Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign
Reply #60 on: August 21, 2020, 06:39:19 PM
Thanks for the pics Kama!
And the testing  :like:

... can't wait to receive mine  :tu:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 21, 2020, 09:19:18 PM
Thanks for the pics Kama!
And the testing  :like:

... can't wait to receive mine  :tu:
No problem!  Still have to test the wind proof tinder and maybe some casual comparison testing against the Firefly.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: August 22, 2020, 01:36:25 PM
 :tu:   :popcorn:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 25, 2020, 09:06:24 PM
Got some wind on Sunday and can report that the FireAnt and Wind-Proof Helix Tinder works very well together! Lit it with my first try with a teeny 1/8(!) piece of the short tinder size. As I guessed, the tinder is loaded with a material that sparks like a re-lighting birthday candle. I could see little metal bits looking through a loupe. My little test piece re-lit itself a couple of times. I’m really impressed with these two as a backup ‘system’.

I’m still using the older stock of Fireflies so I’m not sure a comparison would be ‘fair’ since those were updated which I believe was to a softer, easier to spark compound. And with the FireAnt lighting the wind-proof tinder in the first strike, what is there to compare?  Technique and practice and how the tinder was ‘fluffed’ will skew any test procedure. So I will just report that this stuff does work as advertised.

If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: August 25, 2020, 10:35:58 PM
That's fantastic Kama and all I hoped it to be  :like: :like:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: August 25, 2020, 11:27:06 PM
That's fantastic Kama and all I hoped it to be  :like: :like:

:tu: No problem and  :iagree:

My only issue is with the bonus red ones...they barely glow. I actually thought that they didn’t when I first charged all four colors in the sunlight. All the other colors glow enough that I could spot them in the dark at 6 am the next morning. I don’t think I could find the red one 15 minutes after I turn the lights out. Even if it’s blasted with UV LED, it doesn’t last. The quantity of red dye to try to match the cellidor red blocks the charging and radiating glow.

And on that note the yellow-green is brightest, quite a bit brighter that Victorinox Stayglow. The blue is maybe brighter than stayglow. And the orange is maybe the same as or a bit less bright than stayglow. Going forward I’d only order the yellow/green and blue.

I’d like to hear other opinions too!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 26, 2020, 12:24:54 AM
Some other random thoughts...

Tinder cuts easily with a blade. And retains its shape if cut carefully.

As little as 1 coil (half of the smaller tinder and 1/3 of the larger tinder) can remain secured in the corkscrew. Less than that and I don’t think it’ll stay in the knife for any kind of carry. About 1 coil is pictured in the top knife.

The ‘C’ shaped piece is ~1/4 of the small tinder or 1/2 a coil. The other bit is a 1/8 chunk, same size as the piece I opened and lit earlier.

The mini SD fits with the small tinder. A bit tight, but fits. The mini SD hsndle is just a bit longer than the FireAnt’s handle. So FireFly users can fit a small tinder and keep the mini SD.

The diameter of the FireAnt rod is too big for many ‘70s 4 loop CS.

Nice little TG logo.

FireAnt can be secured or held in use by the corkscrew. Be cautious with pressure if you do this. But might make use easier for those without good grip strength or say an injury.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 08:53:36 AM
Great review Grant, thank you very much  :tu:
Now, which colour did I order?  :think:

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 26, 2020, 09:38:40 AM
Great to hear got mine on the way, always thought the firefly’s were great. Also want to give a shout out to Eric from Tortoise Gear. He replaced a broken firefly which was unused new out the packet without any fuss and tells me he’s also sending me a couple of extra fire flys free as compensation. Great service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 26, 2020, 08:22:37 PM
Nice that they’ll take care of you Echotech! Not really pleased about the red/glow issue, but it’s not TG’s fault that people voted for Vic Red. They obviously tried hard to make it match and glow.

Great review Grant, thank you very much  :tu:
Now, which colour did I order?  :think:

:cheers:
Well, you’ll also get at least three bonus Red ones!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #70 on: August 27, 2020, 12:25:55 AM
Mine arrived today, along with the Morse Code Huntsman that I added to the order.:woohoo:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: August 27, 2020, 01:06:40 AM
Good news guys  :tu:

au Offline Echotech

Reply #72 on: August 27, 2020, 04:04:18 AM
Mine arrived today, along with the Morse Code Huntsman that I added to the order.:woohoo:
(Image removed from quote.)
Love that Huntsman :like:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 27, 2020, 05:19:09 AM
Nice Sos!  Good to see more orders filled.  :tu:

I wish those Morse code scales were available loose. Looks great!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #74 on: August 27, 2020, 04:03:15 PM
Nice Sos!  Good to see more orders filled.  :tu:

I wish those Morse code scales were available loose. Looks great!

