Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I always take gear with me. 920

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,691
I always take gear with me.
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
Search Elderly Couple Missing Since Valentine’s Day Found Alive In California Forest.

I am reminded even tho I will only be out for a short hike/walk to always take some gear with me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:11:39 PM by Aloha »

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,515 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: I always take gear with me.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »
Site not available to European readers, as they have no data protection.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »
Thank you.  I am not sure which link to provide so I've added search topic.  I do hope this helps. 
Carol Kiparsky, 77, and Ian Irwin, 72 are their names. 

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 13,948
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »
Knife, light, lighter, phone, wallet :D

Buy now or regret later
No Life Club Posts: 4,630
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 09:09:48 PM »
In the article i found it said that phone and wallet were found in their cabin, and that they had been unprepared for a long hike and dropping temperatures.  :dunno:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »
I am hard pressed to not bring a light when I leave for the day.  I live in a suburban concrete master planned community with strip mall upon strip mall but a light is mandatory when I leave home.  I always bring a lighter when going on any jaunt long or short in distance and time. 

I am glad they survived but a little preparation before heading.............   guess it doesn't matter as they are safe.

As for me, I'm with Mechy.   

Esse Quam Videri
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,515 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »
I always have something useful on me, and always check the weather forecast if going beyond a few mins walking distance of my house

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:58 PM »
And I'm with you Aloha :D

My Olight S1R is extremely compact, but I lost count of the times it lit up a dark walking path, parking lot or bottom side of a couch.

Even when I'm not expecting to still be out at dark, it's just too easy to carry to even consider leaving it at home. 8)

Buy now or regret later
No Life Club Posts: 1,503
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 12:27:29 AM »
I admit, I've been bad about flashlights for many years.  I "get by" with little keychain LEDs, and have been for a very long time.  In the last year I got 2 new flashlights though - nothing special, but they certainly do the job.  a Wenger that came with a watch, and a Nite Ize. 

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:50:22 AM »
Those button lights that gregozedobe :salute: likes to add to deals are not bat at all.  In pitch darkness they'll do better than by feel  ;).   

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:20:20 AM »
Those button lights that gregozedobe :salute: likes to add to deals are not bat at all.  In pitch darkness they'll do better than by feel  ;).   

Indeed - but we never plan to get lost in the woods, do we?  A more powerful flashlight may help find the more obviously right path that you're not looking directly at, and may help you get seen, even when you're not actively "signaling"
No Life Club Posts: 1,494
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »
I am reminded even tho I will only be out for a short hike/walk to always take some gear with me.

Good call.

I try to be prepared to spend the night outside, even when I have no intention of doing so.  Knife, lighter, flashlight, adequate clothing for the worst credible weather.
No Life Club Posts: 4,271
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
I always have the SAK (and/or MT), Flashlight, and lighter.  If going on any kind of hike, I will also have a small pouch with a small survival kit in a mint tin (small vial of bleach purify water, spark-wheel and kwik tinder, compass, duct tape, flashlight, mini MT), 1L bag for water, mylar blanket, nutrition bar, and some kevlar line.  This is in addition to anything that I grab thinking I will need for the hike.
Sr. Member Posts: 382
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »
Whenever on a hike I bring some stuff:
FAK (got different sizes for each purpose)
Knife
(head) light, small AAA in pocket
toilet paper
lighter
space blanket and/or bivybag (when out in the mountains).

should get me through most situations.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:13:12 PM »
Whenever on a hike I bring some stuff:
FAK (got different sizes for each purpose)
Knife
(head) light, small AAA in pocket
toilet paper
lighter
space blanket and/or bivybag (when out in the mountains).

should get me through most situations.

I really need to be better about this...
 :dwts:

My FAK is a little too big for me to carry on a hike -
I'm going to need to make a FAK in a mint tin, going to carry a ferro rod with me, and will start bringing a flashlight. 

Complacency kills.
Sr. Member Posts: 382
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »
Dont get me wrong, everything is better than nothing, but a real, a serious FAK is more than the stuff most people carry in their Altoids tin.

Rule of thumb: if your kit does not include at least two field dressings / compression bandage, its not worth talking about.

