Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hand Sanitizer - My New EDC

Old Boy · 183 · 5903

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Hand Sanitizer - My New EDC
Reply #30 on: March 11, 2020, 08:51:51 PM
If your serious about using a hand sanitizer constantly don’t use alcohol based ones. The reality is that they begin to damage the native bacteria that your body needs for protection. There are other consequences as well.

Wait, is there a sanitizer that kills viruses but not your bacteria?  ???
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:02 PM
Wait, is there a sanitizer that kills viruses but not your bacteria?  ???

No... and you actually need higher concentrations of alcohol (> 60%) to kill COVID-19.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2020, 12:22:21 AM
If your serious about using a hand sanitizer constantly don’t use alcohol based ones. The reality is that they begin to damage the native bacteria that your body needs for protection. There are other consequences as well.

I've worked in a hospital for 15 years and I've used alcoholgel (the real stuff, used in the E.R. and O.R.) on a daily base, about 25 times a day. 

And I can say that this stuff ruins your hands, when used correctly (not like some people do, pump 2 times and rub their hands a bit). 

Especially in wintertime, when the skin is prone to drying out, it can become a truly painful but necessary experience.

I've quit my hospital job two months ago (and I'm glad I did, especially in the current situation), but stil I find myself following all the guidelines when it comes to hand hygiene.  Closing watertabs with a piece of paper and opening doors using my elbow after washing my hands.

I've been to the docter last Friday and again today, because I'm suffering from pneumonia in my left long (no, I do not have you know what...I've had the flew four weeks ago, which turned into a nasty cough, and instead of staying home from work to rest and recover, I just kept working, until I noticed that I couldn't go up the stairs anymore without being out of breath).

But going to the docter is an absolute nightmare for me. I try to open the door of the waiting room and the one from the doctor's office with my right hand, not to use that hand for anything else until I've had the chance to disinfect it, I even ask the doctor when I enter her office if I can use her alcoholgel to disinfect my hands, which is never a problem (she knows me, and she knows I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to stuff like that).  In the past I've even waited outside in the rain until it was my turn to go into the doctor's office, because the waiting room was way too crowded...

:facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2020, 04:14:51 AM
Hoping for a full and speedy recovery TG24. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2020, 04:38:19 AM
Hoping for a full and speedy recovery TG24. 

+1  :cheers:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #35 on: March 12, 2020, 09:05:28 AM
+1  :cheers:

Thanks guys  :salute:.

My days are quite simple, rest, take medicines and eat, rest, take medicines and eat, and so on...

And try to meet as less people as possible to minimize the risk of catching the new bug...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2020, 09:17:45 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:.

My days are quite simple, rest, take medicines and eat, rest, take medicines and eat, and so on...

And try to meet as less people as possible to minimize the risk of catching the new bug...

Good luck with the flu, I too wish you a speedy recovery.  It's interesting how you mentioned people just pump and rub for a bit, and I still need to remind myself nowadays to wash my hands thoroughly for a good 20-30sec, instead of just rub and rinse.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 12, 2020, 03:15:48 PM
I hope with the media attention more people will recognize hand washing is an important step in everyday comings and goings.  The stuff we touch when out and about  :ahhh.     
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #38 on: March 12, 2020, 09:14:38 PM
Good luck with the flu, I too wish you a speedy recovery.  It's interesting how you mentioned people just pump and rub for a bit, and I still need to remind myself nowadays to wash my hands thoroughly for a good 20-30sec, instead of just rub and rinse.

Thanks man  :salute:.

The flu (and not "flew" like I typed in my first post  :facepalm:) was gone in a couple of days, but the cough stayed, and after 3 or 4 weeks this cough had turned into pneumonia in my left lung.

It feels like we're taking steps (be it babysteps) in the right direction day by day.  But I have to admit that I'm a bit scared for Covid-19 to find its way into our home, since I'm still feeling quite weak from my current pneumonia.

And yes, people should pay more attention to washing their hands, and when they do, make sure they do it in the correct way.

But people are so sure that it's all a bit exaggerated and the situation will not spin out of control all the sudden, even to the point of laughing with people who buy some extra stuff in the supermarket just in case...

They can laugh all that they want...

Show content

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 12:09:19 AM
Thanks man  :salute:.

The flu (and not "flew" like I typed in my first post  :facepalm:) was gone in a couple of days, but the cough stayed, and after 3 or 4 weeks this cough had turned into pneumonia in my left lung.

It feels like we're taking steps (be it babysteps) in the right direction day by day.  But I have to admit that I'm a bit scared for Covid-19 to find its way into our home, since I'm still feeling quite weak from my current pneumonia.

And yes, people should pay more attention to washing their hands, and when they do, make sure they do it in the correct way.

But people are so sure that it's all a bit exaggerated and the situation will not spin out of control all the sudden, even to the point of laughing with people who buy some extra stuff in the supermarket just in case...

They can laugh all that they want...

Show content

Not to get nitpicky but...

Influenza virus, Cough, and Bacterial Pneumonia are three separate illnesses with separate causes.  One doesn't "turn into" the next.  Sometimes they're actually just the first or the third, and sometimes lightning does strike thrice when you've already been slapped around from the first of the three!  Being in a weakened state puts you at risk for other things. 

Everyone should look into the differences.  Knowing is half the battle.

Feel better TG   :salute:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #40 on: March 13, 2020, 01:16:04 AM

Not to get nitpicky but...

Influenza virus, Cough, and Bacterial Pneumonia are three separate illnesses with separate causes.  One doesn't "turn into" the next.  Sometimes they're actually just the first or the third, and sometimes lightning does strike thrice when you've already been slapped around from the first of the three!  Being in a weakened state puts you at risk for other things. 

Everyone should look into the differences.  Knowing is half the battle.

Feel better TG   :salute:

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Now, to be precise, influenza and bacterial pneumonia are two illnesses, while cough is a symptom of both of them.

When we (Misses TG24, our youngest daughter, our oldest son and yours truly) showed the first signs of influenza 4 weeks ago we all had our blood checked, and we all showed signs of flu, but in the blood samples of my oldest son they also found signs of a bacterial infection.

So, my wife, our little girl and myself just had to make sure to take a lot of rest, and maybe take something to counter things like headache and fever.  While my son had to take antibiotics to fight his beginning bacterial infection.

The wife is at home at the moment with a fractured wrist, and our girl will turn 4 in april, so we just kept her home from school, so both of them had time to rest and both of them were doing better after two weeks or so.  My son also stayed home from school for a week and also got better. But me...

Well, I rested all I could during the weekends, but didn't want to call in sick at work, so just kept working, resting in the weekend, working, and so on...

And my cough never went away, until I started noticing I was out of breath after walking up the stairs, and started feeling some pain in my left lung. Went back to the doctor, had an x-ray from my lungs and it was very clear to see what the problem was.  So I probably picked up my son's bacteria while being in a weakened state recovering from the flu (and not resting enough by refusing to stay home from work).

I know the difference between a virus and a bacteria, and between an illness and a symptom. I just wanted to describe our situation, which started with the flu and ended up with pneumonia for me, as briefly as I could, so not like I did just now...  ::)

Anyway, what was this topic about.... Ah yes, hand sanitizer as part of your EDC  :whistle:.

I always have alcohol gel in my backpack's hip pocket when we're on vacation or away on a hike, just because it has more than one use, so it makes a lot of sense to bring it along in my humble opinion.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 13, 2020, 01:53:16 AM
Thanks mate  :salute:.

Now, to be precise, influenza and bacterial pneumonia are two illnesses, while cough is a symptom of both of them.

When we (Misses TG24, our youngest daughter, our oldest son and yours truly) showed the first signs of influenza 4 weeks ago we all had our blood checked, and we all showed signs of flu, but in the blood samples of my oldest son they also found signs of a bacterial infection.

So, my wife, our little girl and myself just had to make sure to take a lot of rest, and maybe take something to counter things like headache and fever.  While my son had to take antibiotics to fight his beginning bacterial infection.