I was excited to get them.  Need to go out and play a little.

If the scales were available separate, I probably would have gotten a couple sets.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #75 on: August 27, 2020, 05:10:31 PM

If the scales were available separate, I probably would have gotten a couple sets.

+1

Never saw those before, but the idea is brilliant! And so simple!

:tu: :tu:

:hatsoff: ...---...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 05:21:33 PM

Playing with them is the best part.

And I think these would look great with those glow scales from comis!  (Assuming it’s a corkscrew model)

us Offline Sos24

Tortoise Gear FireAnt Kickstarter Campaign
Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 08:26:24 PM
Playing with them is the best part.

And I think these would look great with those glow scales from comis!  (Assuming it’s a corkscrew model)

You mean like this :woohoo: :cheers:
The tinder even fit with and holds in place the thread from my needle.

Can see the scales with the tritium, FireAnt, and tip of Firefly all glowing

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: August 27, 2020, 08:38:02 PM
 :woohoo:

Awesome, Sos!  Looks really great in both the light and dark! Thanks for sharing the pics!  :tu:  :cheers:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:20 AM
You mean like this :woohoo: :cheers:
The tinder even fit with and holds in place the thread from my needle.

Can see the scales with the tritium, FireAnt, and tip of Firefly all glowing

:like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: August 28, 2020, 01:31:44 PM
 :tu: 8)
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

us Offline Sos24

Reply #82 on: August 28, 2020, 09:24:41 PM
I went out and experimented some with both the FireAnt and tinder.  I also had a FireFly as well for some comparison.

I just used the one tinder cut up into three pieces and it worked nicely.  It didn’t even take that much of a spark to light and stayed lit.

I tried the FireAnt with saw, blade, file, and scissors.  For me, the file had the best result, produced the most sparks in fewest average tries.  What was a little surprising to me was the scissors also worked real well.  I opened the scissors about 45 degrees then opened the jaws wide.  Striking against the connected arm near the joint of the two arms produced a nice spark.

I also wanted to see how well the FireFly lit the tinder and compared to the FireAnt.  When I use the FireFly I tend to use it by striking it in the wire stripping notch of the cap lifter or combo tool.  I find for me that tends to get the best sparks with the least chance of cutting in too deep and potentially breaking.   For me, despite the FireFly producing more visible sparks, it was easier to light the tinder with the FireAnt.  I’m not sure why, but possibly because of the direction of the sparks produced.

Here is a picture of how I had the scissors when using as striker.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 29, 2020, 06:33:59 PM
Great comments Sos. Really like the glow mod pics too. Very interesting how something so short provides a decent spark. I’m finding I can even throw sparks using only about the last 1/8” from the tip. Crazy...since it’s something I wouldn’t even try or bother with a larger Firesteel. 

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: August 29, 2020, 06:56:01 PM
How do you guys use your firesteel? I used to keep the firesteel still and run the blade/striker along it, towards the tinder.

I saw a video where they did the opposite: keep the blade/striker still, near the tinder and pull the firesteel away from it. It prevents your hand to hit the tinder and disturb it.

I think this is the best way, although it may require some practice.

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Sos24

Reply #85 on: August 29, 2020, 09:29:56 PM
How do you guys use your firesteel? I used to keep the firesteel still and run the blade/striker along it, towards the tinder.

I saw a video where they did the opposite: keep the blade/striker still, near the tinder and pull the firesteel away from it. It prevents your hand to hit the tinder and disturb it.

I find it does work real well if you hold the tool being used as the striker still and pull back on the FireAnt.  As you mentioned it does take some focus to do it that way, but I think better at least for the FireAnt.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: August 29, 2020, 10:21:18 PM
I find it does work real well if you hold the tool being used as the striker still and pull back on the FireAnt.  As you mentioned it does take some focus to do it that way, but I think better at least for the FireAnt.

It awlso protects the slimmer firesteels, because they can rest against your finger and it gives them more support.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: August 30, 2020, 05:35:49 AM

I’ve done both. Generally, I will give more distance and move the striker. As you suggest, this does often result in moving the tinder. But if I need to be close to or in the tinder, I might pull the firesteel back as they have shown as an alternate method. Both techniques seem to work fine for me.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: August 30, 2020, 10:05:40 PM
I’ve done both. Generally, I will give more distance and move the striker. As you suggest, this does often result in moving the tinder. But if I need to be close to or in the tinder, I might pull the firesteel back as they have shown as an alternate method. Both techniques seem to work fine for me.

While my natural tendency is to move the striker, I've been making the concious effort to hold the striker still and pull the firesteel.  The precision seems to be worth the effort.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: September 10, 2020, 05:38:44 PM
Sooooooooo many posts gone. Lol. Uploaded pics seem unaffected tho.

With a Spartan PS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%