Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign
on: March 03, 2020, 07:43:21 PM
I hope this is okay to post. I’d just like to see these made. I bought and like the Firefly, but I think these could also be useful for corkscrew variants. And also provide a solution for tinder that also fits in the CS. Pretty slick IMO.

This campaign kicked off today at 8 am PST.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fireant/fireant-accessorize-your-swiss-army-knife-with-fire

Right now, the campaign is more than 25% funded after just a few hours.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Re: Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:30:10 PM
Very well done, i like it, will certainly get a couple when they are released :tu:
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

us Offline HolyDeuce

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:04:51 PM
Thanks for posting this Kamakiri  :hatsoff:

This is a great looking product for sure!!  :like:
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

za Offline Max Stone

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:31:11 PM
This is such a clever product  :like: I just pledged for the $12 3-pack. They’re already at $6k towards their $16k target, so I’m sure this will get funded.

Really like the wax/cotton tinder that they include. Will make it quick and easy to start a fire.

So nice to see something new coming out that’s SAK related. Victorinox can be a little conservative, so a little color and sizzle will be appreciated.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 11:07:27 PM
I’m glad there’s some interest!  Looks like the funding is moving along pretty quickly. Over $6,400 just now.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline Sos24

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:21:53 PM
I was part of the kickstarter for the FireFly, which went well and I like, so I went ahead and supported this one.  I am looking forward to it.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:45:13 PM
Looks very interesting.

I wonder if you file the end of the firesteel so it would still act as a screwdriver. Is it that sort of material?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 12:12:20 AM
 :popcorn:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:55:40 AM
 :like:
Let's not forget that these will fit other companies' corkscrews as well. :salute:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 04:48:11 AM
Already more than half way funded in under 12 hours!

I was part of the kickstarter for the FireFly, which went well and I like, so I went ahead and supported this one.  I am looking forward to it.

That's cool! Now you'll be part of both. I didn't hear of the FireFly until later when they were available for sale.  I'm glad I bought direct from them so I was on the mailing list for this campaign.

Looks very interesting.

I wonder if you file the end of the firesteel so it would still act as a screwdriver. Is it that sort of material?
I suspect it would be too soft to use as a mini driver.

Let's not forget that these will fit other companies' corkscrews as well. :salute:

:tu: Good to know...hadn't thought about it.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 12:07:02 PM
Hmmm. As they say, it's substantially smaller and will last less time than even the Firefly which to be frank is rather questionable itself? I notice that yet again they used the clip of the firefly lighting the tinder immediately, something that was shown to be 'questionable' here at the time. Oh and for goodness sake, they really need to hire actors, that video was beyond cringeworthy.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 01:18:03 PM
Lovely project, and I like the fact that handle even glow in the dark, very thoughtful!  :like:

And that wacky sense of humor...are they members on MTO?  :pok: :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 02:53:24 PM
The video was silly but  :D.  I'm glad they came back with another option for ferro rod.  The added tinder is clever as well.  I have some cotton type tinders and they do light rather quickly once fluffed.  The GITD is a thoughtful touch. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 03:02:30 PM
The video was silly but  :D.  I'm glad they came back with another option for ferro rod.  The added tinder is clever as well.  I have some cotton type tinders and they do light rather quickly once fluffed.  The GITD is a thoughtful touch.
They've really touched on something with the visuals. Those colours pop even with the lights on.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 04:44:23 PM
Yeah, I like the colors and hope some might become available on the FireFly in the future.

I certainly had concerns and doubts about the FireFly when I bought it. I bought a pack of 8 and gave s few away.  But in my own testing and practice, I found it to work much better than expected considering its small size. And I’m not really *that* experienced with firestarters. I had no problem getting big sparks from it and lighting various tinder.

Anyway...I was a bit skeptical about the size of the FireAnt when I received the email announcing the Kickstarter campaign. So I tried throwing sparks using only about 1/2” from the tip. Seemed to work well enough for a casual test. That’s why I joined the campaign and posted this thread.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 05:44:40 PM
Very cool but I don't really see any advantage over my Paratinder and fire toggle.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73386.150.html
Post #168 and 171.
IMG_20190616_065020.jpg
* IMG_20190616_065020.jpg (Filesize: 248.36 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 06:10:01 PM
 :iagree: The ferro toggle is a great item to have.  Matched with your tinder cord  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 07:46:48 PM
Very cool but I don't really see any advantage over my Paratinder and fire toggle.
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,73386.150.html
Post #168 and 171.

Seems like a perfect solution for a Soldier.

But for me, I’d rather have something that is secured within the knife. I don’t like keyrings, keyring lugs or anything dangling from a knife when being used as a knife. Just my preference and I usually remove all lugs when I mod.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 04:40:01 AM
Only $3,518 to go to be fully funded!

Separate email says that additional tinder can be purchased/added to your reward when it's ready to ship.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 07:21:47 PM
$2,208 to go!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 07:23:51 PM
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 07:53:01 PM
$83 to go!!

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 08:18:41 PM

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 09:31:54 PM
 :ahhh $47 more!  :D  :think: I almost want to increase my pledge just to do it.  ::)  :rofl:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 10:11:58 PM
The suspense was killing me...so I bumped my pledge up a few bucks to make it over $16k.

Of course, minutes later other pledges came in.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #25 on: March 06, 2020, 10:15:46 PM
Fantastic!  :woohoo:

Really excited to be in on this funded project. They deserve to do well.  :cheers:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 06, 2020, 10:46:10 PM
Excited, too...but now to wait a few months. I'm hoping early funding means earlier production. No idea if they can or will.

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 09, 2020, 09:36:32 PM
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 05:56:05 PM
They flew past their $16k funding target and have now set a stretch target of $50k for free stuff and exclusive colors. They’re at $28k and 1,000 backers and still 3 weeks to go. One of the more successful Kickstarter projects.  :like:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 17, 2020, 06:30:12 PM
 :iagree:

And hoping for GITD White for the exclusive color!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%