The wife is at home at the moment with a fractured wrist, and our girl will turn 4 in april, so we just kept her home from school, so both of them had time to rest and both of them were doing better after two weeks or so.  My son also stayed home from school for a week and also got better. But me...

Well, I rested all I could during the weekends, but didn't want to call in sick at work, so just kept working, resting in the weekend, working, and so on...

And my cough never went away, until I started noticing I was out of breath after walking up the stairs, and started feeling some pain in my left lung. Went back to the doctor, had an x-ray from my lungs and it was very clear to see what the problem was.  So I probably picked up my son's bacteria while being in a weakened state recovering from the flu (and not resting enough by refusing to stay home from work).

I know the difference between a virus and a bacteria, and between an illness and a symptom. I just wanted to describe our situation, which started with the flu and ended up with pneumonia for me, as briefly as I could, so not like I did just now...  ::)

Anyway, what was this topic about.... Ah yes, hand sanitizer as part of your EDC  :whistle:.

I always have alcohol gel in my backpack's hip pocket when we're on vacation or away on a hike, just because it has more than one use, so it makes a lot of sense to bring it along in my humble opinion.

:hatsoff:

Thanks for sharing!

The more we know about these various conditions, the better we will get at avoiding illnesses, and at managing them if they do occur. 

And yes - back to the topic!  I, for one, had never wandered around with hand sanitizer gel, but I have been using those sanitizing wipes for years.  I had always assumed that they would make good tinder in a pinch.  It turns out, I tested that theory a few months ago, and it's not true.   It smolders and melts in parts, does nothing in others, and actually puts the fire out if you're really unlucky. 

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #42 on: March 13, 2020, 10:00:09 AM
This stuff is nowhere to be found, I went into 4 stores and the shelves were empty, I'm running low on the little travel bottles I keep in the car and use after a store visit,  :ahhh

england Offline Kev D

Reply #43 on: March 13, 2020, 10:49:58 AM
They fitted hand sanitiser dispensers at all the entrances to our offices at work yesterday and outside all the important control rooms.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 13, 2020, 11:41:30 AM
:hatsoff:

Thanks for sharing!

The more we know about these various conditions, the better we will get at avoiding illnesses, and at managing them if they do occur. 

And yes - back to the topic!  I, for one, had never wandered around with hand sanitizer gel, but I have been using those sanitizing wipes for years.  I had always assumed that they would make good tinder in a pinch.  It turns out, I tested that theory a few months ago, and it's not true.   It smolders and melts in parts, does nothing in others, and actually puts the fire out if you're really unlucky. 

That's an interesting little test.  I am not an expert in hand sanitize or public health, but that result is gonna make you wonder how the sanitizer works, and if it is alcohol based, is there sufficient enough to kill bacteria or virus if it puts out fire.

I don't work in a hospital but did use 75% alcohol swipe for hands cleaning from time to time, and like Top-Gear-24 said earlier, that thing torn up my hand quickly if I use it frequently(couple times a day), especially in winter time.  If I have a choice, I'd rather to stick with the good old soap and water.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #45 on: March 13, 2020, 12:42:49 PM
Soap and water is proven to be effective anyway.
Sanitizer is better than nothing, but if you can wash your hands, wash them!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2020, 12:52:47 PM
 :iagree:
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #47 on: March 13, 2020, 02:24:40 PM
Soap and water is proven to be effective anyway.
Sanitizer is better than nothing, but if you can wash your hands, wash them!

I agree, but...

Once again, washing your hands only works when you do it in the correct way, which means every part of the hand, each finger individually (also the thumb), concentrate around and under the fingernails, and last but not least, do all of this long enough.

In the hospital we had alcoholgel next to each chamber door, and a couple of spots on each department where you could wash your hands with soap and water.  But even the special dissinfecting soap they use in hospitals had instructions on the bottle that read how long you had to wash your hands to get rid of which bacteria/virus.  And for some of them this meant washing your hands for 40 seconds at least.

Just have a look at how long people wash their hands on average, water, one or two pumps of soap, rub rub for about 5 to 10 max, water (close the tap with their "clean" hands) and done...

