Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Powerlock SOG thread

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
My Powerlock SOG thread
on: February 08, 2020, 01:51:26 AM
SOG stands for "Studies and Observation Group". Thus, I've decided to name this my PowerLock SOG thread for my studies and observations into this new-to-me tool. I'm no stranger to compound leverage from SOG. I have a PocketPowerPlier and love it. I can get work "Super" size tools typically get done, all in something no bigger than a PST. Over the next several days, I'm going to see how it works out in use of all the tools. I got this one used in a lot, but to me, I can't tell it was ever used.

Given the hex-head bolts, I think this one's rather early. May even be an American-made one. 

First doing some work around the barnyard BOTH handle covers popped off. NOT FUN. I was about ready to list it here for trade. But, some stuff changed my mind.

The scissors. Quite frankly they stink. One the lever handle is on the wrong side of the frame--facing inward instead of outward. Secondly, they don't cut too great. Then, throw in the flimsy spring they use that looks like it will break. Thus, this tool's gotta go. Too bad SOG is out of wire strippers and V-Cutters.

The saw. This is a pull-cut design with angled teeth, The teeth seem quite sharp. In my opinion, the pull-cut design is more effective than double-cut. Gonna have to wait until the pile of whittling sticks I have in the barnyard dries up from the rain and snow to test it.

1/4 adapter. Works good, and holds tightly. Spring, as I understand, is prone to breakage. I'll have to buy the SOG bit adapter soon. Locks half-open too. Not that it's any use--handle cover gets in the way; and kinda awkward to use with the tool open.

The crimpers. This tells me what I have is a B61 model. Retails for $90, and I got it in a lot along with a Leap, four cheapos, and a Crosscut for $52.  I don't work with explosives, so the blasting cap crimper's kinda useless. At least unlike Gerber and LM, they are not in a position to really mess up the most usable part of the pliers.

Tonight, I tried the crimper on the coaxial cable on the back of the cable box. It caused the "should have been replaced a long time ago"  end that was always popping off the cable to crumble. It was pot metal (brass plated zamac anyway, and was bound to have this happen.

So, I went downstairs, thinking Granddad had a box of them somewhere. None near the cable box. I remembered the Comcast tech, back when we went back to Xfinity from Dish Network had me cut the cable coming into the house from the dish to get it out of the way. Thus, I decided to see if I could salvage that end. The Dish tech had tightened it up to a splitter rather tightly. The compound leverage had no trouble busting it loose and taking it off. No need to get the ten-inch Crescent wrench out of my toolbox.

Cut the cable as well to yank the end off later; which it looks like it is crimped on too well; which means I'm likely gonna have to buy some coaxial female ends next Lowe's run. My old Protos were worn out very badly, so bad, I had to borrow the tech's Quinn (Harbor Freight) cutters when I cut the cable flush with the wall back in August. Powerlock had no issue at all and it took little resistance due to the compound leverage. Cut it like hot butter.

I'm beginning to kinda like it.

se Offline RF52

Re: My Powerlock SOG thread
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 02:00:47 AM
:popcorn:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 03:21:14 AM
Nice and a cool name  :like: :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 05:19:16 AM
I am very fond of my powerlock. I'm hoping that the more you use this tool the more you will like it. You got a good deal and it's a keeper. :tu: Most users take the covers off anyway.

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:08:46 PM
I had a BO PowerLock that I received for X-Mas, but the BO was really splotchy like it had not been degreased before it was processed. During the brief amount of time before I returned, I really liked it. So, I ordered another in silver and got it last week. QC on it is pretty flawless. It is a quirky MT, but it is also a 20 year old design, so people should take that into consideration. As for the scissors, I don't see an issue as they cut great and never thought of the positioning till I read you post. But I guess everything is subjective.

Anyhow, glad this mildly dead sub is getting some love and I am looking forward to future updates to your thoughts on the PowerLock.  :cheers:

mx Online CAMPBELL03

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 11:04:13 PM
Do you recommend an entry model?
I dont have any SOG, but I would like to try.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero....

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:20:21 PM
SOGs are a different breed of MT because of the geared pliers. The gearing means the pliers open up less for the same amount of handle opening compared to other MTs. This can make if difficult to grab larger items, but the flip side is that you get great gripping power.
My fav SOG is the Pocket PowerPlier. Compact, very well made and a fantastic needle nose head.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Screwdriver

Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 01:53:50 AM

I like my PowerLock quite a bit.

Offline devam.zac

• New User
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
Hello! LINK REMOVED
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 12:14:32 PM by zoidberg »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 02:12:30 PM

I started with the Paratool, wanted compound leverage, so I got a PocketPowerPlier afterwards. Honestly, I'd lean more towards the PocketPowerPlier, as it's a little more easily carried.  My problem with SOG now is that they no longer carry the individual components, and are seemingly abandoning the older models that were designed with that in mind.  Heck, my Paratool's manual even gives a list of parts that could have been mail-ordered from SOG.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 01:22:20 AM

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 01:30:59 AM
cody, they still sell components

https://sogknives.com/by-product-type/accessories/

Some. But I have noticed a lot, they are still listed, but all options (black/silver) are unavailable. But, I've noticed the wire-stripper component is now available once again. So, must there have been a run on them? I have ordered one of them now before they run out. It will replace the awful scissors in the PowerLock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%