Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GEC Fixed Blades?

Aloha · 54 · 4080

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
GEC Fixed Blades?
on: March 11, 2020, 04:32:21 PM
Just been browsing and came across a few neat fixed blades from GEC.  Anyone got any?  I've looked at The Sabre Hunter in 2 sizes H23316 and H73316 and a very traditional looking one in a few sizes H10118/H30119/H40119.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: GEC Fixed Blades?
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 11:50:36 PM
I have a H20018. Havent used it much yet.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:11:37 AM
I have two, and do like them quite a bit:

It's very simple design and well pretty well balanced knife.  The sheath is pretty good quality as well.  However, I haven't put them in any 'hard' use, so can't comment how they would really perform in harder use.

Smaller one is H10118 with a 3.25 actual blade(not counting Ricasso), I have a med/L size hand and I could fit all my four fingers on the handle alright(but not the fleshy end part of the plam).

Bigger one is H40119 with a 4" actual blade, with a much larger handle, I could fit my hand onto this perfectly and a good firm grip.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 03:08:57 PM
 :dd: Is the blade thickness on both those knives the same comis?

I love the looks of the sheaths.  I thought the smaller one would be a neat all around knife like my Izula.  I also thought the price was fair.   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 08:18:05 AM
:dd: Is the blade thickness on both those knives the same comis?

I love the looks of the sheaths.  I thought the smaller one would be a neat all around knife like my Izula.  I also thought the price was fair.   

They actually aren't the same thickness, measuring at the thickest part of the blade near ricasso, the bigger knife is 2.5mm thick while the smaller one is 2mm thick.  And this thickness maintains until 1/3 way into the blade, and starts to taper all the way to the tip.

What I like most about them is the lightweight, the larger one being at 107g and smaller at 67g, while both are full tang is pretty awesome.  I also quite like the guard and the full flat grind, making them a favorite for small daily tasks.

The sheath is pretty well made, the only drawback is the button snap exposed inside the sheath, so it make 'scratch' up the blade as you pull it in and out.  But it's on the side without the logo, so it doesn't affect appearance too much.

I remember you like smaller fixed/neck knife, so these are pretty good candidates if you like carbon steel.

Btw, I have been a pretty big fan of BK14 and just discovered that I totally missing out on the Izula 2.  It has that extra 1/2 inch that BK14 is missing on the handle, and it could very well be my next favorite small fixed blade.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:02:08 PM
 :salute:.  Yes I do love a small fixed blade and when I stumbled upon these I was  :ahhh.  I was surprised they didn't get a much talk but I guess GEC lovers heavily lean toward their folders  :dunno:.  The fixed blade folks would likely lean elsewhere?

I'd love to get both in hand but no stores near me.  I saw the H30 and thought that might be the sweet spot  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
:salute:.  Yes I do love a small fixed blade and when I stumbled upon these I was  :ahhh.  I was surprised they didn't get a much talk but I guess GEC lovers heavily lean toward their folders  :dunno:.  The fixed blade folks would likely lean elsewhere?

I'd love to get both in hand but no stores near me.  I saw the H30 and thought that might be the sweet spot  :think:

I just read it's spec, and it does sound like a cross between the two.  It is a pretty, cool offering which I too think could be undermined.  I think BRK is one of the few that offer thin, lightweight and full tang knife, but they also price it much higher.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 01:34:28 PM
I don't dislike carbon at all.  I'm intrigued for sure.  The style is very attractive to me eye as well.   8)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 07:32:43 AM
Well I did it. My first GEC and a fixed blade  :D.  I decided to get the H30 which sits between what you have comis.  I couldn't figure out if the H10 would be too small and the H40 IMO was larger than I was wanting. 

Its a light knife.  I really like the design and thinness of the blade.  Its a good fit in my hand so I think the H10 might have been feeling like a 3 finger knife which is not a bad thing.  I think this size will make a good all around day to day knife.  I see what you mean about the snap rubbing the knife  :twak:.  Its too bad they didn't solve that.  While its not on the side with the etch its still not a good thing. 

I think now I'll have to see what the fuss is about regarding their folders.  While its a nice knife I'm not over the moon.  Its a fair price paid and I'm glad I didn't have to pay over $100.

I do need to take care of the edge, more like refine it.  Its very sharp but the roughness is not something I like.  I'll take it to my 1k whetstone and refine it then strop it.   
IMG_1165.jpg
* IMG_1165.jpg (Filesize: 137.95 KB)
IMG_1167.jpg
* IMG_1167.jpg (Filesize: 128.65 KB)
IMG_1168.jpg
* IMG_1168.jpg (Filesize: 149.31 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 08:34:51 AM
Their fixed blades don't get much love. The main reason stated, from what I recall, was that they were expensive for what they are and that there were many other quality/interesting options, traditional, in fixed blades.

I have considered buying one but I usually end up buying a slipjoint from GEC instead.

Being GEC I expect it will serve you well.

Go stab something and chop some wood then :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 09:20:23 AM
I'll pick up one of their slip joint offerings at some point.  Its a fair price for what I'm sure will be a well used knife.  Tomorrow once I square away the edge it'll go straight on my hip and put to use as the needs arise.  I do like the style very much.  I don't know much about their heat treat but I would imagine its good.   

Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 09:27:08 AM
Well, remembering now, I do have one of their letter openers, technically a fixed blade, and it has served me well for 7 years - I think it was about $20 at the time
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 11:00:00 AM
Well I did it. My first GEC and a fixed blade  :D.  I decided to get the H30 which sits between what you have comis.  I couldn't figure out if the H10 would be too small and the H40 IMO was larger than I was wanting. 

