Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brass rods replacement possibility?

Offline Jake05

Brass rods replacement possibility?
on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:41 PM
Do y'all think this thread plus two nuts on each end could replace the brass rods? I'd file down the nuts as small as I can until the scales fit on and then I'd glue the scales back on.
This particular picture is an m2.2 thread, I'd need to find a 2.5 thread for the outer rods.
Capture+_2020-03-20-18-47-27.jpg
* Capture+_2020-03-20-18-47-27.jpg (Filesize: 37.04 KB)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Brass rods replacement possibility?
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 12:54:05 AM
Idk, to be honest. I had a very similar idea when considering modding a liner lock 111mm.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 02:12:36 AM
Do y'all think this thread plus two nuts on each end could replace the brass rods? I'd file down the nuts as small as I can until the scales fit on and then I'd glue the scales back on.
This particular picture is an m2.2 thread, I'd need to find a 2.5 thread for the outer rods.

I think it's feasible and maybe the challenge is to find one that fits.  Ideally, it probably will be better to have the threads start only when it meets the outer most liners, and to adjust the tension just right to put the thread lock on to secure it.

I'd read your other thread about using this method to mod a Huntsman lite to add in car and house keys, is that the motivation behind the mod?

Offline Jake05

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 02:15:25 AM
I think it's feasible and maybe the challenge is to find one that fits.  Ideally, it probably will be better to have the threads start only when it meets the outer most liners, and to adjust the tension just right to put the thread lock on to secure it.

I'd read your other thread about using this method to mod a Huntsman lite to add in car and house keys, is that the motivation behind the mod?

Yes that is the motivation. And I was planning on tightening the bolts down to the desired tightness, and then filing down the remaining thread. I can't seem to find a 2.2mm thread for the middle rivets though, so I think I might just use a 2mm thread and hope it works

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:43:30 AM
Yes that is the motivation. And I was planning on tightening the bolts down to the desired tightness, and then filing down the remaining thread. I can't seem to find a 2.2mm thread for the middle rivets though, so I think I might just use a 2mm thread and hope it works

I think if you could find 2mm rod, that might work, especially the floating pin.

But just a kind word of caution, I made myself a key organizer with kydex as the outer shell, it worked flawlessly but the 'torque' generated by the 'bundle' was so great that one time I almost torn a key in half inside the keyhole.  So please do be careful when you are turning your ignition on.

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 07:26:21 PM
I think @Max Stone tried something like this recently.  You might be able to find his thread over on the modding forum.  If I recall correctly, he concluded that the protruding fasteners were kind of a drag. 

Edit -- I found Max's thread.  Have a look here:  https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,82698.msg2007114.html#msg2007114
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:44:19 PM by Myron »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
December Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: $50.00
PayPal Fees: $3.08
Net Balance: $46.92
Below Goal: $253.08
Site Currency: USD