Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best SAK to go with Swisstool Spirit?

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best SAK to go with Swisstool Spirit?
Reply #60 on: May 14, 2020, 05:03:22 AM
I tend to pair my Spirit X with a Voyager Lite.

I am given to understand that the lights on these are very dim. I think I prefer a torch on my keychain  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #61 on: May 14, 2020, 05:08:14 AM
The Spirit has almost everything you could need for, except:
- Corkscrew. Maybe you never used one, but whenever you do need it, you'll be so happy to have it. I mostly use it to scrape dirt, or hardened mud from objects.
- Tweezers.
- Pincet.
- Micro screwdriver (can also be used as a small nail.)
- Needle.
- Awl with sewing hole.

My choice would be the Compact or Spartan. No need to carry two scissors, wood and metal saws.
If you're looking for a compact replacement in case you loose your Spirit, I would opt for the Handyman.

My advice is not to carry the knives in the same pocket. Or if you do, secure at least one with a piece of rope to your clothing. In case of emergency and exhaustion people tend to become careless. For example they unbutton their pockets, and do not close them afterwards. You bend over (no, my name is not Ben Dover) and the knives slip out of your breast pocket into the river, underbrush or deep snow.

I would prefer the Compact over the Spartan, avoiding the opener layer that we have on the Spirit already. I agree with the Handyman, one of my favorite models even though it doesn’t get much love around here.

I agree with securing SAKs, I had one slip out of my pocket more then once, so now they are always on a lanyard, micro clip or belt hanger  :cheers:

The Waiter I ordered came in today, so I will carry it starting tomorrow. Will see if I miss the Compact I used for the last few days.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: May 14, 2020, 11:27:27 AM
Into the housing? Isn’t that too small for regular bits? What am I missing here  :think:
It's 4mm bits (not 1/4" bits), for precision screw-drivers. They are fairly common (e.g. from Wiha/Wera/Kraftwerk etc.). Pretty much the bits you see in all those smart-phone repair kits.
One my favorite kit is from Xiaomi/Wiha and you can find it anywhere (just make sure it is not a knock-off, look at the color of the bits).

P.S.: I would stay away from no-name brand bits, especially if they are shiny silver. They are usually crappy quality and as always it pays to pay a bit more.
xiaomiwhia.jpg
* xiaomiwhia.jpg (Filesize: 109.06 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #63 on: May 14, 2020, 03:23:38 PM
Oh that makes sense! Thanks for the clarification  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #64 on: May 15, 2020, 06:49:22 PM
Waiter and Spirit work pretty well together  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69