Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I guess I'm just different... 1744

Hero Member Posts: 910 Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
I guess I'm just different...
« on: February 23, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
I am curious. Is there a particular knife brand or style that seems to be loved by the masses, but you just don't really see the appeal? How about other knife and multitool related things that just don't seem to check the boxes for you.

I will share a few of mine:

1. Mora type knives - I have never really been a fan. I know many outdoorsmen that are crazy about them, but I am not really one of them.

2. Fallkniven knives - I was super excited to get my hands on one, but when I did, I traded it pretty quick.

3. Convex grind - I am pretty happy with my standard stone sharpened blades. I know everything I read says the convex grind is the cat's pajamas, but I have never really liked the feel of convex edges during cutting. I do have a convex edge on my hatchet, and it seems to work just fine for that.

4. Stropped edge - The only stropped blades I really seem to like is on my straight razors, but on the rest of my knives, I like a bit of a toothy edge. My buddy can't understand why I feel that way...he cannot stand an edge that is not stropped to a mirror finish.

I would like to hear from others about their preferences. Please do not begin a flame war over another person's preferences or if they say that a particular knife is not one they like. I know we all like to defend our choices, but this thread is just about personal views. Thank you.

Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,799
Re: I guess I'm just different...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
It's the Spyderco ones that do not attract me.
But everyone seems to like them.
Although, I never handled one yet  :dunno:

Formerly known as MTMatt
No Life Club Posts: 4,360
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 05:06:48 PM »

:iagree: Even though they are produced in Colorado, I just do not see the appeal. Don't like the way they look at all  :dunno:

Also want to add Buck or Case knives.
Full Member Posts: 211 Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Also want to add Buck or Case knives.

Same here. I have never been a fan of "traditional" knives but that might be because my grandfathers are from Europe and carried SAKs/brought their kids up to carry SAKs.

There are a few Spydercos that I like but they are all on the small end of their series with less than 2.5 inch blades. I have never understood the need for all the 4+ inch length blades that people seem to sport as an EDC.

For Mora knives, I love them for what they are. Good for camping but they stay in my trailer/backpack. I never use them around the house/yard and I don't own any of the more expensive "bushcrafting" styles. The ~$12-18 knives work just great and I have several blade styles to use in my woodcarving hobby.

There is also all the garish colors that knife handles come in these days. I have always been a plain stonewashed titanium kinda guy. No flash, just light and durable.  The Alox SAK are the only knives where I try to collect several colors but I still lean towards the darker colors. The 2015 series blue was perfect.

Work EDC: Vic 8GB Jetsetter/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod/Olight I1R EOS/Atwood R25

Weekend EDC: LM Free T4 or Vic Delemont S18 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS/ Atwood R37Pry

Neatest items in collection: Full Wenger Titanium Series, Vic Voyaguer, 84mm Golfer with Long Nailfile, Several Atwoods.

These days I focus on 84mm with Scissors, odd Wenger Knives, and bladeless versions of SAKs so I can carry them at work. Oh, and oddball Pharmacy/Medical Ad Classics.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 05:46:15 PM »
I wish I liked Spyderco more. The steel choices they offer are pretty cool. I also like the Compression Lock...it seems solid. A friend of mine loves Spyderco knives but I just cannot get down with the blade shape on many of them.

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,513 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
Locking blades. I can tolerate some liner locks, but much prefer non-locking. I dislike Buck 110 style backlocks with a passion.

93mm and 84mm alox handles. I can't abide the feel. I'm OK with the 58mm.

Boker Subcom. I don't know what it is about that, but am thoroughly repulsed by it. Knives aren't supposed to be that shape.

Anything tacticool, especially anything with camo on it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,888
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
Uhm...
Flipper knives!

Probably because they're very frowned upon here so it would be just catching dust in a cupboard.

Apart from that... Open to everything and anything :D

Buy now or regret later
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,886 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
Locking blades. I can tolerate some liner locks, but much prefer non-locking. I dislike Buck 110 style backlocks with a passion.

93mm and 84mm alox handles. I can't abide the feel. I'm OK with the 58mm.

Boker Subcom. I don't know what it is about that, but am thoroughly repulsed by it. Knives aren't supposed to be that shape.

Anything tacticool, especially anything with camo on it.
Boker Subcom! Can't imagine they are confortable in the hand.

Also carambits. Are they at all useful as a tool? Are they a weapon? They look (to me) really odd in anyones hand except a Klingons.

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

'Derail a thread and we'll come at you like a block of cheese'. Captain Mags and Sergeant Fuzzbucket of the Anti Derai.... mmmmmmm cheese
No Life Club Posts: 1,075
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
There's things that just don't suit me - large tacticool flippers, for example

Then there's things that I find ... Unappealing.

Large/deep modern folders the shape of ZT knives (as an example). The ones with a profile of a sunfish or a flounder.  I don't like ladybugs, or Ueli Steck's Wenger  :-\.  There's something I do like about a traditional elephants toenail knife, I'm not sure.