Its a light knife.  I really like the design and thinness of the blade.  Its a good fit in my hand so I think the H10 might have been feeling like a 3 finger knife which is not a bad thing.  I think this size will make a good all around day to day knife.  I see what you mean about the snap rubbing the knife  :twak:.  Its too bad they didn't solve that.  While its not on the side with the etch its still not a good thing. 

I think now I'll have to see what the fuss is about regarding their folders.  While its a nice knife I'm not over the moon.  Its a fair price paid and I'm glad I didn't have to pay over $100.

I do need to take care of the edge, more like refine it.  Its very sharp but the roughness is not something I like.  I'll take it to my 1k whetstone and refine it then strop it.   
Just read this, and looks like you are going to have fun with this!  Do enjoy the new blade.

I do like the GEC traditional slip joints a lot, their workmanship is good, and fit and finish is great given the nature of natural material (save a few that are notorious for really strong pull).  After seeing a few youtube videos about how they made them, I respect them even more and think of it as a way to support the traditional knife makers.

There is nothing wrong about modern slip joints utilizing synthetic material at all, but given the similar price range, some modern slip joints really does lack the 'soul' and the fit and finish is sub par.(for example, the Lionsteel Bestmade has really busy lines and nothing is flush on that knife).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 04:41:51 PM
Well after a little time with this blade I am happy with it.  I've removed most of the grinding marks from edge.  What can I say I like looking at knife bevels with a loop  :dunno:

Its a slicer and feel good in hand.  For some cutting the top guard is in the way for me.  Its a nice simple traditional design which appeals to me a lot.  The thin blade is also something I really like.  I've carried it everyday since getting it mostly at home but I did take it out over the weekend.  My go to work knife is a Jumpmaster or HEST both are great in that role.  This knife was bought to carry at home for small chores around the house.  It wasn't a great knife in my work role but thats ok. 

Its developing patina rather quickly.  I am careful to remove and replace the knife so the snap doesnt scratch the blade.  This knife is a user but unneeded scratching is not cool.     
IMG_1186.jpg
* IMG_1186.jpg (Filesize: 195.13 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 09:51:55 AM
Great that it’s working out. It will be patina’d up nicely in no time.
Andrew

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 03:30:48 PM
Well after a little time with this blade I am happy with it.  I've removed most of the grinding marks from edge.  What can I say I like looking at knife bevels with a loop  :dunno:

Its a slicer and feel good in hand.  For some cutting the top guard is in the way for me.  Its a nice simple traditional design which appeals to me a lot.  The thin blade is also something I really like.  I've carried it everyday since getting it mostly at home but I did take it out over the weekend.  My go to work knife is a Jumpmaster or HEST both are great in that role.  This knife was bought to carry at home for small chores around the house.  It wasn't a great knife in my work role but thats ok. 

Its developing patina rather quickly.  I am careful to remove and replace the knife so the snap doesnt scratch the blade.  This knife is a user but unneeded scratching is not cool.     
Very glad to see you are getting along well with this, the patina should look awesome in time.  For the snap scratch, I am wondering maybe we should glued a piece of cloth over that area, so we won't have to worry about the scratch?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 03:46:53 PM
I very well may do that.  I'll take a look at the sheath today and decide how to un stitch before I proceed. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 03:56:49 PM
I very well may do that.  I'll take a look at the sheath today and decide how to un stitch before I proceed. 

There I was just thinking how I could open it wide enough to allow a patch, but if you have the skill to re-stitch it, that'd be a great permanent fix! :tu: :popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 02:09:26 PM
Well I did what you suggested and opened the space up just enough to slide a strip of gorilla duct tape in and cover the snap.  We'll see how long this "fix" will hold.  I took a look at the stitching and it would not be terribly difficult to undo and put a proper solution together.  I have the materials ( sinew, needle ) to perform the task.  I figured I'd try this simple solution and see how it goes.  I've actually used this method on another snap issue.  That snap was a lot more accessible but it has held decently. 

The picture is looking down into the sheath.  Thanks comis for the suggestion  :salute:
IMG_1204.jpg
* IMG_1204.jpg (Filesize: 64.28 KB)

* IMG_1206.jpg (Filesize: 17.41 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: November 11, 2020, 06:45:46 PM
More tweaking to get the edge even more slicey means more carry time.  Patina is really coming along.  The Gorilla tape is holding very well. 
IMG_1668.jpg
* IMG_1668.jpg (Filesize: 317.69 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 07:02:12 PM
More tweaking to get the edge even more slicey means more carry time.  Patina is really coming along.  The Gorilla tape is holding very well. 

:like:  Glad to see the gorilla tape holding up well. :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:32 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 11, 2020, 09:20:05 PM
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 08:23:20 AM
It’s colouring up very nicely.  :tu:
Andrew

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 01:26:15 AM
Still liking my GEC fixie.   Now its got a friend.  I keep it busy in the kitchen and my meat cutting knife.  Its got a well earned patina as a go to kitchen prep knife.  The little guy is just photo bombing.   :D
IMG_1977.jpg
* IMG_1977.jpg (Filesize: 179.41 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 01:27:47 AM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:01 AM
 8)    :tu:
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 01:49:11 PM
It has a great yesteryear charm.
Andrew

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 04:25:22 PM
Much like me  :rofl:.  I'm old enough to be retro or am I vintage?   
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 05:36:44 PM
Still liking my GEC fixie.   Now its got a friend.  I keep it busy in the kitchen and my meat cutting knife.  Its got a well earned patina as a go to kitchen prep knife.  The little guy is just photo bombing.   :D
Lovely companion!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD