Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerAssist

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
SOG PowerAssist
on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:38 AM
Hey guys, I got a PowerAssist for Christmas.. I have been using it lately, and I feel that two assisted opening blades aren't worth not having tools in an entire handle.. I actually feel unequipped when carrying the PowerAssist.. It could easily be modded, but it's just not worth it..then you would lose a necessary tool.. I finally got used to unlocking the blade but it is still a little awkward.. One more thing, the assisted oping blades were a very good idea..but very poorly executed.. You have to open the serrated knife with your left hand.. I'm ambidextrous, but that could be very awkward for a right handed person.. (or a left handed person for the straight blade) Look at the Wave, SURGE, and Charge tools.. The have one hand opening blades and it isn't such a compromise. Oh, and they use simple liner locks! IMO, what SOG needs to do is to get rid of the handle covers.. They make a more comfortable grip, but they are a quick fix for sheet metal handles.. One more thing, why do the civilian models have the blasting cap crimper? I am a law enforcement officer, and I don't foresee me ever needing one..  All in all, I am very disappointing with the PowerAssist.. But, it is still an extremely tool cool to have.. I am not trying to bash this tool, but it is not what I expected.. I know some of you are going to say MT manufacturers need to try new things, but in order to try new things, the new design needs to work well.. Imagine being an EMT and needed to get your serrated blade on your PowerAssist out in a flash- and you can't unlock the blade with gloves on.. I hope you guys get where I'm going with this.. I am not trying to bash this tool, but it is not what I expected..

If SOG made a PowerLock w/ one hand opening blades ( no assisted opening! I can open the blade on my OH LM tools just as fast!) and having it be an outside opener- I would be very impressed...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:34:22 AM by Leatherman123 »
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: SOG PowerAssist
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:43:21 AM
I disagree. First mine has no crimper for blasting caps. It has a Mechanical crimper that can be used with caps, but also used to crimp conectors on cable tv wire. Second It has all the drivers you need plus a file and the V cutter. Only thing I would do is dump the V cutter for scissors.
S

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:18:40 PM
Hey guys, I got a PowerAssist for Christmas.. I have been using it lately, and I feel that two assisted opening blades aren't worth not having tools in an entire handle.. I actually feel unequipped when carrying the PowerAssist.. It could easily be modded, but it's just not worth it..then you would lose a necessary tool.. I finally got used to unlocking the blade but it is still a little awkward.. One more thing, the assisted oping blades were a very good idea..but very poorly executed.. You have to open the serrated knife with your left hand.. I'm ambidextrous, but that could be very awkward for a right handed person.. (or a left handed person for the straight blade) Look at the Wave, SURGE, and Charge tools.. The have one hand opening blades and it isn't such a compromise. Oh, and they use simple liner locks! IMO, what SOG needs to do is to get rid of the handle covers.. They make a more comfortable grip, but they are a quick fix for sheet metal handles.. One more thing, why do the civilian models have the blasting cap crimper? I am a law enforcement officer, and I don't foresee me ever needing one..  All in all, I am very disappointing with the PowerAssist.. But, it is still an extremely tool cool to have.. I am not trying to bash this tool, but it is not what I expected.. I know some of you are going to say MT manufacturers need to try new things, but in order to try new things, the new design needs to work well.. Imagine being an EMT and needed to get your serrated blade on your PowerAssist out in a flash- and you can't unlock the blade with gloves on.. I hope you guys get where I'm going with this.. I am not trying to bash this tool, but it is not what I expected..

If SOG made a PowerLock w/ one hand opening blades ( no assisted opening! I can open the blade on my OH LM tools just as fast!) and having it be an outside opener- I would be very impressed...

Ok let me have a crack at this....

You feel unequipped, I think SOG gives you the tools most used by people. I am one of the guys who feel equipped just fine by what they have put in the tool.

I can open and unlock the blades with either hand and it does not give me any hassle. Yes its awkward and very different, but I think SOG went with a design that was stronger than a liner lock and less likely to fail. (I think the design is similar to that of victorinox (the locking mech not the release button))

Handle Covers, some people actually love the cover :-D Until SOG gets off thier butt and rolls the steel like Leatherman did on the Wave then what they have is the best they can offer. I do realise SOG is not running with the rest of the pack but that is what seperates them from everyone else. They do what works for them and at thier own pace, I don't condone SOG for not being "Leathermanlike". I think at this years SHOT show if they are ready for a proto then they will show the world thier first tool with outside opening tools. I know it's coming because SOG is so damn secretive about it. Will it have one hand opening blades too?  I don't know, they may tackle one problem at a time.

