Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire starting.

Aloha · 11 · 1069

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Fire starting.
on: April 09, 2020, 10:04:10 PM
Decided to have a play with fire. 
The knife kit is something l put together for fun a while ago. 

Its a John Landi with kydex sheath.  I got it from a member.  I have no clue what the knife steel is?  I did a lot of work on the edge after using it for a few camping trips.  I did a convex edge on it and a bit of a "polish".  IIRC its carbon steel and behaves like it.  Its wicked sharp and holds an edge real well.  The other knife some might remember as I just did the mod on it.  Its an Old Hickory Butcher knife.  Thats the knife I'll use today since I am very familiar with the Landi.     

The sheath was simple and didn't come with a belt loop.  I added one and some inner tube as well.   I also added the pouch I had that fits my fire tin and strop loaded with white compound.  The inner tube holds my fire steel with homemade red cedar handle. 

Inside the fire tin I have Jute, charred Levi material, raw Levi material, pine resin, fat wood, a cotton fire tinder, storm matches, and a magnifying glass ( binocular lens ).  Its a fun way to make fire when car camping. 

Today was about my modded Old hickory.  I did a 90 degree on the spine and after the few days of rain I wanted to play with fat wood and ferro rods.  I wanted to see if any adjustment would be needed on the edge or spine of both.  Lets see it the handle needed work too.   

The wood is apple thats been out in the rain as well as the fat wood.  I started by trying to feather the apple wood.  Not so good as it was not dry.  I then feathered the fat wood.  This worked a lot better.  Great thing about fat wood in my experience is that it will light wet about as good as it will dry.

EDIT.  Thats not blood its paint drops. 

IMG_0536.jpg
* IMG_0536.jpg (Filesize: 262.9 KB)
IMG_0539.jpg
* IMG_0539.jpg (Filesize: 182.72 KB)
IMG_0538.jpg
* IMG_0538.jpg (Filesize: 270.96 KB)
IMG_0537.jpg
* IMG_0537.jpg (Filesize: 283.01 KB)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:23:00 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Fire starting.
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:15:21 PM
Alright lets try to feather the Apple wood.  The edge I put on the OH mod mostly followed the bevel already on it.  I don't know what that was but I tried to not micro bevel at the apex.  I really wanted a micro convex ( is that a thing? ).  The handle felt really good in hand.  No discomfort or edges that needed sanding.  It was smooth, as it should be since I used up to 1200 grit.

Heres my thread on the knife.  Sorry I did do a full before and after.  The project like many are impromptu. 
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84264.msg2104711.html#msg2104711

I really like the thinness of the blade.  The wood was very flexible so curls were not happening and it was my first real use of the knife. 

I also feathered fat wood.  I love fat wood.  A little bit better with the feathers on the fat wood.  Truth is, you don't really need to be great at feathering fat wood you can also scrap it.  Fat wood lights just as long you can get it fine enough to take a spark. 

EDIT.  Thats not blood its paint drops.   
IMG_0541.jpg
* IMG_0541.jpg (Filesize: 317.66 KB)
IMG_0542.jpg
* IMG_0542.jpg (Filesize: 341.97 KB)
IMG_0543.jpg
* IMG_0543.jpg (Filesize: 352.24 KB)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 10:22:21 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:21:07 PM
Lets test the spine.  It felt sharp to the touch and I did debark ( sorry no pic ) the Apple wood very easily.  I didn't scrap the fat wood but I'm certain it would've performed wonderfully. 

First I threw a spark on the Apple wood.  No way this was lighting.  The wood was wet/green/not finely feathered.  The fat wood took a spark easily.  Not much of a surprise there.  I then put a piece of fat wood under the Apple wood and the Apple caught.  The winds are steady but if I let the fat wood burn more then added thin slivers of Apple it would have been a decent fire. 

I was happy with the performance of the modded Old Hickory Kephart interpretation.  I need a sheath for it. 

Thanks for looking.  Go out and play with fire...... Uh...... safely that is and supervised  ;) 

EDIT. I looks like blood drops but thats paint. 

IMG_0544.jpg
* IMG_0544.jpg (Filesize: 340.06 KB)
IMG_0545.jpg
* IMG_0545.jpg (Filesize: 338.26 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 10:27:48 PM
That's a very capable fire starting kit you put together there my friend.

That magnifying lens is great, I also have a magnifying lens in my hiking kit, you could try to use the magnifyer in your SAK, but you and I both know that the ones we have in our kit will make firestarting easier than with the one on a SAK (I'm not saying it can't be done, h*ll, Bear Grylls can even start a fire with a plastic bag of "yellow water"  ::)).

Great topic mate  :salute:.

:popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:37:43 PM
Thank you.

I bought a pair of trashed binoculars and removed the lenses.  It only had the smaller eye ones.  They are great and I've lit quite a lot on fire with them.  Lucky here in SoCal we have sunshine quite a lot so having a lens is an easy way to start fire.  I've tried with my mag glass and so far not good. 

It was nice to have a little play. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:49:11 PM
Way to go Aloha!!
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 04:17:23 AM
Just seeing this and am gonna give it a better read in the morning :tu:

Anything to do with fire and knives is great to me though :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 04:24:24 AM
You may have put it somewhere already but what knife pattern was the Old Hickory before modding :think: Great pics as well, Aloha 8) :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 03:55:09 AM
Thanks for the link :tu: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 03:47:03 PM
Once I get back to the flea markets I'll be sure to pick up a few more OH knives to have a play with.  I've passed up on many since getting mine.  I've seen some really large ones too.  Mostly what I see is the butchers knife tho. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD