Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hand Sanitizer - My New EDC

Old Boy · 183 · 5902

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Hand Sanitizer - My New EDC
on: March 09, 2020, 01:07:59 AM
Both my son and wife have a low immune system, so given the whole Corona virus thing I make it a point to use it when I can’t find soap and water.

Makes a good fire starter too if there is no moisturizers mixed in.

I vote that everyone edcs this handy tool ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Hand Sanitizer - My New EDC
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:24:56 AM
Yes, I already had a couple, but now won't leave the house without it.

It's not necessarily fear for my own health, although I already have enough health issues to contend with, I'm sure I'd be one of the majority for whom it would be a mild illness. I'm more concerned about becoming a vehicle to transmit it to more vulnerable persons (parents, pregnant sis-in-law, older members of thecommunity) particularly in the long incubation period of this disease, when folks are spreading it far and wide, before they become symptomatic and realise they're not as "perfectly healthy" as they thought they were....

Idiot shoppers are buying these items (and other things) in silly quantities, so I decided to get ahead of the curve by getting a litre supply to refill my own pocket sprays (I use the liquid type, rather than gel). I don't have a huge amount of contact with others anyway, and so am at reduced risk of exposure anyway, but am mindful of high contact areas such as handrails, lift buttons, shopping trolley handles, and commercial fridge doors, to name a few. Carrying the spray/gel is one thing, the mindfullness to be sure to use it at the right time, is another thing that needs carrying with it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 03:19:54 AM
Agree! Especially the whole panic buying thing. I’m actually forced to stockpile toilet paper otherwise my family will run out because people are buying things left and right :facepalm:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 06:27:11 AM
I already carried it. If you go to the dollar store, you can find some tiny bottles, perfect for pockets or pouches. :tu:

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:08 AM
I've never had a problem with my immune system, i'm not afraid of viruses and bacterias so I don't carry sanitizer.
If this situation with Corona get out of hand ... maybe. But not just yet.  :cheers:
 8)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:41 AM
I've never had a problem with my immune system, i'm not afraid of viruses and bacterias so I don't carry sanitizer.
It's not for you, it's for me.  ;)
(Well, not really, because I'm 1,800km from Croatia. But I hope it still makes sense!)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 12:06:51 PM
I don't EDC this but I think there's a bottle in my car and when on a trip with the kids I usually have one in my bag (sanitizer, not a kid).

Hand sanitizer is not really a virus killer though.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 12:10:25 PM
I don't EDC this but I think there's a bottle in my car and when on a trip with the kids I usually have one in my bag (sanitizer, not a kid).

Hand sanitizer is not really a virus killer though.
I see loads of people exiting the restroom without washing their hands, tho. :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

hr Offline Vjeko Posavac

Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 12:20:44 PM
It's not for you, it's for me.  ;)
(Well, not really, because I'm 1,800km from Croatia. But I hope it still makes sense!)

:rofl: :rofl: :twak:
If it is for you then i'll buy it right now!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 12:25:42 PM
I've carried sanitizer now for several years.  I wash my hands a lot as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 06:22:06 PM
I see loads of people exiting the restroom without washing their hands, tho. :facepalm:

+1 and both posts.

I prefer the soap and water approach. One thing I do: after washing, I use a paper towel to close the fawcet and open the door to leave the restroom. Only when I'm out I get rid of it.

At work, we have a thumb print reader to clock in and out. I awlways wipe it with a paper towel before using it. I haven't seen anyone else doing it. I have, however, seen a colleague lick the finger before putting it in the reader, "so as to have it recognize my print better"...

:facepalm: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 06:49:21 PM

Yepp. Drives me nuts. I think I will adopt the Japanese customs of bowing, instead of hand shaking. I know where those hands were, and what you did NOT do afterwards!  :twak:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 08:15:56 PM

Even worse when its the employees of a store, or especially restaurant. I've wrote off loads of places just because of that.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 08:18:52 PM
I was just at the community college taking a test. I saw the janitor with a can of Lysol spraying down every single surface.   I keep hand sanitizer everywhere. There's a 12 ounce or so bottle near the main entarance of the house, and a big half-gallon bottle under my bathroom sink that I use to refill the smaller bottles. On my belt loop, and my grandmother's purse (my Granddad has immune issues as well) is a 1.5 ounce Purell bottle with a clip. I carried those Bath and Body Works sold for years; even before I carried a knife as a pre-teen.

In the woods, it gets a fire started quickly, and when you've not got soap and water, it's the only hand wash. On my outdoor pack in the exterior webbing is a quarter roll of TP, and clipped to that pack of webbing is another clip-on bottle of Purell.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:00 PM
+1 and both posts.

I prefer the soap and water approach. One thing I do: after washing, I use a paper towel to close the fawcet and open the door to leave the restroom. Only when I'm out I get rid of it.

At work, we have a thumb print reader to clock in and out. I awlways wipe it with a paper towel before using it. I haven't seen anyone else doing it. I have, however, seen a colleague lick the finger before putting it in the reader, "so as to have it recognize my print better"...

:rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 09:25:55 PM
+1 and both posts.

Yum.... Coworker spit. :drool:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 01:24:51 AM
I have tiny bottles of hand sanitizer attached to my key rings and on the carry straps of my EDC bags.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 05:31:43 AM
If this situation with Corona get out of hand ... maybe. But not just yet.  :cheers:
 8)

Please - it's not for you, it's for your friends and family.  Anyone who doesn't have a strong immune system or anyone with a chronic medical condition is at risk.  Even if you don't get sick you can transmit infections.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 02:57:21 PM
Please - it's not for you, it's for your friends and family.  Anyone who doesn't have a strong immune system or anyone with a chronic medical condition is at risk.  Even if you don't get sick you can transmit infections.
Good call!

+1 and both posts.

I do exactly the same thing.  It's silly how many people go to bathroom and leaving without washing their hands, and if you grab that same handle bar...yuck.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 04:08:57 PM
I have taught my kids how disgusting it is to touch what we tend to touch throughout the day then touch, food, our face, each other, and so on.  My kids are conscientious hand washers thankfully.     

What I find interesting are those who wear masks yet touch surfaces in a typical day outside the home and not wash their hands then touch their face :dunno:.  Correct hand washing is important for the sake of us all.  Hand sanitizer is great when hand washing cannot be done.  I agree with NOT touching any surface after you have washed your hands in a public lavatory.  I've taught my kids to use the provided paper towels as some of you mentioned however here in my city, the use of air dryers is more prevalent.

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
100% hand dryers at my school, so grab some TP/bog roll before you leave!

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18:24 PM
EDC a few paper towels  :tu:.  Sad thing is, TP is now at a premium in some stores  :facepalm:.  The foolishness of the herd mentality sometimes hurts my brain  :think:.

Went to the store last night and it had water and TP, we went for ice cream  :whistle:.  The lady in the isle said big box stores were out as well as local Wally World. 

Boy, thats the first thing I grab when preparing for a pandemic.  Hey at least I can wipe my arse  :salute:.  Funny enough just for kicks we went to the dry good isle and you guessed it, stocked full.  Dried rice, beans. flour, canned items, and all the things we'd grab so yay us  :woohoo:

Snarky mode off, sorry.   :rofl:       
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 07:02:28 PM
100% hand dryers at my school, so grab some TP/bog roll before you leave!

This is also where a handkerchief comes in handy. Of course don‘t use it afterwards on your nose, but wash it  :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 11:46:45 PM
Hand sanitation is an essential policy that we've always practiced as a family. We have the small alcohol gel bottles everywhere.  :salute:
What I really struggle with is (not) touching my face. Very difficult to ignore that itch or rub you eyes. And I find the more I try not to, the more conscious I am of doing it!  :facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:33 AM
I actually believe that face masks should be worn by everyone since you could be infected but no symptoms. But I am guessing they are advising against it to ensure we have a ready supply for folks who really need it like nurses, emt, etc. which I heartily support.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 12:11:15 AM
I actually believe that face masks should be worn by everyone since you could be infected but no symptoms. But I am guessing they are advising against it to ensure we have a ready supply for folks who really need it like nurses, emt, etc. which I heartily support.

... and to deter the hard of thinking from assuming that wearing a mask will make them immune from contracting it...

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 12:18:08 AM
... and to deter the hard of thinking from assuming that wearing a mask will make them immune from contracting it...

So true!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:56 AM
Hand sanitation is an essential policy that we've always practiced as a family. We have the small alcohol gel bottles everywhere.  :salute:
What I really struggle with is (not) touching my face. Very difficult to ignore that itch or rub you eyes. And I find the more I try not to, the more conscious I am of doing it!  :facepalm:

Same issues here  :facepalm:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 04:21:11 PM
If your serious about using a hand sanitizer constantly don’t use alcohol based ones. The reality is that they begin to damage the native bacteria that your body needs for protection. There are other consequences as well.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 08:24:45 PM
I’ll gladly forfeit the bacterial colonies on my hands to reduce the risk of contracting an incurable viral infection. I’m sure I have enough colonies elsewhere in and on my body to make up for a small part being sterile.  :cheers:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%