As for the crimper, yes mine has the blasting cap thing too. I don't use a crimper much and I don't think it would be usefull if I have to use it.

All I can say is, some people take some shots at SOG over and over saying they are not innovative and not being up to par with the competition. I think in thier own way they are above the competition, they continue to do things no other company has attempted and I applaude them for thier efforts. I remember someone saying how SOG has crappy knife blades in thier tools and they suck.....well with the PowerAssist; looks like they addressed that issues. Instead of saying what can SOG to to get better; rather look at what SOG has done!

Ok, I am getting off my soap box now. No flame war please  :D :D :D

(edited for typos....man I sure typed this when I just woke up hehe)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:26:44 PM by DavidBinGA »

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:22:37 PM
Well said, David.  I totally agree.  My brother has a PowerAssist and for the 5 minutes that I was allowed to handle it (lol), I love it.  I also love my PowerLock.  I also love the Wave/Charge as well but I never compare one multi-tool company to another as every multi-tool has their own pros and cons.  Sure, Leatherman can do some things that SOG can't do but SOG can also do things Leatherman can't do.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:27:00 PM
I don't condone SOG for not being "Leathermanlike".

I know I've taken this a bit out of context, but I wanted to make the point that I DO condone anything that shows a bit of innovation. Well done to SOG.

Very good post by the way David :tu:
I used to come here a lot.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 03:40:37 PM
Nikko I will do everyone a service & trade my Samsung S630 digital camera for ya SOG  :pok: :pok: :D :D :D.
Mat.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 07:05:29 PM
Thanks guys, I have a spot in my heart for SOG and I don't like it when the tools get put down  :P As for the condone thing (once again it was early and I had just got up), I was trying to drive home that they don't try and be like someone else, they try very hard to be very different. That is what keeps SOG interesting, you never know what they are going to do next. I agree SOG has alot of drawbacks that are on some of the more modern multitools but they are just in a diffrent league than the Leatherman line. I own like 7 SOG tools and various knives, like I said I am a little biased. Don't get me wrong, I own Vic, Leatherman, Buck, etc... And I don't use my SOGs as much as my Leathermans. But there is just something very unique, different and special about them.

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 07:29:16 PM
Thanks guys, I have a spot in my heart for SOG and I don't like it when the tools get put down  :P As for the condone thing (once again it was early and I had just got up), I was trying to drive home that they don't try and be like someone else, they try very hard to be very different. That is what keeps SOG interesting, you never know what they are going to do next. I agree SOG has alot of drawbacks that are on some of the more modern multitools but they are just in a diffrent league than the Leatherman line. I own like 7 SOG tools and various knives, like I said I am a little biased. Don't get me wrong, I own Vic, Leatherman, Buck, etc... And I don't use my SOGs as much as my Leathermans. But there is just something very unique, different and special about them.

Just like me. I love SOG.
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 08:07:42 PM

I knew what you meant! Hopefully that came through in my post.

I have had my first SOG for a couple of days now, and I like it. The gears leave a pattern in my palm when I use the drivers, but I like it for it's difference. I will be getting more!
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 10:02:49 PM
Well i really do appreciate the new blade. i for one really like my Sog but hated the chisle grind on it. I am happy they thought out the powerassist.
S

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:45:36 AM
First off let me begin by saying I'm a big Sog fan.  I love their tools and blades but I have to agree with LM123 on this thread.  The PowerAssist , though a novel idea with the assisted opening blades did compromise a bit too much, I too feel somewhat unequiped with the stock tool.  The AO blades are neat at first but are little awkward as LM123 states.  And with just one handle left to accomodate components they should have imo, given us a better selection.  The first thing I did with mine was add the 1/4 drive adapter, which gives me the versatility to use any type of driver bit  I need.  I also replaced the v cutter ( there's already two blades, what do we need a v cutter for )with a saw blade, and added the robertson driver.  That way I'll have the most common drivers available before having to resort to the drive adapter.  Yeah, I'll have to carry extra 1/4 hex bits with me but that's the price for having ao blades.  I feel Sog may have rushed the PowerAssist into the market place in response to the innovative designs from Leatherman, but it could have beenmuch better if it spent more time with Sog's research and development.

