice bag!

This is the first time I've actually looked at the company, wow their stuff is really affordable, especially for tactical stuff in the UK!

They even call it a bumbag in the UK site :hatsoff:

So thanks for adding yet more items to my to buy list!

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: First Look: Tasmanian Tiger Modular Hip Bag 2 (pic heavy)
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 04:10:39 AM
Thanks for your review!  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69