For example, my mountain hiking kit contains two large field dressings, two more bandages, triangular bandage, plasters, solar blanket, blister plasters, 2 ampoules of salt solution (for cleaning wounds and eyes) and more.

Dont call 5 plasters a FAK.

I see, need to make a topic about that later on...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
Dont get me wrong, everything is better than nothing, but a real, a serious FAK is more than the stuff most people carry in their Altoids tin.

Rule of thumb: if your kit does not include at least two field dressings / compression bandage, its not worth talking about.

For example, my mountain hiking kit contains two large field dressings, two more bandages, triangular bandage, plasters, solar blanket, blister plasters, 2 ampoules of salt solution (for cleaning wounds and eyes) and more.

Dont call 5 plasters a FAK.

I see, need to make a topic about that later on...

There is a topic on FAKs... but we can always use more.

I agree... my FAK is quite extensive too, and I cant imagine what I would put in a mint tin that would make any difference. 
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,985
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 06:03:06 PM »
I remembered reading some statistic where people often panic and there are a good number of deaths are found within a short distance to car/help.  It's tragic but a reality check.

If anyone are taking a walk/hike/detour/bahtroom break, even just minute(s) away from trail/camp site/people, please do make it a habit to take relevant gears with you, if not a survival kit. 

It may sound silly, but "accidents" always happen when you least expect it and no one ever plan to get lost but they do.  FAK is great but some way to regulate body temp, different form of signal devices and informing people where you are going are of upmost importance, those will dramatically up your/your group chances for getting rescue.

Join us for Nessmuk Challenge in Sept
Comis Gear Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »
 :iagree:

Just waiting for summer when the hordes show up again, that hike in flip flops and without water...  :twak:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:18:19 PM by SirVicaLot »
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 07:51:24 PM »
For those still not convinced.
Here's a topic of mine that shows the gear you take along might just save someone else...

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=82573.0

Buy now or regret later
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
Here's a topic of mine that shows the gear you take along might just save someone else...

Indeed  :cheers:
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 11:04:30 PM »

:hatsoff:  100% this ^^^

I see it all the time people hiking with 1 small bottle of water, no hat for sun, no nothing  :twak:.  We might look overly prepared when we head out but I would not do it any other way. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 04:36:34 AM »
:hatsoff:  100% this ^^^

I see it all the time people hiking with 1 small bottle of water, no hat for sun, no nothing  :twak:.  We might look overly prepared when we head out but I would not do it any other way. 

It always surprised me how many hikers go unprepared on trails.

Once I was hiking in a State park in Cali alone(took all proper measurements, even leave a footprint in my car at trailhead).  The entire trail system is buried in really tall trees, so there's no cell phone signal nor landmark to navigate to.  The park labeled the hike as "strenuous" and estimated time is 6 hours to finish the longest trail.  Only just 10 minutes into the hike, I met two girls already 'lost' and discussing which way is way.  I asked them multiple times whether they want to continue, give them direction and offered one of my spare map printouts(knew this is going to happen).

The worst was meeting a group of teenagers trying to out pace each other towards the later part of my hike. 

That group ended up scattering all across the trail and leaving an inexperience young lady all the way at the back cramping and struggling.  I had the opportunity to interact with some of them, since I passed all of them on my way back, and the young lady had asked me to tell her relatives to wait up for her.  Their 'fastest' guy greeted me in the parking lot when he finished, and told me how his group had gotten lost a few times and that's why they were running "slow".  I told him there was only an hour til sundown, and with all these big trees around, it might get dark sooner than later. 

When asked about their gears, he had no clue whether anyone on his group had a flashlight or anything to keep warm.  I showed him where the park office were before I left, and encouraged him to contact the office if he needed any help, since it's about the well being of his relatives.

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,355
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »
My backpack is like Mary Poppin's purse. Full of the necessities.

:like:    :MTO:
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 04:55:49 AM »
My backpack is like Mary Poppin's purse. Full of the necessities.

:rofl: :like:
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »
We went on a pretty strenuous hike early to beat the heat but once midday arrived the heat did too.  We were well prepared but saw people sweating profusely with only a small bottle of water.  Some were so red from the sun and we stopped to give water and sun screen.  It never surprises me. 

