Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Explorer Question

Offline tonyg

Explorer Question
on: March 31, 2020, 04:40:12 PM
I've been wanting to buy an Explorer for some time now, but not sure whether to buy new or used on account of the magnifier.  It's between the original with the 8x glass magnifier with the grey plastic housing, or the most recent model with the 6x glass lens in a clear plastic housing.  Swissknifeshoppe has assured me that all their new stock no longer have the lens popping out of the housing issue, so that's not a factor.  I was just wondering which you prefer for general "exploring": smaller lens but higher magnification, or larger lens but lower magnification, and why?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

us Offline Acuphys1

Re: Explorer Question
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:48:03 PM
I have both and prefer the glass. More durable frame, doesn't scratch, easier to start fire. New one is bigger and seems flimsier. I use the glass outdoors, plastic inside.

Get both if you can. Hope that helps a bit.

:climber:

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Use what you have to get what you want.

Offline tonyg

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 04:56:41 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the newest ones (made after 2012) were glass as well.

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 05:06:11 PM
I think they are plastic, mine is. Oh wait, mine can pop out so not sure of the model you are referring  to.

:dunno:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:08:30 PM
I can’t say I have a preference for the old glass over the new glass. And I certainly dislike the plastic ones. But I prefer the build of older knives over newer ones. So I have a tendency to grab the gray frame magnifiers when I need one.

New knives with the 2.0mm tang seem a bit cheap and flimsy to me.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
I would go with the 8x and glass lens.

8x is better than 6x.

Glass is better than plastic.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:24 PM
The field of view is better with the new one, but the gray frame is just old school cool!  I have both, but if I gave up one it'd be the newer model.
Barry

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 05:45:28 PM
I've been wanting to buy an Explorer for some time now, but not sure whether to buy new or used on account of the magnifier.  It's between the original with the 8x glass magnifier with the grey plastic housing, or the most recent model with the 6x glass lens in a clear plastic housing.  Swissknifeshoppe has assured me that all their new stock no longer have the lens popping out of the housing issue, so that's not a factor.  I was just wondering which you prefer for general "exploring": smaller lens but higher magnification, or larger lens but lower magnification, and why?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have been looking at Explorers as well.  I believe and maybe someone who has an older one can confirm this that the phillips screwdriver is longer on the older model. 

Personally if I get one I will go with an older model due to the phillips and higher magnification.  Not that I plan on lighting fires with it but the higher magnification might be beneficial for that as well. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 06:06:55 PM
Here are my 3 Explorers.  I prefer the one with yellow lanyard best.  It has what seems to be a slightly larger field of view over the middle one.  Those lenses are glass and both are hookless which might be why I like them best as well.  When talking old version I believe there were a couple  :think:.  There a great thread which I will try to find.
There is some magnifying differences in the old ones. 
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Magnifying+Glass
IMG_0507.jpg
* IMG_0507.jpg (Filesize: 134.38 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:26 PM
I can’t say I have a preference for the old glass over the new glass. And I certainly dislike the plastic ones. But I prefer the build of older knives over newer ones. So I have a tendency to grab the gray frame magnifiers when I need one.

New knives with the 2.0mm tang seem a bit cheap and flimsy to me.
:iagree :  To all recent posts.
They don't  make'm like they used to.   ;)

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:30 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Acuphys1

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 06:31:11 PM

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 06:42:10 PM
I have been looking at Explorers as well.  I believe and maybe someone who has an older one can confirm this that the phillips screwdriver is longer on the older model. 

Personally if I get one I will go with an older model due to the phillips and higher magnification.  Not that I plan on lighting fires with it but the higher magnification might be beneficial for that as well.

Confirmed. The older Phillips is longer and better.

That’s what she said.  ;)
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 06:56:30 PM
looking at that other thread on the magnifying lens, I'm thinking I might be the only person who doesn't like to look at insects ...  :dunno:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 06:58:10 PM
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30