Heavy duty pliers-forward MTs like the Leatherman Crunch.  They used to make those monkey wrenches with blade and driver's folded into the handle. I used work with a guy who had one ... I never liked those, but I doubt anyone else did either.  The Crunch just looks like too much tool for an EDC.

108mm SAKs - despite their history, the handles just don't appeal to me. I'm a die-hard fan of everything else SAK.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,888
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »

Also carambits. Are they at all useful as a tool? Are they a weapon? They look (to me) really odd in anyones hand except a Klingons.

True! I do find it intriguing to see someone flip one around their fingers without losing one or 2 though...

Buy now or regret later
Sr. Member Posts: 365 Average Old Guy.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 08:37:32 PM »

Me too.  For some reason I just can't stand the look of them.
Same here. I have never been a fan of "traditional" knives but that might be because my grandfathers are from Europe and carried SAKs/brought their kids up to carry SAKs.

I prefer a good traditional knife.  Carried a whittler for years but I'm using large (4+ inches) these days.

There is also all the garish colors that knife handles come in these days.

True, unless someone is afraid of loosing a knife, colors don't belong.
The only color I want is yellow comp.  Wood, antler, natural micarta is all that's needed.

I can't imagine even trying to sharpen a carambit.
Ugh.

Addicted to sharp pointy things.
No Life Club Posts: 1,404
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 04:28:13 AM »
Camo knives/tools - You know what would be great?  Having a knife that blends in with the grass/leaves/forest floor whenever someone drops it.  That would be super handy.  Oh wait... :facepalm:

Coated or painted knives/tools - If it's a user, the coating/paint will inevitably start to wear/peel/chip.  I know some people love that worn look, but, like torn jeans or distressed furniture, it just looks like crap to me.

Non-stainless knives - I just want functional knives that don't require constant cleaning and wiping with oil to keep the rust monster at bay.
No Life Club Posts: 2,214
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 06:26:03 AM »
Camo knives/tools - You know what would be great?  Having a knife that blends in with the grass/leaves/forest floor whenever someone drops it.  That would be super handy.  Oh wait... :facepalm:

So true. It's why I bought an orange SAK Farmer and a whole lot of my outdoor gear is orange for the same reason. When I used paracord it was orange. Black or grey in twilight when walking around your setup is almost guaranteed to have your friends laughing at you. :)

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 06:28:21 AM »
My personal one is EDC blades 3"> for the urban dweller. Unless it's a work knife, why on earth would you need that much blade? I suppose it's all part of the whole tacticool thing which has given the EDC carry of a knife such a bad rap.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,567
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »
Scandivex -- never quite fully understand what this grind is, I've read that true scandi grind is not easy to make, and I much rather people just call it a convex instead of pretending it is a scandi grind.

Big choil on a small knife -- I can understand if it is on a big 9-10" chopper knife, people want to 'choke' up the blade to have better control and balance.  But for a 3-4" knife, why do we still need that big choil?

Rope-cutting edge retention test for outdoor knives -- I always think outdoor knives should be a balance of toughness and edge retention, but why do people still keep on cutting card board or ropes for outdoor fixed blade? 

Join us! MTO Unleashed Challenge in June
Free Magnets! Nessmuk Challenge in Sept
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,513 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:47 PM »
Rope-cutting edge retention test for outdoor knives -- I always think outdoor knives should be a balance of toughness and edge retention, but why do people still keep on cutting card board or ropes for outdoor fixed blade?

Agreed! And I'll sacrifice some edge retention for ease of sharpening too.

So add anything that needs special sharpening kit to my "bah humbug" list too, or that's prone to chipping. I've never really been left wanting with standard knife steels.

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
Oh, another one for the grumpy list - pocket clips that aren't deep carry. I don't want my knife popping out like a meercat!  ::)

Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,886 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
Much as I love Victorinox, the ltd eds they bring out of the same alox models year after year smacks of manipulation and greed (imo). I guess this is late stage capitalism in action - selling people the same stuff they don't need for a higher price.

This is just my opinion and not intended to disparage those folks who love collecting them. To you I offer my thanks for keeping Victorinox viable  :cheers:

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

'Derail a thread and we'll come at you like a block of cheese'. Captain Mags and Sergeant Fuzzbucket of the Anti Derai.... mmmmmmm cheese
No Life Club Posts: 3,832
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:28 PM »

Them's fighting words......... :pok:
 :rofl:
Believe me, once you get it, you'll get it  :salute:
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,337
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
Threads like this are very interesting in a good way.  I for one like to hear all the different preferences and thought as to why.

I might just be too easy  :-[.  I am curious by nature and while I have preferences, I am not opposed to try things.  I'll keep my list things I like but wouldn't use. 

