Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which steel?

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Which steel?
on: March 14, 2020, 03:55:04 AM
I am currently building a Benchmade in the Custom Shop. It will be a Mini Griptillian. Blade shape (sheepsfoot, serrated, black coated), handle (orange), and hardware (black everything) are all nailed down, just not the steel. I'm split between 3 different steels. S30V is tough and very wear resistant, and costs nothing extra. D2 is even tougher, and more wear resistance (and $5? if I remember correctly extra), and M4 HSS (which is a carbon tool steel, not rust resistant at all, but extremely tough, and extremely wear resistant. It also has the most premium cost.  I have never tried a knife in S30V or M4. I have a Queen Railsplitter in D2, which I've never been able to get sharp. My current Mini Grip is slightly older, and thus was made when 154CM was Benchmade's go-to steel.

Serrations and tough steel are requirements for a work knife, but corrosion resistance is still pretty up there, but unimportant.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Re: Which steel?
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 05:18:09 AM
Hi Cody.  D2 is a tough tool-steel, and a challenge to sharpen.  I know, because I have serveral knives in this steel.  Personally, the S30V will probably be your best bet.  Since it has a decent amount of chromium for corrosion-resistance properties.  440C is great for a general-purpose field-knife, one that is easy-to-sharpen, but requires extra-attention to prevent rusting.  M4 alloy is harder than S30V with a Rockwell Hardness of 63-65.  My Zero Tolerance folders are S30V, and are great, but require a little-more effort to sharpen.  But they hold an edge extremely-well!
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:19:13 AM
Personally, I'd go for S30V, purely because I go for stainless on everything, just to make life easier. D2, as you already know, is a swine to sharpen. However, if you can get a working edge on it, it will last a good while. The carbon should be straight forward (relatively, for a serrated blade) to maintain the edge, but I don't know how eager it is to get brown and furry, or how much the black coating will protect it.

The only reservation I have on S30V, is the powder metallurgy steels can be a little prone to chipping... but I don't see that being much of a hindrance on a serrated blade ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 05:37:35 AM
I have no experience with M4 but my recent experience with D2 is that it will stain.  I have a Native in S30V thats fully serrated and its pretty sweet.  Of your choices I'd go that route.  It'll give you great performance and little trouble.  I've had no issues with chipping or really anything for that matter.  Good luck with your choice.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Online cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 12:22:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys! S30V it is then.

AG Russell is currently doing a special on the black handle, partially serrated S30V sheepsfoot.   While the scales are black, as opposed to orange as I wanted, that's fixable with custom G-10 scales. And, $75 is a lot better than the $135 quote Benchmade gave on my custom build in S30V.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%