Just my thoughts.
I do enjoy their other offerings and will continue to support Sog.

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:58 AM
Well said, David.  I totally agree.  My brother has a PowerAssist and for the 5 minutes that I was allowed to handle it (lol), I love it.  I also love my PowerLock.  I also love the Wave/Charge as well but I never compare one multi-tool company to another as every multi-tool has their own pros and cons.  Sure, Leatherman can do some things that SOG can't do but SOG can also do things Leatherman can't do.

Pyro,  wasn't it the best 5 minutes of your life.  :drool:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:57:12 AM
I carried this tool today, and I am sorta kind beginning to like it.. At first, I thought it was under equipped but its really not.. The main reason why I have begun to like it is because I got used to the blade deployment; it is no longer awkward...
B

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:07:51 AM
I wonder if the position of the ao blades can be switched.  I'd prefer the serrated blade accessed by my right hand,  its a more useful utility blade.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 01:08:46 AM
I wouldn't mess with it, it's such a complicated design!
B

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:17:49 AM

Pyro,  wasn't it the best 5 minutes of your life.  :drool:

LOL.  Yes, I must it admit I was very impressed.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:08:53 AM
I would not mess with it at all. It does not seem like a user friendy take apart. Plus it works well and you just need to open it a couple times to get use to the deployment on the serr. blade.
S

us Offline SMK

Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:47:00 PM
   Does anyone know if the PowerAssist has a bit adapter like the Powerlock?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 01:57:44 AM
Nope. None.
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 02:14:48 AM
You could buy one and put it in, though..
B

Offline STik

• Have tool, will travel...
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:03 AM
I do realize this is a wee bit OT, but I recently replaced the half-serrated blade in my Powerlock with a fine edge that they sent me free for some trouble...  That one's v-ground, and the half serr is chisel.  Just thought I'd throw that out there...  :pok:
S

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 05:12:48 AM
I do agree the PowerAssist isn't for everyone and it is a bit quirky. I don't think it's aimed at non tool enthusiasts or that it would be good for a first time tool buyer. I believe newcomers to the tool field should start with less complication and see that simplicity is beauty. The PowerAssist is an amazing tool and quite a feat of enginering on SOG's part but is by no means "perfect" or "the tool". I think the PowerAssist is SOG's way to flaunt the muscule they have in the tool industry. Besides Leatherman they are pretty much a major competitor and they are using proven technology from thier knife line and introducing it to thier tool line. The Asisst is kind of like a cross-breed/hybrid or something, SOG tried to combine two worlds (have thier cake and eat it too), and the Asisst is the offspring of that. Like I said, this design is not the smurf child if you will of something they made (vic autotool comes to mind) but a step SOG felt they had to make to keep themselves in the market. I mean, you can only be whipped by Leatherman just so many times before you can't take it anymore  ;)

The Assist is NOT my EDC and I don't think it ever will be, it's an awesome tool that is a combination of my two loves (knives and tools) and I think SOG did this one justice. They got alot right and alot wrong, then again no one is perfect. I keep saying this; but maybe at SHOT (like Chris hopes) they will have a proto ready of thier next full sized tool. Here's to hoping.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:39:20 AM by DavidBinGA »

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 04:23:35 AM
Look at this pic.

http://www.sogknives.com/images/products/moreinfo/assisted/spring.jpg

This is a picture apparently of the spring and piano key with blade locked open on the Sog Powerassist.  Looking at it doesn't seem to inspire alot of confidence in how that locks up with relationship to the spring poking up and the shape of the piano key and blade notch.  The way that pic shows I'd be a bit nervous of it on lockup.  Hopefully it's just a pic they posted showing the internal and will be a little more of an exact fit with production units.

sean

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:27:33 AM by Sean »

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 02:48:12 PM
I agree that it is a pic just to show the locking mechanism. The spring that is there is on the outside and would fit into the housing of the handle. I am sure the lockup is fairly better than that graphic example!  :-[ And the icing on the cake is; the newly release PowerAssist does not have pat. pend. on either blade. S my guess is that this is just a mockup from the begining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%