Gerber tools.  While I have one of the older polished versions ( Mr Pinchy ) with scissors it was never bought to be a user.  I really like the looks of the older Gerber but thats about it.  I had a MP400 but was not my cup of tea.  They are cool but not tools I use. 

Large folders.  I sure love the looks but a blade less that 4 inches, closer to 3 is more my speed.  I like a Delica size knife but use my Dragonfly2 more.

CnC/Cheap and Cheerful.  Lesser known or off brands are something I don't buy or use anymore.  I know there are wonderful brands out there outside the big names.  I read here about such brand doing a good job.  I've had 2 MTs in the past that were not the big names and real performers. 

Esse Quam Videri
Global Moderator Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,483
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 04:07:25 PM »
Serrated blades, I've never liked them.  I've been put off buying a few multi's because they have a half serrated blade on them.
No Life Club Posts: 1,434
I guess I'm just different...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
I too fall into the no spydies group. Just don’t feel right in my hand. And along with ElevenBlade, the ZT knives make me raise an eye brow. But different strokes for different folks ya know.

Serrated blades, I've never liked them.  I've been put off buying a few multi's because they have a half serrated blade on them.
I am definitely behind this. If it’s going to be serrated, it has to be a dedicated blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:34:02 PM by BClogic »

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.
No Life Club Posts: 3,865
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »
My opinion on camo--not only does it make the knife more likely to disappear; the hydro-dip process used in many hunting camo patterns will start wearing the first day you carry the knife. I had a Buck that looked rough after just a week of carry.  Also noticed the handles on those knives are slicker than those that are just plain black. .

Moras are good beaters. The majority of my fixed blades are from them, and they get used for basically anything. They are more than what you pay for, but just feel like they cost--cheap.  I am getting more into Western knives; TOPS, ESSE, and Finnish puukos from cutlers over there. And even custom makers like Barry Dawson and Ray Kirk.

Assisted opening. They take far more effort to actually open compared to a bearing folder.

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
WOW! Some great responses. There are some knife types mentioned that I love, but can definitely see where personal preferences can make a certain knife undesirable,

I also want to applaud our group here. I can tell you, there are A LOT of sites out there that would have been in a flame war by now.

Added to my list:

Yep, cannot do serrated blades. I do not care how eye catching a knife might be...I will pass on anything with serrations.

Also, certain blade or knife shapes turn me away quickly. American tanto blades are an example. I am also not a big fan of liner locks or frame locks.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »

I also want to applaud our group here. I can tell you, there are A LOT of sites out there that would have been in a flame war by now.

I can just imagine this thread on a certain blade centred forum. The pitchforks would have been locked and loaded going in.  :rofl: :rofl:

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »
Add me to the no liner lock for dedicated knives.  I realize my MT has them but it is what it is.

Its hard for me to understand why a thread like this can get heated?  If I like red heads why does anyone want me to like something else?  I've said many times before that I enjoy a lively discussion, so please discuss.  To berate someone is beyond my ability to understand ( or want to )  :think:.     

I drove a Chevy and others seemed to always want to say something.  I drove a Honda and same.  Now I drive a Toyota and still.  My response is always, you are welcome to buy me what you feel is best or hand me the keys to your awesome vehicle. 

Same goes for gear.  Please send me anything you feel is the most awesome that I must have because all my choices are so stupid.  I am happy to accept any gear you feel you must berate others for not owning.  Sometimes I wonder if people are getting paid for such passionate reactions? 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2020, 05:57:44 PM »
Oh, another one for the grumpy list - pocket clips that aren't deep carry. I don't want my knife popping out like a meercat!  ::)

I was going to mention that myself - I don't like pocket clips in general, but two things underly that opinion:
- pocket clips are enough to have you searched by law enforcement in some jurisdictions  (one of which I frequent)
- I have lost a favorite knife that now sells for nearly $200 because the clip wasn't deep carry.  It wasn't as expensive when I got it, but it's since discontinued.  I know exactly where I was when I lost it, retraced my steps, and never recovered it.  It had a tendency to pop up.. it would have been safer inside the pocket. 
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

I've started to question that - specifically for the Vic OHT.  Several months ago I got a Vic utility knife for the kitchen... and... wow.. is that thing remarkably sharp. 
If the serrated OHT is that sharp, (and I didn't already have a NS-OHT) I would consider getting it and reserving the serrations for appropriate tasks (I never understand why people make feather sticks with their serrated blades)
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 06:11:01 PM »
Combo blade not a fan of.  Fully serrated blades  :tu:.  I've got a Native and Jumpmaster and man these blades dont disappoint.  You know, I have to back slide a bit.  The butter blade on the Spirit is stellar. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »
I'm with Aloha. I don't mind serrations, I just prefer them to be separate from my plain blade, and not dumped in the section of blade I want to sharpen a pencil with.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $111.66
PayPal Fees: $6.95
Net Balance: $104.71
Below Goal: $195.29
Site Currency: USD