Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic and Wenger scissors are just that good.

Aloha · 25 · 1097

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Vic and Wenger scissors are just that good.
on: February 28, 2020, 05:01:26 PM
Time and time again I am impressed with Victorionox scissors.  Have to say I was a bit indifferent with Wengers offerings but with a little time I am equally impressed.

Its become a real battle to carry a SAK without them. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Re: Vic and Wenger scissors are just that good.
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:08:16 PM
 :iagree:
I have surprised and impressed many non-SAK users by pulling out a Compact or Pioneer X (or even a Classic) and quickly and cleanly performing some cutting job that they never would have guessed could be performed with SAK scissors.
I have always been quite taken with the Vic scissors of all sizes.  They are perfect little sculptures in addition to being functional.
The Wenger's aren't the little works of art that the Vic's are, but still functional.
- Steve

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:45:29 PM
Time and time again I am impressed with Victorionox scissors.  Have to say I was a bit indifferent with Wengers offerings but with a little time I am equally impressed.

Its become a real battle to carry a SAK without them.

That's a lesson I learned within the first week of two of owning my first Victorinox knife, a Tourist which now resides in my kitchen drawer. I already had a Swisstool at the time, and sorely regretted not getting a knife with scissors on. I learned my lesson though, and have only carried Vics and Wengers with scissors ever since.

I will occasionally carry a trad or modern folder if I'm going Swiss free, and just rely on scissors in an accompanying multitool, but would never do so with a Swiss knife. The Swiss scissors are invariably better, so not having them on the knife, and relying on something else, makes no sense. As the traditional and modern folders don't have great scissors as standard, it's a far more acceptable combination to fall back on the scissors on something else.

All personal opinion of course.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 05:49:44 PM
Carry what you will  :hatsoff:.  I tip my hat to you AW, every time I've read what you've posted I've held it in the back of my head.  Yes I've carried and enjoyed SAKs without scissors but the more I carry with scissors the more I move away from SAKs without. 

Carry what you will  :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 05:57:21 PM
 :salute: Don't get me wrong, I still think the Tourist is an excellent knife, and it gets used all the time in the kitchen. I've used every tool on in it the kitchen at some point, even the tweezers when hunting for fish bones, and the wire bending notch on the cap lifter for scraping burnt stuff off wire racks. It just won't win pocket time over a scissor laden Swissie.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:59:00 PM
Carry, thats key to my thinking now.  I have a few great SAKs that get used often as well.  I have  84mm Tinker in my kitchen thats been there 2 years now.   
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 02:02:22 AM
The Vic scissors certainly punch above their weight. Gotta have some on me, even if it‘s „just“ a classic. Even those can handle 95% of my scissor related jobs  :tu:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 03:36:16 AM
I've always wondered about the Wenger scissors - because the spring is potentially more durable. Is that not true, or not a real advantage?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 05:34:11 AM
I've always wondered about the Wenger scissors - because the spring is potentially more durable. Is that not true, or not a real advantage?

IMO, true but not a meaningful advantage in practice.

Wenger scissor spring probably is less susceptible to damage than the Vic scissor spring.  My experience, though, is that, with just a modicum of care, the Vic scissor spring is good for years of EDC & regular use.  It also may be worth noting that the Vic scissor spring is designed to be easily replaced, but the Wenger scissor spring is not.

Something that always intrigued me was the claim that the Wenger scissors were self-sharpening, although again, my experience is that the Vic scissors are good for years of regular use without requiring resharpening.

Ultimately, I prefer the Vic scissors because I feel (1) they are more comfortable to use and (2) the cuts are cleaner.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 07:30:55 AM
IMO, true but not a meaningful advantage in practice.

Wenger scissor spring probably is less susceptible to damage than the Vic scissor spring.  My experience, though, is that, with just a modicum of care, the Vic scissor spring is good for years of EDC & regular use.  It also may be worth noting that the Vic scissor spring is designed to be easily replaced, but the Wenger scissor spring is not.

Something that always intrigued me was the claim that the Wenger scissors were self-sharpening, although again, my experience is that the Vic scissors are good for years of regular use without requiring resharpening.

Ultimately, I prefer the Vic scissors because I feel (1) they are more comfortable to use and (2) the cuts are cleaner.

I think the major difference to me is Wenger is a scissors by shearing where as Vic scissors are 'cutting', so technically I guess Wenger scissors maybe able to shear through tougher material.  I too prefer Vic scissors because of its precision.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 02:35:58 PM
 :iagree: For tougher jobs I prefer the Wenger scissors  :tu:

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 03:33:49 PM

:iagree: I like the Wenger scissors a whole lot better than the Vic.. They seem more heavy duty to me!! :think:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 03:43:06 PM

So what you're indicating here is that I need the Evo S14?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 03:59:02 PM

For what it's worth, I'd personally drop the "S". That's not just my personal preference for non-locking blades, but I find the lock release really messes up the ergonomics. If you strongly prefer to go the locking route, I'd suggest handling both types before buying, and make sure you're happy with the feel of that raised pad. Some folks are, some folks aren't.  :salute:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 04:12:45 PM
For what it's worth, I'd personally drop the "S". That's not just my personal preference for non-locking blades, but I find the lock release really messes up the ergonomics. If you strongly prefer to go the locking route, I'd suggest handling both types before buying, and make sure you're happy with the feel of that raised pad. Some folks are, some folks aren't.  :salute:

I would agree, I have passed up the Evo with locks before because it seems like the lever would get snagged in the pocket. Also, the lock puts your thumb in the "danger zone". 

That said, the feature I don't already have seemed to intrigue me.

I have other plans for the month though.
I'm planning on a pivot ... Rotating my EDC...

:whistle:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 04:34:53 PM
 :rant:  :poh: :fugly:

:P :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 11:56:39 PM

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 11:57:06 PM

Drop the S, get the Evo 14 with nice wooden scales  :pok: :D

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 03:53:58 AM
Drop the S, get the Evo 14 with nice wooden scales  :pok: :D

Alas, I am deathly allergic to files on tools. I wish that was a small blade.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 04:02:44 AM
Yeah, then the Evo line might not be your thing  :think:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 05:38:25 PM
I did a comparison of the 58 and 65mm scissors a while back that some may find interesting.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71363.msg1450129.html#msg1450129
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 05:44:16 PM
 :hatsoff: That was a great test.  Thank you for posting link so others can weigh in.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 07:02:18 PM
I did a comparison of the 58 and 65mm scissors a while back that some may find interesting.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,71363.msg1450129.html#msg1450129

:like:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 04:11:33 AM
The scissors on the SA knives are my most-used implement, along with perhaps the toothpick.  :o  Both employment systems work equally well.  Usually see the lever-actuated shears on the Wenger examples.  But the spring-actuated scissors seem to have a slight edge, along with option of replacing the spring, if it ever gets weak.  Curiously, Vic Evo has lever-actuated scissors, just like the Wenger Evo.   I'm not an expert, as to why the lever-system is used on the 'Evos'. 
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 06:31:25 AM
Curiously, Vic Evo has lever-actuated scissors, just like the Wenger Evo.   I'm not an expert, as to why the lever-system is used on the 'Evos'.

I think the reason is that when Vic bought out Wenger, they actually tried to keep a lot of the Wenger tools where it made sense to do so, in order to give customers more options and sort of keep Wenger alive in some way.  Vic didn't have anything like the Evos, so that line got kept while the standard-scaled Wenger versions got dropped.  They made a few changes, like can opener and awl, but many other tools, including blades, scissors, pliers, wrenches, and bottle openers, pretty much stayed true to the original Wenger versions in the Evo knives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%