Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

rechargeable budget UV light

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
rechargeable budget UV light
on: April 04, 2020, 05:58:16 PM
I'm looking for a rechargeable UV light for <£20. From what I have read it is preferable to have a wavelength of 365 rather than the more common 395? My own searching has revealed these as the most promising options (the main limiting factor being that I want it to be rechargeable):

https://www.heinnie.com/nextorch-gl20-uv-key-light

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Blacklight-Ultraviolet-Flashlight-Waterproof/dp/B01N1Y9L30/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2FZHXMY5Q1ZU5&dchild=1&keywords=rechargeable%2BUV%2Btorch&qid=1585998698&refinements=p_36%3A-2000&rnid=118657031&s=diy&sprefix=recharge%2Caps%2C199&sr=1-14&th=1

There is also the Nitecore Tube UV, but has some poor reviews (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?423411-Nitecore-tube-UV)

I don't require this to have a normal torch function, just UV.

Wondering whether anyone had any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:01:28 PM by Raukodur »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: rechargeable budget UV light
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:33 AM
Nintecore has the newer Tiki with a side UV light (365nm, £22 on heinnie, so just over your budget), similar design you will find from RovyVon (don't know what wavelength their UV has, they are available from heinnie, but they are way over your budget)
Maybe worth checking these out.

I own a MecArmy SG5 (not really budget), the UV is extremely weak and pretty much useless.
I also own a Nitecore Tube UV and it is ok (to check bank-notes). Also, they are dirt cheap (I paid less than $10).

@chines keychain light you have found
Personally, I have not had any luck with off-brand flashlights, especially not Chinese ones (but there is always a first). I like that it has a reflector, which is why I probably would give this one a shot. But only if you are willing to throw that £20 pound light into the bin, because chances that it delivers are not that high.

@Nitecore Tube + review
I would say for the price, the review is very positive as the light does perform fairly well (also remember that it is a 4 years old review, so the last comment is probably no longer an issue). I will try to remember and check my tubes at home (I have 3, and at least 1 is still working after way over 2 years). With CFP reviews you have to always remember that they are absolute snobs there.
Personally, I would think that the tube is your best option.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 03:49:00 AM
Putting aside the issue of wavelength for a moment, you have listed three desired characteristics for this UV light:
  • Price <£20
  • Rechargeable
  • Reasonable quality/utility

I hate to be a downer, but I think you're probably going to have to make some trade-offs.  You can probably get any two out of those three, though #1 & #3 may not be realistic even if #2 is removed.  If you can flex on your budget (save for another month or two or whatever it takes), I think you'll be much happier in the long run.  Some folks think it is crazy to spend £40 - £60+ on a flashlight, but like many things, you often get what you pay for.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a light by the likes of Fenix, Streamlight, or Eagletac, but you'll likely pay several times your original budget.

With regard to the wavelength of 365 nm vs. 395 nm, the main advantages of 365 nm are less "nuisance" light emitted in the visible portion of the spectrum, and the fact that many common objects tend to fluoresce most strongly closer to 365 nm than 395 nm.  However, depending upon your application, these factors may or may not be important to you.  The main disadvantages are generally higher price and fewer options.  Also, keep in mind that UV lights are not lasers, i.e. the wavelength listed for them is the center and highest power of a range of wavelengths they emit; they do not emit at only a single wavelength.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 02:38:29 AM
I guess the talk of more expensive lights scared the OP off... :dunno:

us Offline Mcfal12

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 02:52:50 AM
I guess the talk of more expensive lights scared the OP off... :dunno:

Good job, Way to go! (Joking of course)  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds