Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.

Aloha · 56 · 3145

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.
on: March 26, 2020, 03:07:57 PM
I wanted to do a Old Hickory mod for a while.  I looked over some threads I made when I got my first OH Knife.  I had intentions of doing a re handle but never got around to doing it.  I actually keep that knife in my kitchen now and use it often.  I have a total of three and 2 are on kitchen duty while one was my yard knife.  Ok so back story complete. 

I took a heavy duty cutoff wheel and cut the blade roughly to shape.  Sorry no pics.  I can tell you the steel is hard and while not difficult it was not like cutting thru butter.  I also stopped when the steel got warm to the touch so I could cool it.  Once I made the rough cuts I used a drum sanding tool on my dremil to shape the blade.  I was initially rounding it like most Kephart copies but I wasn't liking it.  I looked at the sample Ethan Becker has and it was pointier than most copies.  I made mine even pointier, not sure I am liking it as angular as I made it.  The edge came up nice on my water stones but I'm telling you this steel was heat treated hard. 

I'll sand the handle a little and use bees wax or boiled linseed oil for it.  You can still see some paint residue on the blade.  I was not nice to it over the years but its been a great tool for my yard.  It'll still be a yard tool but I'll treat it a little better now. 

Anyone do a Old Hickory Mod?

IMG_0454.jpg
* IMG_0454.jpg (Filesize: 126.92 KB)
IMG_0455.jpg
* IMG_0455.jpg (Filesize: 135.39 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Old Hickory Kephart impersonation mod.
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:41:19 PM
Alright I'm back.  I did some refining on the blade and sanded the wood handles a bit.  I do like a the knife I showed a pic of that Ethan Becker owns.  I wanted to do my interpretation however.  I sanded down the wood with a progression of sandpapers.  I was trying to knock down any edges but wanting to leave the flats.  I also wanted to get rid of some grime so I could add a preservative. 

After a bit of a cleanup and sharpen of the spine I am happy to stop.  There is still some paint on the blade but it'll likely come off with use.  Like I said this blade has not been treated well and I've probably done more to it than I'm proud to admit.  It'll still be a yard knife and a fooling around the back yard knife so perfection was not my intent. 

I applied my bees wax https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,79894.msg1821497.html#msg1821497 mix to the entire knife.  Its drying/curing now in the sun.  I heated the mix up to bring it to a liquid state before I applied.  Once I get some leather I probably need to make a sheath.  I may also buy one tho  :dunno:.     
IMG_0456.jpg
* IMG_0456.jpg (Filesize: 327.53 KB)
IMG_0457.jpg
* IMG_0457.jpg (Filesize: 284.4 KB)
IMG_0460.jpg
* IMG_0460.jpg (Filesize: 203.86 KB)
IMG_0458.jpg
* IMG_0458.jpg (Filesize: 339.27 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:45:28 PM
Simple fun project.  Cheap knife ( $2-$3 ) flea market find, Dremel, sandpaper, beeswax, and time ( 2 hours ).  Oh and my whetstones.  You could use the sandpaper to do the edge  :tu:

Thanks for looking.  Lets see yours now  :popcorn: 
IMG_0461.jpg
* IMG_0461.jpg (Filesize: 189.38 KB)
IMG_0464.jpg
* IMG_0464.jpg (Filesize: 251.57 KB)
IMG_0468.jpg
* IMG_0468.jpg (Filesize: 294.37 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:07:18 PM
Looks good !      :like: :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 07:13:07 PM
Looks like a useful knife to me  :tu:

What do they look like to start with, and what does this Becker thing look like?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 07:15:27 PM
I like...
Grumpy approved yellow-star.jpg
* Grumpy approved yellow-star.jpg (Filesize: 92.52 KB)
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:14 PM
Not mine but this is near what it looked like.

Heres Beckers version.

Heres what they are trying to be.

Esse Quam Videri

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 09:43:58 PM
Nice, fun mod, Aloha!  :tu:
THIS might be something to try these days; hmmm...I'll have to look around the kitchen and see what I can use.
Thanks for the inspiration, and hope I can see yours all "cured and seasoned" soon! :cheers:

:like: :gimme: :tu:

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 10:04:08 PM
Nice mod :hatsoff: Looks like a handy knife :like:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:17:22 PM
Thank you.

Here it is after several  :think: 5 applications of my beeswax.  I ran the tap over it for several minutes and the water beaded up nicely.  Over all I am happy I finally got around to doing this mod.  This was a fun small project on a knife that will be used mainly at home.     
IMG_0470.jpg
* IMG_0470.jpg (Filesize: 289.96 KB)
IMG_0480.jpg
* IMG_0480.jpg (Filesize: 126.6 KB)
IMG_0481.jpg
* IMG_0481.jpg (Filesize: 128.88 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:32 PM
Not mine but this is near what it looked like.
(Image removed from quote.)

Heres Beckers version.

Heres what they are trying to be.

:2tu:  :salute:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 02:23:23 AM
Thank you.

Here it is after several  :think: 5 applications of my beeswax.  I ran the tap over it for several minutes and the water beaded up nicely.  Over all I am happy I finally got around to doing this mod.  This was a fun small project on a knife that will be used mainly at home.   

Nice project ending, Aloha; liking it a lot!!!
  :tu: :like: :cheers: :gimme:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 02:29:05 AM
Certainly looks like a good working tool  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 03:35:24 AM
 :iagree: Maybe a good garden beater  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 04:42:17 AM
Exactly. I was already beating on it. 
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 05:36:55 PM
Certainly looks like a good working tool  :cheers:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 06:38:02 PM

Great looking project Aloha  :tu: :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 07:04:02 PM
Thank you.  Its ( Old Hickory ) is a pretty darn good knife.  I was a little surprised how well the heat treatment seemed.  I've always been able to get this blade very sharp and it has endured some rather abusive use.  The thinner blade stock is a treat.  I may try to drill a lanyard hole towards the rear but I'm liking the clean look. 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 07:44:38 PM
Awesome project Aloha  :drool:.

I've been thinking about getting myself that Becker Kephart for some time now, but at around 180 Euro it's a bit too steep in my opinion.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 07:58:47 PM
Thank you.

The BK62 looks like a great knife and comis loves his.  He did an amazing patina on his.  I think the price is steep as well.  The OH knife is certainly one that could either inspire a purchase or hold off one.  I've always liked the design of the Kephart.   
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:45 PM
Thank you.

The BK62 looks like a great knife and comis loves his.  He did an amazing patina on his.  I think the price is steep as well.  The OH knife is certainly one that could either inspire a purchase or hold off one.  I've always liked the design of the Kephart.   

I know mate, looking at Comis his BK62 only made me want one more ...

I'm going to keep an eye out for the BK62, the webshop where I buy most of my stuff often has nice discounts, around Christmas they sold the BK62 for 150 Euro, but sadly enough my budget was very tight back then. 

Maybe next time  :dd:.

I do like the look and design very much, for some reason I'm more and more drawn to the classic designs lately (maybe because I'm becoming a bit of a classic design myself, as the years pass...).  I used to love the tactical looking knives, but now I prefer the knife designs that have been around for years and years.  Like the BK62, the Helle Viking or any other classic looking Puukko or Bushcraft style knife.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 10:53:18 PM
I cannot agree more.  I think, at least in my current mind set, that I've just come back around.  I have always liked the classics.  Time tested tools that were worked hard in their days.  comis did such an outstanding job on his that I almost pulled the trigger myself.  I am always a bit slow when deals come along.  I hesitate while deliberating then pass as I initially do. 

I am happy with my Old Hickory mod as its a bit of my take on the classic.  I'm sure as always when I continue to think on a certain tool enough, I eventually get one.  I've been going thru what I have and it would fill a void in my fixed blades thats for sure.  As if I need a reason right?   :rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 03:59:22 AM
Excellent mod on that OH :like: I have looked at getting one of these for several years now and seeing how you reprofiled this one and made it that much more functional looking, you may have pushed me to the edge of getting one :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Very nice :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 04:09:39 AM
Question. What are the length measurements? Overall, handle length and blade length (before if you can remember) and now :cheers: :tu: I am wondering if you started with the 7 inch butcher/skinning knife :think: :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:28 AM
Aloha, fantastic job on the mod!  I think making knife mod like this always gives people a chance to bond with a knife that most other couldn't.  And years of service with only a few bucks, what a great deal!

Your post motivated me to get a Old Hickory, I went a little overboard to get the newer version with the sheath. :facepalm:   I haven't put it in use, but somehow do have good faith it would work really well as an lightweight knife.  I am really picky on knife balance, and this OH 5.5 inch has the perfect balance right at the first pin, almost center of my first finger. :like:

I think in retrospect, the good thing about modding one after a longer OH knife is that basically you could adjust the balance point of the knife and profile of the knife to best suit your needs.  Not to mention it is cheaper too if you already have the tools or even the sheath for the knife.

Guess what just came in! 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 12:48:06 PM
Sweet blades, comis :dd: Both of them tick boxes off for me :drool: :like:

BTW what is the finish on the blade in your pic? :think:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:33:00 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 02:16:59 PM
I'll measure up the OH today Poncho.  That forced patina on comis knife is insane right?  HIs BK62 is stunning  :drool:

@comis, I saw some pretty good reviews of this new OH.  Its cool they listened and have seen what customers have done with their knives.  As folks steered towards thinner bushcraft knives the OH makes great sense.  For the price its not a bad deal for entry into bush crafting.  The knife is thin but not wimpy.  I love how sharp these knives get too.  The one I use in my kitchen is amazing.     
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 16, 2020, 02:21:33 PM
Sweet blades, comis :dd: Both of them tick boxes off for me :drool: :like:

BTW what is the finish on the blade in your pic? :thinking:

Poncho, thank you! :cheers:   

They are actually both stock finishes, the only thing I have done to the Becker BK62 Kephart is to put a forced patina on it.  Once I get a little more familiar with the OH knife, I would hope to put a similar patina on that blade too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 16, 2020, 02:23:41 PM
 :pok: pleeeeeeeese tutorial. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 16, 2020, 02:32:48 PM
I'll measure up the OH today Poncho.  That forced patina on comis knife is insane right?  HIs BK62 is stunning  :drool:

@comis, I saw some pretty good reviews of this new OH.  Its cool they listened and have seen what customers have done with their knives.  As folks steered towards thinner bushcraft knives the OH makes great sense.  For the price its not a bad deal for entry into bush crafting.  The knife is thin but not wimpy.  I love how sharp these knives get too.  The one I use in my kitchen is amazing.     

Thank you for the kind words!

Yes, I have already felt that this OH could be a work horse of a knife.  It really is the best kept "open" secret to outdoor fixed blade.  Lightweight, full tang, probably plenty strong for most task outdoor.  I love the sound it makes--a crisp 'ting' resonance sound whenever I use to it slice something.  It is almost like using a short sword.

I am glad this version they made have taken the consideration about length vs balance, it arrives with the perfect balance just right about the first pin(or first finger) and the sheath is actually alright in quality as well.  But the way I see it--option to buy one cheap and modding one still exist, you could always mod the shape and balance it till it is perfect for your needs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%