Its not that much to take some relevant items. 

Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »
It always surprised me how many hikers go unprepared on trails.

Once I was hiking in a State park in Cali alone(took all proper measurements, even leave a footprint in my car at trailhead).  The entire trail system is buried in really tall trees, so there's no cell phone signal nor landmark to navigate to.  The park labeled the hike as "strenuous" and estimated time is 6 hours to finish the longest trail.  Only just 10 minutes into the hike, I met two girls already 'lost' and discussing which way is way.  I asked them multiple times whether they want to continue, give them direction and offered one of my spare map printouts(knew this is going to happen).

The worst was meeting a group of teenagers trying to out pace each other towards the later part of my hike. 

That group ended up scattering all across the trail and leaving an inexperience young lady all the way at the back cramping and struggling.  I had the opportunity to interact with some of them, since I passed all of them on my way back, and the young lady had asked me to tell her relatives to wait up for her.  Their 'fastest' guy greeted me in the parking lot when he finished, and told me how his group had gotten lost a few times and that's why they were running "slow".  I told him there was only an hour til sundown, and with all these big trees around, it might get dark sooner than later. 

When asked about their gears, he had no clue whether anyone on his group had a flashlight or anything to keep warm.  I showed him where the park office were before I left, and encouraged him to contact the office if he needed any help, since it's about the well being of his relatives.

This is the problem with everyone getting to try out whatever hobby tickles their fancy. Nowadays you can be 19 years old, with just one expedition under your belt and you can successfully summit Everest. In the meantime anyone can go on a difficult hike, and they can do so  with absolutely zero gear, and even less respect for nature. I meet them on the trail and they look at me like I'm the crazy one for looking like Indiana Jones.

They're on the hike with regular sneakers, maybe a plastic water bottle that's going get launched into the woods when emptied, and a sleeveless shirt.

You'd think there's justice in the universe... But there isn't.
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2020, 04:08:26 PM »
I have some good friends who used to go hiking with only what they expected to need, and nothing for contingencies. That was fine when I was with them, as I always had a trick up my sleeve, but it worried me when they did this without me.

One Christmas I bought them some "survival" type goodies, useful outdoor stuff that's of hardly any size or weight, along with simple details of how to use each. I made them promise that they would start taking at least some of it when they went out walking. Within a couple of months, they went on their first hike without me since that day, and ended up having to use the mini flashlights and button compass when they got a little disorientated and lost daylight.

They never got into being fully equipped, but at least after that, they started carrying something to help get them out of a fix.

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2020, 04:15:58 PM »
I have some good friends who used to go hiking with only what they expected to need, and nothing for contingencies. That was fine when I was with them, as I always had a trick up my sleeve, but it worried me when they did this without me.

One Christmas I bought them some "survival" type goodies, useful outdoor stuff that's of hardly any size or weight, along with simple details of how to use each. I made them promise that they would start taking at least some of it when they went out walking. Within a couple of months, they went on their first hike without me since that day, and ended up having to use the mini flashlights and button compass when they got a little disorientated and lost daylight.

They never got into being fully equipped, but at least after that, they started carrying something to help get them out of a fix.

My friends still hike without gear because I'm around.  >:(

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2020, 12:19:21 AM »
This is the problem with everyone getting to try out whatever hobby tickles their fancy. Nowadays you can be 19 years old, with just one expedition under your belt and you can successfully summit Everest. In the meantime anyone can go on a difficult hike, and they can do so  with absolutely zero gear, and even less respect for nature. I meet them on the trail and they look at me like I'm the crazy one for looking like Indiana Jones.

They're on the hike with regular sneakers, maybe a plastic water bottle that's going get launched into the woods when emptied, and a sleeveless shirt.

You'd think there's justice in the universe... But there isn't.
I have read about recent Everest 'expedition', and story about people having zero mountaineering experience climbing.  The heavy traffic and hold up have posed serious threat to the lives of the guides and everyone climbing, it's pretty wild.  Regular sneakers are still better than scandals and fancy shoes I've seen. :dunno:

My friends still hike without gear because I'm around.  >:(

Maybe next Christmas or birthday gifts? :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $60.00
PayPal Fees: $3.14