I've been ridiculed more than once while washing my hands, most of the time by people who had no idea what they're talking about.  Luckily I have a big back  ;).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: March 13, 2020, 02:28:19 PM
I do hope whats comes as a result of the news is as you mention TG24, the proper way to wash your hands.  I too watch people "wash" and its really a rinse.   I've always asked if you were to inadvertently to grab human poo ( I know gross ) would you wash your hands different that you do? 

I'm pretty sure most would scrub the heck out of their hand, especially if I was also hand them a slice of pizza. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 04:25:43 PM
I do hope whats comes as a result of the news is as you mention TG24, the proper way to wash your hands.  I too watch people "wash" and its really a rinse.   I've always asked if you were to inadvertently to grab human poo ( I know gross ) would you wash your hands different that you do? 

I'm pretty sure most would scrub the heck out of their hand, especially if I was also hand them a slice of pizza. 

I think TG24 brought up a really good point--which I did include that in my hand washing routine and insist everyone at home doing the same: wash not only the hands, but also rub on the soap pump handle, water tap handle or even toilet flush button/bar. 

It may sound funny and somewhat phobia, but it's not hard to imagine what could happen if everyone's bathroom routine is different than yours...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: March 13, 2020, 04:34:00 PM
So much here in my city's been cancelled.  Schools, church, events, and I'm sure we've not seen the last of this. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 16, 2020, 08:03:44 AM
At this point I’m a bit more concerned with people and the panic reaction.

I really hope we all remember to be kind. Stay safe.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:30 AM
I have carried hand sanitizer wipes as part of my edc for several years as an option for when hand washing is not possible.

I also carry an antimicrobial microfiber cloth  in my pocket to use on doors or other things that I need to touch in public and don’t have disposable napkin or paper towel available.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:31 PM
It's unfortunate that those two guys bought up 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer and now there's none left for the rest of us. 

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 16, 2020, 11:33:33 PM
It's unfortunate that those two guys bought up 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer and now there's none left for the rest of us.

Last I heard he donated it and is facing legal trouble, income loss, as well as death threats. Karma.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 11:40:20 PM
How in the smurf do you get ahold of 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer? I don't even think that at any point, there were ever that many for sale in my town.

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:43 PM
I mentioned it on IG but worth repeating here, leave the lip balm at home...think about it  :think:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 17, 2020, 01:11:20 AM
How in the smurf do you get ahold of 17,000 bottles of hand sanitizer? I don't even think that at any point, there were ever that many for sale in my town.

one brother cleaned out every store in two states, the other brother stayed home and sold them online for upwards of $70 each to desperate people.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #58 on: March 17, 2020, 03:30:59 AM
one brother cleaned out every store in two states, the other brother stayed home and sold them online for upwards of $70 each to desperate people.

1,300 mile driving... I can barely stay awake on 80 mile trip  :P

Offline stugumby

Reply #59 on: March 17, 2020, 10:01:42 PM
My local area is truly inept, had a diagnosed person sent home from the dr and ignored dr orders and went about his biz. now the cops are guarding his dumb ass. local stores are open, no sanitizer etc, gets resupplied but gone by 10 am. food is short as well, meats etc, gone by 10 am. i work in the security biz and we are fully employed, no layoffs etc, but now people are milking the kids sent home routine etc. im more worried about all the people stuck at home getting short of money with too much time on their hands. lots of idle time creates an especially dumb brand of dumbass, especially with these local hard headed hill billies. as long as public works remain in place and power/water is staying on we might be ok for a month or 2. kids will get on parents nerves and they will send them out and it wont stay contained. if shortages persist and it gets worse some dipsmurf with an ar-15 will shoot up the meat section etc and then anarchy will  begin. i hope they use the natl guard and military to best advantage, sherriff bubba isnt gonna last long with throngs of panicked armed people going rouge to survive another day. also had a bottom feeder get shot trying to rob a small pharmacy here. so lets all hope science can mitigate this before its going to forever alter our existance.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%