Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Topeak Burrito bicycle tool roll fun time!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Topeak Burrito bicycle tool roll fun time!
on: April 25, 2021, 10:16:16 AM
This is about a bicycle-specific tool roll, so it was kind of a toss-up between here and The Outdoor and Survival Forum.

Most of my life, I've lived in places in which you either bring your own bicycle repair gear with you, or you walk a long way home. It could be hours before someone conveniently drives by. Sure, I could use a cellphone to call for help, but how embarrassing would that be? (Though some people don't seem to mind calling for help, so maybe I'm the problem.)

My old seat bag wore out ages ago, so I was just throwing my things in a backpack. This works, except sometimes I don't want to wear a backpack, and it's easier to get out the door for a ride if all my tools are already on the bike and ready to go. At the depths to which my level of fitness dropped over the last year, anything I could do to make getting out the door easier is a win. After some digging around online, I found this:

What could something like this possibly be called?

This is the Topeak Burrito! Instead of a seat bag, it's a tool roll. It attaches under my saddle via a very beefy velcro strap.

Left: When the velcro strap is open, two elastic loops keep the roll...rolled.     Right: It can be strapped basically anywhere, I suppose, but saddle rails are my preference.

On the one hand, because it rolls up instead of having the usual zipper, I can't open it without removing it from the saddle. On the other hand, once I cinch up the velcro strap, nothing in that bag is going to be rattling or shifting during a ride; it's all packed tightly together.

Now, here's where internet reviews failed me: what fits? There are few decent reviews out there, so I was taking a bit of a gamble ordering it. But here it is, holding everything I want and need, so quelle surprise!

Note the three organization pockets. The rightmost pocket also has elastic loops for skinny items like CO2 cartridges.

If I wanted a mountain bike tube in there, I'd have to perform some triage, or things would be awfully tight. As is, I have plenty of room. Some people need more or less space, but this is a great size for me.

• Topeak Hexus II multitool (not out of brand loyalty as such — I do like it, though!)
  • Knipex Cobra XS (no square bolts on my bikes, but sometimes a cable needs persuading)
  • Pre-glued patches (just in case I flat my spare — otherwise, I use a vulcanizing patch kit at home)
  • Pinhead locking skewer key (I doubt anyone's stealing my cheap wheels, but let's not find out!)
  • Blackburn Central 50 red rear light (in case I get surprised by a nighttime)
  • Giant Recon HL 100 white front light (you can see a charging cable for the lights hiding in there, but if I need to charge them before I get where I'm going, I dun goofed)
  • The two halves of my Giant Control mini pump (it also uses CO2 cartridges, but I don't carry those)
  • A regular and boring 700x23 inner tube (which will work well enough in my 700x28 or 700x25 tires)

I've been using my Burrito for three weeks, and I'm really impressed with it. Apart from anything else, it has the greatest name.

Pros:
  • No rattling or shifting during rides!
  • Fits a surprising amount of stuff, and keeps it nicely organized!
  • Secure attachment (should work with dropper posts, or silly things like those proprietary Giant D-Fuse posts!)
Cons:
  • Can't access contents without removing it from the bike.
  • No attachment point for a rear light (if internet reviews are any indication, this is a big deal.)
  • Really meant more for CO2 cartridges than pumps (unless you happen to have a very compact pump.)

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Topeak Burrito bicycle tool roll fun time!
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
Interesting setup.
I think my bike multitool is a Hexus II too.  :tu:

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:07:36 PM
"Hexus II too" made me chuckle.
Nice review.  I can see where it could be handy, but I’d probably stick with a tail bag.

I usually attach the pump to my frame alongside the water bottle holder using same attachment

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 09:43:56 PM
Nice review.  I can see where it could be handy, but I’d probably stick with a tail bag.

I usually attach the pump to my frame alongside the water bottle holder using same attachment
That's very reasonable. This is definitely my bare-bones get-me-home kit. My mountain bike has a larger seat bag, and a larger frame pump.
Since my new roadie runs at 70-80psi, a mini pump is more effective than it is for my old 120psi road bike. We'll see if I live to regret it.

I really need to get that MTB seat bag loaded up — it's not like I don't have extra bike stuff lying around.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:19:29 PM
"Hexus II too" made me chuckle.
Yeah and I nearly put "as well" instead as I wasn't sure which was better. It certainly runs the risk of inviting a Dbad joke.

I attach a pump to the frame as well.

It looks like it detaches easily? IMO a good feature if you need to leave your bike somewhere (eg outside a shop) and don't want to leave your tools to be stolen.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 11:06:30 PM
It looks like it detaches easily? IMO a good feature if you need to leave your bike somewhere (eg outside a shop) and don't want to leave your tools to be stolen.
It goes on and comes off very easily, which is great when I'm visiting friends in nearby actual cities.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%