Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Older 58mm springs

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Older 58mm springs
on: March 02, 2020, 02:30:01 PM
So I did a scaleswap that I have been meaning to do to an older 58 mm Executive what I forgot to think of was that I was missing a spring and that I couldn't simply use a more modern spring. So now the work is done and I can't use my knife...  :facepalm: :ahhh

The information on the spring replacement kit is not super detailed so I'm wondering if that would include the spring I need or if there are other ways to go about it.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Re: Older 58mm springs
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 04:06:26 AM
A picture showing the scissors might help. There are a few spring types and sizes and materials out there.

Tang stamps might also help provide a general idea which lug size would fit.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:04:12 PM
Should have updated this topic too but it was starting to fade into page 2 and I reasoned I should just let it die... I was able to transplant the spring from another similarly aged knife I had. I have no idea if the spring is representative of how the spring would have looked from factory but it works great and I'm happy to leave it at that (the knife obviously no longer looks like it did from factory anyway).

For future reference I might add that a few light taps with a hammer will bend a spring to fit but that it had the unintended consequence of not allowing it to open fully (might be possible to solve, either with a spacer while tapping it or by bending the spring back slightly after the tapping.

The picture doesn't show any of the information you were asking for but I already had it around and it shows the knife I stole the spring from for comparison.
The tang stamps are:
Victorinox
Switzerland
Stainless
Rostfrei

Opposite side:
Victoria (with crossbow (vc6 in ulli's guide))

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 06:52:24 PM
I think I’ve seen those with black or silver double and black single springs. Might be wrong in the black double as those might only be the blank rear and maybe later.

The silver doubles were often found broken and that old material was pretty thin. Getting a modern double leaf spring in there might take some creative bending and reshaping to make it work well. The bend radius needs to be tight to fit the old style scissors closed, and then opened up to a wider angle to open the scissor to be usable. The other option is to cut it at the bend and fashion a single leaf from what’s left. That means bending it pretty hard near the lug and maybe reshaping the new tip.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%